A Changeling related question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Changeling related question

I hesitated between the Mage and the Changeling board but I think Mage is the more adequate. Did the Changeling come from Arcadia and if so how is it possible to cross the Abyss and reach a Supernal realm ?

No, Changeling's Arcadia is a different place to Mage's Arcadia.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

It's not the same Arcadia, they just share a name.

Comment

And, could a Mage travel to the Changeling Arcadia, using the Spirit sphere ?

Comment

Spirit would not be involved. Fae Arcadia is reached through the Hedge, which would require a fixed gateway you could jimmy open with Fate or the assistance of a changeling. Either way, it's a bad idea.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Yes, I got from Changeling that Fae were quite powerful and abusive, but I watched the Magicians and Once upon a time and these shows made me wonder if it was possible to involve some kind of faerie kingdom in a Mage Chronicle. My first guess being that such a place would be resonant with the Acanthus' Watchtower.

Comment

Changeling!Arcadia and Mage!Arcadia are totally different realms in Second Editions. In First Edition it was not so nice and clean, so DaveB and devs team made a call to separate them, once and for all.

From Mage cosmology standpoint, Changeling!Arcadia can be seen as Lower Depths realm emulating some symbols of Supernal Arcadia. True Fae could be banished Supernal Beings rulers of the realm by the Exarchs, but they adapted to the Hedge and Faerie rules.

As to Magicians and Once Upon a Time - we have exactly like this topic few days ago on general CoD subforum. Here is the link.
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-24-2016, 06:09 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Thanks Wyrdhamster, I'm foolowing the yellow brich thread ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                  Spirit would not be involved. Fae Arcadia is reached through the Hedge, which would require a fixed gateway you could jimmy open with Fate or the assistance of a changeling. Either way, it's a bad idea.
                  This is a nice quick way of handling mages and Hedge gateways!
                  I wonder if using Fate is a one-way affair. I seem to remember that Demons can use Rip the Gates to get to the Hedge, but not back from it.

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
                  Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
                  Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Originally posted by Octavo View Post

This is a nice quick way of handling mages and Hedge gateways!
                    I wonder if using Fate is a one-way affair. I seem to remember that Demons can use Rip the Gates to get to the Hedge, but not back from it.
                    It's a rule of thumb that magical shortcuts can get you into but not out of the Hedge. The note from the Demon STG follows logically from a similar note in Changeling 1e on using the Arcana to navigate the Hedge.

Resident Lore-Hound
                    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                      It's a rule of thumb that magical shortcuts can get you into but not out of the Hedge. The note from the Demon STG follows logically from a similar note in Changeling 1e on using the Arcana to navigate the Hedge.
                      Makes sense! The entrance-only nature of supernatural shortcuts really sets the Hedge apart from the other Otherworlds, and heightens the sense of danger for Mages who would look for Mysteries in the abode of goblins and Gentry.

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
                      Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
                      Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

If it's the same as in 1st edition, using Fate magic to open an existing hedge gate is NOT one way; it can open a hedgegate that has a key from either side of it (You're using the intended gateways, even if you're kind of tricking said gateways to do it). The things that ARE one way are other means of travel, like using Space to teleport into the hedge or create a portal, for instance; you can't use Space to get out afterward.

Storytellers' Vault supplements (WoD, CoD)
                        My Patreon! (Current CofD bonuses: Fae Sorcery for Vampires, Generic Blood Tenebrous, and Theurgy for Second Sight)

Comment

If it's official it's official I can't argue with that. But would you like to hear the insane idea I had about it?

I assumed they were/and weren't the same. One upon a time there was only Changeling Arcadia with the insane cruel fae that abduct humans for there solipsistic tendancies. Then one day the exarch's of fate and time came and defeated all of the gentry becoming masters of all creation they remade the fae and arcadia into there benign servants and changed the fallen world throughout all of time and fate. Arcadia V2

After this one of the great kings followed the exarchs up, Now having come from this changed world he arrived in the changed V2 of Arcadia for this is where anyone who ascends ends up, here the great king made the watchtowers and fundimentally rewrote the realm again Arcadia V3

All the while despite mages and there silly linear games games the fae had a plan for they are masters of time aswell as fate, they saw there eventual defeat and transformation at the contract they would be forced to enter. So many of them jumped backwards along there own timestream creating countless bubble universes in the process endless loops of the same entity knowing there defeat to be at a particular time they could make that time never pass or pass in such a distant moment that the universe will have wound down by then, itenerations of the same fae. now cut off from the realms fallen unable to really exsist alone there final trick was to forge a bridge together across time that allows them to cross to the dominant timestream Fallen Realm V99.435.112 Whatever known as the hedge by mortals, because otherwise leaving normally from this time would lead you to the old realms fallen. (Atlantis in the abyss?)

What the Changelings see is the Truly wild Arcadia full of pure insanity untouched by anthropomorphic hands. Mages see the organized hierarchy of the post fall world.
                          Either way physically visiting there is not a good idea.

Comment

The basic rule of thumb is that Mage lumps any form of existing gateway together as an "Iris"; many require some specific means of opening them called a "key" in Mage-Lexicon, and opening one without the proper key is always a Weaving spell of the appropriate Arcanum.

Head to your nearest graveyard and pop open the Avernian gate? Death 3. Open a hole in the Gauntlet that only opens under a bood moon? Spirit 3. Make that alley that leads from New York to Chicago without having to circle the block three times clockwise? Space 3.

Opening an existing Hedge gate is Fate 3.

Making an Iris when you don't have one available is always a Making spell. So, a Master of fate can rip their way out of the Hedge without a doorway, same way Death five has a spell to create Avernian gateways. Everyone else will be stuck looking for the exit.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                              Changeling!Arcadia and Mage!Arcadia are totally different realms in Second Editions. In First Edition it was not so nice and clean, so DaveB and devs team made a call to separate them, once and for all.

From Mage cosmology standpoint, Changeling!Arcadia can be seen as Lower Depths realm emulating some symbols of Supernal Arcadia. True Fae could be banished Supernal Beings rulers of the realm by the Exarchs, but they adapted to the Hedge and Faerie rules.

As to Magicians and Once Upon a Time - we have exactly like this topic few days ago on general CoD subforum. Here is the link.
                              From a Mage perspective, Changeling!Arcadia can also be seen as the Supernal Realms of the Old Gods of Thistle (similar to, but distinct from, the Realm of the Watchtower of the Lunargent Thorn) with exactly as much legitimacy as the Lower Depths theory — the point being that both are just theories. All that's known for sure is that Mage!Arcadia and Changeling!Arcadia are separate and distinct places; how, or even if, Changeling!Arcadia fits into Mage cosmology is a Mystery.
                              Last edited by Dataweaver; 02-01-2019, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X