Homerules by The Throne + Minor Template

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homerules by The Throne + Minor Template

Path alternative: No Path, No Ruling / Normal / Inferior Arcana. One mana point is spent for each spell other than Praxis or Rote. For Supernal Summons, any Arcana at 3 is considered to be “of one's plan”, the Annualities are on an Arcana of the caster's choice, decided from time to time.

Primary Factors Alternative: Gnosis is considered and not the level of Arcana.
    Alternative Template I: It starts with three dots divided between two, maximum three, Arcana chosen, maximum second level to creation; a neo Awakened person would only have a dot in the two chosen Arcana

Template II Alternative: In addition to the sourcebook limit, it is added that it is not possible to learn Arcana higher than the value of Gnosis +1.

Praxis & Rotes Acquisition Alternative: You learn a Praxis of the same level acquired, or already acquired in case of character creation, of the Arcana and not based on Gnosis.
    If you start with Death 2 and Time 1, you will have a Praxis among the spells of: Death 1, Death 2, Time 1.
    Increasing Gnosis does not grant any Praxis, you earn a free Rote for each dot of Gnosis: it is a typical gift / reward honored in Awakened societies.

Alternative for Improvised Casting & Teamwork: If the magician does not have two dots in the Arcana, more than the one required to cast the Primary Factor is halved, with the exception of Praxis, and will enjoy a maximum of a single free reach.
    For these cases only, it is possible to spend +2 Yantra dice to convert it into extra Reach: it is also allowed for Praxis.
    In case of Gnosis 1, it will be necessary to spend -2 dice to bring at least at 1 the Primary Factor.
    A spell can be cast in Teamwork even when it is NOT cast as a Ritual.

Paradox Alternative I: Paradox dice convert to Paradox points, following the Goblin Debt model.
    Narrator can spend them at his discretion and at any time, whether the pc are casting a spell or not, according to the Paradox Release chart.
    With nine points, It is possible to DENY the discharge setted by the Narrator after knowing what it would entail, at the cost of increasing the number of points by 1.
    The presence of Sleepers instead increases the points based on the progression of the table, instead of starting to assign Dice Trick.
    Upon reaching or exceeding ten points, the person loses access to his spells: the abyssal aura covers and shields any supernal magic that is called up by the caster.
    It is possible to dispose of the Paradox by employing an amount of time equal to the Ritual interval, in a variant of Tearing the Tapestry, an action that does not give mana points but cancels a number of Paradox points equal to half the excess Wisdom.

Paradox Alternative II: It is possible to acquire 3 non-absorbable Paradox dice from Mana or Dedicated Item, for each extra success in a spell.
    5 dice, to commute a Failure in a Succes.

Alternative rules about Withstand & Clash of Wills: Withstand only applies to spells that ALTER tapestry: not to Spells from Practices of Unveiling or Knowing; with the exception of Sympathetic spells that must overcome the Withstand based on Sympathetic Connection.
    Any spell that must overcome a Withstand has Potency as a Primary Factor.
    Spells that allow you to analyze and modify part of the Tapesrty, apply the Withstand only when they begin to modify the target: the rest of the effect is not stopped.
    An exceptional success in a spell, cannot completely bypass the Withstand, but the value of the primary factor doubles: the bonuses gained from the factors, normally apply in addition considering the doubled base factor.
    In case two spells enter the Clash, the one with the highest Potency wins: only in case of a tie, the CoW is applied with the bonuses for the extended duration applied regularly.

Nimbus Alternative: The Nimbus becomes an effect that applies to a maximum number of spells at the same time equal to Gnosis.
    It is decided at the time of casting whether to apply it or not and influence for the duration of the same who is subject to the spell.
    As a 2 Point Merit, it is possible to invert Malus into Bonus and vice versa, compared to the standard choice, by paying an extra mana point at the time of casting.
    If it basically grants a Bonus to Stamina, with the expenditure of one mana point it becomes a Malus for those subject to that spell.

New Template Acolytes: As a minor Template, Acolytes are Sleepwalkers who have received the education and benefit of occult rituals from an Awakened soul who has welcomed them under his wing.
    They can learn at the cost of a px, a single spell at a time, conveyed by the sympathy for the Awakened soul to which they bond.
    An Awakened person can have a maximum of Acolytes equal to his own Gnosis, after which a double astral journey must take place where one is led into the Oneiros of the other.
    After one or more scenes that symbolize a Resonance between the two souls, the aspirant can connect to the Gnosis of the Awakened soul, and if he has a free "place", create such a privileged connection, a bond that closely resembles that with a familiar.
    Only spells that have a precise form in the soul of the Awakened soul can be "connected" to the Acolyte: Praxis or Rotes, not improvised spells or obtained through infused objects or artifacts.
    At that point he can learn the spell and use it, spending one point of Mentor's Mana in the process, a particular effect possible only through the ritual that connected their souls. In addition, after learning it, the spell can only be cast through a copy corresponding to the dedicated object usually used by the Awakened One.

