Legacies of the Planets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacies of the Planets

I recently read Planet Narnia, a book that advances the theory that C.S. Lewis wrote his Chronicles of Narnia so that each book would illustrate the character of a different astrological planet. That got me thinking about the astrological planets; and that in turn got me thinking about the idea of crafting a set of Legacies for Mage, in a manner similar to the Elemental Masteries. A preliminary outline:

• the Mercurial Legacy is associated with the Acanthus and the Free Council, and features Space. Attainments should deal with travel and communications. It should also have a trickster element to it.

• the Venerial Legacy is associated with the Thyrsus and the Mysterium (the latter because of its “magic is alive” perspective), and features Life. Its Attainments should deal with fertility and nurture, and beginnings.

• the Martial Legacy is associated with the Mastigos and the Adamantine Arrow, and features Forces. I'm a little unsure of what to do with this one, as it's a nearly perfect fit for the Adamantine Arrow philosophically.

• the Jovial Legacy is associated with the Obrimos and the Silver Ladder, and features Prime. Its Attainments should deal in some way with inspiring leadership.

• the Saturnine Legacy is associated with the Moros and the Guardians of the Veil, and features Time. Not entirely sure about the Attainments, yet.

These would be the main five. Though just like there are additional Elemental Masteries, there could be other Legacies based on astrological symbols, e.g. a Solar Legacy and a Lunar Legacy. But for now, I want to focus on the main five, outlined above.

Thoughts?

For the Saturnines, maybe their Attainments deal with promising bounty at the cost of all-too-clearly defining the bounty’s end. Not clear how much this fits with astrology, though.

Speaking of fitting, urr, is there a reason why you wrote this in the Werewolf forum? For crossover with the planetary angels from Shunned by the Moon?

MtAw Homebrew:
    Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
    New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

I composed the post on my cell phone while on the move, literally. I suspect that when I thought I was hitting the mage forum, I actually hit the werewolf form by mistake.

But now that you mention it, I should probably reread Shunned by the Moon.
      Last edited by Dataweaver; 10-01-2021, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Are you going with primarily astrological symbolism? I can see the Greek/Roman symbolism I was taught in high school, but other cultures might have interesting other ideas to draw from. (I’m afraid it’s a bit late to dig up an example, but tomorrow I’ll look stuff up if you want.) (astrology is not my thing, more into astronomy, so if there is some symbolism I’m missing please point it out.)

Just my tired thoughts, but if you are using Venus, wouldn’t Space be better for the sympathetic connects love entails? Or maybe the part of Fate that interacts with sympathies and connections? Or am I missing something? (I’m not sure how fertility relates to Venus from myth besides the obvious results of love.)

For Mars, I think it’s best to approach on what how they don’t do. Someone claiming power from Mars feels like someone who would have a marked preference for personal combat. Also, why Forces? Elemental powers is not what I’d normally associate with Mars. That would seem be more Jupiter’s thing.

Jupiter, honestly seems like a Prime/Forces legacy. Use the nimbus and resonance to mark oneself as a ruler, or authoritative figure at least. Forces for, well, forcing the matter.

Saturn should be all about the proper timings. You must sow the field at the right time, you must harvest at the right time. Everything has it’s season, and this too, shall pass. One part inevitably, one part endings, one part reaping, and another sowing. At least, that’s my understanding of Saturn.

Mercury is fine. Not much to say there. Space alone gives you pretty much everything you need, Fate is probably good as the secondary as befits a Trickster. Though, if you wanted speed as the primary goal, Time could be fun.

I guess if you could explain why you placed the arcanum as you did, that would be helpful in shaping what the legacies should be.

edit: hey, maybe you could expand on that Mars legacy from Signs of Sorcery

To whomever reads this, I hope you have a good day/night. May you be Happy.

So, I made some Mage Legacies here, with some help. They vary in quality, but I hope you take a look at them. Every one contains pieces of me, for better or worse.

Comment

You might want to use the term "Venusian Legacy", unless one of the effects of their Life magic is to create a burning sensation.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

I am aware of what that word is most commonly associated with these days. I'm using it in its original meaning.

Comment

Is there a particular order you want to do these in?

So, I made some Mage Legacies here, with some help. They vary in quality, but I hope you take a look at them. Every one contains pieces of me, for better or worse.

Comment

No, there isn't.

Comment

Then lets start with the Mercurial Ones. Because that what the random number generator I used said.

So I started making the Legacy Template, and then realized that might be premature and presumptuous. I'll post it if you want.

Would a good nickname be the Messengers? One of the Attainments could be "Don't Shoot the Messenger". Maybe creates a Mage version of that Sleepwalker merit that diverts attention away from the Mage.

So my ideas for them would be personal messengers, going to the various cabals and delivering messages. Their attainments would be toward easily navigating obstacles, and just knowing where they have to go to deliver messages. But I also see them being able to endure the harsh elements, and dangers along their journey. Eventually they might be able to instantly journey where they need to go, without a sympathetic connection, as long as it coincided with their duties. I'm not the best at making good trickster elements, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Comment

Venus is the Acanthus planet in Awakened astrology, and Mercury likewise for the Thyrsus, for whatever it's worth.

Resident Lore-Hound
                    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Huh. Okay; I'll swap them. Odd…

Comment

TempleBuilder: not just travel; communication, too. Masters of language.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                          TempleBuilder: not just travel; communication, too. Masters of language.
                          Yeah… Not sure how to do that with Space or Time/Fate. Communication is normally Mind/Prime, with Forces or Matter as a medium, right? Is Space enough to do journeys on its own?
                          *Looks at Satchel’s post*
                          Well, that changes things. Maybe Space/Life then? Doesn’t really have communication aspect, unless Space can manage that. Maybe Spirit? Feels off, somehow.

Comment

If only legacies included a way to handle individual spells that fit the Legacy concept but don't necessarily fit with any of it s Ruling Arcana. Oh well; I guess the language thing won't work after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                              If only legacies included a way to handle individual spells that fit the Legacy concept but don't necessarily fit with any of it s Ruling Arcana. Oh well; I guess the language thing won't work after all.
                              Maybe, maybe not. Maybe we aren’t thinking enough outside the box. What can overlap Journeys and Communication?
                              Fate kinda can. It doesn’t have the super speed or teleportation, but you will always know where you need to go. Fate can ease the Journey, and can help you find the right words to say.
                              Forces can make one speedy, far faster than any other arcanum can alone. You can climb and fly with Forces. And Forces effects your voice, allow you to speak through walls, or be heard from any distance, with a clever knowing spell on who you need to speak to. Forces makes your voice the clearest, most perfect thing. Kinda like striking looks but for your voice. It’s not Prime, shakes your soul levels of communication but it’s something.
                              Another thing to consider is having Attainments with more Arcanum added. Like the ultimatum speed Time/Space/Forces spell. Maybe add Life so you can handle the sheer speed. Or maybe just have whatever Arcanum you want, and just set them from the Paths perspective.

Comment

Working...
                              X