• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scriptorian View Post
    I need me some illusion magic:

Hologram (Forces •••)
    Practice: Weaving
    Primary Factor: Duration
    Suggested Rote Skills: Science, Larceny, Expression
    The Mage weaves ambient light and sound to create a static illusion. The illusion can contain whatever visual and audio elements the Mage can imagine (limited by the spell’s Scale factor), though this spell alone is not sufficient to create Tilts, and the Storyteller may require a Skill roll for particularly complex illusions (for instance, to accurately recreate the interior of a circuit board).
    By default, the illusion is static (i.e. it will not appear to move, and can only emit a single continuous noise), but so long as the spell remains under the Mage’s control, he may concentrate as an Instant action to “animate” the illusion for a turn, or even completely change it’s nature within the bounds of the spell’s Factors. The illusion’s point of origin may move at a Speed equal to the Size of the Scale Factor plus Potency.
    The illusions are “real” in the sense that they are formed from actual photons and soundwaves, and the Mage adds the spell’s Potency as a bonus to any rolls made to deceive observers with the illusion.
    Add Matter •: The Mage can also add taste or olfactory qualities to the illusion.
    Add Mind •: The Mage can delegate control of the illusion to his subconsciousness, allowing it to be dynamic, e.g. illusory flames will flicker, a human will appear to breath. However, the illusion will merely repeat the basic movements specified by the mage, and cannot change in response to its surroundings.
    +1 Reach: By subtle manipulation of kinetic forces, the illusion acquires a tactile element. When interacted with, it will “feel” real, though it cannot actually exert much appreciable force on anything.
    +1 Reach and Mind •: The Mage may define the illusion’s behavior in general terms, and it will act and react as appropriate for its environment without any conscious input from the mage.
    A very cool spell that can open the path to all sorts of Ravnos style shenanigans. I think this could be done with Forces 2 (Ruling plus Veiling). With Forces 5, you could arguably give it "substance", with a Durability but not Structure, physical properties (weight, force, etc) but not chemical (taste, smell, conductivity, chemical properties, etc). With Matter 3 all those could be added.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists
    The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate

Comment

• Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post

A very cool spell that can open the path to all sorts of Ravnos style shenanigans. I think this could be done with Forces 2 (Ruling plus Veiling). With Forces 5, you could arguably give it "substance", with a Durability but not Structure, physical properties (weight, force, etc) but not chemical (taste, smell, conductivity, chemical properties, etc). With Matter 3 all those could be added.
      My first thought was the Ruling practice too, but based on Control Sound and Control Light, it seems it's not quite enough to make free form illusions like I wanted. Control Sound, for example, can only alter the "tone" of a sound, rather than completely reshaping it. It always felt weird to me that they didn't include a Forces-based illusion spell in the corebook, especially since removing Phantasms (I never actually played 1e, but I still miss Phantasms ).

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

My first thought was the Ruling practice too, but based on Control Sound and Control Light, it seems it's not quite enough to make free form illusions like I wanted. Control Sound, for example, can only alter the "tone" of a sound, rather than completely reshaping it. It always felt weird to me that they didn't include a Forces-based illusion spell in the corebook, especially since removing Phantasms (I never actually played 1e, but I still miss Phantasms ).
        I think 3-dots is the appropriate level for the spell (which I really like). Weaving seems to be the "multiple Ruling effects all working together to produce a more complicated whole" practice.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

• So, one of the player characters in my Chronicle has just undergone a metamorphic Awakening (Acanthus), the most immediate consequence of which is that he is now physically 12-years old. One of his Obsessions is going to be to find a way to conceal and/or manipulate his age in order to deal with the societal/legal problems of being 12. Currently, he has Fate 2, Mind 1, and Time 1, which I don't think is going to let him do much in this department yet. However, I wanted to figure out what the minimum Arcana would be to start mitigating this. Here's what I've come up so far. Kindly let me know if I've missed some obvious and/or nifty solutions (or just messed up with my Creative Thaumaturgy)

