No announcement yet.

[2ED] Boston & New England setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd love to, but have decided to simply spend more time playing games instead of talking and writing about them. I might change my mind and write something up, but for now I'm sticking to just running games.

Comment

• Oh, what about a ban and a bane for the Acamoth? I went with the empathetic Sanctifier of the Meek motif.

Comment

• By the way, while you're thinking about that, I'd like you (or anyone else here) to critique the Mystery:

The Mystery of Deep Purple

Opacity: 3

Surface Information [through Revelation w/o Scrutiny]:

Death - Soul of user has been altered in some way by the drug
        Life - User exhibits extreme steroid use symptoms and suffers from an unnatural hunger
        Matter - Altered chemical substance similar to heroin, mixed with blood through Patterning
        Mind - User’s Oneiros has been altered, Acamoth Tethered to user in Mind Twilight
        Prime - Drug carries traces of Awakened magic, undecipherable Signature Nimbus
        Time - Drug vial is 3 months old, user has been under the effects for 3 weeks

Deep Information [through lowering Opacity w/Scrutiny]:

Fate - Users share their fates with one another (converging lines)
        Matter - The blood part of the substance carries an Abyssal taint, the magic drug is Lasting
        Mind - User’s Daimon is extremely weak or non-existent, Acamoth is causing the hunger
        Prime - Resonance of Compliance can be found as well as a trace Abyssal taint, Signature Nimbus causes drug to appear more translucent as if being X-rayed
        Space - Users share a strong sympathetic connection, even if unrelated

Final Solution [at Opacity 0]

Users share a realm in the Temenos: Purging the drug from the user’s system, severing their link to the hive in the Temenos with Space, and repairing their Oneiros with Mind can save a victim and begin the recovery process.
        Last edited by Johnny Awesome; 01-31-2017, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny Awesome View Post
          Oh, what about a ban and a bane for the Acamoth? I went with the empathetic Sanctifier of the Meek motif.
          At the moment you know more about the Acamoth than I do. Still, I'll make a shot in the dark and try anyway. Since the Acamoth represents a belief, its weakness can lie either in needing to uphold that belief, or in subversion of that belief. If you give the Acamoth additional symbolism, you can design its weaknesses after that, but I'm working off what I know.

Let's start with the obvious:
          Ban: It can only affect users of Deep Purple. It might discover other means of access in the future.
          Ban: It can only affect perpetrators and victims of cannibalism. A shared Temenos realm circumvents this Ban.

Dogma:
          Ban: Whenever a killer refuses to consume their victim the Sanctifier will intervene. It's always aware when this happens around its cultists. If the killer successfully pleads their case (succeeds at an appropriate Social or Mental roll), the Sanctifier may become traumatized.
          Ban: Both disrespecting and easing the suffering of the sacrifices are unacceptable. Sanctifier will intervene to correct that misconduct. If the perpetrator successfully pleads their case (succeeds at an appropriate Social or Mental roll), the Sanctifier may become traumatized.
          Ban: When approached respectfully, Sanctifier will happily share advice on any topic. After all, fulfilling lives make for both better sacrifices and priests. However, it won't knowingly go against its protégés interests by doing so.

Blasphemy:
          Bane: Force-feeding one's flesh to an unwilling human being reverses the Ruler - Sacrifice relation. The Acamoth suffers from witnessing that act.
          Bane: Funerals as we know them are alien to the Sanctifier. Cremated or embalmed remains, or bodies allowed to decay act as its Bane.
          Bane: Whenever a cultist earnestly accepts mercy and help after being defeated, they become Sanctifier's Bane. There needs to be notable effort or sacrifice on part of the mercy-giver.
          Bane: People in an unequal relationship praying together.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

• Two things coming from my latest games session:
            1. Guardian player is interested in (Legion) heresy Legacy. Shadow Chorus members are looking as good material for heretics - still, I don't think all members of cabal would be. For example Culsu seems to be fixed on her one Shadow Name persona only. Who's from Chorus would be from (Legion)?
            2. Promethean player want to equal non-mages in the eyes of local Lex Magica. So I need to know about local non-mages supernaturals societies. Are there described in books? If not, have you got fan idea on Boston societies of vampires, werewolves or changeling?
            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-25-2017, 10:48 AM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
            My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

• 1) The whole point of (Legion) is that you wouldn't know who's in it. I think you'd get more bang for your buck if they were a mystery mentor whose identity you can't pin down. Heck, (Legion) is thought of as a disease, it's entirely possible they meet only one time and the student accepts it and becomes infected. From there all meaningful interaction might happen Sympathetically and/or anonymously to decrease the likelihood of discovery.

