Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about 1st and 2nd ed (plus advice abt spells and storytelling...)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avenging Hathor View Post

I thought shielding prevented an Arcanum-related phenomenon from taking place (that's why it can be used to protect yourself against an Arcanum-related incoming attack)
    Yes, I should have included that it also protects a subject from phenomena under the purview of an Arcanum.

Originally posted by Avenging Hathor
    No matter if the phenomenon is "good" or "bad" from ethical (or utilitarian) point of view.
    i.e. spell Ghost Shield:

"The caster creates a shield that protects her subject from ghostly
    Numina, Influences, Manifestations, Death spells, and any
    death-related powers of other supernatural creatures. Any power
    attempting to pierce the shield provokes a Clash of Wills roll.

This is a Shielding spell. It could prevent a beneficial influence or numina from affecting the spellcaster: nowhere in the spell it says that it only blocks damaging or harmful spells. Hence my understanding of how Shielding works.
    A Numina or Influence may not be harmful, but its still intrusive, and a bit of an exceptional thing to be targeted with. I think things that supernaturally alter you, in any fashion, or valid enough to count as something to be protected from.

Originally posted by Avenging Hathor
    So, protecting someone's Mind from all effects, natural or supernatural, that could affect it and change it - and the creation of a mother-child bond is something radically changing someone's mind, I think - keeping that mind "untouched", sounded like Shielding to me.
    Whereas this, well... the idea that forming a loving bond is something to be protected from seems to me like a really weird perspective, and I think in principle that opening the door to Shielding as something that can prevent any effect whatsoever can let in a lot of things that don't really belong there.

Besides, this idea of something that would "shield" the mind from anything that can interact with it... how does that not render a person comatose as all of their sensory input shuts down, and possibly even their thought processes can't continue?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Whereas this, well... the idea that forming a loving bond is something to be protected from seems to me like a really weird perspective, and I think in principle that opening the door to Shielding as something that can prevent any effect whatsoever can let in a lot of things that don't really belong there.

Besides, this idea of something that would "shield" the mind from anything that can interact with it... how does that not render a person comatose as all of their sensory input shuts down, and possibly even their thought processes can't continue?
      Of course I don't think that a thing such as a mother-child bond is something negative.
      My perspective was more like: if it's something you cast *before* the change happens, it's Shielding, because it prevents the change from happening altogether. Whereas if it's something you cast when the change is already happened or is happening (eg, a mother who already loves her son very much), it's Fraying (or Unraveling, or Unmaking, depending what exactly one has to weaken - destroy).
      BUT, if Shielding is not about prevention, but about protection, seems like I've been going wrong about it.
      BTW let's say that your familiar has a curative numina and you have a numinous shield spell upon you: you're unconscious, and your familiar wants to help. He tries to use his numina over you: would it clash against your numinous shield, because the spell would detect that numina as an intrusion, full stop? Or would the spell detect a protective-non hostile intent and let the curative numina just pass through? Would the fact that this is your familiar change something? (i.e. your familiar is an exemption to the rule)

Comment

I’d say the spell normally blocks all Numina… but can selectively do so with +1 Reach or Add Fate •.

MtAw Homebrew:
        Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
        New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

Working...
        X