Maturation (Time ••)
          Practice: Ruling
          Withstand: Stamina
          Typically, Mages are more interested in halting the progression of time, but sometimes they need things to speed up a bit. This spell multiplies the rate at which things naturally age, mature, or decay by Potency plus 1. So a human Subject under a Potency 2 casting would age 3 seconds for every 1 second that passes, but also needs food, sleep etc. three times as often. The results of the hastened flow of time are Lasting.
          +1 Reach: This spell also multiplies healing rates i.e. a Potency 2 casting would cause a mortal Subject to heal a point of Bashing damage every 5 minutes instead of 15 minutes.
          +1 Reach: The Mage may selectively alter the flow of time, only speeding up the processes he desires. So he could increase his aging rate without directly increasing his need for food.
          *I'm not 100% sure this isn't a Perfecting spell, but it is basically the inverse of Veil of Moments (Time 2). You can certainly achieve the same effects with Acceleration (Time 3), but the idea is to only affect subtle processes like aging, not your Speed.

Stop Treating Me Like a Kid (Mind ••, plus Time •)
          Practice: Veiling
          The way humans treat each other can be greatly affected by how they perceive each other's age. This spell Veils the Subject's age, causing others to assume that the Subject is their own age. This does not actually change what other's think the Subject looks like, just subconsciously how they treat the Subject. This spell may be subject to Dissonance if a Sleeper has cause to question the Subject's age, such as if the Subject is required to show Photo ID.
          +1 Reach: This Mage can specify exactly what age others will treat the Subject as.

Time Lapse (Time •••)
          Primary Factor: Potency
          This spell causes the Subject to "skip forward" in time. The Subject instantaneously ages as though a number of years had passed up to Potency^2. This effect is not Lasting, the Subject reverts to their original age when the Duration expires. This effect is primarily cosmetic, and by itself will not cause damage or reduce attributes.
          *Basically a more limited form of the Time 3 option of Many Faces (Life 3)

I'm mostly interested in Disciple-level or lower solutions. Any other ideas?

Edit: Realized there could be a Ruling-based effect similar to Stop Treating Me Like a Kid

Yeah, I have ID (Mind ••, plus Time •)
          Withstand: Composure
          This spell causes the Subject to believe the Mage is a different age. For the spell's Duration, the Subject perceives any evidence of the Mage's age (including the Mage's appearance or documentation) as being indicative of whatever age the Mage specifies.
          Last edited by Scriptorian; 10-11-2020, 01:35 PM.

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

• Stop Treating Me Like a Kid (Mind ••, plus Time •)

I don't think these need Time at all. Mind 2 can make you unnoticeable, I would certainly allow it to make your age unnoticeable, or to wave a piece of paper and have it pass for Id.

I think the rest are fine.

Comment

So, one of the player characters in my Chronicle has just undergone a metamorphic Awakening (Acanthus), the most immediate consequence of which is that he is now physically 12-years old. One of his Obsessions is going to be to find a way to conceal and/or manipulate his age in order to deal with the societal/legal problems of being 12. Currently, he has Fate 2, Mind 1, and Time 1, which I don't think is going to let him do much in this department yet. However, I wanted to figure out what the minimum Arcana would be to start mitigating this. Here's what I've come up so far. Kindly let me know if I've missed some obvious and/or nifty solutions (or just messed up with my Creative Thaumaturgy)

Maturation (Time ••)
              Typically, Mages are more interested in halting the progression of time, but sometimes they need things to speed up a bit. This spell multiplies the rate at which things naturally age, mature, or decay by Potency plus 1. So a human Subject under a Potency 2 casting would age 3 seconds for every 1 second that passes, but also needs food, sleep etc. three times as often. The results of the hastened flow of time are Lasting.
              +1 Reach: This spell also multiplies healing rates i.e. a Potency 2 casting would cause a mortal Subject to heal a point of Bashing damage every 5 minutes instead of 15 minutes.
              +1 Reach: The Mage may selectively alter the flow of time, only speeding up the processes he desires. So he could increase his aging rate without directly increasing his need for food.
              *I'm not 100% sure this isn't a Perfecting spell, but it is basically the inverse of Veil of Moments (Time 2). You can certainly achieve the same effects with Acceleration (Time 3), but the idea is to only affect subtle processes like aging, not your Speed.