Comment

• Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                Guardian player is interested in (Legion) heresy Legacy. Shadow Chorus members are looking as good material for heretics - still, I don't think all members of cabal would be. For example Culsu seems to be fixed on her one Shadow Name persona only. Who's from Chorus would be from (Legion)?
                I don't have the book on me, but "Left-Hand Path" starts with a story of a Shadow Chorus member being (Legion). Also Mrmdubois is in the right. (Legion) is a condition where your identity is slowly obliterated. Only self-destructive characters would want that.

Comment

• For the record you'd also want to put some serious work into (Legion) when retooling it for 2e, in 1e its attainments were basically unworkable giving up way too much (Essentially all your magic when using the attainments) while giving not enough (A disguise ability done better by Prince of Masks) for too high a price (Soul stealing).

Comment

• There is very nice (Legion) Legacy 2E update made by 21C Hermit. And maybe Legacy is sub-optimal from OOC view, but characters in the game join most Left-Hand Legacies because, well... they were being tricked in to them. And my player is interested in exploring (Legion), as her Guardian PC is already over dogmatic for most Guardians.

Read Left-Hand Path books intro and there is mentioned Kenosia as (Legion) member. She is not described in Boston Unveiled. Is there some source where she is?

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
                    My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

• 21C Hermit Did a good job overcoming the original problems the legacy had in 1e. The rest of what I said about how I'd make the mentor as anonymous as possible still applies. (Legion) is about subsuming the self so I can't really imagine members actually wanting to know each other more than absolutely necessary. Basically, I figure a member of (Legion) would show up and say, "I'm here to offer you an opportunity, do you want in?" and they wouldn't say, "Hey, my name is Kenosia and I'm a member of (Legion), do you want in?"

Comment

• I'm trying to convert Beast of Burden to 2e.

Do you think the Shinje should still be Rank 4 in 2e?

Any tips for converting this mystery into a "Mystery"?

Comment

• I pretty much decided to keep The Shinje as written.

Here is the mystery breakdown I came up with if anyone is interested or wants to critique it:

Mystery - Beast of Burden

Shinje - Threefold Resurrection Spirit

Opacity: 3

Surface Information [through Revelation w/o Scrutiny]:

Death - Phurba has Death resonance
                          Life - Wu is weak
                          Matter - Cage has been strengthened with a Matter spell
                          Mind - Wu is distraught
                          Prime - Traces of Awakened magic on the shattered cage
                          Spirit - Gauntlet has been strengthened inside the zone of the cage, Phurba has a Spirit resonance
                          Time - The cage was shattered two hours ago

Deep Information [through lowering Opacity w/Scrutiny or other investigation]:

Death - Wu lacks a soul (must contend with Transform Aura first), Shinje possesses two souls
                          Fate - Phurba has a strong connection to Khatvanga/Shinje
                          Life - The Shinje is capable of shifting forms
                          Mind - Breach the Vault of Memory spell exists on Wu (Clash vs. 12 dice)
                          Prime - Transform Aura spell on Wu so he appears Awakened with a soul (Clash vs. 11 dice), Otherwise he registers as Awakened
                          Space - Phurba has an Intimate connection to Khatvanga/Shinje
                          Time - Whatever is supposed to happen will happen within the next 7 days

Final Solution [at Opacity 0] - Full extent of Khatvanga’s intentions and how the Shinje works becomes known. Likely only possible with Athaneum research.
                          Last edited by Johnny Awesome; 06-06-2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Johnny Awesome I've been wondering how the Acamoth and its plot thread went over with your players. Did you get any interesting reactions?

Comment

• That group doesn't play that often but it's been going well. I'll post a plot summary at some point.

Comment

• Teatime,

This group is finally playing again after a 4-month hiatus.

They've tracked the source of Deep Purple to Harvard and confronted Clint Zellner, Dr. Kether's assistant. He co-located to her lab and one of the PCs managed to jump through the portal before it closed and fought Clint for a brief time before realizing he was in trouble and managed to use Velocity to quickly exit the building and rendezvous with the other PCs.

My players are 10, 12 and 40 years old, btw, but the kids are super smart. Given their age they definitely have a tendency to prefer action. They told me that they were going to go back into Kether's lab to confront her. She has informed campus security and the Boston PD as well about the assault on her lab, so the PCs will have to hurry.

In keeping with the flavor of the chronicle, I'm expecting them to fight Clint and Dr. Kether which might lead them to Dr. Imes's lab through another discovered portal. It's protected by super zombies and it's where the Deep Purple is being manufactured using the blood of a comatose mad scelesti.

My question is: If the comatose Scelesti wakes up (Adept of Space, I've decided) do you have any cool ideas for Abyssal Investments he could have and an idea for his appearance given the "Boss battle" nature of the encounter? I supposed I'm looking for someone/thing monstrous that they need to put down.

Comment

Working...
                                X