The Duel Arcane (2E), but using the Chases system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Duel Arcane (2E), but using the Chases system

Hmm, I wonder if I got the numbers and scaling right. Oh well. Better represented here even if incomplete, than having it fizzle down somewhere in my notes or brain.

Similar projects (read; completely un-guaranteed with regards to completion) are; Focused Mage Sight using the Investigation system, Supernal Crafting using the Build Equipment system, and Supernal/Abyssal Summoning using the Social Maneuvering system. They compete priority/queue with my Legacies projects (right now, Keepers of the Covenant) and Etrian Odyssey games where all the units are named after... oops, talked too much there.

THE DUEL ARCANE

The following rules expand upon the Chases system to systematically represent the Duel Arcane, as an alternative to the one already presented in the Second Edition rules.

Choose the Sword and Shield

Each Duelist chooses one Arcanum among their known ones as their Sword Arcanum, and another as their Shield Arcanum. They cannot choose the same one as both. It is advantageous to pick the highest ones, but often the Duelist may have to consider the Invoking and Banishing Cycles (see below) and what Arcana the opponent has.

Setting the Terms

Each Duelist needs to accumulate a set number of successes, called the Terms, before the other party does. Like standard Chases, the Terms start at 5, but are modified by circumstances according to the following chart.

Circumstances Modifier
    Opponent's Gnosis is higher than yours +1 per difference
    You have more Mana than the opponent -1
    You have half more Mana than the opponent -2
    You have twice more Mana than the opponent -3
    You are acting "in-character" to your Shadow Name -1
    The area is under your Long-Term Nimbus -1
    The area is under your opponent's Long-Term Nimbus +1
    The Duel does not matter to or hampers your Obsessions +2
    Opponent is your mentor or social superior +2
    Actively dangerous environment +1 to +3, Storyteller discretion

Determine the Edge

As the Duel starts, both sides spend one Mana to deliberately flare their Immediate Nimbuses. This is a contested roll, where the mages roll their highest Resistance Attribute + Gnosis as if their were clashing against supernatural auras. Whoever wins the contest seizes the Edge and inflicts their Nimbus Tilt. The Nimbus Tilt imposed this way always lasts for the Duel's duration. If one Duelist has for some reason already flared their Immediate Nimbus for the scene, they cannot flare in the Duel, and thus automatically yields the Edge to their opponent.

The side with the Edge rolls first as the Sword-bearer, choosing an Attribute to roll for their Sword dice pool, and limiting what Attribute the other party may roll for their Shield dice pool. The other party can ignore the limit and choose another Attribute, but then they lose 10-again to their roll. Cumulative penalties for continuing to ignore the Edge-determined limit does not apply. It is a basic tactic to survey your to-be opponent's strengths and weaknesses to judge how your Nimbus Tilt could best cripple them by seizing the Edge, and to prepare yourself for them seizing the Edge instead.

Trading Blows

Each roll in a Duel Arcane represents one turn or so of time. The side with the Edge rolls first as the Sword-bearer, and the opponent rolls after as the Shield-bearer. A round in a Duel consists of the Sword-bearer rolling first, and the Shield-bearer rolling next.

It is possible for the Sword-bearer to immediately end the Duel with one fell strike. Should that fail, the Sword-bearer accumulates successes, and Shield-bearer is given a chance to re-assert the Edge. If the Shield-bearer fails, the Sword-bearer once again rolls to accumulate successes.

Sword: Pursue
    The Sword-bearer rolls to accumulate successes towards their Terms. The "spell" being cast here is not a true spell, and thus increasing spell factors do not actually reduce the dice pool. Still, penalties from spell factors cannot actually exceed your dice pool. Reach is another matter, as the "spell" can have theoretically infinite Reach drawn from the ambient Supernal World, but this penalizes the dice pool.
    Action: Instant (no need for Reach)
    Dice Pool: Attribute + Sword Arcanum - 2 per unsafe Reach
    Roll Results
    Success: Your Sword assaults your enemy's will and soul. Accumulate successes to your Terms.
    Exceptional Success: As success, and you "refresh" one Arcanum 'spent' by failure (see below).
    Failure: You do not accumulate any successes, and cannot use this Sword Arcanum for the Duel. If you do not have any more known Arcana left, any further failures automatically become dramatic failures.
    Dramatic Failure: As failure, and you immediately yield the Edge to your enemy, ending the round.

