[Open Dev]Signs of Sorcery-Introduction and Advanced Mage Sight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solar
    Eh I think the whole "literally everyone has interacted with the supernatural they just have convinced themselves otherwise" thing is a bit of a questionable conceit but it's literally the easiest thing in the world to pretend isn't there. Weird shit? Fine. Good, even! Weird shit all the time everywhere? Eh, I don't think we need that at all.
    I didn't say "all the time" or "everybody experiences it", I said "frequent enough that there's something really weird about how more people aren't up in arms about it". It's like... I greatly fear that it's tasteless to use the fact of "one in four women will experience sexual violence in their lifetime" to illustrate my point, and yet I find that it lines up fairly closely and might make the point fairly starkly, so I will do so with apologies to whomever it is hurtful or distressing to.
    I was wondering to what extent Mage assumes the supernatural creatures of the other lines are out there, present in the world?
    I doubt that they'll go out of their way to avoid mentioning them, but that their existence won't really be essential to the function of anything that the game can't do without. A book might make a passing reference to something that is almost definitely a vampire from Requiem, but as long as there's no description of a major wing of the Adamantine Arrow being a dedicated anti-Kindred task force, or the politics that arise from interactions between larger Convocations and Domains, it's no more than just another thing lying around in the tool box.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

One of the Werewolf plot hooks mentions these weird owls made of smoke. If you know the Strix Chronicle for Requiem, you go "oh cool, Striges," and maybe get inspired to run some woofwoof/strix fun. If you don't... well, it's an intriguing plot hook you can take off in an entirely different direction - and of course nothing stops you doing that even if you do think "ah, that's a not-particularly-subtle Strix." Nothing relies on you having any idea of what the Requiem Striges are like.

I suspect that's the level most, if not all, crossovers in the core lines are going to be like - throwaway references that can inspire crossover fun if you know the other side, or work as standalone inspiration like any of the other not-fully-explained plot hooks the books are packed with.

Comment

Originally posted by branford View Post

While you certainly can adjust your chronicle to suit your tastes, the supernatural is far more pervasive in the overall default CofD setting that you suggest or might prefer.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...ave#post760510

I'm well aware of the default setting's position there, that's why I posted my opinion on it. Anyway it's not to my taste and seems like an unnecessary conceit, but it barely affects actual practical campaigns played unless you go out of your way to make it do so, and thus no biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by branford View Post

Supernal Worlds physically manifesting Emanation Realms around mages?

What? How?
          Since it first got mentioned in the dev blogs at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Since it first got mentioned in the dev blogs at the very least.
            Where?

Emanation Realms have been a thing since Imperial Mysteries, but I don't recall any prior spoiler where they now suddenly manifest physically in the Fallen World around mages,

Comment

http://theonyxpath.com/terra-incogni...the-awakening/
              Verges

Verges are areas where the Supernal World or Abyss is especially strong, overwriting the laws of reality with the originating realm. Pandemonic Verges are nightmarish, twisting labyrinths. Aether verges are firestorms. Arcadian Verges are zones of weird or missed time. Abyssal verges are twisted spots where reality breaks down entirely. Supernal and Abyssal beings can survive in the appropriate kind of Verge indefinitely and see and be seen by anyone inside, which makes them doubly dangerous.
              The rarest, largest, and most powerful Verges contain Irises leading to worlds where Fallen reality breaks down entirely rather than being twisted – these Emanation Realms (in Supernal Verges) and Annunaki (in Abyssal Verges) aren’t fully the Abyss or Supernal World, more like “Fallen World Verges” within those strata of reality.
              Verges occur naturally, but Abyssal Verges can result from strong Paradoxes. Sleepers can’t destroy a true Supernal Verge through Dissonance, but their memories of time inside are subject to Quiescence.
              Lastly, although we’ll only have room to mention the existence of Verges, Emanation Realms, and Annunaki in the corebook without detailed rules in the core, they’ll have a chapter devoted to them in second edition’s first supplement.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Hey Dave, was the whole Astral Mentor thing inspired at all by Soul Cage? Hopefully it is a little safer than swapping diamons was.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                  http://theonyxpath.com/terra-incogni...the-awakening/
                  Verges

[COLOR=#555555][FONT=Verdana]
                  Thanks. I didn't realize your earlier post was referencing an Acanthus actually traveling through an Iris to an Arcadian Emanation Realm.

I definitely look forward to the relevant chapter in SoS.

BTW, do mages suffer environmental effects when traveling in Emanation Realms of their own Path? For instance, would an Obrimos be protected from incineration or electrocution in an Aetherean Emanation Realm?

