[2nd edition] a very specific question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2nd edition] a very specific question

Hi folks. I re read the sections on Mage Sight on the 2e corebook and on Signs of Sorcery,but i am still having trouble understanding how specific stuff looks to a mage of each path. I was curious and I thought about asking the forums. How do you think modern Machu Picchu would look like under Mage Sight?
    Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 07-27-2021, 08:45 PM.

Mage Sight is mostly a narrative tool so the ST can highlight specific things to both the players and characters.
    So it looks how you need it to look, you get to emphasize what is plot relevant.

But in general here are some ideas for Machu Picchu

Acanthus: The mountain top is crawling with vines each blooming with hundreds of multi-colored flowers. A grand storm rolls over the top of the mountain threatening to consume the world. it's all invisible and visible at the same time. The very air is thick with power even a sleeper could feel this places connection to greatness, the gods themselves walked this very earth.

Mastigos: The ruins of Machu Picchu reek of broken promises and the collapse of a great civilization. A dark presence hold sway over what remains, alluring and dangerous. The Arcana of Space has deep ties to this place everything about it from it's height to its fame cause distortions in the Arcana.

Moros: Machu Picchu is dead like a necropolis raised up to the top of the world from the depths of the Underworld. The ruins remain solid as the hardest stone weighing their strength against the might of time. The death of Machu Picchu is beyond rot only still cold stone and long forgotten bones linger. You feel its death on the wind.

Obrimos: The sun illuminates the mountain top the white stone of the ruins glows and as if by mirage the former citadel atop the mountain is visible, grander then it could have ever truly been. The eye of the Supernal watches this place and under that gaze you sweat. The raw heat of power leaves your nostrils full of a burning smell and your eyes red and watering.

Thyrsus: Through your mage sight you can no longer see the ruins of Machu Picchu, the jungle has reclaimed it completely. Unknown animals howl and call out as you approach. Life swarms through even crack of stone and every inch of earth. You can see it all and it sees you.

Comment

Originally posted by basketcase View Post
      Mage Sight is mostly a narrative tool so the ST can highlight specific things to both the players and characters.
      So it looks how you need it to look, you get to emphasize what is plot relevant.

But in general here are some ideas for Machu Picchu

Acanthus: The mountain top is crawling with vines each blooming with hundreds of multi-colored flowers. A grand storm rolls over the top of the mountain threatening to consume the world. it's all invisible and visible at the same time. The very air is thick with power even a sleeper could feel this places connection to greatness, the gods themselves walked this very earth.

Mastigos: The ruins of Machu Picchu reek of broken promises and the collapse of a great civilization. A dark presence hold sway over what remains, alluring and dangerous. The Arcana of Space has deep ties to this place everything about it from it's height to its fame cause distortions in the Arcana.

Moros: Machu Picchu is dead like a necropolis raised up to the top of the world from the depths of the Underworld. The ruins remain solid as the hardest stone weighing their strength against the might of time. The death of Machu Picchu is beyond rot only still cold stone and long forgotten bones linger. You feel its death on the wind.

Obrimos: The sun illuminates the mountain top the white stone of the ruins glows and as if by mirage the former citadel atop the mountain is visible, grander then it could have ever truly been. The eye of the Supernal watches this place and under that gaze you sweat. The raw heat of power leaves your nostrils full of a burning smell and your eyes red and watering.

Thyrsus: Through your mage sight you can no longer see the ruins of Machu Picchu, the jungle has reclaimed it completely. Unknown animals howl and call out as you approach. Life swarms through even crack of stone and every inch of earth. You can see it all and it sees you.
      That's really good. Thank you!

Comment

One thing to keep in mind with Mage Sight is that the actual semiotics are unique to every individual mage, although the actual information acquired is not. The motifs differ, but their meaning is objective and universal, inherent to the subject being scrutinised (although each Path absorbs different forms of information, even for the same Arcanum). It's a good idea to not mistake the symbols for their meaning.

I've got to be honest, I do think the previous suggestions actually mistake some of the driving themes of the Paths, as described in the core and Signs of Sorcery. In particular, I feel as though the Supernal Realms have a stronger tendency to depict things as they currently are, rather than as they were.

For the specific subject of Machu Piccu... what would be seen can depend a bit on whether there's an intention to place something concerning a Mystery there. Without that, I could only offer suggestions based on the site as it exists in reality.

Arcadia is concerned with events unfolding in the manner of a narrative, purposefully structured to convey theme and meaning. One sees echoes of a thing's past and especially of its future, and the weight of destiny that can guide its path. I think Machu Piccu as it is would be a place that is mostly past its most significant roles; an Acanthus would observe it and feel a particularly striking contrast between the remains of a significant history and a future with few prospects to show for it (with a certain sense for the chain of actions and decisions that created that history). Areas slated for restoration might come across as particularly interesting, seeing the strange loop of the past so directly informing the structure of the future.

I think the Mastigos view is going to pick up a lot on the complex emotional and intellectual interplay bound up in the place, the tangle of Chains created by connections from its cultural heritage and academic (even commercial) relevance. Plans for the place, what people hope to discover by analysing it, thoughts and feelings of the visitors and a sense for the area's presence in the greater consciousness are all going to leave impressions.

Stygia will not emphasise something's enduring qualities, because Stygia says that nothing endures; its Sight will convey a strong sense of how this was once a place filled with structures that meant something to people and how it has crumbled away, displaying impermanence and transformation. More than that, Stygia conveys the truth that material objects are distractions, traps for the soul and anchors to a life that will ultimately end, attachment to them a fleeting and futile thing; I'd say that scrutiny is likely to reveal unflattering symbols related to the will to hold on to these things in memory of people and a society long since departed, especially the parts being restored.

The Mandalas of Forces revealed to Obrimos are really more concerned with the interplay of natural energies, so Machu Piccu itself probably won't look much different to any other mountaintop. Dominions do display the essential nature of a thing in hierarchical terms, but again that is something concerned with how it is now, not being a preservation of past glories; perhaps the site's Dominion could include a reference to the noteworthy past as a major royal estate with imagery of a downfallen castle, but its current state is essentially a museum piece, and that's how Prime is going to frame it. Perhaps the whole place comes across as though it's enclosed in a great glass display case.

It should be remembered that Sight of the Primal Wild conveys the influence of life more in terms of Ecstasies than visual images, and I'd also say that with Machu Piccu as it currently is a lot of that Ecstasy is actually going to be focused on the matter of how overgrowing flora was cleared away by human endeavour. Still, that also qualifies as life influencing life, the interplay of organisms with an undertone of the raw emotional motive to have done so and the experiences of those who witness the derived result. And while the original estate is long gone, it probably left a strong impression in the Shadow (possibly even its spiritual reflection survives there), in addition to the new resonances brought by the historical and archaeological interest and tourist attraction. Pursuing the Singing Paths of these influences might lead one to where those resonances originate, the spiritual implications of the uncovering and attention, and maybe even some other parts of the mountain to which native spirits are interconnected (or have fled, if the change in resonance has displaced the original hierarchy).

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

That's a really good description too

Comment

Working...
          X