Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History of Awakened - Mage Timeline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    They are given aproximate dates in the Seers book (pp. 26-27).

    - The Minoan Atlantis, in the island of Thera (current Santorini) fell circa 1500 B.C.E. The historians and archeologists (in real world) dont agree about the exact date (between 1627 and 1500).

    - The Hyperborean Atlantis, in a North Sea island fell seven centuries later, circa 800 B.C.E.

    - The Adytum Atlantis (in the Shadow) fell five centuries latter, around 300 B.C.E. It was a united effort of Egyptian, Persian and Greek mages. That could be one of the first (and failed) attempts of the Darshanas of creating a great common project.


    In all of them, the Seers tried to sabotage those efforts. The Minoan and Hyperborean could just be a case of History rewritting. The real history could just include rival factions of mages, some of them joining latter the Diamond and others joining the Seers, or maybe the Seers simply took the original legend and included themselves there.
    The last one, the Adytum, could explain the Seers in the context of the Diadochi wars. Although the Seers don't know why did it disappear, they conspired against it,


    LAND OF THE DAMNED: SPAIN (Spanish): Land of the Damned: Spain, Kingdoms of Blood: Spain; Cities of the Damned: Barcelona, Valencia, Carthian Constitution (1812), Three Arrows Pact:

    OTHERS (Spanish): Demon: The Redemption, Bloodlines: The Forgotten

    Comment


    • #32
      The Guardians (Or their forerunners) also participated in those sabotages. They really take issue with any attempt to fix the world outside the Heiromagus.

      Comment


      • #33
        A couple more from the Seers Book:

        - 1270: The Paternoster Seers discover The Tutor on the Tunisian Steppe.
        - 1272: The first Hollow One is created by exposing Sleepers to The Tutor.
        - 1889: The first Grigori is created.


        Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

        CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Uxas View Post
          They are given aproximate dates in the Seers book (pp. 26-27).

          - The Minoan Atlantis, in the island of Thera (current Santorini) fell circa 1500 B.C.E. The historians and archeologists (in real world) dont agree about the exact date (between 1627 and 1500).

          - The Hyperborean Atlantis, in a North Sea island fell seven centuries later, circa 800 B.C.E.
          Those two are problem as Seers are long song of future in those times. I would probably point those lost as various Darshanas cults wanted to rule one over another, leading to inner conflicts that split those civilizations.

          Originally posted by Uxas View Post
          - The Adytum Atlantis (in the Shadow) fell five centuries latter, around 300 B.C.E. It was a united effort of Egyptian, Persian and Greek mages. That could be one of the first (and failed) attempts of the Darshanas of creating a great common project.
          With 300 B.C.E. time frame, it could be that here is first time Tyrannoi, as Darshana faction, come to real action. Maybe a project was even inspired by Alexander's conquests from 330 B.C.E? Participating Awakened wanted to created perfect kingdom to rule, only it had splinted out of proportions, with many Darshanas not working coherently. Later Seers would see this as their first 'victory' - as fueling conflicts in mages society - even with their Order come to being 100 years later.


          My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            Those two are problem as Seers are long song of future in those times. I would probably point those lost as various Darshanas cults wanted to rule one over another, leading to inner conflicts that split those civilizations.
            It's worth noting that both are heavily mythologised as almost parables for Seers (Thea's Sacrifice, and the Hyperborean Deception). Plus, they only make sense in the context of a mythology where there is a Fall. So I'd re-interpret them as Seer myths created by the modern Order after the development of the Atlantis mythology.


            Comment


            • #36
              Also remember that Seers are progeny of Tyrannoi and both Omphalos and Phulakeion Darshanas - that's why modern Seers seems so much look a like to both Silver Ladder and Guardians of the Veil. That means that 'Atlantisis' sabotages goes to Phulakeion that latter becomes both Seers and Guardians.


              My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

              Comment


              • #37
                Another thing we could do here is mention some of the known Bostonian timeline. Basing the timeline of the events on the years the books that contained the fiction were printed. For example, the Nemean was arrested and sentenced by the Silver Ladder in... 2008 I believe Silver Ladder was printed.

