No announcement yet.

What's YOUR custom Legacy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the Daione aren't left-handed, I don't see why your spinners of fate would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Strill View Post
      Kinda. There's a ton of precedent for self-harm as a spiritual practice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortif...n_of_the_flesh
      See my follow up post. There is a huge history, as you pointed out, of pain being a path to spiritual purity (Flagellants in Christianity, fasting in most, etc). The comment was more about how you can base a legacy outside of mainstream human sexuality, involving physical harm, without resorting to rape.

Comment

The Tamers of Radio - a Free Council legacy that took the concept of the Elemental Tamers and gave it a modern spin. They are Obrimos who develop ways of manipulating both broadcast frequencies (actually going beyond radio) and the 'wavelengths' of the human mind.

The Gloaming - a mysterious cult of Acanthus who manipulate shadows and time in an attempt to defeat a bizarre apocalypse (the 'True Night'). They are dark prophets who can see the future by cutting off their senses, but their predictions are always about upcoming disaster.

The Ancient and Puissant First Chapter of Spellmasons - an odd bunch of sacred architects and monolith-builders, who are masters of weaving magic into structures they build or manipulate and channelling leylines for useful effects.

Comment

Hey, I like the Tamers of Radio, very original!

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Originally posted by Anachronistic Jam View Post
            The Scavengers of the Farthest Shore
            Really like these guys. Very original and interesting idea. Would love to see the full writeup with attainments if you could submit it.
            Originally posted by That Other Guy View Post
            The Tamers of Radio
            I concurr with Thorbes on this one. Another very original idea.
            The Gloaming
            There really should be more apocalyptic Acanthus groups. I would definitely love to see the full writeup of this one too.
            The Ancient and Puissant First Chapter of Spellmasons
            I feel that these are too much like the Tamers of Stone and the Tellurians to warrant a separate existence, but I'm always for sacred architect mages either way.

As for my own contributions:

Wenen-Nefru-Kau: Moros and théarch Ascension seekers with roots in ancient Egypt and its mysticism of the soul. They believe that the true road to the Supernal is by exaltation of the soul through magical alchemy. Their attainments guard their souls against outside tampering and grant them greater puissance in using magic related to soul manipulation. They are protected from Reaper status by the simple fact that their attainments are suppressed while their souls are too wounded (i.e. their Wisdom is low).

Eaters of the Void: Mastigos and Guardian mages who uphold the traditionally Guardian creed of sullying one's soul for the good of other mages. Their attainments allow them to purge other mages of magical impurities by taking them unto themselves, and at higher levels can even "eat" the Paradoxes and Wisdom sins of others. Their gifts are not freely given, however, and their charges are subjected to harrowing mental and physical trials before they are cleansed of their sins.

Circle of the Outer Light: Seer of the Throne priests who belong to the Obrimos Path and the Paternoster Ministry. They use their abilities with the Mind Arcanum to sway or break others to worshiping the Exarchs, and can even grant their "congregants" prophetic, though maddening, dreams of the Exarchs' commands.

Court of Discord: Left-handed Acanthus saboteurs shamefully associated with the Free Council. They believe that true enlightenment only exists when all rules are broken and utter chaos descends upon everything. To this end, they spread strife among people and topple organisations using their causality-breaking attainments, all to bring about their mad vision of absolute freedom from any supposed restraints.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian Pharaoh
              Wenen-Nefru-Kau: Moros and théarch Ascension seekers with roots in ancient Egypt and its mysticism of the soul. They believe that the true road to the Supernal is by exaltation of the soul through magical alchemy. Their attainments guard their souls against outside tampering and grant them greater puissance in using magic related to soul manipulation. They are protected from Reaper status by the simple fact that their attainments are suppressed while their souls are too wounded (i.e. their Wisdom is low).
              Hey, I remember these guys from the old forum, I had them saved in my laptop. I loved them. Can't remeber the part about the Attainments being supressed on low Wisdom, did you update them?

I'd remember a couple more:

Body Thiefs: Seer Legacy asociated with the Prelates of the Unity that achieve a sort of inmortality by living inside the bodies of slepers.

The Most Sacred and Exalted Lodge of the Midnight Sun: both parts Legacy, Mystery Cult and proto-Order, these Obrimoi study and conduct ritual death to help the souls along in its cycle.
              Last edited by Thorbes; 06-06-2014, 04:18 AM. Reason: for some reason I never, ever, write "remember" right the first time around

Comment

Hey guys, are some of them fully stated or are only some cool ideas? Because we should totally resurect the old Legacy Thread as it was in the old forum and post them. I at least want to see a lot of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
                  Hey, I remember these guys from the old forum, I had them saved in my laptop. I loved them. Can't remeber the part about the Attainments being supressed on low Wisdom, did you update them?
                  Yep: link.
                  Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
                  Hey guys, are some of them fully stated or are only some cool ideas? Because we should totally resurect the old Legacy Thread as it was in the old forum and post them. I at least want to see a lot of those.
                  YES TO ALL OF THIS!

