This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post

No one's really sure how Awakened magic is supposed to be affected by void spirits. Given a very literal and restrictive reading, they would simply not be affected by spells at all, though I think that's definitely not the intended reading. Two more reasonable ways to handle it would be to either have separate spells for void spirits that correspond to spells that affect regular spirits; or to just require a Reach for spells affecting regular spirits to make them to also affect void spirits.
    There could also be spells that are unique to void spirits: A Shielding spell to reduce their spread of Spirit Blight, as well as some Spirit+Fate spell to call on void spirits, like the idigam Dread Power.
    Hmm... the Thrice-Great will have much to work about that, it seems!

MtAw Homebrew:
    Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
    New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

• Waaaaaay back when Mage 2E wasn't even properly out yet, I remember "Secrets" being planned to be in the Death Arcanum's purview... which got cut out, probably because they conflicted with Prime spells, Veiling spells, and Prime Veiling spells.

Regardless, has anybody entertained ideas for Death spells dealing with secrets? The current spells Without a Trace, Suppress Life, Suppress Aura, and Empty Presence do it a roundabout way, but I'm wondering if anyone had ideas for spells directly dealing with secrets.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• Something for the Nighthawks Legacy. Specifically, their First Attainment rebuilt as a Prime spell, instead of "Matter magic, but"

Spell: Detect Wonders (Prime )
        Practice: Unveiling
        Primary Factor: Duration
        Suggested Rote Skills: Occult, Investigation, Academics
        The theurgist learns to appreciate theophanic objects near her. She chooses (Potency) subjects among the following categories; Artifacts, Imbued Items, soul stones (including daimonomika), tass, and Mana constructs such as those from the "Platonic Form" spell. For the Duration, she is automatically aware of the objects' presence and location within the spell's Scale. She may broaden or narrow the category freely (e.g. "all Supernal items," "only Artifacts," "only Eidoforms," "only Artifacts from the Aether")
        +1 Reach: The mage may also detect places of Supernal might; nodes, Hallows, Verges, Manteions, and even symbolic places that serve as Environmental Yantras. This can only detect places of power that are currently manifest; a Verge that only opens under the new moon will not be detected by a mage stumbling upon it in broad daylight.
        Add Any Other Arcanum •: The mage can detect magical objects and locations of non-Supernal origins that correspond with the added Arcanum. The wonder's category and the added Arcanum need not match one-to-one; a spirit Fetish that conjures flames may be detected with either Spirit or Forces, and two Vessels containing different Pillars (as Mummy) each will require different Subtle Arcana to detect.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• Spell: Gird the Faithful (Prime)
          Practice: Perfecting
          Suggested Rote Skills: Weaponry, Expression, Crafts
          The theurgist projects her faith and integrity outwards. For the Duration, the caster downgrades the damage of (Potency) attacks by one level; bashing damage is nullified. She may increase Scale to protect subjects other than herself. This spell only works against directed attacks; environmental damage such as an open fire or poisonous fumes is not affected, unless it was created or controlled by an attacker.
          +1 Reach: The protection extends to psychic and spiritual harm. Apply Potency as armor against attacks that sap Willpower or Mana points.

(This one is a conversion of the 1E spell "Girding the Champion's Faith" from Magical Traditions. Specifically, a rote used by the Templars. Tried to fold in the below spell into this one as Reach effects and Add-ons, but ended up separating them.)

Spell: Crown of Confidence (Prime•••)
          Suggested Rote Skills: Expression, Politics, Athletics
          People rally to the faithful and confident, marking them as their leader. For the Duration, the truth of the subject's presence is strengthened, granting a (Potency) bonus on their rolls to assume leadership and command others. Alternatively, the spell may impose a (Potency) penalty on any rolls to legally or rhetorically oppose and restrict the subject.
          +1 Reach: The spell grants both effects.
          Add Mind ••: The subject gains the "Leadership" Skill at (Potency) dots. This is a Social Skill applying to assuming authority and commanding people; it is more rhetorical than most uses of other Social Skills, yet less cerebral than the Politics Skill.
          Last edited by 21C Hermit; 05-23-2021, 08:53 PM.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
            Spell: Gird the Faithful (Prime)
            The theurgist projects her faith and integrity outwards. For the Duration, the caster downgrades the damage of (Potency) attacks by one level; bashing damage is nullified. She may increase Scale to protect subjects other than herself. This spell only works against directed attacks; environmental damage such as an open fire or poisonous fumes is not affected, unless it was created or controlled by an attacker.
            +1 Reach: The protection extends to psychic and spiritual harm. Apply Potency as armor against attacks that sap Willpower or Mana points.