                Comment


                • #38
                  First version of Ancient Era rewrite I want to post over first post. Before I do this, I just want you to check if it works and is book correct.

                  Ancient Era

                  Till 336 BCE: Beside few projects, Awakened are scattered on outskirts of their communities. They practice they Art alone, or in small groups, connected by larger nations mythos calling themselves Great Cults. They do not see this yet, but they are following basic principles of Magic and they groups have common themes across the globe ( called by later Darshanas ). But for now they are on they own. ( To The Strongest - Dark Eras )

                  Circa 1500 BCE: The Minoan ‘Atlantis’ - In the island of Thera (current Santorini), local Awakened from Arcadian Mysteries tradition cults, that later will be called Omphalos and Phulakeion Darshanas, wanted to create Perfect Society. Unfortunately, inconsistency of views between them lead to mass disaster that sunken island. The precise fall of civilizations is unknown. historians and archeologists of Sleeprs don’t agree about the exact date (between 1627 and 1500 BCE). It’s from this event later Guardians of Veil and Seers of Throne Orders will assess that any ‘Atlantis’ project bring only disasters. ( Guardians of Veil and Seers of Throne )

                  Circa 800 BCE: The Hyperborean ‘Atlantis’ - In a North Sea island, so called Five Princes, leaders from Omphalos cults, assembled several dozen followers and attempted to transform this bleak and remote island into a new Awakened City that they referred to as Hyperborea. Hubris filled mages tried to change icy climate of North, but Fallen World don’t let them. Was it massive Dissonance of reality or involvement from Phulakeion Darshanas cults is debated to this day. End result was that Five Princes’ spells become unstable in a particularly violent and uncontrolled fashion. These efforts created a devastating feedback effect that caused preternaturally terrible storms to sweep down over this island. The resulting whirlwinds and waterspouts killed almost a fifth of the assembled mages and injured almost half the rest. ( Silver Ladder and Seers of Throne )


                  334 BCE: Aristotle founds Peripatetic school in the Lyceum of Athens. Some of his students are Awakened. They make a cult dedicated to uncovering the Mysteries of the world. ( To The Strongest - Dark Eras )

                  336-323 BCE: Alexander the Great conquest build Empire of never heard before proportions, stretching from Greece to India. His interest in philosophy and magic passed by his teacher Aristotle make Awakened interest to join his army on journey. Sorcerers from West go to the lands of East. And those from East set foot on the West. Finally meeting in longer period of time, they found that they Art and cults are following the basic principles - called Darshanas - that will become Orders as we know it. For now, influx of mixed cultures and ideas let to build first lasting relation between sorcerers. Persian word “magi” start to become popular term on Awakened. ( To The Strongest - Dark Eras )

                  323 BCE: Aristotle must run with his family from Athens, because his critique of government. His Awakened followers from Gnostikon Darshana cult call it Keepers of the Word, as they sworn to uncover as much of knowledge they can in their lifetime. Groups splints when their mentor is leaving them. With Eastern sorcerers travelling in Empire working on very similar principle, group starts join, meet and spread on Mediterranean Sea area. ( Fan, based on Mysterium and To The Strongest - Dark Eras )

                  323-321 BCE: With death of Alexander, the Empire is in flux. Tyrannoi - self-interested faction in Arcadian Mysteries that want to rule the Sleepers - start to make moves to size the control of it. The war oriented ones from Adamantine Arrow Darshana called themselves Diadochi, after they Sleepers counterparts that rage war for succession of Empire. Those mages are fueling the everlasting conflict, under General’s patronage. ( To The Strongest - Dark Eras )

                  321-Onward BCE: Empire is split under the four kingdoms - the Ptolemaic Kingdom in Egypt, the Seleucid Empire in the east, the Kingdom of Pergamon in Asia Minor, and Macedon - that rage by 40 years war of succession. Rome use opportunity to slowly take a more prominent stance on the area. ( To The Strongest - Dark Eras )