Comment

Supernal Technologist: Supernal Technologists take the typical Libertine view of technology approaching magic and run with it; where a normal Libertine will encourage sleeper technological advances a Supernal Technologist will be developing new technologies from Supernally inspired designs and using magic to "bridge the gap" on developing or futuristic technologies, often then attempting to reverse engineer the devices to discover "mundane" ways of building them. See my sig for more details.

proin's Legacy hub

Comment

Disciples of Rathma: Free Council Legacy based around the wheel of life and death and Darwin's theory of evolution. Members of the Legacy are Moros and Thyrsus, who believe evolution is driven by the cycle of life and death and try to apply those principles to their own bodies. Basically becoming able to evolve themselves. They came around the same time as the Free Council and are a bit more hidebound than the average. They take often appearance and rituals from sleeper religions that look at this cyclical relationship between life and death.

After I made the first drafts of the legacy my ST pointed out that they are basically trying to transform themselves into biological Seed AIs. Which I realized is actually a pretty good description. Now I have fun imagining how the legacy is slowly getting traction among thechnologically minded, tranhumanism affine libertines. to the great consternation and disgust of some of the old guard.
                      Last edited by Joker; 06-06-2014, 09:36 AM.

My custom legacy (2e)- The Disciples of Rathma - Life/Death focused Moros/Thyrsus Legacy, comments appreciated

Comment

The Secluded Mystics: An Obrimos + Arcanthus legacy comprised of isolationists who live in temples high atop the peaks of snow covered mountains. Disconnected from the troubles of the world, they refine their magic and contemplate the mysteries of the universe. They accept new members from the Awakened, but only if they can pass their test, they must be able to scale their mountain without the use magic. Unfortunately most end up freezing to death in a blizzard or being crushed by an avalanche before they even see the temple. Sleepers who accomplish this feat are permitted to ask one question of the temple's leader, which he or she will answer truthfully to the best of their ability.

(Premise for this Legacy is based on Tibetan Monks, as well as the Doctor Strange movie.)

Comment

Indeed. Pattern scouring is base-book stuff for a reason, Strill; it could stand some further elaboration, in fact, given the Thyrsus and Mastigos emphasis on the topic of extreme experiential enlightenment. There are also multiple Ecstatic legacies, like the (mediocre) example from Legacies the Sublime.

I've had plenty of legacy ideas over the years, only a few of which I posted. I'll list some that I've not mentioned before:

Fire Tenders: These are keepers of the Eternal Flame. They make pilgrimage to the Well of Knowledge, and strive to keep the supernal light alive in the Fallen World. They have attainments to use literal fire (and possibly sunlight) as metaphorical enlightenment. A sacred fire can be used to reveal secrets or destroy things. Prime primary, Forces secondary. Spirit optional.

Shinobi: A warrior legacy that focuses on fighting from the shadows. They manipulate shadows and ultimately become one with it. Death primary, of course.

Digitus Medius: They claim to be the "Finger of the Oracles" and that they are each specifically selected by them, but essentially no one believes them. They consider themselves the harriers in the Ascension War. They know their place. This is a Free Council legacy (in fact, more specifically, Freedom Fighter) open to anyone who is willing to pass their tests. Willingness to fight the Lie is the most critical. Their attainments are Fate (primary) and Mind based and represent an awareness of the Lie and how it affects perceptions. They study a phenomenon or system and then use their supernally-granted knowledge to break it or subvert it."Cosmic Judo" is a fun description they sometimes use to describe it.
                          Rumor holds that their Grand Master is actually a Guardian plant and they know it... he's effective, so why should they care? True or not, that describes their attitude quite well.

Pearl Sages: They fashion, wear, and eventually integrate as a third eye a large pearl filled with the wisdom of the lunar dragon. The Dragon's Eye provides great perception and even understanding. Ultimately, even authority over spells is granted the sage. Prime primary, Mind conjunctional, and Spirit optional.
                          (Dark sages could use a Death/Mind variation and be able to capture souls in their eyes)

Pit Baiters: These are Fate workers who attempt to curse the Abyss, tying it up in Supernal Mandates and driving it back. If the Supernal defines 'What Is' then the Loom of Fate defines the patterns of everything. Paradox is where 'What Cannot Be' is getting tangled up in the Loom. Baiter attempt to fix that by cursing the darkness--thus binding it. Paradox rolls are manipulated as these magi try to weave them out of the world. Fate primary. Considered reckless, at best, but they do have their successes. For now, they are not deemed Left Handed.

