[2ED] Boston & New England setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2ED] Boston & New England setting

So I rather liked Boston as signature setting in the 1ED. I'm very Tim Burton-liking guy and loved the feeling of Sleepy Hallow. Also, I run London game and have soft spot for "old magic". As such, when thinking about new Mage chronicle to run in our RPG club - "Maybe cool would be to revisit New England and Boston, in 2ED way?" This topic is exactly for this.

This game will start in small New England town, "somewhere in woods". PCs will be first Sleepers and then freshly Awakened that goes after Philosopher's Stone Mystery. They will have brush with local Sleepers cult, probably becoming heads of it in few weeks with their new magic. And then Boston Consilium will find them after looking for Magnum Opus, by the rivaling cabals.

As I suspect we do not see Boston in 2ED Mage, what I need is this:

1. I need cool name for New England small town, one "in the woods". Something evoking is always nice to see. Town will be far away from Boston so that Consilium will not discover mages - at least untill they will not make a large noise.

2. Any "official" changes to Boston setting. I heard that Nemean was exiled being accused of Left-Hand practices in Fallen World Anthology book?

MtAw 2E - My Legacies and System Hacks Hubs
    WtF 2E - My Lodges and System Hacks Hubs
    WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Any "official" changes to Boston setting. I heard that Nemean was exiled being accused of Left-Hand practices in Fallen World Anthology book?
    The Nemean was imprisoned within his own Oneiros in "The Cage is the Lion's Heart," the opening fiction for the Silver Ladder book, and at some point between then and "The Unmurdered Man," became something not entirely like an archmaster, such that he managed to escape but serves as the separating intermediary between our world and the Prince of 100,000 Leaves mentioned in the Secret Concord.

While all that was happening, he was stripped of his position as Hierarch of Boston in a trial held in Chicago, on testimony from his daimon.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

If you're dong New England, you owe Livecraft a nod. Arkham and Innsmouth might be a bit too on the nose, but there's always Kingsport...

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
        While all that was happening, he was stripped of his position as Hierarch of Boston in a trial held in Chicago, on testimony from his daimon.
        Someone has been chosen to take on Hierarch's place to this day? Books mentioned who it could be?

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
        If you're dong New England, you owe Livecraft a nod. Arkham and Innsmouth might be a bit too on the nose, but there's always Kingsport...
        I want to honor Lovecraft with particular Acamoth that attacked him in game universe in 1920 leading to creation of Cthulhu Mythos.

But as to towns name I do not want to over done this - I thought about using even Secret World's Kingsmouth, but one player has extensive playthrough with this.

Now I think maybe better for start will be something like Ipswitch - but the real town is to close for Boston to let me run mine first story Arc about lone new Awakened, away from Consilium.

Comment

Isn't the Consilium buiseness based in Salem, anyway?

Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

Comment

Well, the game I´m currently directing is based in New England, I love the dark writer tradition of Lovecraft, Frost and King. And also like The Secret World. In my game, the characters are building a Sanctuary in the ruins of Insmouth mannor and exploring Solomon Island in a Sandbox type campaign. Lots of inspiring mysteries there.

In the politics side, there is a cold war between the Boston mages and New England mages. The first, specially those in the Nemean side see Boston as the capital of New England´s Council. Non Bostonian mages, see Boston Council as Only Boston Council. Massachussets Council at most. I already make them distrust the Nemean and his warlord attitude and began to forge links with some opposition cabals, like Illuminated Pentacle.

So, my game is a mix of Sandbox in the local side, and a "normal" game in the political field. But I think my players don´t want to play politics too much.

Comment

If I get it correctly, Boston ( or rather Salem ) Consilium's Grand Mystery should be Secret Concord and what exactly went in Salem, just before the Witch Trials, yes?

Comment

Just for the sake of reference, there was a thread some time ago about the evolving setting of Boston and New England:
                http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...u-done-with-it

Comment

For the starting town itself I chosen Wendell - it's small enough and out of the way, I suspect Consilium would not come near to it. Also, it was not mentioned in Boston Unveiled and it's located amidst forests and lake, so good scluded place from all the Awakened society to start mine game.

I'm still much interested on official and fan interpretations of what is going with Boston and New England at large in Mage games.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    The Nemean was imprisoned within his own Oneiros in "The Cage is the Lion's Heart," the opening fiction for the Silver Ladder book, and at some point between then and "The Unmurdered Man," became something not entirely like an archmaster, such that he managed to escape but serves as the separating intermediary between our world and the Prince of 100,000 Leaves mentioned in the Secret Concord.

I think that the subtext of The Unmurdered Man and The Human Heart was about the Nemean's Seeking, and that he is now an Archmaster proper, and an Aswad at that.
                    Then again, I always looked upon the Nemean with some kind of horrified fascination and respect. I like the character, I really do.

Comment

Originally posted by Seidmadr View Post
                      I think that the subtext of The Unmurdered Man and The Human Heart was about the Nemean's Seeking, and that he is now an Archmaster proper, and an Aswad at that.
                      Then again, I always looked upon the Nemean with some kind of horrified fascination and respect. I like the character, I really do.
                      *Sets up a "Fuck the Buddha - The Nemean" T-shirt booth*

Comment

Originally posted by Ephsy View Post

*Sets up a "Fuck the Buddha - The Nemean" T-shirt booth*
                        Do you have any "Have you ever eaten a human heart"-shirts? Preferably with a picture of a heart held in a slightly clawed hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Seidmadr View Post

Do you have any "Have you ever eaten a human heart"-shirts?
                          "Growth is painful. Don't forget it."

He's a quotable bastard, isn't he.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

He'd be an Archmaster of Life, right? Not Spirit?

Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

Comment

Coming away from the subtopic about Nemean, who is Ruling in Heavens ( or Hells )...

Do official sources points who is new Hierarch? Or does Boston ( and Salem ) is assumed to be Consilium going down without the lead of anyone competent?

Also - Did some of official NPCs in Boston Unveiled died in gameline fictions?

Comment

Working...
                              X