Shield: Evade & Seize
    The Shield-bearer attempts to stop the opponent from accumulating successes towards their Terms, and tries to seize the Edge away from them. Despite the imagery, the Shield "spell" does not always have to protect the Duelist from something; it may take the form of undoing away what the Sword "spell" did the prior turn, and sometimes even look like an attack itself. The rules for spell penalties and Reach Paradox applies as same.
    Action: Instant (no need for Reach)
    Dice Pool: Attribute + Shield Arcanum - 2 per unsafe Reach
    Roll Results
    Success: Your Shield prevails against your enemy's Sword. You seize the Edge, thus rolling as the Sword-bearer next round.
    Exceptional Success: As success, and the opponent loses 2 accumulated success.
    Failure: The turn passes back to your opponent, who retains their Edge and thus remains the Sword-bearer.
    Dramatic Failure: As failure, and your opponent accumulates 2 success. This can immediately end the Duel.

The Banishing Cycle & the Invoking Cycle

Mages of the Diamond have discovered a pentagrammic relation between the ten Arcana, and two cycles that flow through them that represent two of the world's universal forces - destruction and creation. For now, the practical application of the two cycles are limited to tactics of the Duel Arcane

The Banishing Cycle

The entropy of Death consumes the predictability of Time.
    The inevitability of Time erodes the whims of Spirit.
    The ephemerality of Spirit taunts the stubbornness of Forces.
    The candor of Forces bashes through the pretenses of Mind.
    The brilliance of Mind manipulates the sluggishness of Matter.
    The dedication of Matter stops still the vicissitudes of Fate.
    The dictations of Fate dominates the vulgarity of Life.
    The physicality of Life overwhelms the phantasms of Prime.
    The candescence of Prime burns away the hypocrisy of Space.
    The magnanimity of Space bridges the yawning void of Death.

System: When undertaking a Sword action, if the Sword-bearer's Sword Arcanum is one step above their opponent's Shield Arcanum (such as a Death Sword versus a Time Shield), their gain the inspired quality. 1

The Invoking Cycle

The potential of Prime feeds the dynamisms of Forces.
    The robustness of Forces sets forth the machinations of Fate.
    The delicacies of Fate smoothes over the marches of Time.
    The purposes of Time give direction to the depths of Mind.
    The erudition of Mind weave form out of the vastness of Space.
    The magnanimity of Space clear space for the echoes of Spirit.
    The reflections of Spirit spark the wonders of Life.
    The gratitude of Life give meaning to the grimness of Death.
    The resolution of Death crystallizes to the blank of Matter.
    The foundation of Matter delivers the birth of Prime.

System: When undertaking a Shield action, if the Shield-bearer's Shield Arcanum is one step below their opponent's Sword Arcanum (such as a Forces Shield versus a Prime Sword), their gain the inspired quality.1

Note 1: The inspired quality refers to the "score exceptional success on three successes instead of five" dice trick.
    Last edited by 21C Hermit; 12-20-2021, 10:40 AM. Reason: Editting!

MtAw Homebrew:
    Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
    New 2E Legacies, expanded

If I understood correctly, I believe Shield and Sword should be reversed after the first line in the mechanical description of the Invoking Cycle.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
    The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy whose invisible hands guide through the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Comment

What is the point for spell factors or Reaching for something that isn't actually having an effect beyond accumulating successes towards a desired total?

Like, Potency is meaningless in this context, I presume duels are almost always one on one so no scale needs to be enhanced, I can't imagine the value of increased Duration, and what are you even Reaching for that is worth these penalties? Advanced versions of meaningless spell factors? Going into more depth for a non-existent spell? What is the payoff for the penalties you're giving to the dice pool that you need rolling successes towards the objective?

I swear, the reference to accounting for spell factors is the weirdest part of the actual Duel Arcane rules, I do not understand why a modified version would still include them and not provide any explanation of what the value of them is supposed to be, let alone add on to it with Reach references.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

I think the initial Terms and their modifiers need some revision.

As it stands now, if one side has twice as much Mana (which isn't all that hard since we're not talking potential, just current Mana) and is acting their Shadow Name, they only have 1 Term. If they also have the terrain advantage, they start the Duel by declaring victory. Also, I would prefer something based on number of victories instead of accumulated successes, or the text isn't that clear.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
        #AutismPride
        She/her pronouns

Comment

Gah, multi-quoting is way too difficult on mobile. I give up.