Comment

I actually recalled that there is one aspect of Mage that is fairly referential to another game line; Neolithic Mage is set in the time before the Gauntlet, in which stuff from the backstory for Werewolf: the Forsaken is evident and relevant.
                    seems like an unnecessary conceit
                    Helps illustrate the significance of the Sleeping Curse, for one thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                      I actually recalled that there is one aspect of Mage that is fairly referential to another game line; Neolithic Mage is set in the time before the Gauntlet, in which stuff from the backstory for Werewolf: the Forsaken is evident and relevant. Helps illustrate the significance of the Sleeping Curse, for one thing.
                      It was also an explicit crossover as a result of a Kickstarter stretch goal or contributor tier. Such situations are definitely not the norm for any of the gamelines (except possibly Beast).

Comment

So okay this is how I understand it.

The Supernal World is just the symbolism innate to stuff in the world (by world I mean Earth, Underworld, Shadow).

The Supernal Realms is the symbollic reality beyond the Supernal World, much more pure.

The Supernal World is an innate trait of the World, just as stuff and people are made up of molecules, they are on a different level, made up of Supernal Symbols.

The Supernal Realms on the other hand are pure Supernal Symbols unconstrained by the World.

Supernal Entities are beings that aren't made up of Supernal symbols, they ARE pure Supernal symbols.

The Lower Depths are Worlds that are absent, or too low in a particular type of Supernal Symbols, were as The World is more balanced (although you'd think the Underworld would be absent of Life, but then again the living can survive in the Underworld).

So to use a physics analogy the Supernal World like our 4 dimesional world (3d + time), and the Supernal Realms are like higher dimesions that allows the physics of our 3d + time world to work.

Verges are spaces that are still very much a part of the world, they're not seperate, but elements and influences and energies of the Supernal Realms or the Abyss have leaked into that location, causing it to take on the traits of the symbols that have manifested.

Example a house that is a Stygia Verge takes on the traits of Stygia, death and matter manifest in weird ways, but the house is still the world, you can still throw rocks through its windows, or open the door and walk in.

Now a Emination Realm is a place within the Higher Dimesional Space called the Supernal Realms, its not in our world at all, the only way to get their is via IRIS which are doorsway that connect the world and the High Dimesions that are Supernal World.

The Emination Realms are locations in the Supernal Realms were traits from the world, solidness, and other traits, having leaked into the Supernal Realms creating spaces that mortals and simular beings can inhabit, like a pocket of air in an ocean.

One can't survive on pure symbols, one needs actual oyxgen, not just the supernal symbol for oxygen.

When a supernal entity is summoned then, what really happens is it is pulled to your location, and greated the traits of the world, giving it a form beyond just being a Supernal Symbol.

So to some up the Supernal World isn't a place, its a normally unseen trait of the world, like gravity, atoms, etc...

The Abyss isn't an nothingness as its ofyen depicted, its more a place of antisymbols and other symbols that have no place in the world and in fact are toxic too it. There is no Abyssal World to the Supernal World, the antisymbols of the abyss are not normally innate stuff in the world, like Supernal Symbols are.

Stuff that possess Abyssal Antisymbols are tainted and corrupted by stuff that has no place in reality, toxic and resentful of it.

The Supernatural Realms on the other hand are a higher dimesion, that is unhabitable by humans, except in Emination Realms which are like Space Stations in Outer Space.

So a vampire is made up of supernal symbols, just like a Vampire is made up of molecules, and bound by the Wyrd.

Remember all the Splats basically have their own law of magic/physics that shapes reality, that they can influence.

The Supernal World is the inheriant symbols of stuff, the Wyrd is the inheriant story/narrative of stuff, Vitae is the animating force that animates stuf, so on.

Comment

This really sounds like someone, somewhere watched a little too much Aquarion, Aquarion Evol, and Aquarion Logos.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                            Stuff that possess Abyssal Antisymbols are tainted and corrupted by stuff that has no place in reality, toxic and resentful of it.
                            Toxic maybe, resentful not necessarily.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                              Helps illustrate the significance of the Sleeping Curse, for one thing.
                              The Sleeping Curse worked just fine last edition without that conceit so I'd say it's an un-needed element.

EDIT: but it's also not really a big deal either. Like most stuff from the core I dislike (which is very little!) I can easily ignore it.
                              Last edited by Solar; 03-26-2016, 06:15 AM.

Comment

The conceit was not directly stated (and probably won't even be in the new book), but if Mage the Awakening was set in the new World of Darkness, then it was definitely there. That's kind of what made that setting; in contrast to the previous one with "corruption, conspiricy and cynicism run really deep, and the overall cosmetic is more gothic", it was "there's weird mystery and inexplicable horror underlying everything that traumatises almost everybody who doesn't ignore it". How else could Hunter: the Vigil have worked? From Dave's comments, I gather that Innocents (a book that came out in 2008) was the closest to being explicit about it, and I suppose that would have been the case because the premise would really need to address the question of "how can children be involved in this kind of stuff without any kind of adult intervention".

Comment

Working...
                                X