This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
    So, is it okay to ask for help designing spells if we have a concept but aren't great on mechanics?
    Absolutely, we might even get you different takes on the same effect.
    I've been looking into how to handle using magic for large engineering projects: say, mass-producing objects or creating large, complex objects, like turning a huge pile of scrap into a supersonic VTOL.
    The first example seems like a recurring Matter Making spell (but I think something nifty can be done with Spirit instead), while the second one seems Patterning of Matter. I'll write something when I get off work

Comment

• How about if I wanted a personal pocket dimension I could carry around with me and pull things out of?

Comment

• Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
        How about if I wanted a personal pocket dimension I could carry around with me and pull things out of?
        You're in luck: Pocket Dimension already exists as a spell. Page 178.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• I swear this must already exist somewhere but I can't find it. How can Death magic be used to suppress or destroy an Anchor?

Create Anchor is a Death Making spell, but suppressing a ghost's ability to harvest Essence from an Anchor shouldn't need Unmaking, right? Could you use Shielding (Death 2), similar to Cap the Well? Or perhaps some kind of Fraying spell to weaken or limit their connection to an Anchor?

Just wondering what other approach would work for a mage who wants to exorcise a ghost. How do people usually go about doing that?

My Games
          Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

Comment

• Either you resolve the anchor, like in clasic ghost story or if you want to force the issue with magic either Fraying or Unraveling could work. That highly depends on what the anchor is, mind you.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

• The last time I played a Moros, the ST and I got a short but fun side-story out of an extended Investigation action over several days to learn what was anchoring a ghost and resolve it "naturally." It was cool, the character only had Death 1 so most of the magic options weren't on the table, and we ended up resolving it by improvising a Death/Forces spell to let the ghost send a final text message via an automatic writing trance.

If you wanted to do things magically, Death 4 "Exorcism" can force a ghost to unManifest or stop possessing someone or what have you. What you're probably looking for is a Death 3 Fraying spell equivalent to Spirit 3 "Erode Resonance," which removes the Open or Resonant condition as a Lasting effect. I tend to assume that most Spirit spells have a Death or Mind equivalent, even if that steps on Spirit's toes a little.

2E Legacy Updates
              Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
              Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
              Storm Keepers

Comment

• Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
                Either you resolve the anchor, like in classic ghost story or if you want to force the issue with magic either Fraying or Unraveling could work. That highly depends on what the anchor is, mind you.
                I think it could probably be a little more straightforward than that, depending on the approach. Here's an example of what I might suggest, inspired very heavily by Cap the Well (Spirit 2). Does this seem appropriate?

Buried Anchor (Death ••)
                Practice: Shielding
                Primary Factor: Duration
                Suggested Rote Skills: Occult, Survival, Subterfuge

When ghosts are formed, they develop intimate connections with people, places, or objects that held personal significance to them in their life. These Anchors protect ghosts from Essence bleed and provide sustenance. This spell wards one potential source of Essence, preventing the ghost from obtaining Essence from a specified Anchor for the duration of this spell unless they succeed on a Clash of Wills.

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
                The last time I played a Moros, the ST and I got a short but fun side-story out of an extended Investigation action over several days to learn what was anchoring a ghost and resolve it "naturally." It was cool, the character only had Death 1 so most of the magic options weren't on the table, and we ended up resolving it by improvising a Death/Forces spell to let the ghost send a final text message via an automatic writing trance.

If you wanted to do things magically, Death 4 "Exorcism" can force a ghost to unManifest or stop possessing someone or what have you. What you're probably looking for is a Death 3 Fraying spell equivalent to Spirit 3 "Erode Resonance," which removes the Open or Resonant condition as a Lasting effect. I tend to assume that most Spirit spells have a Death or Mind equivalent, even if that steps on Spirit's toes a little.
                Awesome, thanks for clarifying. I like those approaches, both the magical and non-magical. Forgot that Exorcism was already in here, but I think the Death 3 Fraying spell idea and exctended Investigation action are both really neat ideas.

My Games
                Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

Comment

• I'm working on a homebrew Legacy that uses this spell as a major Attainment, I'd love to get some feedback on it in spell form. It's inspired by Shadow Flesh, as well as the Dataform demonic form ability from Descent.

Inhabit Name (Space ••••)
                  Practice: Patterning
                  Withstand: Stamina
                  Suggested Rote Skills: Occult, Investigation, Computer

The mage transforms the subject's body and all her personal possessions into an embodiment of her Sympathetic Name. The subject has no physical presence, even in Twilight. Instead she exists as a sentient form of her sympathetic connections. The subject's awareness is centered on one location or person at a time which she has a Strong or Connected sympathetic connection to, and can cast spells and use Mage Sight at that location as if viewing it through Scrying. The subject can reflexively move her awareness to a different sympathetic connection once per turn. When the spell ends, the subject physically reappears at the location she is currently viewing.

The subject retains all her Attributes and Skills, but may not take any Physical actions, including oblations or using yantras that require touch or speech. She is immune to attacks or damage, but not magic that can perceive her, while inhabiting her Sympathetic Name. She can be targeted sympathetically as normal. She can also be targeted at her current location at sensory range using Space Sight or similar powers which detect spatial rifts.

