2e Mage: Why should I buy/play it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackalopeVegas View Post
    It could be argued that the Supernal Realms were a discovered part of the Twilight (Umbra in cWoD).
    It could be, the same way it could be argued that the earth is secretly run by lizard people.

Originally posted by JackalopeVegas
    What clinches this theory is the removal of Atlantis, which was not in Ascension.
    I can only imagine what your expression is going to be when you come to the book's appendix.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (updated 02/03)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
      Down & Dirty Spellcasting will either make me buy this game or write off MtAw for good. I'm a little bummed that we didn't get to see it in the Open Development.
      Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Well, 2nd Ed confirmed for a day 1 purchase for me now.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
      On the Chronicles of Darkness Slack Team. PM me for invitation
      Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings

Comment

Yeah. That's a thing. The full spellcasting system is flexible and broad, but sometimes you don't want to figure out all your spell factors and yantras. Sometimes you just want to go "I'm an adept of Matter. I open the damn lock."

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
          Yeah. That's a thing. The full spellcasting system is flexible and broad, but sometimes you don't want to figure out all your spell factors and yantras. Sometimes you just want to go "I'm an adept of Matter. I open the damn lock."
          But how's it going to be different from Creative Thaumaturgy? Especially since we're already ditching the Vulgar/Covert business (which I love, btw).

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
          On the Chronicles of Darkness Slack Team. PM me for invitation
          Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings

Comment

Originally posted by JackalopeVegas View Post
            Given from what I read so far on this Forum, I got the feeling that instead of delving away from Ascension, that Awakening is an Earth 2 version of Ascension. It could be argued that the Supernal Realms were a discovered part of the Twilight (Umbra in cWoD). The Free Council is a version of the Society of Ether and the Virtual Adepts who abandoned the Technocracy (Seers in nWoD) and decided that the Traditions were too elitist for their tastes. And what is an Avatar, but a Supernal creature, from a Supernal Verge, who has taken an interest in a Mage's magical development. What clinches this theory is the removal of Atlantis, which was not in Ascension. It may not be exact, but it's the impression that I got.
            Jesus Christ, are we really back to this shit.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
            Working on:The Hedge
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Kino's Journey

Comment

Yeah, let's not go there.

Ian A. A. Watson
              Onyx Path Community Manager
              Trinity Continuum Lead Developer

Comment

The same than the 1e...BUT 56% MORE AWESOME !

Comment

Originally posted by BigDamnHero View Post

But how's it going to be different from Creative Thaumaturgy? Especially since we're already ditching the Vulgar/Covert business (which I love, btw).
                  See how Down and Dirty Combat differs from the main combat rules? Like that.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

Originally posted by BigDamnHero
                    But how's it going to be different from Creative Thaumaturgy?
                    Creative Thaumaturgy is probably still going to be about making up your own effects. Down and Dirty Casting sounds like it will be more about streamlining the process of things that should be logically trivial for certain characters.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (updated 02/03)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                      Does this mean Down & Dirty spellcasting is in part for situations where the possibility of major Paradox is pretty much non-existent since you've got more Reach than LeBron James? In other words, do players use Down & Dirty casting more and more for minor effects as their characters gain experience?

Comment

One thing I found Mage does well is setting up inspiration for a good cosmology. If for nothing else Mage can give you a lot of ideas for other settings or hell other games. I don't like playing Mage, but I got the first edition book so I'd have more resources to work with in my homebrewed unified world. I can't tell you that 2e will do sicne I don't have it yet but if 1e is any indication then it could be worth looking over.

P.S yes I know this is an old thread and I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Jub-Jub View Post
                          One thing I found Mage does well is setting up inspiration for a good cosmology. If for nothing else Mage can give you a lot of ideas for other settings or hell other games. I don't like playing Mage, but I got the first edition book so I'd have more resources to work with in my homebrewed unified world. I can't tell you that 2e will do sicne I don't have it yet but if 1e is any indication then it could be worth looking over.

P.S yes I know this is an old thread and I don't care.
                          The section on all the different examples of Emanation Realms in 2E is really great.

Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
                          Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat; Mortal Sekhem Sorcerers

Comment

Working...
                          X