                  Circa 300 BCE: Phoenix Brethren, Gnostikon Darshana coalition from across once Alexander Empire, emerges The Adytum of Mystery, New Atlantis in the Shadow Realm. It was a united effort of Greece, Egypt, Persia and the rest of the Hellenistic Awakened from various Gnostikon cults. In a frighteningly short period of time, they succeeded in laying the groundwork for this vast and noble metropolis. Some of records indicate that these initial efforts took less than a week. In response to the construction of the Adytum, Tyrannoi from all across the Hellenistic World began working on a plan to disrupt it by making deals with exceptionally powerful spirits. However, well before any of these plans came to fruition, the Adytum vanished and the few of its builders who returned to the Fallen world were broken in mind and body. What’s more, anyone looking for city would be touched the same mysterious illness. Searching for Cursed Metropolis was banned in decade after it, and in half of century all concrete traces of it were forgotten, even when modern Mysterium cultivate rumors on higher levels of it of Orders hierarchy. ( Mysterium and Seers of Throne )
                  Last edited by wyrdhamster; 10-25-2016, 03:56 AM.


                  My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                  LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    So DaveB dropped a clarification bomb in the Keepers vs Pancryptias topic, basically pointing out that I totally misjudged profile of two previous Gnostikon Orders. So half of Ancient Era timeline need to re-written.

                    Will need your help and voices of reason on what to do with their origins now. Here is short and longer distinction between them two - Short one:

                    Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                    In a medieval setting, the Keepers would be monasteries and the Pancryptiates hermitage-dwelling poor friars.
                    Long one:
                    Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                    Remember what the Corpus Mysterium is about: Neither Order had the tone statement the Mysterium does of "magic is alive", because that was her Noumenon.

                    The Keepers believed that they safeguarded *knowledge*, and had both proto-Athenea that didn't have the religious traits modern Athenea have, and a Guanxi-like economy of information. They thought that they were the last bastions of civilisation in a chaotic universe, and their internal disagreements were about whether it was better to influence Sleeper affairs by sharing technology and culture the Sleepers had lost versus preserving it for future need. They were like a cross between the Mysterium, Free Council, and Silver Ladder, with almost Seer-like leanings. Their tone statement could be "magic has worth" - both a price to be paid and value if taken from others.

                    The Pancryptiates were smaller, weirder, and much more gnostic. They believed Sleepers actively damaged the world by existing, and sought to either remove themselves from the world and society or build bulwarks where the Abyss had less sway. The Keepers regarded all knowledge as at least partially magical - the Pancryptiates would be outraged by a Keeper storehouse keeping roman crop management manuals alongside the grimoires. They built demesnes, summoned supernal entities, studied the Abyss, explored Emanations and sought a way *out* of the Fallen World. They were like a cross between the Mysterium, Guardians, Arrow (they relished self-sacrifice for the cause, like becoming savants or jettisonning all mortal ties) and, in some ways, Tremere - they were deeply interested in the soul, and thought the world was evil.
                    Maybe it's too simplistic, but does not this mean that Keepers of Word are basically lorekeepers ( and lore traders ) and Pancryptiates are extreme gnostics? Maybe I should just swap their names and make Keepers coming from Library of Alexandria and Pancryptiates hailing from Artistotles cult?

                    There is also take in account To the Strongest added material, that was not when I made first take on timeline. In Dark Eras we have this quote:

                    Originally posted by To the Strongest
                    Future Fate: Over the coming century, the Jnanashakti organize a society of wisdom seekers throughout the known world, but never fully unify. The school divides itself into two distinct factions which endure for the next two millennia. One faction dominated by Pelasgians and Weret-Hekau seeks out magical Artifacts, texts, and wondrous places for their pragmatic virtues. They believe magi should use whatthey find to defeat ignorance and malefic sorcery.
                    There seems to be Keepers of Word. Pelasgians and Weret-Hekau domination means Greeks and Egyptians, so maybe idea of origin in Library of Alexandria seems good here?

