Scouring action + Active spell limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouring action + Active spell limit

Dear friends, a quick question on Scouring action: you have the one to obtain Mana and the one to remove paradox "little problems". Reading the last one (page 116), it says: "At this point, the only way for the mage to remove the taint from her Pattern is to Scour it out, similar to Pattern Scouring for Mana as described on p. 87. Removing a Paradox Condition in this manner deals a single point of lethal damage to the mage, but she does not gain Mana from the Scouring."

That SIMILAR TO may lead me to believe that they are different actions with the same name isn't it?
    I mean, with Gnosis 1 can you scour once STOP or can you scour once for mana and once for Paradox taints?

My last question concerns the Spell limit, page 118: "A mage can have as many active spells as she has dots in Gnosis. Each additional spell requires a Reach, plus another Reach per spell already over the limit.". Let's say I have an active spell with duration and Gnosis 1: if I cast a new spell I will need a dedicated Reach to avoid a Paradox die. Is this for every spell or just for duration spells (I'm thinking about attack spells or other 1 turn spell that almost resolve instantly)...

What do you think?
    Thanks for your insight

I’m inclined to think 1) the only difference is whether you get Mana or not, and everything else is the same as standard Scouring, and 2) yes, Spell Control also applies to instantaneous spells.

But this is me just going off the top of my head; can’t verify anything for now.

MtAw Homebrew:
    Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
    New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

Juggling is an apt analogy for Spell Control. Each spell you have control over is a ball you're juggling. For each ball you juggle (over the limit you're comfortable juggling), it's harder to add another ball. While you don't intend to juggle an instantaneous spell, it's still going to be difficult to grab that extra ball and throw it away due to all the balls you're already juggling.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by LorenzoC View Post
        Is this for every spell or just for duration spells (I'm thinking about attack spells or other 1 turn spell that almost resolve instantly)...
        Either way, it would qualify as an additional spell, I think.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. ^_^

Comment

Working...
          X