Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicolas Milioni
    replied
    symbolic places called Manteions like the Nevada test range or the ruins of Troy that are themselves magical symbols usable by mages
    So. Manteions are place that are so important and epic that they become supernal symbols? Are they places that are reflecting by the supernal world isntead of reflecting the supernal world?

Leave a comment:

• Freemind
    replied
    To add: the Abyss isn't Supernal. That means plenty of Mysteries that won't stem from the Supernal that are going to be exclusive to mages... Horrible, reality shattering Mysteries.

Leave a comment:

• branford
    replied
    Originally posted by Solar View Post
    Ideally for me, all the mysteries a Mage encounters tie back to the Supernal, as the Fallen World is made up purely of the shadows of the Supernal as they filter through the Abyss.
    While you can certainly play that way if you choose, it is definitely not the default setting for Mage and the general CofD.

Most canon supernatural phenomena are definitely not Supernal in origin. However, supernal magic still provides all (or most) of the necessary tools to investigate all supernatural phenomena regardless of origin.
    Last edited by branford; 03-21-2016, 07:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    The only thing that slightly puts me off about the open dev is the line that the vast majority of mysteries aren't Supernal. I don't like to crossover Mage with other game lines because, quite frankly, I find Mage to be vastly more interesting that other game lines (I can play Werewolf and enjoy it a lot, but in my Mage, Werewolves are Mages with solid Life Arcanum ratings). Is it going to be a very abnormal campaign, perhaps not playing as intended, if I run Mage without bringing in stuff from Vampire, Werewolf etc? The Spirit World and the gauntlet, sure, ghosties and that, sure, but I'd prefer not to have to bring stuff from Requiem or whatever into the mix.
    There are plenty of Mysteries that aren't Supernal or crossover. Tokyo's anti-magic zones aren't either of those, while a more general topic like "past lives" or "local UFO sightings" can be all sorts of things.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    The only thing that slightly puts me off about the open dev is the line that the vast majority of mysteries aren't Supernal. I don't like to crossover Mage with other game lines
    Cutting in here to point out: Does not follow. Even without getting into the stuff that Mage's three core non-Supernal otherworlds bring to bear, Weird Shit isn't confined to gameline-specific phenomena. "Most of the strange things mages encounter are not the direct work of other mages" is pretty much all it means.

Leave a comment:

• Solar
    replied
    I hope so! All the Supernal specific stuff sounds absolutely wicked for sure and I am really pumped for that (as I always am with DaveB's stuff), I just hope it's not defined by being the minority of the mysteries a Mage encounters. Ideally for me, all the mysteries a Mage encounters tie back to the Supernal, as the Fallen World is made up purely of the shadows of the Supernal as they filter through the Abyss.

Leave a comment:

• branford
    replied
    The only thing that slightly puts me off about the open dev is the line that the vast majority of mysteries aren't Supernal. I don't like to crossover Mage with other game lines because, quite frankly, I find Mage to be vastly more interesting that other game lines (I can play Werewolf and enjoy it a lot, but in my Mage, Werewolves are Mages with solid Life Arcanum ratings). Is it going to be a very abnormal campaign, perhaps not playing as intended, if I run Mage without bringing in stuff from Vampire, Werewolf etc? The Spirit World and the gauntlet, sure, ghosties and that, sure, but I'd prefer not to have to bring stuff from Requiem or whatever into the mix.

You can choose whatever Mysteries you want in your chronicle. I believe Dave's (and OP's) intent is to ensure that Mage cosmology doesn't overrun or dominate the entire CofD setting, and they've been insistent for quite some time that the Supernal is just a very, very small slice of the supernatural world.

Moreover, the Shadow and spirits, the Underworld and ghosts, and most everything else you can think of, regardless of whether it is explicitly included or inspired by the CofD book or other gamelines, are already not actually part of the Supernal World yet still ripe for Mage shenanigans. In fact, many of these ubiquitous setting elements will be included in the new Made core.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    I doubt that was the intention. Dave has been pretty vocal about not crossing Mage with the other lines.

Leave a comment:

• Solar
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Neall
    replied
    I heard that, when Dave Brookshaw was researching Broken Diamond in Washington, DC, there was an "incident" with an associate of his involving a Metro train. Of course, Mr. Brookshaw's office refused to confirm or deny any meeting took place with this associate.

Leave a comment:

• Errol216
    replied
    Originally posted by MCN View Post
    Doesn't change the fact I find it annoying. Despite what some may think, I -did- read the entire post.
    You're nitpicking over the exact wording on an open dev post.

Have we seriously not learned how stupid this is yet?

Leave a comment:

• MCN
    replied
    Originally posted by Juhn View Post
    What he meant by that sentence was explained in the very next sentence: "It’s not the only book we’re revisiting content from."
    Doesn't change the fact I find it annoying. Despite what some may think, I -did- read the entire post.

Leave a comment:

• WHW
    replied
    It's better to say it's not ToTM 2 than to say it's ToTM2, because if you say so, some people will expect 1:1 translation between two and will feel betrayed when you don't just do the same material again, or don't translate their favorite bit to 2nd ed.

Leave a comment:

• Octavo
    replied
    I'm most excited about are advanced Yantras, complex spells, and especially Emanation realms! I've been interested in those since they were introduced in (I think) Imperial Mysteries.

Leave a comment:

• Prometheus
    replied
    Chapter one "expands the rules for Supernal Entities and how mages summon them, giving them unique dread powers called boons on top of their Arcana."

So, we will basically be able to give a personal touch to the Supernal entities we summon? That's so cool. This and the Aedes, and beings like Aeons, Ochemata and the legendary creatures are at the top of my list of things I want to know about.
    Last edited by Prometheus; 03-21-2016, 10:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X