Assasin's Creed series as Mage: the Awakening chronicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assasin's Creed series as Mage: the Awakening chronicle

I think I'm not the only one that clearly see parallels between video games setting and Mage game world, isn't it? We have Assasins Order that want's to free humanity from oppresion and led it to it's individuality. But also Templar Order that want's power for themselves to make world safer place for every one. Two sides compete to get ancient technolgy artifacts made by First Civiliation that can make impossible things. And to achive it, they build machine to re-live pervious reincarnations of modern people.

Comparison is rather obvoius here. I will show my take and maybe you could expande it.

Assasins Brotherhood - truly mixture of Free Council and Guradians of the Veil mages and they supporting Sleepwalkers or Sleepers brothers and sisters. On first sight they look like Free Council with all "we must destroy servants of the Lie", revoltionary driving and they foundness for technology. But looking at they methodes closely, and they apprecation for secret societies Labyrinth-like networking, Guardians are more suitable selection. In the end I would say that Assasins Brotherhood is ancient Labyrinth front, with a bit drift to the Libertines ideas. For Christe sake, they were major force for American Revolution! So when historiclly it was run by Guradians of the Veil from ancient times, after XIX century rebelions and formation of it in 1900, they also recrut mages from Free Council. It's very rare instance in which Guardians and Libertines cooporate on same project. But they are united againts common enemy...

Templar Order - started as one of many Iron Seal of Father's cults, this grow as one of strongest Methodologies now, counting members from all Ministries. Officially still supporting Father as most important Exarch in they rites, truly this world spanning group is dedicated only to power, uncovering First Civilisation artifacts and "making world safter place". They are found of introducing Sleepers and Sleepwalkers in to their ranks, to have more and more power in society. But local inner center is always composed of Awakened loyal to Order. If Seers nature wouldn't to be egocentric and they would be more open, this single group could run whole of "Exarch's Order". And they are sworn enemies to Assasins Brotherhood.

I only need the spell for remembering ones previous lives, and we have backdrop for large in-setting game.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 06-25-2014, 03:04 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

I'd just use the two to give ideas about how the orders function over time. Rather than have the Templars be a sub-division of the Seers, I'd just have the Templars be the Seers.

For Christe sake, they were major force for American Revolution!
    Nothing says the Guardians have to be pro-British Empire. Overthrowing a weak political structure is perfectly acceptable.

Comment

Keep this up.... keep this up. I will be putting the Assassin's and Templars in my WoD.

My Homebrew
      Star Wars d10
      The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
      Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Comment

I actually have something from the old Forums. I think Claire Redfield made it;
        Eagle Vision (•••)
        Humans have long held potential few understood and fewer still could realize. Much of this potential comes in the form ofknowing, and beholding aspects of reality to which others are blind. Animals sometimes have this ability to perceive things beyond what the mundane senses can convey. Witness how animals flee an area before an earthquake, a tidal wave, a terrible storm. There are lineages of humans who manage to tap into this sensory ability and see beyond what meets the eye.

At its most basic level, Eagle Vision heightens the user's senses (despite its name, it is not limited to sight alone), granting a +1 to perception rolls. More potent is the ability to see the threads which connect people, places and objects. This allows them to pick out enemies or allies in a crowd and see those for whom the weight of destiny is greater than their fellows.

As an extended action (one turn per roll), the character may make a perception roll using Wits + Empathy (instead of Wits + Composure), which gains the perception bonus listed above, and scrutinize a person, place or object within sensory range. The amount of successes gained determines the amount of information gleaned from Eagle Vision. Successes can be accumulated over multiple turns. Note that an Assassin can use this ability on groups of people, but can only receive the information described at the one success level below. Any persons of interest will require more specific scrutiny to discern more information.

See Mage: the Awakening, "Sympathetic Range," p. 114, for details on what each level of connection means.

1 success: The viewer can identify Unknown and Described connections between people and/or things. A person of interest to the Assassin appears with a hazy gold aura surrounding them; further levels of success are needed to tell the viewer more about a target's intentions. However, only one success is needed to identify a previously scrutinized subject.
        2 successes: The user can identify Encountered connections between people and/or things. She can also read an individual's dots (if any) in the Destiny Merit, getting a sense for the powerful fate awaiting a person. People or objects containing information sought by the Assassin can be identified by the gold aura surrounding them giving way to a white aura.
        3 successes: The Assassin can identify Acquainted connections between people and/or things. She can also detect supernatural mind control, spiritual possession or alterations of destiny.
        4 successes: At this level of scrutiny, the user can identify Known connections between people and/or things. She can also detect indirect supernatural mind control, spiritual possession or alterations of destiny.
        5 successes: The user can identify Intimate connections between people and/or things. She can also detect interconnections of destiny, such as if one person viewed (or depicted nearby) is destined to be the mentor or apprentice of another person viewed or depicted—or is destined to be his murderer.