                    Originally posted by To the Strongest
                    The Karpani-dominated second group believes it incautious to harness these discoveries immediately, and concentrates on archiving, guarding, and carefully studying them. Mantriki prefer this approach, though this may stem from rivalries with the Pelasgians instead of strong sentiments.
                    So we left with Pancryptiates Order origins - Karpani are meaning Persian mages and Mantriki meaning Indian, so maybe other originate event should be chosen here than Aristotel? But we still need to take in account that they created Egregore Merit as we know it. Maybe some greater Persian visioner/prophet as inspiration?
                    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 10-26-2016, 10:38 AM.


                    My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                    LGBT+ through Ages
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                      Maybe I should just swap their names and make Keepers coming from Library of Alexandria and Pancryptiates hailing from Artistotles cult?
                      Supposedly the Library was founded by a pupil of Aristotle.


                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I personally think you are hanging too much around Aristotle as a jumpstart point for the birth of both Keepers and Pancryptiates. The Hellenistic period and the Diamond Orders were not the product of Aristotle ideas, but of Alexander conquests. The birth of the Orders as a trans regional phenomenon was not probably a linear process either, but a convergent one, at least until Rome achieves enough territorial power.

                        The way I see it, the free movement of individuals between formerly isolated countries and the exchange of ideas and magical philosophies meant a huge cultural threat to the Great Cults, which started to lose relevance (after all, what use there is for myth when that doesn't help you understand your neighbours?) and each Darshana slowly replaced them as the go-to institution for learning and political organization. The transversality of Darshanas becomes an asset in an increasingly interconnected world, and most of the teaching and mystical roles becomes subsumed into their organization, leaving the Great Cults as merely regional tribunals, that is, the seeds of modern Consilia around the Classical world.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          Supposedly the Library was founded by a pupil of Aristotle.
                          Yes, it was - I even made it in first versions of Timeline as original point of creation ( wrongly assesed ) Pancrypties. Warning: Outdated version of gameline events.

                          Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                          297- 283 BCE: Demetrius of Phalerum, Athenian orator, student of Theophrastus and Aristotel, is banished from his homeland after ten years of governing Athens and living Thebes behind him, comes to the court of Alexandria. Under the rule of Ptolemy I Soter he creates Library of Alexandria. Even if he probably were not the sorcerer, his students and colleges were - and they all created Gnostikon Darshana cult of preserving all knowledge. Even after the exile of Demetrius by the Ptolemy II, cult inside the Library thrive. This group would call itself Pancryptiates and created first in known Atheneum in Great Library of Alexandria. In years to come, Pancrypties would spread on all former Alexandrian Empire, by the trade of books it copied and preserved. ( Fan, based on Mysterium )
                          It still does not change fact that various students of Aristotel could made two different cults - one under their mentor, in his own school, and one after one of his students rethink some things and started Library of Alexandria in Egypt.

                          Still, the 2E take from Dark Eras marks second cult to be filled with Persian and Indian mages, so I doubt it would started as from Aristotel School cult. But my knowledge of Kaprani related tradition is very low and I do not have who and where could start Pancrypties cult as extreme gnostics from those kingdoms.

                          I suppose that great influnace would be Zoroastrianism, with it's duality on virtuos Ahura Mazda and chaotic Angra Mainyu. I belive that Pancrypties as Darshana cult would equal Angra Mainyu with Abyss and that 'chaos' want to devour world, in the end, so knowledge must be preserved from it, 'take in the light' of culltists.