Stop Treating Me Like a Kid (Mind ••, plus Time •)
              Practice: Veiling
              The way humans treat each other can be greatly affected by how they perceive each other's age. This spell Veils the Subject's age, causing others to assume that the Subject is their own age. This does not actually change what other's think the Subject looks like, just subconsciously how they treat the Subject. This spell may be subject to Dissonance if a Sleeper has cause to question the Subject's age, such as if the Subject is required to show Photo ID.
              +1 Reach: This Mage can specify exactly what age others will treat the Subject as.

Time Lapse (Time •••)
              This spell causes the Subject to "skip forward" in time. The Subject instantaneously ages as though a number of years had passed up to Potency^2. This effect is not Lasting, the Subject reverts to their original age when the Duration expires. This effect is primarily cosmetic, and by itself will not cause damage or reduce attributes.
              *Basically a more limited form of the Time 3 option of Many Faces (Life 3)

I'm mostly interested in Disciple-level or lower solutions. Any other ideas?

Edit: Realized there could be a Ruling-based effect similar to Stop Treating Me Like a Kid

This spell causes the Subject to believe the Mage is a different age. For the spell's Duration, the Subject perceives any evidence of the Mage's age (including the Mage's appearance or documentation) as being indicative of whatever age the Mage specifies.
              I think I posted some spells that may help:

For time disguises there are Mask of Janus and Temporal Echo.

I broke down what is the Maturation spell into that and Feast of Goibnui for completing things faster and Breath of Aceso for healing.

Perhaps those might be what you are looking for. Apart from that, a simple Compelling of Fate should take take of all the minor mundane nuances that do not require a social/skill roll.
              Last edited by KaiserAfini; 10-12-2020, 08:28 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

• Having trouble fitting this effect into the game system. Would prefer to define it as a Condition but I can't imagine what would resolve it. Any help is appreciated.

Carrion Curse (Death •••)
                Withstand (?): Stamina

The subject takes on an aura of putrescence that attracts and emboldens scavengers. Carrion birds may descend from the air and take nibbles of the subjects flesh, flies may alight on her to lay eggs, and ants may swarm over her as she lies sleeping.

---

This is meant to be employed as a long-lasting narrative effect that causes the subject to present as irresistibly yummy roadkill to any scavenger that might reasonably be present in a scene. That may result in damage or distraction. It's a punitive curse meant to terrorize and harass. I don't suppose I need to pin down the mechanics more specifically, but it would be nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by galivet View Post
                  Having trouble fitting this effect into the game system. Would prefer to define it as a Condition but I can't imagine what would resolve it. Any help is appreciated.

Carrion Curse (Death •••)
                  Withstand (?): Stamina

The subject takes on an aura of putrescence that attracts and emboldens scavengers. Carrion birds may descend from the air and take nibbles of the subjects flesh, flies may alight on her to lay eggs, and ants may swarm over her as she lies sleeping.

---

This is meant to be employed as a long-lasting narrative effect that causes the subject to present as irresistibly yummy roadkill to any scavenger that might reasonably be present in a scene. That may result in damage or distraction. It's a punitive curse meant to terrorize and harass. I don't suppose I need to pin down the mechanics more specifically, but it would be nice.
                  Cool idea, first off.

1. Withstand of Stamina makes sense if this is a literal change to their body, otherwise curses tend to be Withstood by Composure, especially when they are less concrete.

2. I would suggest scaling the strength of the effect with Potency and the manifestations with Reach. For example, being actually attacked by scavengers in a way that will likely cause harm could be a Reach, while just looking nasty (Social penalties) from flies and maggots being attracted to you, could be the base effect. Mental penalties from distraction and disgust may also fit into the base effect as well.

