Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston Unveiled: What have you done with it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Did you know that there are NO walled estates anywhere in Boston....while all Sanctums are located in walled estates in the BU book?)
    I've noticed that, the book was clearly written before easily accessed aerial maps. You see it in the demo too.

To be fair though, only two are actually in Boston itself that I remember.

I gave the Putnams the Church Court building on Beacon St. It's a burned down church that got refitted for condos. It looks cool, and it seems the closest you'll get to having a walled green.

The Academy I just moved to the Athenaeum and had the Order of the Gryphon work out of a mausoleum in the cemetery directly behind it. That has the downside of being a bit of a tourist spot, but I just said that sleepers didn't notice it for some reason... Honestly that worked pretty well.

Comment

Wow necromancy. Shoulda just made a new thread?

On the topic of the secret concord, I never did get my head round it and my players didn't care so it was quickly forgotten. Don't hold your breath if you want to know for sure what it is.
      Last edited by totalgit; 01-16-2020, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I've noticed that, the book was clearly written before easily accessed aerial maps. You see it in the demo too.

To be fair though, only two are actually in Boston itself that I remember.

I gave the Putnams the Church Court building on Beacon St. It's a burned down church that got refitted for condos. It looks cool, and it seems the closest you'll get to having a walled green.
        I chose 398 Beacon St. for the Putnams.
        https://goo.gl/maps/ztq84o2dtxygbzyX9
        I just couldn't find something in that region that wasn't a small house.sharing walls with other houses...
        Where exactly is the Church you meantioned?

The Academy I just moved to the Athenaeum and had the Order of the Gryphon work out of a mausoleum in the cemetery directly behind it.
        I put both into "Bowdoin School Apartmens" as it noted in the discription that they have a Cover operation going on as an elite school.
        And as there are no real Mannors in Boston there is not much to choose from.

That has the downside of being a bit of a tourist spot, but I just said that sleepers didn't notice it for some reason... Honestly that worked pretty well.
        The only place I'm realy proud to have found that fit's the dsicription is the Fortress(SMG)
        https://goo.gl/maps/AF7uy8A8qTixXeZv7
        Last edited by QuickAndDirty; 01-16-2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by totalgit View Post
          Wow necromancy.
          The thread wasn't dead, he was just having a long slumber. just like Rosebud.

Shoulda just made a new thread?
          Well, why duplicate the topic?
          Give me a 2nd edition Version of a mage chronicle with a plot that allows to have an entire group of characters awaken at the same time and I will write in a threat about that resource.
          There need to be way more beginner friendly ready to play city books. Who cares about the gimicks? It's about cool scenarios. More scenarios would be realy important to grow the player base.
          They should all be realy cross over friendly!

On the topic of the secret concord, I never did get my head round it and my players didn't care so it was quickly forgotten. Don't hold your breath if you want to know for sure what it is.
          The word "Konkordat" allready carries a historic weight with it. If I ever name this conspiracy or treaty "Geheimkonkordat" the players will want to know whats behind it. Also it's nature looks like to be realy similar to the Reichskonkordat just with a secret party...
          If I don't want to have this road pursued, I would have to make up something else...
          I think the best thing would be to have the Noose and the Putnams beeing on the edge allready, just short of breaking up and neutralizing both their powers in open conflict as a result. Also this way I could give the Seers and the Angels more spotlight.

I will add a Tong lead by a Scellesti for chinatown. In order to present the Chinese Banishers and the PC an oportunity to cooperate and overcome the differences.
          Last edited by QuickAndDirty; 01-16-2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QuickAndDirty View Post
            Where exactly is the Church you meantioned?
            It's on the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Beacon St.

I put both into "Bowdoin School Apartmens" as it noted in the discription that they have a Cover operation going on as an elite school.
            And as there are no real Mannors in Boston there is not much to choose from.
            That's pretty reasonable.

The only place I'm realy proud to have found that fit's the dsicription is the Fortress(SMG)
            Yeah, that's great. Wish I hadn't already established it as a few blocks inland of the river.

Comment

It's on the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Beacon St.
              I took that suggestion
              Thanx

Also under what Arcana's purview do the following criters or objects fall?
              -sleeping Vampire(death? matter? or both?)
              -walking Vampire(death? matter? life? or all 3?)
              -blush of life Vampire(death? matter? life? or both?)

-a warm body (death? matter? life?)
              -a cold body (death? matter? life?)
              -a Schnitzel (death? matter? life?)
              -a blood in a bloodbag (death? matter? life?)

-a Strix(spirit? death? life? or all 3?)
              -a Werewolf(spirit? life? or both?)
              -Demon/Angel (Prime? Spirit? Life? Mind?)
              -Demonenblooded (Life? or more?)

I need to know that as I intend to have them appeat in the chronicle.
              Last edited by QuickAndDirty; 01-21-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I took that suggestion
                Thanx

-sleeping Vampire(death? matter? or both?)
                -walking Vampire(death? matter? life? or all 3?)
                -blush of life Vampire(death? matter? life? or both?)