                          But when I read more on this religion on Wikipedia, I come to realization there are very interesting threads that can be used for Pancrypties background. Here are some excperst from article:

                          Originally posted by Zoroastrianism on Wikipedia
                          The roots of Zoroastrianism are thought to have emerged from a common prehistoric Indo-Iranian religious system dating back to the early 2nd millennium BCE.[34] The prophet Zoroaster himself, though traditionally dated to the 6th century BC, is thought by many modern historians to have been a reformer of the polytheistic Iranian religion who lived in the 10th century BC.[35] Zoroastrianism as a religion was not firmly established until several centuries later. Zoroastrianism enters recorded history in the mid-5th century BCE. Herodotus' The Histories (completed c. 440 BCE) includes a description of Greater Iranian society with what may be recognizably Zoroastrian features, including exposure of the dead.
                          Originally posted by Zoroastrianism on Wikipedia
                          The Histories is a primary source of information on the early period of the Achaemenid era(648–330 BCE), in particular with respect to the role of the Magi. According to Herodotus i.101, the Magi were the sixth tribe of the Medians (until the unification of the Persian empire under Cyrus the Great, all Iranians were referred to as "Mede" or "Mada" by the peoples of the Ancient World), who appear to have been the priestly caste of the Mesopotamian-influenced branch of Zoroastrianism today known as Zurvanism, and who wielded considerable influence at the courts of the Median emperors.

                          The Zoroastrian Achaemenid Empire at its greatest extent was the largest ancient empire in recorded history at 8.0 million km2(480 BCE).[36]

                          Following the unification of the Median and Persian empires in 550 BCE, Cyrus the Great and, later, his son Cambyses II curtailed the powers of the Magi after they had attempted to sow dissent following their loss of influence. In 522 BCE, the Magi revolted and set up a rival claimant to the throne. The usurper, pretending to be Cyrus' younger son Smerdis, took power shortly thereafter.[37] Owing to the despotic rule of Cambyses and his long absence in Egypt, "the whole people, Persians, Medes and all the other nations" acknowledged the usurper, especially as he granted a remission of taxes for three years (Herodotus iii. 68).


                          Maybe a Panscryptia cult could start at Magi revolt in 522 BCE, when mages understood they must defend their lore and secrets from Sleepers influances? Or when in 550 the sow dissent in society - it seams as thing Pancryptias for fathers would do. It also would give nice headway of 2 centuries for the Order from Keepers in spreading in Hellenistic world.

                          Linked map also made very possible to Panscrypties joining with similar cults in India, as Persian Empire was so close to it.

                          [SIZE=14px]
                          Originally posted by '[/SIZE
                          Zoroastrianism on Wikipedia']According to later Zoroastrian legend (Denkard and the Book of Arda Viraf), many sacred texts were lost when Alexander the Great's troops invaded Persepolis and subsequently destroyed the royal library there. Diodorus Siculus's Bibliotheca historica, which was completed circa 60 BCE, appears to substantiate this Zoroastrian legend (Diod. 17.72.2–17.72.6). According to one archaeological examination, the ruins of the palace of Xerxes bear traces of having been burned (Stolze, 1882). Whether a vast collection of (semi-)religious texts "written on parchment in gold ink", as suggested by the Denkard, actually existed remains a matter of speculation, but is unlikely. Given that many of the Denkards statements-as-fact have since been refuted among scholars, the tale of the library is widely accepted to be fictional (Kellens, 2002).

                          This event would also mark start of nice Pancrypties and Keepers of Word fued, if first where realated to Zoroastrianism cults and second would Alexanders succecors from Library of Alexandria. Keepers could replay that was their fathers doing, not their, but for Pancrypties it would only point their foolishness in beliving that Sleepers will not turn against them.


                          My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                          LGBT+ through Ages
                          LGBT+ in CoD games

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            Supposedly the Library was founded by a pupil of Aristotle.
                            Yes, it was - I even made it in first versions of Timeline as original point of creation ( wrongly assesed ) Pancrypties. Warning: Outdated version of gameline events.

