• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redzone View Post
    Concentrated Effort (Mind 3)
    Practice: Weaving
    Primary Factor: Potency
    Withstand: N/A
    Suggested Rote Skills: Empathy, Expression, Socialize

This spell imbues its target with supernatural determination and dedication to complete any task. When the target of this spell spends a point of Willpower to add a +3 die bonus to a dice pool or +2 to a Resistance trait, the bonus applies to all dice pools or to that Resistance trait for a number of rolls equal to the spell Potency.

+1 Reach: Spending a point of Willpower will both add the +3 die bonus and +2 to a Resistance trait.
    +1 Reach: Spending a point of Willpower to add +2 to a Resistance trait will instead add +2 to all Resistance traits.
    +2 Reach: Spend a point of Mana. The mage can cast this spell as a reflexive action.
    Its good to see a very Mastigos approach to magical defenses. It uses a more limited pool compared to Wards and Signs, but is applicable in more cases without conjunctional Arcana and is frighteningly effective.

I think that is a Perfecting rather than a Weaving. Weaving means you are changing the properties within that Arcanum's purview, Perfecting means that you are enhancing them. For example, you could use a Perfecting to make a computer more energy efficient and therefore have perpetual motion. Meanwhile, a Weaving could make a fire cause freezing damage rather than burns.

Since you are perfecting Willpower itself, I think its considered increasing a stat (like Augment Mind or Honing the Form) rather than granting a temporary bonus to equipment use (such as what Finding the Balance and Exceptional Luck do), so it should probably not be limited in uses. I think the balancing factor is how much Willpower the user has available and whether they have the time to recover it between frequent uses.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists
    The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate

Comment

• I'm trying to create a few spells to interact with vampires. These three spells are the result:

==//==
      * Channel Vitae (Life 3)
      Withstand: Composure
      Suggested Rote Skills: Medicine, Occult, Socialize

This spell allows the mage to move a quantity of Vitae equal to the spell's Potency between one or more suitable vessels it can touch. "Suitable vessels" means creatures and/or objects naturally capable of storing Vitae, such as ghouls, vampires or a specially prepared vessels. When moving Vitae with this spell, the mage must respect its Gnosis-derived Mana per turn limit.

+1 Reach: The mage may ignore its Mana per turn limit, channeling as much Vitae as it desires as an instant action.

* Vitae Hoarding (Life 2)
      Practice: Ruling
      Primary Factor: Duration
      Withstand: Resolve
      Suggested Rote Skills: Medicine, Occult, Survival

This spell bestows upon a living creature the ability to store Vitae within its Pattern. Storing Vitae in this fashion does not create ghouls.
      Add Matter 2: this spell can target a container designed to hold liquids instead of a living creature.

* Vitae Scouring (Life 3)
      Practice: Fraying
      Withstand: Resolve
      Suggested Rote Skills: Medicine, Occult, Survival

The mage Scour the target’s Pattern to produce Vitae – the substance that sustain a vampire’s unnatural condition. The subject must have at least one Health box filled with either lethal or aggravated damage. For each level of Potency, the mage may take one point of Vitae, dealing one lethal damage in the process, causing existing wounds to open and bleed. Using this spell
      counts towards the limit of times per day a mage can Scour his Pattern.
      Add Death 3: the produced Vitae is as concentrated as vampiric Vitae, fulfilling the feeding restriction of vampires who can only gain nourishment from the blood of the unnatural.
      Add Spirit 3: the produced Vitae is treated as werewolf Vitae.

+1 Reach: The mage may affect a healthy subject with this spell instead of one who has recently taken damage.
      +1 Reach: The spell does not count toward the limit of times per day a mage can Scour his Pattern.

==//==

That said, i'm trying to figure how to make the Changeling-related versions of these spells to affect Glamour. Fate arcanum maybe?

"The universe is basically an animal. It grazes on the ordinary. It creates infinite idiots just to eat them."

Comment

• Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post

Its good to see a very Mastigos approach to magical defenses. It uses a more limited pool compared to Wards and Signs, but is applicable in more cases without conjunctional Arcana and is frighteningly effective.

I think that is a Perfecting rather than a Weaving. Weaving means you are changing the properties within that Arcanum's purview, Perfecting means that you are enhancing them. For example, you could use a Perfecting to make a computer more energy efficient and therefore have perpetual motion. Meanwhile, a Weaving could make a fire cause freezing damage rather than burns.

Since you are perfecting Willpower itself, I think its considered increasing a stat (like Augment Mind or Honing the Form) rather than granting a temporary bonus to equipment use (such as what Finding the Balance and Exceptional Luck do), so it should probably not be limited in uses. I think the balancing factor is how much Willpower the user has available and whether they have the time to recover it between frequent uses.