Okay, it’s morning where I live here and gotta go now, so lemme fix all the three points at once after I finish my day and get back home…

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Yay, I can multi-quote easily on laptop. But was my worrying about clogging up the thread necessary when I'm the OP? Eh.

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
            If I understood correctly, I believe Shield and Sword should be reversed after the first line in the mechanical description of the Invoking Cycle.
            Oops. Immediately fixed that one in.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
            What is the point for spell factors or Reaching for something that isn't actually having an effect beyond accumulating successes towards a desired total?

Like, Potency is meaningless in this context, I presume duels are almost always one on one so no scale needs to be enhanced, I can't imagine the value of increased Duration, and what are you even Reaching for that is worth these penalties? Advanced versions of meaningless spell factors? Going into more depth for a non-existent spell? What is the payoff for the penalties you're giving to the dice pool that you need rolling successes towards the objective?

I swear, the reference to accounting for spell factors is the weirdest part of the actual Duel Arcane rules, I do not understand why a modified version would still include them and not provide any explanation of what the value of them is supposed to be, let alone add on to it with Reach references.
            Hmm... yeah I kept that in because the Duel is supposed to show off what you can do, and that usually means putting limits in place, but now I see that it's unnecessary as a mechanic as you point out. For big and flashy spell effects, I'll just say the ambient energies of the Supernal World within the arena takes care of all that. Gonna fix that one just a moment (read; probably hours, or even nearly a day) later!

Originally posted by monteparnas View Post
            I think the initial Terms and their modifiers need some revision.

As it stands now, if one side has twice as much Mana (which isn't all that hard since we're not talking potential, just current Mana) and is acting their Shadow Name, they only have 1 Term. If they also have the terrain advantage, they start the Duel by declaring victory. Also, I would prefer something based on number of victories instead of accumulated successes, or the text isn't that clear.
            Uh, I intended for current Mana points, not the potential ie. the cap. Gonna have to make that one clearer. I imagine both parties trying to gather Mana before the Duel via Oblations and Scourings, which feed into the behavioral weirdness and otherwordliness of the Awakened... and trying to sabotage the other party's Mana resources too.

I'm on the fence on the other suggestions. Like, I sorta wanted Chase-based-Duels to be quick affairs compared to the current version, where the Nimbus show-off at the opening to gain the Edge is actually most of the contest already done, save for some really persevering duelists... but yeah, as you note, it may become a bit too quick. And introducing something based on the direct number of victories is, AFAIK, already what the current system is doing via Doors.

... Unless you were criticizing the Chases subsystem itself? I may have to consult Storypath then, since I hear they do it differently. (I think we actually talked about this in some other thread?)

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
              Uh, I intended for current Mana points, not the potential ie. the cap. Gonna have to make that one clearer. I imagine both parties trying to gather Mana before the Duel via Oblations and Scourings, which feed into the behavioral weirdness and otherwordliness of the Awakened... and trying to sabotage the other party's Mana resources too.

I'm on the fence on the other suggestions. Like, I sorta wanted Chase-based-Duels to be quick affairs compared to the current version, where the Nimbus show-off at the opening to gain the Edge is actually most of the contest already done, save for some really persevering duelists... but yeah, as you note, it may become a bit too quick. And introducing something based on the direct number of victories is, AFAIK, already what the current system is doing via Doors.

... Unless you were criticizing the Chases subsystem itself? I may have to consult Storypath then, since I hear they do it differently. (I think we actually talked about this in some other thread?)
              Forget about the number of victories, that was just personal preference, your basic system works for your intention of a faster duel.

But the initial Terms and modifiers do need a tweak. In both directions they're too big and easy to accumulate, which will make for a system that rewards too much an initial advantage, making the duel itself almost irrelevant. I'll tackle it one at a time:

Opponent's Gnosis is higher than yours +1 per difference
              Cut out the per difference. Maybe cut this out entirely. A Mage with high Gnosis is already likely to have the advantage on everything else in the list.

You have more Mana than the opponent -1
              You're sure even a meager difference should grant a bonus? An entire success is actually a big bonus for a contest over 5 Terms.

You have half more Mana than the opponent -2
              This one could easily be where the -1 appears. A clever plan to boost your own pool and sabotage your opponent would do the trick and earn you a smaller but still neat bonus.

You have twice more Mana than the opponent -3
              While it seems like much at first, it happens, easy. Twice more mana can be a Mage with 2 points left facing one with 1 point left. Or a refreshed Mage facing someone who just came from tribulation. I would put a -2 at most, even then I would prefer it at 3× instead.

