Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forces 2 ought to do the trick. I think there is a Spell "Control Sound" in the book that can serve this purpose.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• how much Matter would I need to imbue the wall material with that property while i was creating it? For example, by adding ritual ingredients while mixing concrete or varnish or using consecrated tools while turning a log into wood planks.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
        how much Matter would I need to imbue the wall material with that property while i was creating it? For example, by adding ritual ingredients while mixing concrete or varnish or using consecrated tools while turning a log into wood planks.
        Creative Thaumaturgy variant of Wondrous Machine: Wall, meet sound absorbing foam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Creative Thaumaturgy variant of Wondrous Machine: Wall, meet sound absorbing foam.

Comment

• EDIT: Slightly altered the original post, and added another spell.

EDIT 2: Another edit to the second spell.

Rashomon Effect (Mind ••)
            Practice: Ruling
            Primary Factor: Potency
            Withstand: Composure
            Suggested Rote Skills: Subterfuge, Investigation, Persuasion
            The human mind and memories are not infallible as many believe, and are subject to distorting events in their own perspectives and self-interests. Those who witness the subject within the spell's Duration will remember a highly subjective version of it, giving different accounts to anyone who should come asking. Using supernatural means of observation or memory-reading provokes a Clash of Wills. Mage Sight always reveal the truth without a Clash.
            While this spell does not befuddle supernatural events caused by or transpired around the subject, most people already have flimsy memories regarding such matters.
            +1 Reach: The spell extends to supernatural witnesses. One may remember the man across the street spontaneously bursting into flame, while another may remember the same man attacked with a molotov cocktail.
            +1 Reach: The spell provokes a Clash of Wills against Mage Sight, and on success befuddles even the Awakened senses. Supernatural phenomena appear to belong to unrelated Arcana, and Nimbuses are likewise confused for someone else's or an entirely made-up one.

Subtle Occlusion (Mind ••)
            Practice: Veiling
            Primary Factor: Duration
            Cost: One Mana
            Suggested Rote Skills: Occult, Subterfuge, Stealth
            The psychonaut may veil a subject under a psychic shroud, away from prodding eyes and meddlesome influences. The subject of the spell is granted dots in the Occultation Merit equal to Potency, even if he is not Awakened. If the subject is a mage who already has the Merit, her rating in it is increased by Potency. In both cases, the Occultation Merit's rating may be raised up to five dots, exceeding its normal limit. If the subject has the Fame Merit, its effects are suppressed until the spell expires. +1 Reach: By spending one point of Mana, The Occultation Merit may be raised above five dots, as much as Potency allows it.
            +2 Reach: By spending one point of Mana, the mage may make his non-Awakened subjects elligible for purchasing the Occultation Merit.
            Last edited by 21C Hermit; 02-20-2017, 12:20 AM.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• Is Clash of Wills something that the participants know to be happening?

Comment

Is Clash of Wills something that the participants know to be happening?
                Yes (characters)

Comment

• So wouldn't they know something is up even if they fail it then?

Comment

So wouldn't they know something is up even if they fail it then?

Yes the would know that someone was messing with their spell.

Comment

• Is that the same for anyone going into a clash of wills? Even Changelings, Psychics, Vampires, etc?

Comment

• I can't talk knowledgeably about the other systems but I would hazard to say yes.

Comment

Is that the same for anyone going into a clash of wills? Even Changelings, Psychics, Vampires, etc?
                          Mages always count as aware of the occurrence of a Clash with one of their spells (and a lot of other stuff, courtesy of Peripheral Mage Sight), but generally speaking other monsters need to have some means of knowing there's a magical effect attempting to interfere with one of their powers to be able to spend Willpower on a Clash.

Resident Lore-Hound
                          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Hey everyone,

So, this is more of a Creative Thaumaturgy question versus an actual spell created using the process. I have an NPC Mage that is an Adept using Death in my campaign and I was trying to equip them with some interesting custom spells and I felt myself hitting a road block with the capabilities of the upper tier.

From the Core Rulebook it says the following about Patterning:
                            Mage the Awakening 2nd Edition pg. 124
                            Patterning spells allow a mage to completely transform a target into something else that falls under the Arcanum’s purview. A memory can be replaced wholesale (Mind), the mage can turn herself (or a target) into an animal (Life), or she can teleport by “rewriting” her own location (Space). A spell that transforms the target into something that falls within the Purview of another Arcanum, like transforming into a living pillar of fire (Life and Forces), requires a mage to know the Practice of Patterning for the destination Arcanum.
                            Death covers the following based on the Core Rulebook
                            Mage the Awakening 2nd Edition pg. 128
                            Purview: Darkness, decay, ectoplasm, ghosts, the Underworld, souls, cold, absence, enervation, endings.
                            So, this to me says that with Patterning, I could perhaps turn a ghost into a soul? Would this be possible? It is within the arcanum's purview and I am changing it to another item in the purview. I realize that Archmastery is where the creation of a soul happened in 1E, but if we are to use the Practices as a much better guideline in 2E it seems that this could be interpreted in this way. Maybe the Patterned Soul would just be a temporary replacement, but it is not a full on soul but rather something acting as one on the most basic level and thus does not have all the extensive properties of a true soul. Perhaps you can lose the Soulless/Enervated/Thrall Conditions with it in place, but you don't start gaining willpower/gnosis as you would with a normal soul. It is also of course subject to Dispelling.

Thanks in advance!

"Teamwork makes the dream work!"

Comment

• And if you don't spend the Willpower, you automatically lose?

Comment

And if you don't spend the Willpower, you automatically lose?
                                No. Willpower spent on a Clash of Wills grants +2 dice. You still get to roll your normal Clash of Wills dice to resist a power even if you don't know what's going on (and therefore don't have an opportunity to spend willpower).

Comment

Working...
                                X