3. Unless the subject manages to protect themselves somehow or is in a place where they are safe, assume attacking scavengers deal [Potency] damage each Scene before they give up because their meal is being surprisingly feisty.

4. Any narrative side effects should be scaled by Potency as well, probably in the form of penalties to other misc things as appropriate.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

• Pythian Miasma (Fate •••••, Life •••••)
                    Practice: Making
                    Withstand: N/A
                    Suggested Rote Skills: Medicine, Occult, Science

The core doctrine of the Kyrian Ministery states that it is the duty of great men to lead history, it is their burden to crush any who dare defy their edicts. Naturally, these Seers see none more worthy than themselves and so created this rote to secure a stranglehold over power.

This creates a disease of [Potency] severity. To mundane science it is a persistent, far spreading, yet ultimately harmless symbiotic organism. Those attuned to such things know better, for it is a parasite that corrupts their very luck.

Those unable to resist it are subject to two effects. First is that they eventually experience a twist of fortune that sets them to Aspire to serve the caster faithfully. Second is that no matter how bad they fail at this or how often others sabotage them, they are Doomed to push the caster's agenda forward.

It is said the Oracle of Delphos used to have this spell active in the incense used for divination, binding the fate of heroes to the Prophet's dictates.

The use of this spell is not done without a great deal of preparation, masquerading the effect so as to cast the blame on misfortune spirits, beings of the Hedge or rival Ministries. Should the truth be discovered before the Ministry seizes the city, it would be prudent to flee quickly, rather than face the endless creativity of an entire city of Awakened with a vendetta.
                    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 10-16-2020, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Deliquesce (Death •••)
                      Purview:
                      Decay
                      Practice: Perfecting
                      Withstand: Stamina (maybe there's a better way to manage this?)

The flesh of corpses subject to this spell immediately liquifies due to a dramatically accelerated process of decay. The spell is Withstood by the Stamina the corpse had while living. The resulting liquid tastes and smells like sewage and is liquified dead bodies, so gross; those who come into contact with it immediately suffer the Sick Tilt (moderate) and must succeed on a Stamina + Resolve roll modified by Severity 2 or contract gastroenteritis (a.k.a. stomach flu, a.k.a. diarrhea and vomiting for several days after a one day incubation time). Given a sufficient volume of subject corpses, drowning in the liquid is also a horrifying possibility (Flooded Tilt).

This spell works on animated corpses (zombies), but inflicts no damage (primarily because the mechanics of that seem too complicated in the context of this spell). So if applied to a zombie, you end up with a skeleton of equal effectiveness plus a volume of putrescent sludge.
                      Last edited by galivet; 10-16-2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• Conceive Ghost (Death •)
                        Purview:
                        Ghosts
                        Practice: Compelling

The caster impregnates an applicable subject with necromantic energy; should the subject die before the Duration of this spell elapses, the death is guaranteed to birth a ghost of the subject within Twilight. The ghost's initial anchor is the caster of the spell. It's unlikely to be in a friendly mood.

+1 Reach: The caster may decide the ghost's ban.
                        +1 Reach: The caster may decide the ghost's bane.
                        +1 Reach: The caster may decide the ghost's numina.
                        +2 Reach: For one point of mana, the ghost will come into being with Rank 2 and additional numen decided by the caster until the ghost has at least three numina. This investment of mana is lost if the spell elapses without birthing a ghost.

If you see a Moros lurking around the nursing home or ICU, you can guess what they're up to.
                        Last edited by galivet; 10-16-2020, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Calcification (Prime 4)
                          Practice: Attainment this is an application of the Prime 4 Imbue Item attainment

A mage with a Legacy imbues the enactment of one of the Legacy Attainments into the stone and spends a point of mana and a DOT of Willpower. In so doing, the enacted attainment is rooted in the fragment of the mage's soul instead of touching upon the Supernal. This functions in all ways as if the wielder were the mage and simply using the attainment themselves.