You are acting "in-character" to your Shadow Name -1
              5 Terms make reductions much more impacting than increases, and acting "in-character" should be the default anyway. Change this to +1 if not acting "in-character" to your Shadow Name.

The area is under your Long-Term Nimbus -1
              The area is under your opponent's Long-Term Nimbus +1
              Do not keep both. This is incredibly strong as it makes your Long-Term Nimbus enough for a 2 Terms edge over your opponent, one of them by reducing your goal. I would advise to keep only the second one.

The Duel does not matter to or hampers your Obsessions +2
              Your Obsessions are already going to matter do to their own mechanics and you being wasting precious time instead of hunting that sweet Arcana Beat. If you really want to keep this, reduce to +1, this is more than enough.

Opponent is your mentor or social superior +2
              Same as above, you're already going to face consequences outside the duel itself, and this person is likely to have more Gnosis than you, along with more everything else. But I do think this one is worth to keep at +1.

Actively dangerous environment +1 to +3, Storyteller discretion
              Nothing inherently wrong with it, but I would clarify. Maybe should be better phrased as "environmental threats demand attention or magical protection cast during the duel (the casting is part of the duel normal actions".

On the Terms
              Finally, I would recommend that you increase the initial terms by +1, from 5 to 6. Why is that?

As it stands now terms and modifiers, you have a default where the Sword can achieve victory with an Exceptional success, I get that. But that math is hugely messed up by your modifiers, you must take them into account.

Keep in mind the Exceptional successes, as you want them to be useful in the duel, and how a properly modified duel unfolds. On the Exceptional successes: if I need 5 Terms to finish, I have no benefit from a regular ES. If I get one I win, the secondary effect is moot. I still can benefit from the Cycles, true... but if I reduce my Terms to 3, then the Cycles are also moot, I have nothing to gain from them.

6 Terms give more pressure to try and milk reductions from any source possible, as 5 successes feel far easier to achieve in one roll than 6. It also makes an Exceptional Success with exactly 5 still relevant. It also slightly reduces the overall impact of any modifier, and this helps to keep the duel from becoming too one-sided.

You must strive to keep the duel from being one-sided and predictable. As it stands now, two Mages dueling, one with Gnosis 2, the other with 4 and higher in hierarchy, if they are both acting properly and full of Mana, is still a duel between 8 Terms vs 3 Terms, and the guy on the advantage may still try to increase this difference. This is not a match to see who duels better, this is a match to see who can hack up the system better before the duel starts.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
              #AutismPride
              She/her pronouns

Comment

Forget about the number of victories, that was just personal preference, your basic system works for your intention of a faster duel.

But the initial Terms and modifiers do need a tweak. In both directions they're too big and easy to accumulate, which will make for a system that rewards too much an initial advantage, making the duel itself almost irrelevant. I'll tackle it one at a time:

……
                (Nice stuff)
                ……
                I only skim them for now since it’s a new busy day again, but will definitely include (most of) them in my next edit.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Checking back over the Chase rules, I feel as though an issue here is that the proposed transition to Duel Arcane end up taking out most of what makes the Chase rules interesting and worthwhile as an example to be modelled off of. The Term modifiers have little or nothing to do with the evolving conditions of the chase, they all exist in the social preamble and appear basically inflexible across the course of a duel. The Edge seems to mostly amount to determining who gets to roll first, and I feel as though there are going to be a lot of situations where losing 10-again isn't going to be as relevant as rolling with the best dice pool that you can manage.

The most significant tactical element I can see is the reference to the cycles, but the benefits of exceptional success seem only relevant for one of the sides under most circumstances... I feel as though it only has value to the Shield side, and the way that Edge gets passed around and successes have the potential to be constantly drained... I don't know, for a rewrite intended to be predicated on speed, it looks to me like it has a potential to drag itself out when it doesn't end up being fairly one-sided.

It's odd to me, because it seems to me that a priority here retained from the book rules is to basically capture the classic wizard's duel as seen in something like The Sword in the Stone or the comic Sandman, especially with the initial idea of making factors and Reach relevant. And I feel as though the actual Chase rules already have a basis for such a thing in the idea of what having the Edge does, that it allows the one holding it to dictate how the Chase is playing out and what dice rolls that demands to navigate it (which the Storyteller can add appropriate penalties to) and what potential narrative outcomes to failure are. I would look at that when hearing a person was making a Duel Arcane based on it, with an intention to include the element of "it's about harmlessly demonstrating what you could do to somebody" and think that the mechanics and narrative would be based around using Arcana capability to spin up challenging scenarios that the opponent would need to overcome. That's the kind of thing where I think it would need to hinge a bit on player creativity; some basis for the idea that the response has to be something that plausibly navigates or reverses the circumstance created by the attacker, with the Arcanum to back it up. To use that as the basis for choosing dice pools, assigning penalties, and altering the terms.

