Galleroth, Gulmoth of corrupted supernal art

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galleroth, Gulmoth of corrupted supernal art

I'm running a one-shot for new players soon. One player will be a newly awakened Moros artist who's just been throwing her magically infused art around the city without a care. It's not her fault that no one has had a chance to educate her about how dangerous that is, though the Guardians of the Veil will still be quite peeved.

As a result, the magic will eventually summon a Gulmoth named Galleroth. This thing lurks in the cracks of Dissonance created against supernally charged artwork, seeking to draw victims in and trap them in its wrong, twisted galleries that don't exist. It doesn't care to kill--it only wants the awe and reverence artists gain from their work. Whether or not its audience starves in their confused new world is irrelevant.

It will be especially busy along the Ley Lines intersecting a particularly artsy Cafe which this Moros frequents, leading to her finding its image in her sketches drawn in that cafe, knowing she never drew that. Sometimes she'll even see those who it has snatched up into its maze.

I've stolen and modified some of the Dread Powers of Hobgoblins from C:tL to use instead of Numina.

Galleroth: Rank 2 Gulmoth.

Max Essence: 15

Draws Essence from the resonance of Art, and adulation of such.

Power: 4
    Finesse: 3
    Resistance: 3

Size: 8
    Corpus: 11
    Defense: 3
    Willpower: 6
    Initiative: 6

Numina:

Maze: Victims who wander into the alleys of Galleroth's corrupted supernal Graffiti and stare at it a little too long will find themselves unable to leave, as where the alleys should have lead back to the street, instead they lead to more alleys, some made of the very sketch paper my player's Moros uses. It takes a Wits+Composure check minus Galleroth's resistance to find one's way through to any part of the maze, or to leave it. Galleroth must spend 3 Essence to entrap someone in his Maze. It can only use this power on a target staring at Supernally enchanted art that has been corrupted by dissonance.

Sign: Galleroth will invade any artwork it can with its image of a tall shape in a dark coat--though it is particularly attracted to Supernal art. Often those trapped in its maze will appear in the art affected by this Numina as well.

Swarm Form: In the mazes where Galleroth walks as a figure in a dark coat, or from any sketchbook it has invaded, it may possess scraps of paper or cracked paint chips to swirl through the air and attack its targets with paper cuts, using a dice pool of Power+Rank to inflict attacks dealing bashing damage.

Influences: Art and art supplies 2.

Ban: Cannot force any Sleepers into its maze who are dressed for the occasion in which the art is presented--only the sloppiest in dress will disappear from an art gallery showing, and only those in their sunday best will find themselves lost in an alleyway. Cannot manifest physically outside its maze.
    Bane: Any material that has been used to erase art from a medium it has exercised power over, whether that be through its influences or numina. This could involve anything from a pressure-washer for graffiti to a simple eraser.

This sounds like a pretty neat premise for horror in general and the Abyss in particular.

If I can make a suggestion:

Originally posted by Chris_John View Post
    It doesn't care to kill--it only wants the awe and reverence artists gain from their work. Whether or not its audience starves in their confused new world is irrelevant.
    Recently I watched the playable teaser of Silent Hills for the first time, and that scenario got me thinking about an observation I've often had about urban fantasy/horror, namely an overreliance on the idea that the dread things that lurk in the night will kill people. I feel as though there's a lot of compelling and unexplored space in the idea of horrific events or places or entities where the stakes are based on what people will have to live with, rather than what will kill them. That there can be more that is dreadful in the idea of somebody having an encounter that will cling to them for decades after the event. Bonus points if it's a thing that will lock somebody into a continuous pattern of torment; they go back into the world, they try to put on a brave face and assure their friends and family and co-workers that everything is fine, but at the end of the day they have to go back for the next round of their living nightmare.

Something like this Gulmoth seems fairly well suited to that premise to me.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
    X