With 5 successes, the user can also see whether a target is an ally or enemy, assuming she would have any way of entering a situation in which the target could become either ally or enemy. Allies are shrouded in a blue aura, while enemies are aglow with red. If the person one views is disguised, such as an enemy attempting to ambush the Assassin, the perception roll becomes contested against the target's disguise roll successes.

If the target has any form of supernatural occlusion (such as the Occultation Merit) that would hinder the Eagle Visions, the viewer's dice pool is modified by the dots or Potency of that protection.

Eagle Sense (•••••)
        The Eagle Vision is described by many as feeling akin to opening one's eyes for the first time after birth. It is an awakening to the world around one, and the threads of destiny that weave together all of creation. Mastering such powerful senses leads still to further revelations, even the ability to see beyond the veil of time. These incredibly powerful senses grant the user a +3 bonus on all perception rolls, including those made to use Eagle Sense abilities.

Eagle Sense allows the user to view a target's path through the timestream, granting knowledge of where the target has been or where he might go in the immediate future. Both uses of the ability require an instant action Wits + Empathy perception roll, which enjoys the +3 bonus. This roll is modified by temporal sympathy (see p. 259 of Mage: the Awakening) and supernatural occlusion. If the target is or was disguised or being stealthy, the viewer's successes must equal or exceed the target's stealth successes.

If looking into the target's past, she can see where the target has been, viewing one turn at a time in real time. With an exceptional success, she can even view one minute of the target's history per turn of scrutiny. She can only view the target's trip backward through time, though people or objects with which the target interacts appear as hazy, ghost-like figures.

If looking forward, each success allows the Assassin to ask one question about the target's future and get an answer. Additional successes allow follow-up questions, allowing the viewer to get more specific details. Each questions may only seek information about a target's actions up to ten seconds in the future, though successes stack for determining how far ahead one may look.

My Homebrew
        Star Wars d10
        The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
        Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I'd just use the two to give ideas about how the orders function over time. Rather than have the Templars be a sub-division of the Seers, I'd just have the Templars be the Seers.
          There is problem with that. First, Templars show specific interpretation of Seer's ruling vision - it's called New World Order. It's ideology goes in straight clash with ideas of Ministries such as Pretorian or possibly Ruin cults. Templars want to guide humanity to world of peace, not of constant conflict.

Originally posted by Assassin's Creed Wikia
          The New World Order was the ultimate goal for the Templar Order, a concept of worldwide peace for humanity under the control and supervision of the Templars. For centuries, the Templars engaged in a secret war with the Assassins – who believed that humanity could attain peace using free will – in order to achieve the New World Order. When the Templars founded Abstergo Industries in 1937, the company managed to manipulate and puppeteer many important political figures to pursue their own goals.
          This is why I see this as Methodology - it highlights many of Seer's dogma, but makes some part of Seer's writeup irrelevant.

If you would want to be extremist, Templars would also work as replacement for Paternostern, as Templars are guided by the Father, works in both fiaths and scientific knowlegde obsscurity and want to reclaim lost knowlegde. Really, I'm torn now to just throw away Paternostern, and put Templars there, in Mage setting-wise. Paternostern is just ssssooooo bad writeup...

Nothing says the Guardians have to be pro-British Empire. Overthrowing a weak political structure is perfectly acceptable.
          I didn't know that Guardians of the Veil were such political affected. I didn't get this vibe from their Orderbook. Like that they would mingle in Sleeper's politics and make key figures assasinations. I always seen them as dedicated to magic's safty first...

Nonetheless, if truelly Assasins would be great Guardians as they are now, I would say they would be faction that could later join the newly formed Free Council. They want to kill Seer's ( i.e. Destroy followers of the Lie ), liberate human minds and protect individuality and human potential ( i.e. Humanity is magical ). So I would rather stick to workings of two Orders, even just for rare oportunity they would agree on something.
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-17-2014, 01:41 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

There is problem with that. First, Templars show specific interpretation of Seer's ruling vision - it's called New World Order. It's ideology goes in straight clash with ideas of Ministries such as Pretorian or possibly Ruin cults. Templars want to guide humanity to world of peace, not of constant conflict.
            You misunderstand me, I was saying I'd use the Templar/Assassins organisation as a guide to how the organisation of the orders might look, especially 3 where you see how a new Pylon gets created in North America. Personally I'd ditch their conflicting ideologies because they're either already present in the various Ministry philosophies or not very well thought out.
            The Abstergo Industries stuff in the present I'd file under the Skopoi methodology.

Paternostern is just ssssooooo bad writeup...
            I disagree completely. They had a great write-up.