(This one is a conversion of the 1E spell "Girding the Champion's Faith" from Magical Traditions. Specifically, a rote used by the Templars. Tried to fold in the below spell into this one as Reach effects and Add-ons, but ended up separating them.)
            I'm skeptical this falls in line with 2e Prime since this seems to replicate Death and Spirit Armor.

People rally to the faithful and confident, marking them as their leader. For the Duration, the truth of the subject's presence is strengthened, granting a (Potency) bonus on their rolls to assume leadership and command others. Alternatively, the spell may impose a (Potency) penalty on any rolls to legally or rhetorically oppose and restrict the subject.
            Add Mind ••: The subject gains the "Leadership" Skill at (Potency) dots. This is a Social Skill applying to assuming authority and commanding people; it is more rhetorical than most uses of other Social Skills, yet less cerebral than the Politics Skill.
            For the Mind conjunctional I think "gains the spell's potency in the Status Merit for the Duration, this Status applies to all organizations" makes more sense than adding a skill that doesn't exist in the game.

proin's Legacy hub

Comment

• Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

I'm skeptical this falls in line with 2e Prime since this seems to replicate Death and Spirit Armor.
              I went more for playing on motifs (divine protection for lords and ministers; people in power symbolically being stronger becoming literally stronger) and doing 1E conversion (Templars!) than seeing if things overlap, so yes your observation is correct.

Then again, I didn't even think of Death/Spirit Armor this time... Oh well. Let's just say an Obrimos really wanted the effects without learning Death/Spirit.

For the Mind conjunctional I think "gains the spell's potency in the Status Merit for the Duration, this Status applies to all organizations" makes more sense than adding a skill that doesn't exist in the game.
              TBH, I was invoking Mind 4 "Gain Skill" for simplicity here, and the ability to rally people not in a particular group into your command.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

I went more for playing on motifs (divine protection for lords and ministers; people in power symbolically being stronger becoming literally stronger) and doing 1E conversion (Templars!) than seeing if things overlap, so yes your observation is correct.

Then again, I didn't even think of Death/Spirit Armor this time... Oh well. Let's just say an Obrimos really wanted the effects without learning Death/Spirit.
                If that's what you're going for then I think that's already covered by Platonic Form, gird them in holy armor created of tass.

TBH, I was invoking Mind 4 "Gain Skill" for simplicity here, and the ability to rally people not in a particular group into your command.
                The only people that respect no status or authority are hardcore anarchists; the vast majority of people identify with some group, even if it's just their nation. Status has two benefits: you can requisition resources and you add your Status dots to social rolls on anyone "beneath" you: perfect for representing universal leadership. This is basically the Changeling Crown Contract Mask of Superiority.

You could also phrase it as "gains a form of the Status Merit that is universally recognized."

proin's Legacy hub

Comment

• Rapid Access Memory (SoS page 69) allows you Imbue a spell into software rather than an object. Although it’s the software that is imbued, the spell description makes it sound like the enchantment is still tied to the storage device that the software is originally housed on (it uses the mana stored in the object, implying that you can’t just store the mana in the software).

Conversely, I want a spell that would allow you to imbue directly into digital data, such that the imbument could be transferred or transmitted between computers through mundane methods*. For example, an imbued email that casts a spell when read. Could this also be achieved with a Weaving of Forces/Prime (plus the imbue item attainment)?

