Awakening Waking Dream Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awakening Waking Dream Suggestions

So I am going to run a solo game of Awakening for a friend of mine out of spite because I ran an Awakening game that failed and I feel I didn't run the game right. Mage is an incredibly dense game full of a lot of good ideas...maybe too many at once <.<. Anyway! So they are playing a gal that is very..Azula like if you want to use a pop culture reference. All about excellence, and proving their superiority and despising their own "weaknesses". So I thought I should run a Waking World Dream with a quest that focuses on her feelings in regards to her job/employment situation. She works as a Waitress and is incredibly passionate about it, because of her whole "I must be the best at everything I do", but at the same time she wants a "better" job more fit one of her standing. So I thought that all of these traits is a good fit for an Obrimos Awakening due to the Prime sphere focus on hierarchy, power, and such.

So I thought her quest could actually be rather simple on the onset of it. Have her Waking World Dream quest be to prove that she is the best damned waitress in the world, so that when she wakes up she can leave that job behind knowing that she will be unsurpassed. But I need to make this a more...abstract quest than that, so therefore, I am turning to you forumites to give me ideas for ways to add them Aetheric spice to this quest to make it a cool experience.

Make the Dream reinterpret the whole situation as being an acolyte in the service of some grandiose high priest in a temple of elaborate ritual and mystery and etiquette, where all of the rest of the attending priesthood needs to be provided with the correct services and shows of deference, to work one's way up the hierarchy and stages of revelation until standing directly before the top figure, signing off with an act of supplication that carries a subtext of wishing to rise to be the liege's peer (or even superior).

That would be something that I think would start off in the restaurant or diner or wherever from which the template is derived, but maybe necessarily expands beyond it when I suppose such behaviour can't really hold down the job. Possibly it could be worked that the necessary ritual is very subtle, such that the person ends up coming across as eccentric but ultimately harmless, and forgivable enough when it makes her a good employee.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

So the Awakening went as follows: while working at the diner she suddenly transitioned into it being a grand temple, and after having done her initial shift she went out and a guide pointed her in the direction to where she could find the "vestments of the best priestess". So she intimidated a bronze angel into giving her the perfect sandals(flat shoes), she then later bypassed the warrior angel(a cop) to get the perfect headdress(waitress hat), and then finally she solved the riddle of the cage(a mystical lattice of mana and force forming a cage around the perfect priestess robes). She also picked up an abandoned snake as a companion...whom she named Sneky... Finally, after days of wandering, she returned to the temple and confronted an apparition of her father decrying her line of work and trying to make her feel inferior and despise her job. She in turn stood up to him and declared herself the best, accepted her job, and finally banishing her misgivings about her profession. Realizing that she is in fact the best waitress. And giving her name to a client while working her shift as a way to declare herself to the Watchtower.

Does this work as an Obrimos awakening scene?

Comment

She faced Power, and reined it to her Command. Sounds about right.

MtAw Homebrew:
        Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
        New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

I'd say it's a bit more internal than the typical Obrimos Awakening, but still fits the overall theme.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
          X