I didn't know that Guardians of the Veil were such political affected. I didn't get this vibe from their Orderbook. Like that they would mingle in Sleeper's politics and make key figures assasinations. I always seen them as dedicated to magic's safty first...
            They probably are. That doesn't mean that's all they care about. Also bear in mind that the supporters of the American Revolution in AC3 are one man and his ageing mentor, and even then it's largely because he thinks that helping them will stop his village from being destroyed.

Comment

You misunderstand me, I was saying I'd use the Templar/Assassins organisation as a guide to how the organisation of the orders might look, especially 3 where you see how a new Pylon gets created in North America. Personally I'd ditch their conflicting ideologies because they're either already present in the various Ministry philosophies or not very well thought out.
              Of course the AC 3 Temple starting in America is great example of Pylon creation. But I wouldn't made Templar "all regular Seers" - they New World Order ideology is a bit fresh air in to Seer's reintepretation. That's why I'm more for Mythodology.

The Abstergo Industries stuff in the present I'd file under the Skopoi methodology.
              I'm disagree on this because clearly Templars are geting orders from higher-ups, just like Haytham Kenway were given orders to establish Grand Temple in Americas. It it isn't chain of command, I don't know what it is.

Originally posted by Seer's of Throne
              Lacking the personal communion with the Thrones of a Minister or tetrarch, a pylon of Skopoi (singular “Skopos”) must seek the wishes of their lords in dreams, visions, omens and the thousand divinatory methods of Sleeper occultism, which unusually are seen as more reliable than Supernal methods of divination such as the Time and Fate Arcana; The Exarchs are subtle in their communications and hide their wishes in the movement of the Fallen World, so the rituals of the Fallen World are best used to focus them and draw them toward the seeker.
              AC 4 show us that even Abstergo Entertaiment got orders to "dwell deeper in memories". Orders, not personal communion in dreams.

(About Paternoster) I disagree completely. They had a great write-up.
              They basiclly are "evil Catholic priests". Comparing to such diversive groups like "always on war soldiers, without true master" (Pretorian), "always scheming politician, without true ideology" ( Hegemony ) or "always watching spies and assasins" ( Panopticon ) it is fairy limiting, don't you think? Even Mammon Ministry is with it's "evil buisnessman" ideology is more open than Paternoster. Also, there is big illogical gap in Pentacle Orders analogy - you have basiclly Seer's versions of Adamantine Arrow ( needless war ), Silver Ladder ( undermined authority and unity ) or Guradians of Veil ( paranoia creating-watchers ). We also got mentioned of Free Council conterpart - technobsesive Seers of Pantechnicon. And then, on whole Mysterium's "Knowlegde is power" we got guys that do Hail Mary most of time when in need. It's... mismatched. Paternostern should be about "dogmats conquering the knowlegde", both religious and scientific - becuase that is the Mysterium way. Just like Pretorian is tainting concept of war Arrows fight, like Hegemony taints hierachy and politics Silver Ladder calls for, and like Panopticon defiles sacred duty of observation for Guardians. In that way Paternostern doesn't satisfy the needs for Great Ministry. This is why it's bad write-up.

They probably are. That doesn't mean that's all they care about. Also bear in mind that the supporters of the American Revolution in AC3 are one man and his ageing mentor, and even then it's largely because he thinks that helping them will stop his village from being destroyed.
              Okay, but many of Assasin's supported revolution and equality of people, two of main tents of Free Council. Not too mention Assasin's outside main series but Altair, Ratonhnhaké:ton and Aveline de Grandpré. Others from books and comics come to mind also, like Nikolai Orelov. I wouldn't say that Free Council is main component of Brotherhood, but it's members shown from time to time, to stir Assassin's on more revolutionary ways.
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-18-2014, 07:03 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I can't tell if AC reminds me of Awakening or Ascension more. Regardless, it's definitely a game that screams Mage at me, and I'm interested to see what you guys come up with.

Mage the Awakening 2e Communal Homebrew Threads:
                - Perils of the Path - Other homebrew threads linked in the OP!

Join us at the unofficial IRC channels on.irc.sorcery.net at #exalted and now #theonyxpath!

Comment

Okay, so are we agree that both Assasins Brotherhood and Templar Order are Sleepers cults controlled by Awakened? Or are they diffrent interpertations on this? If not, I could show you made by me Proximi Dynasty for whole Subject 16 family line...

LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Personally, I think the Assasin/Templar conflict is a tussle between Time archmasters who sent plans and a few examples of advanced technology and planted Proximi lines to fulfil their agendas with minimal interference by other invisible masters.

