No announcement yet.

Art of Witch Hunting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I see that now, but it really wasn't clear then.

Comment

As currently written, mortals would have an extraordinarily difficult time overtly threatening Mages, even with some access to supernatural powers.

Giving a Mage warning that you're going after them is a very foolhardy action, you're giving them time to prepare and deal with you often in ways that you can't even detect. If you threaten a Mage on Wednesday and get hit by a car in a random traffic accident on Thursday was it just bad luck or a Fate curse? If you fall sick on the Friday was it a Life spell or are you just catching that same cold the bishop had last week? If on the Saturday you wake up from a dream that made you see things a different way and forgive the Mages was it just an epiphany or did someone change your thoughts with Mind?

Mortals can certainly harm Mages, but the absolute only way to do it is hard and fast, given them as little warning as possible and trying to catch them off guard.

Comment

On one latest Supernatural episodes was great idea of 'witch killing bullets' - it just remind me about my Mage Shield Breaker Endowment. Consecrate with this your bullets, bypass Awakened Mage Armor all together, and you have nice dead witches!

Thinking more on the topic of 'witch killing bullets' - There is no reason why Mage Armour bypassing Endowment cannot bypass also risen Defense. If Werewolves can have ability to use Defense in firearms, Conspiracies can have Endowment that bypass Defense in the first place, in the firearms combat also. ‚Äč

And I run with idea that any Conspiracy member with 'inner' Endowment on him, is treated as Sleepwalker in the first place - that means that fully initiated Knights of Saint George, Malleus Maleficarum and Lucifuge are all treated Sleepwalkers for Supernal Magic. Still, Conspiracy use not fully initiated members ( those without special Endowments ) as 'Sleepers Cannon Folder' - best cell tactics is to have mixed party with high ranking 'Endowment casting' leader and few 'ground level' Sleeper hunters. Automatic and rising Paradox in combat quickly make Awakened sweat.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
        My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

About theme of the topic: there is no reliable mundane way to fight mages as a whole. Fighting the sole mage is possible, if you have extensive intel on him and you have an mundane edge on him. Fighting a cabal is almost always a suicide, because those don't have many weaknesses, usually paranoid enough to keep themselves safe from spying and usually have contingencies for the sudden attack, magical or mundane. Mages exist in the world, full of enemies and dangers - Seers, Banishers, Scelesti, hostile spirits, etc. Mundanes are the least of their worries, but most contingencies would work against them too.

About spellcasting penalies: I think that every Condition and Tilt which makes it hard to concentrate and think straight can and should give spellcasting penalties. So pain, shock, lack of sleep, food and water, being drunk or drugged - all of those should give different spellcasting penalites. It's only fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
            About spellcasting penalies: I think that every Condition and Tilt which makes it hard to concentrate and think straight can and should give spellcasting penalties. So pain, shock, lack of sleep, food and water, being drunk or drugged - all of those should give different spellcasting penalites. It's only fair.
            Magic isn't fair. I don't necessarily disagree that these things might cause penalties (though no more than they would to anyone else), but I really want to emphasize that Magic isn't fair. It's pretty much like using a bunch of cheat codes in a video game in which your opponent doesn't know how to. It gives a decisive advantage, and while skill still plays a part, the advantage is still almost always going to go to the one with Magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashenrogue View Post
              Magic isn't fair. I don't necessarily disagree that these things might cause penalties (though no more than they would to anyone else), but I really want to emphasize that Magic isn't fair. It's pretty much like using a bunch of cheat codes in a video game in which your opponent doesn't know how to. It gives a decisive advantage, and while skill still plays a part, the advantage is still almost always going to go to the one with Magic.
              Okay, replace word "fair" with "logical". If magic is product of your thoughts (namely ability to imagine Imago), then everything that interferes with your ability to think is going to interfer with your ability to do magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
                Okay, replace word "fair" with "logical". If magic is product of your thoughts (namely ability to imagine Imago), then everything that interferes with your ability to think is going to interfer with your ability to do magic.
                I agree, though generally any affliction dire enough to interfere with your casting will already either not let you act at all (Insensate, Stunned, etc.) or already applies a negative on just about everything, casting included (Wound Penalties).

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                  And I run with idea that any Conspiracy member with 'inner' Endowment on him, is treated as Sleepwalker in the first place - that means that fully initiated Knights of Saint George, Malleus Maleficarum and Lucifuge are all treated Sleepwalkers for Supernal Magic. Still, Conspiracy use not fully initiated members ( those without special Endowments ) as 'Sleepers Cannon Folder' - best cell tactics is to have mixed party with high ranking 'Endowment casting' leader and few 'ground level' Sleeper hunters. Automatic and rising Paradox in combat quickly make Awakened sweat.
                  I was thinking something like this, for some reason imagining a nun of some sort.

You could easily justify some Deep Sleeper Merit that forced a +2 to Paradox, or based it off Gnosis the way Reach does rather than just the standard +1.
                  Last edited by nofather; 03-13-2017, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X