Comment

• Two Ghosts, One Shell (Death ••••)
                            Purview:
                            Ghosts
                            Practice: Patterning

While possessed by a ghost during the Duration of the spell, the subject retains full consciousness and sensory awareness rather than entering a coma-like state. The possessing ghost gains full control over the subject's body and physical actions as normal, while the subject remains free to execute simultaneous non-physical actions (anything she could normally do without moving her body). Moreover, the ghost may listen to the "inner voice" of the subject host in a manner similar to reading its host's memories via a Finesse roll.

Additionally, reduce the penalties for all rolls made by the possessing ghost to access the subject's memories and skills by Potency.

This spell enables the most intimate partnership possible between a necromancer and a ghost ally or familiar: the ghost manages the meat while the mage retains control of the mind and will.

+1 Reach: The subject may resolve the Possessed or Open condition facilitating the possession as a reflexive action.
                            Last edited by galivet; 10-18-2020, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• Spite of the Vardøger (Death ••••, Life ••••)
                              Suggested Rote Skills: Larceny, Stealth, Subterfuge

Every moment is accounted for, history is set to converge on the elected and the rest are to be swept along by the deluge of history, so the Prophet has decreed. But some key pieces are faulty, a selfless decision here, a measured response there and sometimes the mechanism starts to creak. The agents of the Horologian do not stand for these deviations and have created this to deprive the chosen of their defiance, making whatever corrections are required.

Sometimes called the Evil Twin spell, this displaces the soul of the target and transforms them into a living clone with a Rank 1 ghost's abilities, Anchored to their created body and obsessed with whatever task the caster set for them. In the case of Awakened victims, they gain the abilities of a ghost mage.

It is common for the hollow husk to be possessed by the caster, their soul and body merging into them with further spellwork. This allows the Seer to have the target "be in two places at once", doing whatever is required to set the course of history back on the path the Prophet prescribed. Other times they simply eliminate the original, so that even if the doppleganger fails, the chosen one causes no further damage, but this displays a lack of ability that is frowned upon.

Once duration ends, the doppleganger reverts to a free floating soul.

+1 Reach The being created has the abilities of a Rank 2 ghost

Observation: A lesser version of this spell could be made with Death 4 only. It would Materialize the ghost while giving the Mortal Mask Numen, but would probably have a much harder time passing for a living being when under any scrutiny.

Whispering in Silence (Death ••••)
                              Suggested Rote Skills: Larceny, Stealth, Subterfuge

A warrior must never grow complacent, they must adapt to not only win, but also be mindful of how they win. Unfortunately, sometimes one must sacrifice the plum tree to preserve the peach tree. In cases where a silent and deadly strike can be the only path to victory, this spell stands ready for use.

In much the same way that a caster may be transformed into shadows, they can go one step furthet to become ephemera. This allows the caster to Possess the target, allowing them to infiltrate their organizations. Some use it to move them somewhere they can be captured or eliminated.

Should the target die or the spell end, the caster reappears beside them.
                              Last edited by KaiserAfini; 10-21-2020, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• An unusual way to harness Fate's purview of intentions to undermine one's foes. The spell's name is a reference to what Roger Ebert called this behavior:

The Talking Killer (Fate •••)
                                Suggested Rote Skills: Crafts, Empathy, Expression

A spell born in the studios of Hollywood, in the era when cheesy villains were the norm. Some savvy Acanthus saw the power of cursing their foes with this, allowing them ample time to sabotage their plans. This inflicts the target with the Evil Gloater Condition.

It creates the need in the target to demonstrate their superiority over their enemies, manifested in an all consuming drive to engineer Rube Goldberg plans or traps. The mere idea of a practical or mundane solution will always be turned down. They will always seem lacking, whether in artistry, finesse or satisfaction.

They take a beat whenever they take the time to gloat and explain their plan to their enemies before setting the trap into motion. They may also take a beat when reacting with emphasis to the target of their machinations (such as cursing them for escaping a trap), to a degree where watchers would say they are "chewing the scenery".

This condition is resolved after at least one of the target's enemies receives a powerful setback due to the plan succeeding.
                                Last edited by KaiserAfini; 10-27-2020, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X