*You wouldn’t be able to duplicate the spell just by duplicating the data; even if you forwarded the email, only the latest instance of it would actually be magical.
                  Last edited by Scriptorian; 05-24-2021, 11:39 AM.

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scriptorian View Post
                    Rapid Access Memory (SoS page 69) allows you Imbue a spell into software rather than an object. Although it’s the software that is imbued, the spell description makes it sound like the enchantment is still tied to the storage device that the software is originally housed on (it uses the mana stored in the object, implying that you can’t just store the mana in the software).

Conversely, I want a spell that would allow you to imbue directly into digital data, such that the imbument could be transferred or transmitted between computers through mundane methods*. For example, an imbued email that casts a spell when read. Could this also be achieved with a Weaving of Forces/Prime (plus the imbue item attainment)?

*You wouldn’t be able to duplicate the spell just by duplicating the data; even if you forwarded the email, only the latest instance of it would actually be magical.

It does indeed seem to imply that you need an external storage media to be paired with it, but I do not see a reason why the same Practices can't be adapted to infuse the software itself, even when not duplicated. Especially if it uses a protocol that is universally applied to multiple OS. The main challenge is that it would be cast using Gnosis+Arcana, which depending on the target, could reduce it to a chance dice (Sleeper or Sleepwalker) or even a low dice pool.

Regarding alternatives, I would create it using the Spirit Vessel spell from page 69 of SIgns of Sorcery into a technology spirit. This allows you to create something inspíred by the Electric Grimoire from page 59 of Grimoire of Grimoires. This generates an imbuement that can be transmitted via digital media, can be cast reliably well, has a self defense mechanism,(should the spirit be cooperative or bound to the task) and, should the mage delve deeply into this well of possibilities of this research, probably facilitate the adaptation of rote skills.

In the subject of digitally copying an imbuement, I can see how it could be done by a Prime adaptation of Transform Life, specifically the ability to pass down traits. The information can be stored in the bioelectric patterns of the subjects, then downloaded into a digital media via a Prime and Forces spell, reformatting it into software or hiding it within it. Doing this with rats or similar beings guarantees a rapid production rate. Certainly a hubristic way to create an imbued software farm, but effective.
                    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 05-24-2021, 12:57 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
                    The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Comment

Rapid Access Memory (SoS page 69) allows you Imbue a spell into software rather than an object. Although it’s the software that is imbued, the spell description makes it sound like the enchantment is still tied to the storage device that the software is originally housed on (it uses the mana stored in the object, implying that you can’t just store the mana in the software).

Rapid Access Memory should be able to accomplish this as well, the issue is Mana storage which cannot normally be stored in digital form, meaning you just need to Creative Thaumaturgy a spell that lets Mana take digital form, I believe this would be a Prime 4 + Forces 4 effect.

@KaiserAfni is correct that the dicepool would be fairly low, though, especially if it's a spell that's Withstood and requires additional spell factors; instead I think a modified version of the Basilisk Yantra or something akin to Stored Spell would be better.

proin's Legacy hub

Comment

• Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

If that's what you're going for then I think that's already covered by Platonic Form, gird them in holy armor created of tass.
                        But wouldn't that cost too much Mana for usefulness? Regardless, it's a point to consider...

The only people that respect no status or authority are hardcore anarchists; the vast majority of people identify with some group, even if it's just their nation. Status has two benefits: you can requisition resources and you add your Status dots to social rolls on anyone "beneath" you: perfect for representing universal leadership. This is basically the Changeling Crown Contract Mask of Superiority.

You could also phrase it as "gains a form of the Status Merit that is universally recognized."
                        Some part of me still thinks that Status is more concrete than that, and is more of a Mind-whammy thing than truth/Prime shenanigans... though I'll have to look at that changeling Contract, and see if I can scavenge that, and make this work.

Or make it give "the Leadership Specialty, in either Politics or Persuasion." That way I could lower the add-on requirement to Mind 2!