Living Spectre: Learning the Atlantean model of ghosts is one thing, but these fellows apply it to their own minds while living. At first, they have to "die" to call up their Shade, but eventually, they can send it to act out their will without them. Death primary, Mind conjunctional

Barren Souls: Members find their feelings of loss and isolation from what should be so great that they begin to hunger for anything real. Having tasted the sky, the earth is a truly dank prison. As they progress, their requirements deepen: The strongest ties to supernal concepts like love are unaffected, but the weakest become meaningless, and that cut-off grows as they do. They cling to anything that remains with desperation. They need mana and magic to feel like a normal human being any more. They consume mana and, eventually, spells. Like calls to like, and they are also adept at locating others who feel isolated or desperate. Declared Left-Handed, but the ruling is in appeal. Their powers work exceedingly well against mage threats; rumors hold that Seers are destroyed by taking the legacy.

Dolor: (Edit: Ah, yes, The Daimonic Lance) They are a damaged legacy who cannot escape pain unless they share it with others. Their curse is the pain that will not quit, but they can share more pain than just that, making them dangerous to attack. Eventually they learn to cope by walling their pain off from their consciousness and eventually gain the ability to precisely target the release, rather than generally sweep up all around them in diffused pain. Mind.

(Wrote the last one up during a migraine, if you couldn't guess.)
                          Last edited by thenate; 08-29-2015, 02:04 AM.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

The Tenants of Gaia: A Thyrsus Legacy who have formed an alliance with the Werewolves and dedicate their magic to assisting them in their duty to safeguard the physical and spiritual realms. Often referred to as Druids by those outside this Legacy, the Tenants of Gaia have grown quite fond of shapeshifting into various animal forms both in and out of battle (though almost never as powerful as a true Lupine). In addition to their specializations in Life and Spirit, they have also taken up training in the Arcana of Matter, granting them nearly total control over the environment and its inhabitants both physical and spiritual. The Tenants of Gaia prefer to live in the wilderness and rarely interact with major human civilizations unless there is a serious threat to the environment that must be addressed. Occasionally they have also been known to sent a "recruiter" into town, looking for worthy Thyrsus who might be willing to join their Legacy and ensure the world continues to be preserved from those who would see it destroyed.
                            Last edited by Nyrufa; 06-07-2014, 01:27 AM.

Comment

I'd love to see some of these Legacies fleshed out. Not sure if I should resurrect the old Legacy thread on the previous forum given that I haven't come up with any Legacies myself but I'd be ecstatic if one of you folks did.

Originally posted by Joker View Post
                              Disciples of Rathma: Free Council Legacy based around the wheel of life and death and Darwin's theory of evolution. Members of the Legacy are Moros and Thyrsus, who believe evolution is driven by the cycle of life and death and try to apply those principles to their own bodies. Basically becoming able to evolve themselves. They came around the same time as the Free Council and are a bit more hidebound than the average. They take often appearance and rituals from sleeper religions that look at this cyclical relationship between life and death.

After I made the first drafts of the legacy my ST pointed out that they are basically trying to transform themselves into biological Seed AIs. Which I realized is actually a pretty good description. Now I have fun imagining how the legacy is slowly getting traction among thechnologically minded, tranhumanism affine libertines. to the great consternation and disgust of some of the old guard.
                              These seem like a perfect fit for Dataweavers Palinoros, an alternate Watchtower with Life and Death as it's Ruling Arcanum. He's actually looking for appropriate Legacies so here's the relevant thread if you're interested: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...her-five-paths.

Call me Count .

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                                But it seems being risky isn't enough to actually warrant being evil, as Jam pointed out. If we didn't have the Immortals book describing the function of Body Snatchers, I could have made them cheat death by jumping to a new host. I imagine that would qualify as Left-Handed, but sadly it's already taken. D:...
                                I'd point out that this is actually not a problem at all. You can either make this a legacy that was created by such a figure Awakening, a mage who researched them enough to discover a way to tap the same mystical properties, or could simply be an unrelated way of doing something similar. Any of those takes on the subject could make for an interesting Legacy.Oh, and these would be left-handed if they were known about...

Actually, imagine a legacy who can (in effect) meditate to his Oneiros, activate an attainment to up stakes, and astrally travel via the Temenos to another Oneiros to make camp. Death of the current host kills the mage, but this would make a really slippery devil. The former mind could remain intact and uninjured in this process, rendering the mage a passenger. This could be developed into something interesting and not necessarily left-handed.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

Working...
                                X