Thank you for your thoughts.
        I agree - it is a Perfecting practice, i'll correct that later.
        Regarding the limit, i'm affraid that i have failed to comunicate my intent with my words choice; what i want to meant is: the willpower spent will boost X rolls instead of one (X = Potency). The intention here is to improve the efficiency of the points of willpower. How can i correct the spell's wording to better communicate this intent?

"The universe is basically an animal. It grazes on the ordinary. It creates infinite idiots just to eat them."

Comment

I'm trying to create a few spells to interact with vampires. These three spells are the result:
          You could also take a look at these.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post

You could also take a look at these.

Thank you for the input. I didn't searched for vitae-related spells before posting, but i'll certainly do it in the future.
            Last edited by Redzone; 09-29-2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts.
              I agree - it is a Perfecting practice, i'll correct that later.
              Regarding the limit, i'm affraid that i have failed to comunicate my intent with my words choice; what i want to meant is: the willpower spent will boost X rolls instead of one (X = Potency). The intention here is to improve the efficiency of the points of willpower. How can i correct the spell's wording to better communicate this intent?
              The spell gave the impression you were going for similar rules to Exceptional Luck, with X rolls receiving a bonus of X, where X is Potency. I think its doable, but in theory since its perfecting a stat, there should be no need to limit uses, since the Willpower cost places a soft limit on its use.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

The spell gave the impression you were going for similar rules to Exceptional Luck, with X rolls receiving a bonus of X, where X is Potency. I think its doable, but in theory since its perfecting a stat, there should be no need to limit uses, since the Willpower cost places a soft limit on its use.

Do you mean spend 1 willpower to add +3 to all rolls during the spell Duration?

Comment

Do you mean spend 1 willpower to add +3 to all rolls during the spell Duration?
                  I think my confusion is due to the bonuses being controlled by Reach, having fixed values rather than being modulated via spell factors. I would probably define the spell as adding [Potency] to the dice bonus of Willpower expenditure.

The bonus would be capped at 8 (base value of 3 + trait bonus limit of 5), pushing beyond that requiring a Reach and a point of mana.

For 1 Reach, Potency can be allocated at a 1 to 1 ratio to boost all resistance traits instead, with a bonus beyond 7 (base of 2 + 5 trait bonus) requiring spending a Reach and a mana.

For 2 Reach and a mana, you can cast the spell reflexively. Because just like Fate can have lucky twists, a person can summon colossal Willpower at times.

In this case, the spell was composed by using the framework of Augment Mind and mixing it a bit with Exceptional Luck. Sure, you could use a combined spell to mix one version that focused only on the dice bonus and another only on resistance, but that forces you to Reach more or expend more resources to mitigate Paradox.

Comment

• Gordian Blade (Prime ••••)
                    Practice: Unraveling
                    Suggested Rote Skills: Brawl, Firearms, Weaponry

When Alexander cut the Gordian Knot, he demonstrated that some problems are best solved with straightforward methods. While they strive to capture targets alive, Sentinels have long learned to appreciate the simple effectiveness of smashing the quarry's magical defenses and damaging them in one swift motion.

So it stands that more dangerous Consilia have taken to providing a weapon enchanted with this rote as a badge of office. Some have a specific Order procure it (the Forge Masters of the Arrow and Libertines are especially popular), as a cooperative gesture of all Orders or even as an inheritance, having each new Sentinel improve upon it as a rite of initiation. Consilia with a lesser care for tradition or with more resilient foes tend to favor using it on a simple, yet effective tool: bundles of dynamite.

This enchants a weapon so that it is able to cut through magic, applying its damage modifier as the potency of a Supernal Dispellation, which suppresses the spell for the duration. The user must actively attack the source of the magic to do so.

When cutting through AoE spells, an attack in any point of it will do, but this spell must have the appropriate Scale factor to affect it.

With conjunctional Fate 1, spells can be selectively suppressed.

With other conjunctional Arcanum, it can cut through their respective phenomena (ghost Numina, werewolf Gifts, etc).

+2 Reach: The effects of the dispellation are Lasting.

Comment

Gordian Blade (Prime ••••)
                      Practice: Unraveling
                      Suggested Rote Skills: Brawl, Firearms, Weaponry

When Alexander cut the Gordian Knot, he demonstrated that some problems are best solved with straightforward methods. While they strive to capture targets alive, Sentinels have long learned to appreciate the simple effectiveness of smashing the quarry's magical defenses and damaging them in one swift motion.

So it stands that more dangerous Consilia have taken to providing a weapon enchanted with this rote as a badge of office. Some have a specific Order procure it (the Forge Masters of the Arrow and Libertines are especially popular), as a cooperative gesture of all Orders or even as an inheritance, having each new Sentinel improve upon it as a rite of initiation. Consilia with a lesser care for tradition or with more resilient foes tend to favor using it on a simple, yet effective tool: bundles of dynamite.

This enchants a weapon so that it is able to cut through magic, applying its damage modifier as the potency of a Supernal Dispellation, which suppresses the spell for the duration. The user must actively attack the source of the magic to do so.