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

What others said, but I'd personally make it just a +1 or +2 Reach effect on Rapid Access Memory; it's more confusing to Imagine up imbuing raw data/software than imbuing a storage device is, thus there's more room for mistakes, ie. Paradox.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• Ground Paradox (Prime 2)
                            Primary Factor: Potency
                            Practice: Ruling
                            Cost: 1 Mana
                            The Mage targets a spell with Released Paradox and guides the Paradox into themself to ground it out in their own Wisdom. This spell affects a number of released Paradox up to Potency, the Mage casting then rolls their own Wisdom to prevent the Paradox from affecting the spell, suffering any consequences as normal. If cast as an Instant action this spell can be used out of turn order. If additional targets are added then the Mage can distribute the Paradox across the targets but the spell is Withstood by Resolve (subtract the highest Resolve from the amount of Paradox affected).
                            +1 Reach: the Mage gains 9-again on the Wisdom roll.
                            +2 Reach: as above, but 8-again.
                            +2 Reach: this spell can be used Reflexively for an additional point of Mana

A useful spell for Guardians and a good way to show that you're seeking the path of Wisdom, this spell can also teach Hubristic Mages a lesson or be used to prevent a Scelestus from empowering their spells with more Paradox.

proin's Legacy hub

Comment

Let's give this a retry...

+1 Reach: The protection extends to psychic harm. Apply Potency as armor against attacks that sap Willpower or Mana points.
                              +1 Reach: The faithful flock is spiritually girded. Sleeper and Sleepwalker subjects gain a (Potency) bonus to breaking point rolls regardless of source.

+1 Reach: The protection against legal restriction extends to spells that would physically or mentally bind the subject, adding Potency to their Withstand.
                              Add Mind •: The subject gains the "Leadership" Specialty for either the Politics or Persuasion Skill.

Spell: Projected Status (Mind•••)
                              Practice: Weaving
                              Withstand: Highest Composure within the group at the scene
                              Suggested Rote Skills: Politics, Subterfuge, Expression
                              A leader in any one field is dignified in a way that people of other fields respect, and the Psychonaut emulates that. For the Duration, she can apply her Status in a group to groups she does not belong in. The spell is Withstood by groups that are too far removed from the mage's own, or are particularly unwelcome to outsiders.
                              +1 Reach: The mage now may outright fabricate Status. He may divert Potency to increasing existing Status or creating non-existant Status.
                              Last edited by 21C Hermit; 05-30-2021, 10:24 PM. Reason: arrgh, the fonts and formatting are annoying

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• Spell: Locked Sympathy (Space )
                                Practice: Weaving
                                Withstand: Connection
                                Suggested Rote Skills: Subterfuge, Occult, Medicine
                                Sympathetic connections wax and wane, but a warlock can hold them tight. For the Duration, the targeted sympathetic connection does not change in mystic strength or emotional context. It cannot be weakened, removed, altered, transfered, or even strengthened. Magical attempts provoke a Clash of Wills.
                                +1 Reach: The mage may dictate one 'direction' the connection can change to. A connection might be condemned to atrophy or at least stasis, or be promised renewal and a safeguard from withering.
                                Substitute Time : The mage can lock temporal sympathy instead.

Spell: Nostalgia (Time •••)
                                Withstand: Connection
                                Suggested Rote Skills: Expression, Persuasion, Empathy
                                Enchanters can send someone's heart back in time to relive the moment. For the Duration, the targeted temporal sympathy is strengthened by Potency after overcoming Withstand. Connection can be strengthened to Unchanged, and trying to directly remove it still requires Unmaking, but dispelling this spell reverts the sympathy as usual.
                                This spell does inversely affect the sympathy's Withstand level for purposes of the Temporal Sympathy Attainment; a strengthened sympathy is easier to cast spells through.
                                +1 Reach: The nostalgia grows into a fixation. The owner of the subject connection gains the Obsession Condition with regards to remembering and reenacting her past self.
                                +1 Reach: The mage may selectively strengthen the connection, improving its own Withstand against manipulation but leaving it hard to use the Temporal Attainment Attainment through, or vice-versa. Either way, its owner feels stronger emotions for the past self.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Working...
                                X