The Mentor thus connected, can with a reflexive action suspend access to one or more spells by one or more of his Acolytes indefinitely, or simply deny access to his Mana until he changes his mind; re-establishing the connection, however, requires an action for that turn.
    It is also the only Yantra, with the same benefits, that the Acolyte can use.
    The pool of dice for magic is equal to the Wizard's Arcana level, plus 1 for the dedicated object and with minus 2 dice for any Paradox rolls. Each Paradox will come immediately from the Acolyte, exactly as if it were caused by his own use of an infused object.
    The highest level of mastery an Acolyte can aspire to in this way are Disciple spells (3rd dot).
    They also have the limitation of being able to learn second or third level spells, only if they first learned a lower level spell of the same Arcana from the Mentor.
    Among the side effects, the Wizard gains from the Acolyte a Connected connection like that of a familiar, such as the NON-reciprocal ability of the Awakened soul to use the Acolyte's senses at will. reciprocal: but not even in that case one can guess through Magic Sight or other, when someone is spying on the other side. A roll of Wits + the lowest between Occult and Empathy penalized by the Wits of the other side, is necessary to notice have the "attention" of the other party.
    However, it is possible to send a "signal" that warns the other party that their senses are being used. The sharing of the senses can be limited: it must not be all or nothing, for example to limit to one or more of the senses, but not all.
    In addition, once per day for each Acolyte, the Awakened can Slash the Acolyte's Tapestry for a single point of Mana in exchange.

Should the Mentor lose his soul for some reason, this would NOT impact the Acolytes: their connection is towards the Soul itself, and not the person it comes from.
    An Acolyte who receives or gains his Mentor's Soul Stone gains several powerful benefits: them can also use the Gnosis trait as a dice pool for his spells, the Mentor can no longer deny him access to spells or his own. Mana pool.
    He can also induce the effects of the Paradox on the mage, as long as he is wearing or in physical contact with his stone and uses his senses on an equal footing.
    Should the Mentor sink into the Rapt, lose all his Wisdom, ALL Acolytes would immediately lose a number of Integrity points equal to his Gnosis.
    This Template serves both to make the Sleepwalkers more interesting without always having to stage the Proximi, and to recreate the theme of cultists in the game and the potential abuse for wizards of all levels of power.
    After all, magicians are rare entities: the presence of Acolytes makes more sense for the existence of minor practitioners of miracles and the inner circle of cults.
    At the level of Status, in their respective Mysterious Cults, they settle at the third dot, leaving the fourth and fifth only to the powerful Awakened.
    Last edited by The Throne; 08-09-2021, 11:27 AM. Reason: Edited better

Haven't read it all, but I assume these guys are intended to be some sort of free-form Proximi?

MtAw Homebrew:
    Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
    New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

I like the Acolytes concept. It's a minor template I think would make totally sense to have in Mage. It gives players the option to create a minor template from NPCs in much a similar way to Ghouls for Vampire, instead of relying on Proximi, and it reinforces the theme and mood of mystery cults.

I also like the flexibility of Paradox points handled like Goblin Debt, and the option to gain paradox points to get automatic successes. I think it does a better job at tempting the character with the lure of power with respect to adding extra Reach: that's because while the number of Reach is very deterministic and calculated, the dice roll has a random component that lures much better player choice.
      With Reach you may decide "oh, I don't have enough Reach to upgrade my spell to Advanced Scale and target everyone? Well in that case nevermind I'll do something else" instead of risking paradox.
      But with successes you may roll, and then think "oh, I got 4 successes, I only need one more to get exceptional success... do I take 3 paradox points?". It's more tempting.

While I personally would prefer to keep the 5 Paths and their associated Ruling Arcana, I understand that not having any Ruling and Inferior Arcana would make characters much more flexible and customizable, which I guess may be interesting.

As for other alternative rules, it would help to understand what are you aiming for. What is it you don't like about current rules? Why do you want to change those mechanics about improvised spells, Praxis, Arcana limits etc. ? Is it to give more focus to game aspects that feel neglected, or to give a particular theme and feel?
      Knowing what your goals are we can help you better

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
        Haven't read it all, but I assume these guys are intended to be some sort of free-form Proximi?
        Kinda like.
        Acolyte fill a niche about "minor template" mage with power "like them" but NOT strongly associated with a family/path , yes.
        AND give a more close knitted bond with other mage.
        The idea of recreate the mystics about mentorship and Animic Link without relegate this only to Legacy's Attainment.

Originally posted by moonwhisper View Post
        I like the Acolytes concept. It's a minor template I think would make totally sense to have in Mage. It gives players the option to create a minor template from NPCs in much a similar way to Ghouls for Vampire, instead of relying on Proximi, and it reinforces the theme and mood of mystery cults.