When cutting through AoE spells, an attack in any point of it will do, but this spell must have the appropriate Scale factor to affect it.

With conjunctional Fate 1, spells can be selectively suppressed.

With other conjunctional Arcanum, it can cut through their respective phenomena (ghost Numina, werewolf Gifts, etc).

+2 Reach: The effects of the dispellation are Lasting.

This is more of an imbued item of Supernal dispellation than a spell, to be honest

Comment

• Originally posted by MovingMind View Post

This is more of an imbued item of Supernal dispellation than a spell, to be honest
                        That was my first thought as well, but normally the casting would require you to do that exclusively, making the simultaneous attack impossible. I was going for something more akin to the Warden's swords from the Dresden Files, so this is essentially building on Ephemeral Enchantment, but with more of a dispellation focused angle.

Comment

That was my first thought as well, but normally the casting would require you to do that exclusively, making the simultaneous attack impossible. I was going for something more akin to the Warden's swords from the Dresden Files, so this is essentially building on Ephemeral Enchantment, but with more of a dispellation focused angle.
                          I think it'd still be an Imbued Item, but with an always-on Supernal Dispellation effect, rather than an activated one.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

• Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

I think it'd still be an Imbued Item, but with an always-on Supernal Dispellation effect, rather than an activated one.
                            Interesting, I had assumed that the dispellation effect could only be used once and then you would have to wait for the mage's Gnosis ritual time to use it again. But it isn't an attack, so I guess that doesn't apply. I think perhaps this can be done as either an enhancement or an imbuement.

Which brings me to a related question, can Weaving be used to enchant an item with a constant effect ? For example, with Fate 5, anyone who wields a weapon becomes Destined to use it to protect the creator's cabal or Doomed to be undone by a new user who will ?

Is it also possible for Unveiling to be used in reverse, rather than making something perceivable by the caster's senses, make it visible to everyone ? Such as a Mind mage creating a visual aid to showcase their memories or ideas ? It would probably be clear its an illusion, but could make for a cool way to share the data collected on a Mystery so far.

Comment

Interesting, I had assumed that the dispellation effect could only be used once and then you would have to wait for the mage's Gnosis ritual time to use it again. But it isn't an attack, so I guess that doesn't apply. I think perhaps this can be done as either an enhancement or an imbuement.

Which brings me to a related question, can Weaving be used to enchant an item with a constant effect ? For example, with Fate 5, anyone who wields a weapon becomes Destined to use it to protect the creator's cabal or Doomed to be undone by a new user who will ?

Is it also possible for Unveiling to be used in reverse, rather than making something perceivable by the caster's senses, make it visible to everyone ? Such as a Mind mage creating a visual aid to showcase their memories or ideas ? It would probably be clear its an illusion, but could make for a cool way to share the data collected on a Mystery so far.
                              I'd say yes to both. The Imbument rules, even in Signs of Sorcery, are a bit vague on what can be accomplished, in my opinion a Supernally imbued item should be able to replicate any magical item you can think of from fiction so long as it doesn't require Arcana 6+. As for extending Unveiling to everyone, that'd just be an Unveiling spell with additional targets or area. For your Destiny example: sure, the target would be "whoever possesses this blade."

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

• I need me some illusion magic:

Hologram (Forces •••)
                                Suggested Rote Skills: Science, Larceny, Expression
                                The Mage weaves ambient light and sound to create a static illusion. The illusion can contain whatever visual and audio elements the Mage can imagine (limited by the spell’s Scale factor), though this spell alone is not sufficient to create Tilts, and the Storyteller may require a Skill roll for particularly complex illusions (for instance, to accurately recreate the interior of a circuit board).
                                By default, the illusion is static (i.e. it will not appear to move, and can only emit a single continuous noise), but so long as the spell remains under the Mage’s control, he may concentrate as an Instant action to “animate” the illusion for a turn, or even completely change it’s nature within the bounds of the spell’s Factors. The illusion’s point of origin may move at a Speed equal to the Size of the Scale Factor plus Potency.
                                The illusions are “real” in the sense that they are formed from actual photons and soundwaves, and the Mage adds the spell’s Potency as a bonus to any rolls made to deceive observers with the illusion.
                                Add Matter •: The Mage can also add taste or olfactory qualities to the illusion.
                                Add Mind •: The Mage can delegate control of the illusion to his subconsciousness, allowing it to be dynamic, e.g. illusory flames will flicker, a human will appear to breath. However, the illusion will merely repeat the basic movements specified by the mage, and cannot change in response to its surroundings.
                                +1 Reach: By subtle manipulation of kinetic forces, the illusion acquires a tactile element. When interacted with, it will “feel” real, though it cannot actually exert much appreciable force on anything.
                                +1 Reach and Mind •: The Mage may define the illusion’s behavior in general terms, and it will act and react as appropriate for its environment without any conscious input from the mage.

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

Working...
                                X