Trans mages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans mages

Honestly I have nothing specific to say except just imagine a trans Mastigos talking over someone's explanation of Space increasingly loudly to correct 'real name' to 'sympathetic name'.

Sympathy depends entirely on how important something is to you. If you value your new name enough, it can become your "real" name.

Comment

Originally posted by Strill View Post
      Sympathy depends entirely on how important something is to you. If you value your new name enough, it can become your "real" name.
      so you mean with enough self-love, I can truely Identify as an Attack Helicopter?

Comment

Originally posted by Strill View Post
        Actually you can't.

Comment

Ok I will be open, I've always been alittle confused as to how this works.

I am actually trans myself I transitioned nearly 10 years ago in my teens, Most people I know these days have never known me from before. As such my current name is the only name they know me by. Even those that do have mentioned that they don't really think of me as the same person I was back then understandably so because my personality was quite different.
          But I've heard different ideas about "Real names"
          It's what you truly identify as (Your name can change)
          It's what's intimate (It's changes but also stays the same)
          It's what the exarchs plan for you (Your name doesn't change)
          It's that first connection with the fallen (your name doesn't change)

In my case I suppose I can understand the intimacy one, but I know the latter two are more common interpretations, because if you know my current name you know who I am now. If you know my old name aswell then you know who I was because presumably I'd have told you stories of my youth. But if you called me by my old name today I would look at you oddly then might be abit annoyed because I'd assume you were intentionally trying to be dense/insulting.

I've never played a transgender mage (never felt the need to) But I have drawn upon those experiences of my early transition to play mages in general, Even when I was taking Hormones and I was changing both physically and psychologically There were different people who knew different things and it was important at the time to keep the worlds separate, what my family knew compared to what my classmates at collage knew vs what my friends knew and how it was important to keep these worlds apart lest disaster strike.

I dunno what do you consider to be a "Real name"

Comment

In Mage, at least as far as I remember, your True Name (assuming no archmage shenanigans) is the name you grew up with and used for a majority of your childhood. IIRC it isn't necessarily your birth name, but it is the name you first identified yourself as. Even if later on you change your name due to any sort of other life changes, as far as magic is concerned, that name you were raised by is your True Name. Whether you identify with it anymore or not is irrelevant, it is the name your soul first acknowledged as its own and will remain as such unless extremely powerful (imperial) magic is worked upon it to change that.

Comment

Yeah; I think it's been made fairly repeatedly explicit that it doesn't matter what you think of as your name (or even if you hate your sympathetic name), by the time you're talking in complete sentences that ship has sailed. I just think it's a nice bit of bite to a trans mage's backstory (the idea that a name they most likely no longer identify with and may well hate is somehow more 'real') and also that you can only call sympathetic names real names so many times around the kind of bitter, militant queers i know and love and am before someone hexes you.

I did also have a legacy rooted in transness & trans history brewing but the more I wrote it the less I liked it. I should have another stab at one after 2e come out.

Comment

All that being said, you can change your true name, but it's an act of Archmastery.

If it was just emotional attachment that determined your true name then Mages would run into the problem of their shadow name becoming their true name with some level of frequency.

Comment

It's the first identification in the Fallen, and it doesn't change.

In second ed, we play up the idea of Shadow Names as elective identities a lot more, and note that when mages appear in the astral they take on their soul's self-image, which can be radically different to their physical bodies.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Real names are also far less important, magically, than they were in first edition.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

I don't know if I like the change, given the topic at hand, because it does seem like an interesting drama hook for a Mage to be stuck the rest of her life with a "true" name that she doesn't relate to anymore.

Curiously I'm trans myself but until now still pretty comfortable with my given unmistakenly male name.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                      #AutismPride
                      She/her pronouns

Comment

Wouldn't the official True Name be whatever you carved on the watchtower?

Comment

No. And for sympathy, it's a real name. Mage only uses " True Name" as the title if an archmastery spell that encrypts your sympathetic identity.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive
                            Wouldn't the official True Name be whatever you carved on the watchtower?
                            You probably can't consciously choose what you write on the Watchtower, and even if you could, there are example characters who signed the Watchtower with a bloody handprint; what exactly is their real name?
                            Originally posted by crabbadon
                            just imagine a trans Mastigos talking over someone's explanation of Space increasingly loudly to correct 'real name' to 'sympathetic name'.
                            .... No, I don't think I shall.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Ah, right. I guess I was thinking of Changeling and/or Dresden Files.

I think the thing is, the supernal doesn't really understand the concept of "boy names" and "girl names". There's just a string of sounds attached to the collection of symbols that make up "you". It doesn't really care whether the symbols for male or female are statistically more likely to be assigned to that particular string of sounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X