Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unconventional Immortality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unconventional Immortality

    To its proper place in the Mage forum, because I herp when I derp.

    We all know the Tremere method and the body stealing and the bargains that summoners can make with various entities to arrest their aging, things like that, but what other methods can you people invent to allow for a mage to keep on existing? By all means, post them. Even if they are Imperial spells, as long as they aren't the examples given in Imperial Mysteries I want to know. Hell, post incomplete ideas too so people can speculate about potential requirements for them!

    Right now I am designing a Siddha of Death who has an interest in existing as himself forever, but without upsetting the balance of Death. He figures he can achieve this by throwing himself into a cycle of death and reincarnation that allows him to remain an Archmaster throughout the whole thing, or at least most of the thing, with his soul and mind invulnerable to harm but his flesh still vulnerable to the ravages of time. This way he will undergo the transformative process of Death repeatedly, which will further his studies, and let him learn from many formative periods as unpredictably new people. Eventually he'll figure out this Assumption thing.

    So besides Death 7, would he actually need Archmastery of anything else to pull this off?


    Revlid wrote:
    Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

  • #2
    Or he could just stay in his Road/Chantry for the vast majority of his time...

    As I recall, there is a non-Imperial Life spell somewhere that can extend your natural lifespan depending on however much time a mage spends under its effects. You'd have to cast it considerably often in order to truly achieve anything close to "immortality," though. Same goes for Time spells like Fairy Glade which can allow time around you to advance at a faster or slower rate; you'd be around for a longer span of years than others if you cast the spell often, at the expense of probably missing out on a lot while in your little Time bubble.

    For what you're talking about... hmm, it might be possible, though probably not with Death alone. You might need a fair amount of Mind magic to preserve your memories and personality, and probably a certain degree of Fate and/or Time as well to trigger the reincarnation effect at the moment of your death.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, but would it require archmastery of Mind, Fate and Time?


      Revlid wrote:
      Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

      Comment


      • #4
        There's Steal Body, Death 5+Life 3, which is kind of what you're doing except that you're not kicking a soul out of its body. If you cranked up the Life to 4 or 5 you could probably do a version of the spell that just put you into a freshly born baby, although you'd probably need Time 2+Fate 2 to set up a conditional trigger of "when I die, this goes off". Maybe Space 2 as well to be within range of a suitable newborn.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Yawgmoth View Post
          There's Steal Body, Death 5+Life 3, which is kind of what you're doing except that you're not kicking a soul out of its body. If you cranked up the Life to 4 or 5 you could probably do a version of the spell that just put you into a freshly born baby, although you'd probably need Time 2+Fate 2 to set up a conditional trigger of "when I die, this goes off". Maybe Space 2 as well to be within range of a suitable newborn.
          Nothing actually stops you from using it on a newborn.

          Comment


          • #6
            It's not true immortality but Steal Lifespan, a Death 5 spell lets you steal between 1-5 years of a person's life and attach them onto you. You can just cast that every once and awhile. It doesn't stop you from aging but you can deal with Life magic for that.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Knowbody View Post
              As I recall, there is a non-Imperial Life spell somewhere that can extend your natural lifespan depending on however much time a mage spends under its effects. You'd have to cast it considerably often in order to truly achieve anything close to "immortality," though.
              Vital Balance (Life + Death), in the Book of Life, in the Grimoire of Grimoires. Slows your aging by a factor depending on your Death + Gnosis. It's not impossible to multiply your lifespan by 10 with this thing, which is pretty impressive.

              Originally posted by Epimetheus
              Nothing actually stops you from using it on a newborn.
              When DOES the soul enter a new person in its development, anyway? Though that's still kinda "upsetting the balance of Death", the OP was about using the cycle of reincarnation, not short-circuiting it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Aiden View Post
                Yes, but would it require archmastery of Mind, Fate and Time?
                i think mind death 7 and fate time 2 would be enough

                IM says this in The Practice of Entities
                Once rewritten, the target is altered forever and the abilities will be passed down by any means of propagation the subject has.

                you use death and mind to mix together the awakened soul and the part of your mind that has the memories and knowledge of the arcana and make it a single stuff that wont be reseted when it enters in the cycle of rebirth, Entities takes care of the rest.
                fate and time is to put a triger so that you regain your knowledge when the new body is already developed, spending 9 months in the womb and those first years with people changin your diapers and having to relearn how to walk with the mind of an adult/god would drive you mad in 2 or 3 reincarnations

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Aiden View Post
                  Yes, but would it require archmastery of Mind, Fate and Time?
                  At that point you can just use Archmastery 7 to become permanently immortal. It would be easier just to create a legacy on reincarnation if the left-handed path is anything to go by.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That is not what I want to do with this idea. Please try to work with the premise.

                    Thank you, everybody in this thread who is actually attempting to do so. You're wonderful.


                    Revlid wrote:
                    Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Aiden View Post
                      That is not what I want to do with this idea. Please try to work with the premise.

                      Thank you, everybody in this thread who is actually attempting to do so. You're wonderful.
                      If you want a cycle. Then just use Life and Death that's pretty much it. Fate and mind are unnecessary. Here Since I'm so fond of Imperial Mystery spells I'll make it for you.

                      Eternal Cycle (Death 7, Life 7)
                      Practice:Entities
                      Duration: Lasting

                      Most archmasters don't like such a clear cut immortal body, for them or their servants sometimes it makes it a much easier to fool enemies and friends alike by dying only to live again. Eternal Cycle is a spell which changes the cycle of life and death on a target. As soon as a person dies rather than disappear or turn into a ghost, his soul transfers to the closest woman near him or her and impregnates her, (In the case of archmasters the closest woman near the last location they were in while in the fallen world) after a normal pregnancy. The specifications of the woman and the process maybe be altered so that only specific types of woman may be targeted, only after the target would normally be pregnant, physically retaining previous features or rapidly growing to a specific age.


                      Versions of the spell can be as nice or as gruesome as you want it basically.
                      Last edited by Epimetheus; 11-28-2013, 08:38 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        according withleft handed path, the awakening and the arcana are not in the soul, if you lose your soul and replace it with a sleeper soul you are still an awakened

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sakii View Post
                          according withleft handed path, the awakening and the arcana are not in the soul, if you lose your soul and replace it with a sleeper soul you are still an awakened
                          Soul is just a word in this case. The spell is transferring your life into a womb, and impregnating it upon death.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm not sure why you're using Life 7 for this one, Epimetheus.


                            Revlid wrote:
                            Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Aiden View Post
                              I'm not sure why you're using Life 7 for this one, Epimetheus.
                              See my last post.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X