As for other alternative rules, it would help to understand what are you aiming for. What is it you don't like about current rules? Why do you want to change those mechanics about improvised spells, Praxis, Arcana limits etc. ? Is it to give more focus to game aspects that feel neglected, or to give a particular theme and feel?
        Knowing what your goals are we can help you better
        Thanks you a ton!
        I had very real issue about the too much combo of Arcana : if two mages choose same Arcana, they can choose niche or single Arcana to focus... but at long, what a Rote grant you are only more reach e some dice.
        Thaumaturgic Creativity and improvised spell, mean to me " What you can do, i can too: you are not so essential." Every mage with canonical setting, end with at least 3 Arcana.
        Overlap is too common.

With these rule: you can value MORE Role, slow down progression of power because you need to specialize in praxis and rote, AND Gnosis: your mage NEED to quest and test limits before have unlimited chance with whole dot of Arcana.
        Now, a whole cabal can have same Arcana and grow a niche: make teamwork for instant spell too, make have mage with same Arcana a feature and not a bug.

The rise to omnipotence is slowed down and make the mid term more enjoable, upon my standard at least.
        Last edited by The Throne; 08-08-2021, 05:59 AM.

Comment

.. double post..

Comment

Originally posted by The Throne View Post
            With these rule: you can value MORE Role, slow down progression of power because you need to specialize in praxis and rote, AND Gnosis: your mage NEED to quest and test limits before have unlimited chance with whole dot of Arcana.
            Now, a whole cabal can have same Arcana and grow a niche: make teamwork for instant spell too, make have mage with same Arcana a feature and not a bug.
            Ah, I get it. I agree that characters with the same choice of Arcana have a lot of overlap, especially with Improvised Spells. This may lead to either a competitive vibe between players, or to purposely attempt to make a "balanced party" (which is not wrong, but it's still a very meta thought process). (I would also point out the same happens with Vampire Disciplines, Geist Haunts etc.).

In that case yes, I think enhancing the role of Rotes and Praxes requires from character to make more choices and focus on specific spells, hence providing more niche roles to fill.
            And if they both have the same spell, they can use teamwork. Nice!

Another idea that came to mind is to add a "third axis" for character customization. I don't mean a z-splat like Legacies, but something more like Geist Keys. Perhaps Practices? You could have two characters with the same Arcana, but one specialized in the Fraying Practice and the other in Weaving Practice. I don't know how, I'm just brainstorming some ideas here.

Originally posted by The Throne View Post
            Increasing Gnosis does not grant any Praxis, you earn a free Rote for each dot of Gnosis: it is a typical gift / reward honored in Awakened societies.
            I am not fond of having a free Rote when gaining a new Gnosis dot. The "typical gift in society" explanation makes me wondering: what if a hermit mage with no Order gains Gnosis? What if all Awakened society turned hostile against that mage? Gnosis is a measure of one's enlightnment and understanding of the laws of magic and the Supernal, regardless of society.
            Instead, if you wanted to represent Rotes as gifts from Awakened society, I would give them by increasing Order or Concilium Status.
            Last edited by moonwhisper; 08-09-2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I am not fond of having a free Rote when gaining a new Gnosis dot. The "typical gift in society" explanation makes me wondering: what if a hermit mage with no Order gains Gnosis? What if all Awakened society turned hostile against that mage? Gnosis is a measure of one's enlightnment and understanding of the laws of magic and the Supernal, regardless of society.
              Instead, if you wanted to represent Rotes as gifts from Awakened society, I would give them by increasing Order or Concilium Status.
              Ultra real point: taken!
              Maybe another one dot merit for free? As Librarian, Sanctum ?

Comment

I am not fond of having a free Rote when gaining a new Gnosis dot. The "typical gift in society" explanation makes me wondering: what if a hermit mage with no Order gains Gnosis? What if all Awakened society turned hostile against that mage?
                Then I suppose those edge cases don't get them. Just like how you can't make rolls to requisition Order resources when isolated in a jungle or whatever and lacking means of communication, even if rules don't specifically lay out such circumstantial applications.

Originally posted by moonwhisper
                Gnosis is a measure of one's enlightnment and understanding of the laws of magic and the Supernal, regardless of society.
                I would feel as though the statement of it being a typical gift is to say that it's not a natural function of raising Gnosis but a customary response to it provided by the society that the majority of Mage games will take place participating in without complication.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Then I suppose those edge cases don't get them. Just like how you can't make rolls to requisition Order resources when isolated in a jungle or whatever and lacking means of communication, even if rules don't specifically lay out such circumstantial applications.

I would feel as though the statement of it being a typical gift is to say that it's not a natural function of raising Gnosis but a customary response to it provided by the society that the majority of Mage games will take place participating in without complication.

I agree with you, but i found usefull seek many angle for expande my vision about my own "shard".
                  At the start, this was a ONE, HUGE, setting: later i divide my idea as many little rule: other can see them fit and other not: i feel happy if anyone take a like for anything above!

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                    I think there's some distinction between "this is what you get" and "this is what you get to do". The former happens passively and automatically. The latter still requires the character to take actions towards making it happen. Not to mention that Order Status is a variation of the general Status Merit which requires you to be in contact with the related group in order to use the Merit. That, combined with the fact that you lose Status if the group turns on you, covers practically all situations where you would logically not have access to that group's resources.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                    X