                            Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                            297- 283 BCE: Demetrius of Phalerum, Athenian orator, student of Theophrastus and Aristotel, is banished from his homeland after ten years of governing Athens and living Thebes behind him, comes to the court of Alexandria. Under the rule of Ptolemy I Soter he creates Library of Alexandria. Even if he probably were not the sorcerer, his students and colleges were - and they all created Gnostikon Darshana cult of preserving all knowledge. Even after the exile of Demetrius by the Ptolemy II, cult inside the Library thrive. This group would call itself Pancryptiates and created first in known Atheneum in Great Library of Alexandria. In years to come, Pancrypties would spread on all former Alexandrian Empire, by the trade of books it copied and preserved. ( Fan, based on Mysterium )
                            It still does not change fact that various students of Aristotel could made two different cults - one under their mentor, in his own school, and one after one of his students rethink some things and started Library of Alexandria in Egypt.

                            Still, the 2E take from Dark Eras marks second cult to be filled with Persian and Indian mages, so I doubt it would started as from Aristotel School cult. But my knowledge of Kaprani related tradition is very low and I do not have who and where could start Pancrypties cult as extreme gnostics from those kingdoms.

                            I suppose that great influnace would be Zoroastrianism, with it's duality on virtuos Ahura Mazda and chaotic Angra Mainyu. I belive that Pancrypties as Darshana cult would equal Angra Mainyu with Abyss and that 'chaos' want to devour world, in the end, so knowledge must be preserved from it, 'take in the light' of culltists.

                            But when I read more on this religion on Wikipedia, I come to realization there are very interesting threads that can be used for Pancrypties background. Here are some excperst from article:

                            Originally posted by Zoroastrianism on Wikipedia
                            The roots of Zoroastrianism are thought to have emerged from a common prehistoric Indo-Iranian religious system dating back to the early 2nd millennium BCE.[34] The prophet Zoroaster himself, though traditionally dated to the 6th century BC, is thought by many modern historians to have been a reformer of the polytheistic Iranian religion who lived in the 10th century BC.[35] Zoroastrianism as a religion was not firmly established until several centuries later. Zoroastrianism enters recorded history in the mid-5th century BCE. Herodotus' The Histories (completed c. 440 BCE) includes a description of Greater Iranian society with what may be recognizably Zoroastrian features, including exposure of the dead.
                            Originally posted by Zoroastrianism on Wikipedia
                            The Histories is a primary source of information on the early period of the Achaemenid era(648–330 BCE), in particular with respect to the role of the Magi. According to Herodotus i.101, the Magi were the sixth tribe of the Medians (until the unification of the Persian empire under Cyrus the Great, all Iranians were referred to as "Mede" or "Mada" by the peoples of the Ancient World), who appear to have been the priestly caste of the Mesopotamian-influenced branch of Zoroastrianism today known as Zurvanism, and who wielded considerable influence at the courts of the Median emperors.

                            The Zoroastrian Achaemenid Empire at its greatest extent was the largest ancient empire in recorded history at 8.0 million km2(480 BCE).[36]

                            Following the unification of the Median and Persian empires in 550 BCE, Cyrus the Great and, later, his son Cambyses II curtailed the powers of the Magi after they had attempted to sow dissent following their loss of influence. In 522 BCE, the Magi revolted and set up a rival claimant to the throne. The usurper, pretending to be Cyrus' younger son Smerdis, took power shortly thereafter.[37] Owing to the despotic rule of Cambyses and his long absence in Egypt, "the whole people, Persians, Medes and all the other nations" acknowledged the usurper, especially as he granted a remission of taxes for three years (Herodotus iii. 68).


                            Maybe a Panscryptia cult could start at Magi revolt in 522 BCE, when mages understood they must defend their lore and secrets from Sleepers influances? Or when in 550 the sow dissent in society - it seams as thing Pancryptias for fathers would do. It also would give nice headway of 2 centuries for the Order from Keepers in spreading in Hellenistic world.

                            Linked map also made very possible to Panscrypties joining with similar cults in India, as Persian Empire was so close to it.

