[Open Dev]Signs of Sorcery-Introduction and Advanced Mage Sight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Open Dev]Signs of Sorcery-Introduction and Advanced Mage Sight

Our first open dev for Signs of Sorcery!

Edit: Whoops, meant full Mage Sight. Sorry about that!

I can only sing on this blog post as...

And this mem captures my take on the book itself...

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I agree Wyrd.

Comment

I think that throwaway mention of "Pentacle mages drawing upon the Exarchs" did more for me than the entire rest of that preview. Woof.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
          I think that throwaway mention of "Pentacle mages drawing upon the Exarchs" did more for me than the entire rest of that preview. Woof.
          I agree. I've been wondering if that's possible for some time.

Comment

Sounds like the Exarchs are filling in the role of Abyssal magic? You're "tainting" the spells with Exarch power? I've noticed the lack of Belial's Brood and Bale Hounds / Maeljin in 2e core books so far. I'm wondering if Scelesti are taking a back burner option as well?

"The corebook (like the 1e core) doesn’t have any spells that use more than one Arcanum in it"
            This line kind of annoyed me, simply because its factually incorrect. The 1e core book absolutely had spells that used more than one Arcanum in. Not many, but they were there. I also find the line about this not being Tome of the Mysteries 2e slightly annoying. Both books seem to have the same purpose - covering material that word count doesn't let in Mage core. We're covering spellcraft, enchanted items, mage tools, soul stones... Its totally TotM 2e.

Comment

Scelesti are in the core book, actually, with one of their Initiations (the four Scelesti Initiations are tainting a spell, tainting your path, developing a Scelesti Legacy, and bargaining for control of Paradox with the Old Man). The rest will go up in a blog / errata for Left Hand Path long before Signs ever comes out.

The thing in Signs' chapter two is, "what are the consequences for trying to use an Exarch as a Patron Yantra without first being a Seer and buying the Prelacy Merit".

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                I also find the line about this not being Tome of the Mysteries 2e slightly annoying. Both books seem to have the same purpose - covering material that word count doesn't let in Mage core. We're covering spellcraft, enchanted items, mage tools, soul stones... Its totally TotM 2e.
                What he meant by that sentence was explained in the very next sentence: "It’s not the only book we’re revisiting content from."

Comment

Chapter one "expands the rules for Supernal Entities and how mages summon them, giving them unique dread powers called boons on top of their Arcana."

So, we will basically be able to give a personal touch to the Supernal entities we summon? That's so cool. This and the Aedes, and beings like Aeons, Ochemata and the legendary creatures are at the top of my list of things I want to know about.
                  Last edited by Prometheus; 03-21-2016, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I'm most excited about are advanced Yantras, complex spells, and especially Emanation realms! I've been interested in those since they were introduced in (I think) Imperial Mysteries.

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
                    Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

It's better to say it's not ToTM 2 than to say it's ToTM2, because if you say so, some people will expect 1:1 translation between two and will feel betrayed when you don't just do the same material again, or don't translate their favorite bit to 2nd ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Juhn View Post
                        What he meant by that sentence was explained in the very next sentence: "It’s not the only book we’re revisiting content from."
                        Doesn't change the fact I find it annoying. Despite what some may think, I -did- read the entire post.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                          Doesn't change the fact I find it annoying. Despite what some may think, I -did- read the entire post.
                          You're nitpicking over the exact wording on an open dev post.

Have we seriously not learned how stupid this is yet?

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
                          An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
                          Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

I heard that, when Dave Brookshaw was researching Broken Diamond in Washington, DC, there was an "incident" with an associate of his involving a Metro train. Of course, Mr. Brookshaw's office refused to confirm or deny any meeting took place with this associate.

Neall Raemonn Price
                            Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

The only thing that slightly puts me off about the open dev is the line that the vast majority of mysteries aren't Supernal. I don't like to crossover Mage with other game lines because, quite frankly, I find Mage to be vastly more interesting that other game lines (I can play Werewolf and enjoy it a lot, but in my Mage, Werewolves are Mages with solid Life Arcanum ratings). Is it going to be a very abnormal campaign, perhaps not playing as intended, if I run Mage without bringing in stuff from Vampire, Werewolf etc? The Spirit World and the gauntlet, sure, ghosties and that, sure, but I'd prefer not to have to bring stuff from Requiem or whatever into the mix.

Comment

Working...
                              X