-a warm body (death? matter? life?)
                -a cold body (death? matter? life?)
                -a Schnitzel (death? matter? life?)
                -a blood in a bloodbag (death? matter? life?)

-a Strix(spirit? death? life? or all 3?)
                -a Werewolf(spirit? life? or both?)
                -Demon/Angel (Prime? Spirit? Life? Mind?)
                -Demonenblooded (Life? or more?)

I need to know that as I intend to have them appeat in the chronicle.
                Vampires fall under Death in general, though their specific template powers, Disciplines and other stuff might not. Typically, to figure out what something falls under you look at its end result. A vampire is a walking talking corpse, and while other arcana might be able to do something with those, Death will be the main go to.

A corpse in general will be Death, it’s a dead thing.

A schnitzel funnily enough could be Life, because food falls under the purview of Life.

Blood is probably also going to be Life unless it’s useless for living things. The Tamers of Blood are a Space/Life legacy for example.

Strix are probably Death oriented.

Werewolves have been officially said to be Spirit and Life.

Angels and Demons are Prime and Fate.

Not sure on demon blooded, but they’re probably just Life, while their powers probably fall under Prime and Fate.

Comment

Things generally doesn't fall neatly under specific Arcana. Mind can affect most of those examples because they are thinking beings. Forces can technically affect all of them by changing their temperatures.
                  As Mrmdubois says, you've gotta look to the specific effects in order to figure out what Arcana are relevant.

Manipulating the body of a vampire is generally Death because they are dead. A vampire who uses Blush of Life doesn't stop being dead so still generally Death, but messing with the biological functions that Blush of Life has activated would be Life, because biological functions fall under Life.
                  Strix are shadows with a connection to death so definitely Death to affect them physically.

Werewolves are human/spirit hybrids (extremely gross simplification), but the question is to what degree that is so. Going according to the sidebar for Mage Sight, werewolves are partially spirits on a physical level so affecting their bodies should require Life+Spirit. (Whether it be equal parts Life and Spirit, or if it's enough to just include Spirit at one or two dots, is up to the ST to decide.) Interfering with their powers, however, is just Spirit.

Mages can use Fate+Prime to interact with the God-Machine (i.e. Infrastructure on a metaphysical level) and in extension probably also angels similar to how Spirit deals with spirits or Death deals with ghosts. Demons, on the other hand, are transformed into a new form and should require Life and/or Matter (depending on their physical makeup and whether they're in a Cover or not) to affect physically. I would personally forgo Fate and Prime unless you're casting a spell that interacts with a part of the demon template that would be governed by them. For example, Fate would be able to change or possibly even break a Pact that the demon hadn't cashed in.

Just remember that direct template modification is beyond the scope of normal magic. You can always interfere with the results of another supernatural's powers (provided you win the Clash of Wills roll), but you can't outright remove or change how they work.
                  Last edited by Tessie; 01-21-2020, 02:08 PM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                    A schnitzel funnily enough could be Life, because food falls under the purview of Life.
                    But a Schnitzel is a part of a dead body isn't it?
                    Thanx

Comment

But a Schnitzel is a part of a dead body isn't it?
                      Thanx
                      As long as it's uncooked you could probably also cast Death spells on the part of it that's just dead meat, provided the spell does something to dead meat.

Again, I want to emphasise that nothing falls neatly under a single Arcanum. That Schnitzel can be affected by certain spells from all ten Arcana. It really depends on what you want to do with it.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Sorry if this was asked but, what books does the Nemean show up in in meaningful fashion so I can catch up on this character? Im very sorry for asking but I dont have much time or resources to solve this myself so itd be a biiig help!

Comment

Everything about Boston, including Nemean, are in the appendix of first edition core or in Boston Unveiled.

Comment

I used Boston Unveiled mostly for it's history. My game is set there in the 1920s, a few years after the destruction of the Stone Assembly. With the war between the Emerald Scroll and Libertines as a back drop. The players Cabal is trying to find the Stone Assembly's Atheneum.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
                              Sorry if this was asked but, what books does the Nemean show up in in meaningful fashion so I can catch up on this character? Im very sorry for asking but I dont have much time or resources to solve this myself so itd be a biiig help!
                              Boston Unveiled, and then the timeline essentially runs "Prologue: Censorious" (opening fiction of The Mysterium), "The Cage is the Lion's Heart" (opening fiction of Silver Ladder), "The Veil, Nothing More" (opening fiction of Left-Hand Path), culminating in "The Unmurdered Man" in the Fallen World Fiction Anthology.

Resident Lore-Hound
                              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

So who do you think was the third signatory of the Secret Compact? My guess is the Seers and the Compact was a collaboration to take down the Stone Assembly.

Comment

Working...
                                X