                            Originally posted by Zoroastrianism on Wikipedia
                            According to later Zoroastrian legend (Denkard and the Book of Arda Viraf), many sacred texts were lost when Alexander the Great's troops invaded Persepolis and subsequently destroyed the royal library there. Diodorus Siculus's Bibliotheca historica, which was completed circa 60 BCE, appears to substantiate this Zoroastrian legend (Diod. 17.72.2–17.72.6). According to one archaeological examination, the ruins of the palace of Xerxes bear traces of having been burned (Stolze, 1882). Whether a vast collection of (semi-)religious texts "written on parchment in gold ink", as suggested by the Denkard, actually existed remains a matter of speculation, but is unlikely. Given that many of the Denkards statements-as-fact have since been refuted among scholars, the tale of the library is widely accepted to be fictional (Kellens, 2002).

                            This event would also mark start of nice Pancrypties and Keepers of Word fued, if first where realated to Zoroastrianism cults and second would Alexanders succecors from Library of Alexandria. Keepers could replay that was their fathers doing, not their, but for Pancrypties it would only point their foolishness in beliving that Sleepers will not turn against them.


                            My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                            LGBT+ through Ages
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Supposedly the Library was founded by a pupil of Aristotle.
                              Yes, it was - I even made it in first versions of Timeline as original point of creation ( wrongly assessed ) Pancrypties. Warning: Outdated version of gameline events!

                              Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                              297- 283 BCE: Demetrius of Phalerum, Athenian orator, student of Theophrastus and Aristotel, is banished from his homeland after ten years of governing Athens and living Thebes behind him, comes to the court of Alexandria. Under the rule of Ptolemy I Soter he creates Library of Alexandria. Even if he probably were not the sorcerer, his students and colleges were - and they all created Gnostikon Darshana cult of preserving all knowledge. Even after the exile of Demetrius by the Ptolemy II, cult inside the Library thrive. This group would call itself Pancryptiates and created first in known Atheneum in Great Library of Alexandria. In years to come, Pancrypties would spread on all former Alexandrian Empire, by the trade of books it copied and preserved. ( Fan, based on Mysterium )
                              It still does not change fact that various students of Aristotel could made two different cults - one under their mentor, in his own school, and one after one of his students rethink some things and started Library of Alexandria in Egypt.

                              Originally posted by Zooroos View Post
                              I personally think you are hanging too much around Aristotle as a jumpstart point for the birth of both Keepers and Pancryptiates. The Hellenistic period and the Diamond Orders were not the product of Aristotle ideas, but of Alexander conquests. The birth of the Orders as a trans regional phenomenon was not probably a linear process either, but a convergent one, at least until Rome achieves enough territorial power.
                              When first coming on subject those almost 2 years ago I was hanged on idea to mark Plato's ( by Aristotel ) influences on mages, after the Fallen World Chronicles spoilers on Lie. I think I can loose it now, with even Keepers of Word taking some lessons from the student of Aristotel only – it will be enough for creation of Diamond century later, when those ideas will mix in one fifth of alliance.

                              Originally posted by Zooroos View Post
                              The way I see it, the free movement of individuals between formerly isolated countries and the exchange of ideas and magical philosophies meant a huge cultural threat to the Great Cults, which started to lose relevance (after all, what use there is for myth when that doesn't help you understand your neighbours?) and each Darshana slowly replaced them as the go-to institution for learning and political organization. The transversality of Darshanas becomes an asset in an increasingly interconnected world, and most of the teaching and mystical roles becomes subsumed into their organization, leaving the Great Cults as merely regional tribunals, that is, the seeds of modern Consilia around the Classical world.
                              Darshanas are not proper ‘factions’ – they are more like pattern. You take dozen of cults around the world and at least 3 of them will be based on ‘warrior ethos’, 4 will be based on ‘Ladder of Hierarchy’ and a like. Each Darshana cult is cult on itself – they just strangely have very common elements, if seeing past cultural differences. Common factions are only Orders, when they spread as one supercult across Empires.
                              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 10-26-2016, 03:33 PM.