+1 Reach: The benefits of the spell extend to the subject's Medium sympathetic connections.
                  +1 Reach: The subject has a Withstand rating for all spells as if she were the sympathetic connection (Strong, Medium, etc) she is currently inhabiting.

2E Legacy Updates
                  Storm Keepers

Comment

• Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
                    I really like the concept, but it's incredibly unbalanced. You already know Web-Weaver by that time so you can basically use this spell to get rid of the Mana cost of the sympathetic range attainment since all spells that would've been cast sympathetically now is cast remotely. And on top of that you can practically grant mages without Space a limited form of the sympathetic range attainment that they also don't need to pay Mana for.

Just simply casting a spell sympathetically requires a Mana. This spell allows you to transfer your consciousness through your sympathetic connections without costing a Mana. That in itself makes it broken. And just adding a flat Mana cost to the casting doesn't help much since you can teleport virtually an unlimited amount of times for one Mana, and has Scrying active for free on all sympathetic connections you can manage to up to Connected or Strong (or Medium with that Reach) for the same Mana.

Edit: And adding a Mana for every action taken with this spell removes most of the advantage with this spell. Except for the Scrying that you can't simply add a Mana cost to since it's automatic on all the relevant connections.

I think the best way to make it somewhat balanced is limit the amount of connections you can use by Potency. And add a cost of one Mana per connection. Then use the same Reaches that Correspondence has to choose which connections are used in the spell. If no Reaches used it'll default to the strongest connections.
                    I also think Withstand should be the sympathetic range Withstand for the weakest sympathetic connection the spell targets, as well as Resolve or Composure instead of Stamina for unwilling subjects. (Multiple Withstand ratings automatically uses the highest Withstand + 1.)
                    Last edited by Tessie; 10-26-2016, 01:42 PM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Tessie :removed mana cost is unlikely to be of much benefit because of increased Reach cost for Remote casting.

Scale would determine the number of possible Sympathetic connections that could be targeted.

Technically, you're not teleporting you're co-locating until the spell ends at which point you pick a place you end at. To balance that I'd make flipping between connections cost a mana much in the same way that co-location already works.

Withstand should be treated as normal, Potency over Withstand determines if a connection is actually established or not.

Used to it's most impressive level possible is going to cost a butt load in dice penalties or Reach. Establishing it against one target still isn't better than simply Scrying or Sympathetic casting.
                      Last edited by Mrmdubois; 10-26-2016, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Tessie Mrmdubois Thanks for the advice! I overlooked a lot of the basic spell rules when I was running on pure inspiration. The main point of the spell is to make the subject (usually the caster) untouchable, not to inherently recreate Scrying or Co-Location, so I hadn't really considered those implications. Here's a revised version that hews closer to my intent.

Practice: Patterning
                        Withstand: Stamina
                        Suggested Rote Skills: Occult, Stealth, Computer

The mage transforms the subject's body and all her personal possessions into an embodiment of her Sympathetic Name. The subject has no physical presence, even in Twilight- she is actually not anywhere in particular. She exists only within her Name, and can only interact with the world by means of spells like Scrying. This is an incredibly disturbing experience for subjects who cannot use remote spellcasting, akin to absolute sensory deprivation. Prolonged exposure to this spell (more than an hour per dot of the subject’s Composure) may provoke breaking points or adverse Conditions like Shaken or Spooked. This spell cannot be used on subjects that, for whatever reason, lack a Sympathetic Name. If the subject loses her Sympathetic Name while the spell is active, the spell's Duration ends immediately.

The subject retains all her Attributes and Skills, but may not take any Physical actions, including oblations or using yantras that require touch or speech, though she can still cast spells. This usually means that without some means of remote viewing, she may only cast spells on herself, through her Familiar or a soul stone, or on a subject whose Sympathetic Name she concentrates on for one turn. She is immune to attacks or damage, but not supernatural powers that can perceive her, while inhabiting her Sympathetic Name. She can be targeted sympathetically as normal. Mages who wish to remain in their Name for an extended time often use spells like Possession to act in the physical world. When the spell's Duration ends, she returns at the point she disappeared from.

+1 Reach: By using the Sympathetic Range Attainment tied to a destination, the spell brings the subject back at that destination rather than at the point she left.

2E Legacy Updates
                        Storm Keepers

Comment

• This seems more like a torture spell you'd put on someone else to imprison and isolate them. For protected existence outside of normal space a Mage would use Pocket Dimension which has all the same "benefits" and still allows physical actions.

Comment

• How would you do Flesh to Stone?

Turning a living being into a stone statue.

Comment

• Life and Matter 4. It's a pretty straightforward Patterning spell.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

• Withstood by Stamina, I imagine?

If spell is made Indefinite, does age as a statue correspond to 'life' age? If someone was petrified a hundred years ago, and you undid it, would they be their age plus a hundred? Or just their age?

Comment

Working...
                                X