Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why join the Mysterium when Egregore members have a magical gun pointed at your head

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why join the Mysterium when Egregore members have a magical gun pointed at your head

So I reread the Orders open dev, and I thought that Egregore sounded pretty cool. Like, I'd totally play a mage named Oracle based off of Barbara Gordon. Being part of a cool magical, scholarly hivemind sounds awesome.

My more Mage-knowledgable friend sucked the wind out of my sails though:

"What's the great good that would be worth the risk? I don't see the non-evil benefit of it, that couldn't be provided by just handing them some hair. Mostly it just lets them cast long range buffs."

Speaking specifically of the 5-dot advantage of Egregore: "at five dots he has an intimate sympathetic connection to all members of the Order while he is within an Order Sanctum (although he still has the penalty if he doesn’t know the name of someone he’s affecting.)"

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
    Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings

You're saying that the magical gun being pointed at your head is the Intimate Sympathetic connection?

Comment

Sympathetic connections are not two-way. The Egregore has an Intimate connection to all members of the Order. They don't have one to him.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
        Sympathetic connections are not two-way. The Egregore has an Intimate connection to all members of the Order. They don't have one to him.
        Yes, that's the problem.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
        Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings

Comment

It's not anymore of a risk than the Intimate Sympathetic connection you share with all members of your legacy. Its not just a gun, there are clear benefits. For instance that's the level at which you can teleport to or communicate with other members almost with out restriction. Also if they open a Sympathetic connection to you with intent to fire then you can fire back since it goes both ways. There are risks, sure but they're outweighed by the benefits, in this case being able to call on the entire Mysterium from home.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
            I seem to remember that in 1e core if you opened a Sympathetic link to someone else then it was possible for them to use it at that time to send effects back at you. I don't think they even needed to know Space, or just Space 1 if they were going through your scrying window.

Is that changing in 2e?

Plus in that case, join the Mysterium to join the Egregore. If you play your cards right you'll be the guy near the top of the heap and with a gun.

Comment

The big benefit I can see is internal security. The order with the massive archives needs to know who's a legitimate member and who isn't.

That said, it'd be interesting to know what happens when two factions of the Mysterium come into conflict, or what happens if someone leaves or just goes inactive.

Comment

I return a little wiser! I had no idea that you suffer your Sympathetic connection penalty to the target while using his open Sympathetic link. My group has always played with it being an even two way street which made Sympathetic casting pretty hazardous. I think we've just been reading it wrong instead of house ruling though so this could cause a serious change in gameplay dynamics, I dunno.

Anyways, yeah I agree with Michael, it's probably used mostly for internal security, and I stand by what I said earlier about the fact that you can just join the Egregore and eventually enjoy the same benefits. The Mysterium runs on Guang Xi so it's not likely to be used as a threat unless you seriously piss someone off.

Comment

Joining the Mysterium gives you access to rotes, artifacts, imbued items, political influence and a world-spanning network of scholars dedicated to preserving rare knowledge.

Ignoring the context in which the mechanics exist and depend on each other inevitably leads to an extremely shallow - if not outright misleading - understanding of how they work.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                  [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                  [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Joining the Silver Ladder, Adamantine Arrow, Guardians of the Veil, or Free Council gives you access to rotes, artifacts, imbued items, political influence, and a world-spanning network of magical scholars dedicated to gathering knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
                      Joining the Silver Ladder, Adamantine Arrow, Guardians of the Veil, or Free Council gives you access to rotes, artifacts, imbued items, political influence, and a world-spanning network of magical scholars dedicated to gathering knowledge.
                      Yeah, but the others have all kinds of extraneous stuff stapled on. The Mysterium are the only ones focusing on the things that really matter. /Mystagogue

Revlid wrote:
                      Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

The Guanxi system and various spiritual beliefs mean that mystagogues are heavily incentivized to not arbitrarily fuck one another over. If you do that, you'll sever yourself from the network of trust and good credit that lets you have expansive access to the resources of your fellows. Besides, an Intimate connection is hardly an insurmountable danger; invest in a damn Ward.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post

But the Mysterium has all the best (and most) toys . . .

Comment

Plus, the Mysterium don't strike me as particularly violent unless you're in the way of them learning a particularly juicy piece of information.

You aren't holding out on your brother/sister mages, are you?

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Working...
                            X