Comment

This is the Hashshashin's Dynasty, based on images from „Assasins Creed” and „Wanted”, than real group. They are made to fit perfectly as Thread -Cutters, as I see, most of legendary Assassins could be Guardians members of this Legacy.
                      Hashshashin

Historical Assassins where students of Hassan-i-Sabbah, freedom and peace fighters in Middle East. They where "Holy Killers", in their eyes, serving Allah. But it all is lie. The Batini, as they where called in Muslim world, weren't about the freedom – they where tools. Tools in way to cover the Mysteries. They where hands and blades of Guardians of Veil, trained to be loyal to the Order, and following they commands. As years passed, more and more, Assassins where viewing themselves as Watchmens of Destiny, deciding who need to be killed and who doesn't – they were the best product of Guardians ideology. They where doing what needed to be done, without even need the Guardians to tell them. They understand they place perfectly, and where perfect Blades, ideally working for Diamond Wheel. But it were till the end of Crusades.

With each passing year, each unresolved conflict in Holy Land, with each suffering of their people, Hashshashin where asking is it good to serve the Masked – are they right? What is more important – noble cause of stopping some wizards and occultists in they homeland or saving they dearest, they families, their country? At the seventh Crusade they say “no” and become independent – they little country around Almut where self-sufficient. They become rouge, lead only by they own Thread-Cutters masters of brotherhood. And they needed to be shown the lesson.

Only after 2 years, in 1256, they “Eagle Nest” was attacked. Mongol warlord Hulagu Khan took they main fortress at December 15. They Syrian branch was cut out in 1273. Even they test to overtake Almud in 1275 done not very much – they political and man power were lost, and they needed to accept what was unavoidable .

After destruction of Almut, Hashshashins spread on the world, taking they lesson in humble, and starting to redeem they mistakes, under banner of Guardians. They are Cursed in their own, self appointed role, with need to show they dedication to Order. Because they know, that they can't win with their Destiny...

This one of few Veiled Dynasties is more than big clan. There is rumor that Hashshashin's can make you one of their members, only you need to become embodiment of their ideology. They will take care of you as the orphan and when you will become Sleepwalker, there is chance that you will become one of Batini, of course, if you devote all your life to their cause.
                      Nowdays, they are lifting twin burden – working as Watchers of Destiny and need to show they loyalty for Guardians. If they will resist, they end like Merovegians, and this is terrible end... When someone of them gone rouge, he ends as mercenary, perfect killer for hire for who ever pay more for him, both in money and Mana.

Heritage Path: Moros

Nicknames: Assasins, Batini

Appearance: As decedents of Arabic people, there is always something in dark tones of they skin and dark hairs. They are often morbid by the deeds they must done. Batini avoid undue attention whenever possible, but they do tend to adopt a simple, reserved style. They are “one of them”, or at least try to be as much as they can.

Blessings: Death - Forensic Gaze (•), Grim Sight (•), Shadow Sculpting (•), Speak with the Dead (•), Suppress Aura (••), Corpse Mask (••), Devouring the Slain (•••), Suppress Own Life(•••); Fate - Quantum Flux (•), Sharpshooter’s Eye(•), Exceptional Luck (••), Fabricate Fortune (•••), Occlude Destiny (•••); Matter - Find the Hidden Hoard (•), Alter Accuracy (••), Armor Piercing (•••). Note that the dot ratings are for the original rotes. Add 1 dot to determine the Merit rating of each Blessing.

Curse: Mark of Watchman makes Batini to live miserable lives. Chosen as sentinels of Destiny, they need to be ones, even if they don't want to. If they don't erase those that are outside of they Destiny, Fate will take someone else, often those close to Batini. For every week character isn't finding next target to be eliminated for the sake of Destiny, ST can put some NPC character in to death leading situation near him. If not rescue in time, she will die – examples are car crashes, bystandering in gun fight, plane accident. This death is always sudden and bloody.

The way to deal with this Curse of the Assasins is simply to become what they need to – tools in the hand of Destiny. They forsake they live, leave they families, shut themselves from the outside world. And they kill. It's they way. It's for what they made to. It's who they are. It's who they need to be.

Oblations: Meditating near the corpse, Traditional mourning (wailing and tearing clothes in some cultures), Looking for clues from Destiny.

Character Concepts: Hit-man, beggar, executioner, extremist, Angel of Death

Do you like them as main storyline family tree?
                      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-18-2014, 01:57 PM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Any idea how Animus thing should work under Arcana? Mind+Time spell?

LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Probably Life + Time to establish Temporal Sympathy through genetic heritage, followed by a more powerful version of Postcognition. I'm not sure if you'd need Mind.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                          [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                          [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Tiresias, but what Arcana dot's we talkinkg about - Time 4 + Life 2?

LGBT+ through Ages
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I'd use Samuel's time travel spells from DaveB's APs as a base... so Space 3/Time3 for advanced duration factors in moving around your viewpoint around, probably bump up to Time 4 for a choose-your-own-adventure type thing positing plausible outcomes, and Mind 5 for a sympathetic mind-reading to establish the base experience. No Life required for temporal sympathy; just Time and your own regular sympathy boosted up with other Time spells.

So, probably Mind5/Time4/Space3.

Comment

Working...
                              X