Like, if the Sword was Forces and created a narrative of engulfing somebody in a burning building, you can't just defend yourself arbitrarily with any Arcanum, the choice and how you narrate using it has to make sense. Some Arcana are more suited to that then others, although sufficient creativity (possibly combined with accounting for what the Practices the mage can access are actually capable of) can make any of them work. That can potentially be a thing that makes factors and Reach relevant; if that building is theoretically going to burn for a day, the one defending from or escaping it needs something that accounts for it. I don't know if that would make it quicker or not, but it would at least seem to me to be more engaging, use the Chase rules as an inspiration more, and end up with something that feels like more than a match of exchanging magical slaps.

Comment

My problem with Magic Duel rules in general, and in many systems, is precisely this idea of making a system for wizards to exchange magical slaps "in a safe way". Because they want to make magical duels, but don't want to expose the characters to the things their magic can actually do.

In my opinion the best system for this is simply to not have a system for an arcane duel, but several types of duel that run on the actual rules of the game. Pit summoned spirits against each other. See who can undo a magical creation of the other first. Or who can change shape fast and creatively enough to outmatch the other. Give an hour of preparation and then go seek and destroy your enemy. Or just tag.

Whatever you make, let the characters come up with rules instead of making artificial safe contests, let them come with reasonable constraints on which to use their magic. Heck, if they can't find a single magical activity they're both capable of competing on, just have the two of them discuss or practice their own thing and let judges decide the winner.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                    #AutismPride
                    She/her pronouns

Comment

I can at least see the idea that it's a tricky thing to navigate when the magic rules as they are might not be the best suited to something like a contest.

For instance, how breaking a spell isn't a very involved process; if you've got a dot of Prime and the matching Arcanum, it's just a spell that needs to be more Potent than the opponent's casting dots, and maybe the Reach for it to be Lasting. I think the idea of summoning spirits also has that issue, when play transfers from the players (it also seems to hit matters of the limitations of spirit summoning by mages). And changing shape becomes limited to Adepts in one Arcanum, and who goes first with each action is determined by something unrelated to magic.

I could think straightforward magical attacks are something they'd be less cavalier about than the supernaturals who can regenerate, and besides damage is predetermined now.

I think the concept makes sense, as something for resolving disputes promptly and with witnesses, but the portrayal leaves something to be desired.

Comment

Mobile posting is a pain, and the day’s not past yet, but I’m gonna indulge my Vice of Procrastinating for a Willpower point.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                        Checking back over the Chase rules, I feel as though an issue here is that the proposed transition to Duel Arcane end up taking out most of what makes the Chase rules interesting and worthwhile as an example to be modelled off of. The Term modifiers have little or nothing to do with the evolving conditions of the chase, they all exist in the social preamble and appear basically inflexible across the course of a duel. The Edge seems to mostly amount to determining who gets to roll first, and I feel as though there are going to be a lot of situations where losing 10-again isn't going to be as relevant as rolling with the best dice pool that you can manage.
                        So, shifting Terms it is then? And maybe something more than just losing 10-again for not using the dictated Attribute?

EDIT: wait, evolving conditions of the Chase? Did the original Chases rules have that too? I must’ve missed something….

The most significant tactical element I can see is the reference to the cycles, but the benefits of exceptional success seem only relevant for one of the sides under most circumstances... I feel as though it only has value to the Shield side, and the way that Edge gets passed around and successes have the potential to be constantly drained... I don't know, for a rewrite intended to be predicated on speed, it looks to me like it has a potential to drag itself out when it doesn't end up being fairly one-sided.
                        Mm, any suggestions here? The original Cycles just had dice bonuses/penalties, and those are kinda low-priority for me when designing stuff.