                              My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                              LGBT+ through Ages
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Thinking on 2E take from Dark Eras marks second cult to be filled with Persian and Indian mages, so I doubt it would started as from Aristotel School cult. But my knowledge of Kaprani related tradition is very low and I do not have who and where could start Pancrypties cult as extreme gnostics from those kingdoms. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Karol/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.png[/IMG]

                                I suppose that great influence would be Zoroastrianism, with it's duality on virtuos Ahura Mazda and chaotic Angra Mainyu. I believe that Pancrypties as Darshana cult would equal Angra Mainyu with Fallen World and that 'chaos' want to devour ‘Supernal’ world, and they need to get there, to Ahura Mazda, in flesh ( or so to speak ).

                                But when I read more on this religion on Wikipedia, I come to realization there are very interesting threads that can be used for Pancrypties background. Here are some excerpts from article:



                                Originally posted by Zoroastrianism on Wikipedia
                                The roots of Zoroastrianism are thought to have emerged from a common prehistoric Indo-Iranian religious system dating back to the early 2nd millennium BCE.[34] The prophet Zoroaster himself, though traditionally dated to the 6th century BC, is thought by many modern historians to have been a reformer of the polytheistic Iranian religion who lived in the 10th century BC.[35] Zoroastrianism as a religion was not firmly established until several centuries later. Zoroastrianism enters recorded history in the mid-5th century BCE. Herodotus' The Histories (completed c. 440 BCE) includes a description of Greater Iranian society with what may be recognizably Zoroastrian features, including exposure of the dead.
                                The Histories is a primary source of information on the early period of the Achaemenid era(648–330 BCE), in particular with respect to the role of the Magi. According to Herodotus i.101, the Magi were the sixth tribe of the Medians (until the unification of the Persian empire under Cyrus the Great, all Iranians were referred to as "Mede" or "Mada" by the peoples of the Ancient World), who appear to have been the priestly caste of the Mesopotamian-influenced branch of Zoroastrianism today known as Zurvanism, and who wielded considerable influence at the courts of the Median emperors.
                                Following the unification of the Median and Persian empires in 550 BCE, Cyrus the Great and, later, his son Cambyses II curtailed the powers of the Magi after they had attempted to sow dissent following their loss of influence. In 522 BCE, the Magi revolted and set up a rival claimant to the throne. The usurper, pretending to be Cyrus' younger son Smerdis, took power shortly thereafter.[37] Owing to the despotic rule of Cambyses and his long absence in Egypt, "the whole people, Persians, Medes and all the other nations" acknowledged the usurper, especially as he granted a remission of taxes for three years (Herodotus iii. 68).
                                Maybe a Panscryptia cult could start at Magi revolt in 522 BCE, when mages understood they must defend their lore and secrets from Sleepers influances? Or when in 550 the sow dissent in society - it seams as thing Pancryptias for fathers would do. It also would give nice headway of 2 centuries for the Order from Keepers in spreading in Hellenistic world.

                                Linked map in article also made very possible to Panscrypties joining with similar cults in India, as Persian Empire was so close to it.
                                Originally posted by Zoroastrianism on Wikipedia
                                According to later Zoroastrian legend (Denkard and the Book of Arda Viraf), many sacred texts were lost when Alexander the Great's troops invaded Persepolis and subsequently destroyed the royal library there. Diodorus Siculus's Bibliotheca historica, which was completed circa 60 BCE, appears to substantiate this Zoroastrian legend (Diod. 17.72.2–17.72.6). According to one archaeological examination, the ruins of the palace of Xerxes bear traces of having been burned (Stolze, 1882). Whether a vast collection of (semi-)religious texts "written on parchment in gold ink", as suggested by the Denkard, actually existed remains a matter of speculation, but is unlikely. Given that many of the Denkards statements-as-fact have since been refuted among scholars, the tale of the library is widely accepted to be fictional (Kellens, 2002).
                                This event would also mark start of nice Pancrypties and Keepers of Word feud, if first where related to Zoroastrianism cults and second would Alexanders successors from Library of Alexandria. Keepers could replay that was their fathers doing, not their, but for Pancrypties it would only point their foolishness in believing that Sleepers will not turn against them.


                                My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                                LGBT+ through Ages
                                LGBT+ in CoD games

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X