It's odd to me, because it seems to me that a priority here retained from the book rules is to basically capture the classic wizard's duel as seen in something like The Sword in the Stone or the comic Sandman, especially with the initial idea of making factors and Reach relevant. And I feel as though the actual Chase rules already have a basis for such a thing in the idea of what having the Edge does, that it allows the one holding it to dictate how the Chase is playing out and what dice rolls that demands to navigate it (which the Storyteller can add appropriate penalties to) and what potential narrative outcomes to failure are. I would look at that when hearing a person was making a Duel Arcane based on it, with an intention to include the element of "it's about harmlessly demonstrating what you could do to somebody" and think that the mechanics and narrative would be based around using Arcana capability to spin up challenging scenarios that the opponent would need to overcome. That's the kind of thing where I think it would need to hinge a bit on player creativity; some basis for the idea that the response has to be something that plausibly navigates or reverses the circumstance created by the attacker, with the Arcanum to back it up. To use that as the basis for choosing dice pools, assigning penalties, and altering the terms.

Like, if the Sword was Forces and created a narrative of engulfing somebody in a burning building, you can't just defend yourself arbitrarily with any Arcanum, the choice and how you narrate using it has to make sense. Some Arcana are more suited to that then others, although sufficient creativity (possibly combined with accounting for what the Practices the mage can access are actually capable of) can make any of them work. That can potentially be a thing that makes factors and Reach relevant; if that building is theoretically going to burn for a day, the one defending from or escaping it needs something that accounts for it.
                        “Give more weight to the Edge by making the Arcana change around too, and leave the smaller details to player creativity” — Did I get that right?

I don't know if that would make it quicker or not, but it would at least seem to me to be more engaging, use the Chase rules as an inspiration more, and end up with something that feels like more than a match of exchanging magical slaps.
                        Sadly I have no idea ATM how to wash away that last line’s impression.
                        Last edited by 21C Hermit; 12-21-2021, 12:07 AM.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

My problem with Magic Duel rules in general, and in many systems, is precisely this idea of making a system for wizards to exchange magical slaps "in a safe way". Because they want to make magical duels, but don't want to expose the characters to the things their magic can actually do.

In my opinion the best system for this is simply to not have a system for an arcane duel, but several types of duel that run on the actual rules of the game. Pit summoned spirits against each other. See who can undo a magical creation of the other first. Or who can change shape fast and creatively enough to outmatch the other. Give an hour of preparation and then go seek and destroy your enemy. Or just tag.

Whatever you make, let the characters come up with rules instead of making artificial safe contests, let them come with reasonable constraints on which to use their magic. Heck, if they can't find a single magical activity they're both capable of competing on, just have the two of them discuss or practice their own thing and let judges decide the winner.
                          The 1e supplement (whose name constantly eludes me despite me having opened it up damn yesterday) actually details such alternate duels that aren’t strictly Duels — Shadow Chess, teleporting tag, and… a cooking duel.

Okay, that last one might not be something actually in the book and something I just like. Anyways, I wanted to do Shadow Chess next anyways, after polishing up the ‘base’ Duel. Maybe I’ll write up a spell…

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Shadow chess could involve betting one owned Hallow for each participant. The task is to use only ephemeral entities to alter the flow and Resonance of determied ley lines. The winner will be the one who redirected and adapted the flow from his rival's Hallow into their own, effectively diminishing one while enhancing the other.

Supplementing the safety and efficiency of the process with Fallen geomancy (Occult rolls) is fine, but using Awakened one is not (Prime alterations are banned). The mages are to demonstrate their diplomatic, leadership and logistical abilities, thus such overt applications of power defeat the point. Because of this, its a favored challenge between mid to high ranking théarchs.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
                            The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy whose invisible hands guide through the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
                              Shadow chess could involve betting one owned Hallow for each participant. The task is to use only ephemeral entities to alter the flow and Resonance of determied ley lines. The winner will be the one who redirected and adapted the flow from his rival's Hallow into their own, effectively diminishing one while enhancing the other.

Supplementing the safety and efficiency of the process with Fallen geomancy (Occult rolls) is fine, but using Awakened one is not (Prime alterations are banned). The mages are to demonstrate their diplomatic, leadership and logistical abilities, thus such overt applications of power defeat the point. Because of this, its a favored challenge between mid to high ranking théarchs.
                              I kinda imagined a Spirit 3/4 spell named something like “Gaggle of Pawns” that spontaneously conjures up a bunch of Motes (Rank 0 spirits) who can only do trivial stuff normally, but cinematically awesome stuff when in the Dueling arena of Display of Power…

But yeah, your idea sounds better for spirit Duels that don’t end up looking like Pokemon. And also gives a reason why mages have a bad rep with their neighbors

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Working...
                              X