• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moinen View Post
    In this theme

Stay Down (Forces ••)

Practice: Veiling
    Primary Factor: Potency
    Withstand: Stamina
    A nice way to eliminate someone from a fight is to make him stay down. This spell veils gravitic forces from target making it unable maintain vertical position. As long as the spell is in effect the target can’t stand up.
    +1 Reach: Rapid changes in apparent gravity gives penalty to actions that require focus equal to potency.
    Because without an ability to sense which way is down or up equilibrium is impossible?

This makes me wonder what would happen if you veiled kinetic forces, would that render the subject a rag doll unable to move themselves by sensing the direction they apply kinetic force or feel that push back from the matter they are pushing against? I mean I can still see them perceive pain of being shot, nerves are still damaged, but not feel the impact of the bullet. Terrifying magic...
    Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 03-21-2017, 12:21 AM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
    "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

• Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post

Because without an ability to sense which way is down or up equilibrium is impossible?

This makes me wonder what would happen if you veiled kinetic forces, would that render the subject a rag doll unable to move themselves by sensing the direction they apply kinetic force or feel that push back from the matter they are pushing against? I mean I can still see them perceive pain of being shot, nerves are still damaged, but not feel the impact of the bullet. Terrifying magic...
      Exactly. That's why you fall down when drunk or drugged. And there are real life illneses that affect labyrinth, organ that senses 'down'.

Yess. 2E is terrifying and first and second arcana dots are really fun to play with.

Edit: without feeling, cause that's what sensing kinetic forces is, youll get some nasty penalties but proprioception could still work. Maybe add some reach to not feel pain?
      Last edited by Moinen; 03-21-2017, 02:23 AM.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
        The Power of the Will (Mind •••)
        Practice: Perfecting
        Primary Factor: Duration
        Suggested Rote Skills: Academics, Expression, Survival
        The mage raises the subject's Willpower dots by Potency up to the subject's maximum amount of Willpower for the duration of the spell. This maximum is twice the subject's attribute maximum minus lost Willpower dots, or ten for ephemeral entities.
        +1 Reach: By spending a point Mana, the mage may raise the subject's Willpower dots above their maximum rating.
        +1 Reach: The subject also gains a number of Willpower points equal to Potency. The subject loses just as many Willpower points, to a minimum of zero, once the spell ends.
        Characters

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

• So will I.
          Originally posted by Moinen View Post
          Power Of Mind (Mind 3)
          Primary Factor: Duration
          Stories of women lifting a car to save her baby are not a myth. Unblocking hidden potential of human body and mind can help a mage in dire times, but it comes with a cost. Every point of potency adds one to the total amount of bonus generated by willpower expenditure which in total cannot exceed 5. Every time WP bonus is applied the target suffers Strain which means taking damage equal potency of this spell.
          +1 Reach: By spending a point of Mana, the mage may raise total amount of bonus above 5
          +1 Reach: The target suffers a weaker version of Strain. Subtract 2 from potency when applying damage.
          +2 Reach: As above but subtract 4 instead of 2.
          +2 Reach:bonus dice can now affect spellcasting.

Surge (Mind 3)

Primary Factor: Potency
          This spell simulates the effect of long lasting and rejuvenating relax. Restore number of Willpower Points equal to potency. Spell doesn't work if the target is in stressful situation e.g combat, chase.
          +1 Reach: Can be applied in a stressful situation.
          +1 Reach: Target is pumped and ready. In the next turn he can benefit from WP expenditure for the action of his choosing without actually spending it.

Last edited by Moinen; 03-21-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• I don't like straight dice adders, and I doubly dislike straight dice adders that can be added directly to magic pools. You can Willpower spellcasting rolls, so Power of Mind basically makes you a better Mage than other mages indirectly, adding another way to destabilize the magic pool system. And yes, I know it isn't infinite increase, but it's already a degenerate one.

Comment

• You are right. Add +2 Reach: bonus dice can now affect spellcasting.

Comment

• Originally posted by WHW View Post
                I don't like straight dice adders, and I doubly dislike straight dice adders that can be added directly to magic pools. You can Willpower spellcasting rolls, so Power of Mind basically makes you a better Mage than other mages indirectly, adding another way to destabilize the magic pool system. And yes, I know it isn't infinite increase, but it's already a degenerate one.
                I feel the same, however this spell is 'legit', at least with the +2 reach. The way I would handle it as a ST is that I would only allow one diceadding magical effect per roll, meaning it wouldn't stack with exceptional Luck or a prime 2 spell doing the same. I know one could argue that boosting the wp bonus indrectly should mean both should apply, but that's how I'd handle it.

Otherwise I have to say I like power of mind, but I don't think the strain is appropriate for most actions. It's magic, just like gain ability etc. it makes you better at stuff, no need for this backlash. The strain only seems appropriate in situations where you'd use your mind magic to push your body beyond its limits, such as your example of a mother trying to lift a car. Feels to me like that'd be another spell tbh, but in that situation some minor backlash in the form of bashing or even lethal damage depending on what is being done feels appropriate. That said in that case it should not be circumventable with mind magic. You may push yourself to go beyond your limit physically, but your body can't take it and Mind magic can't help with that.

As for surge... I've seen quite a few effects like that lately and the response in my mind was pretty much "oh hell no" all the time. As allways a storyteller call, but personally I wouldn't allow a spell like that, same as I wouldn't allow a Prime 3 spell that gives you potency mana. As far as the rules go : printed spells assign one reach specifically to regenerate ONE point of wp (not potency points) and even then it is specifically said it comes from a refreshing feeling like having just rested a day, an experience that probably has deminishing returns, which is why I only allow such an effect to help regain wp once a day.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• I recall a Crúac ritual in the Circle of the Crone book (VtR) that increases the dice bonus from WP expenditure from 3 to 5 as well as increasing the bonus to resistance attributes from 2 to 3. If I were to rewrite Power of Mind I'd use that as a narrative effect and have Potency determine how many times you can benefit from the spell, similar to how it works for dice tricks and for Fate's Boons.

Comment

• How would you folks write a spell that replicates the willpower you'd recover after a long period (say 2-3 weeks) of rest?

Comment

• I don't understand what you're looking for. Could you elaborate?

Comment

• Originally posted by Flinty View Post

I feel the same, however this spell is 'legit', at least with the +2 reach. The way I would handle it as a ST is that I would only allow one diceadding magical effect per roll, meaning it wouldn't stack with exceptional Luck or a prime 2 spell doing the same. I know one could argue that boosting the wp bonus indrectly should mean both should apply, but that's how I'd handle it.
                        By RAW you can rise attributes, skills and dice bonus and penalty reduction and dice effects. RAW. Each of them is a distinct category and is not interfering with the rest so stacking only applies when you have effect affecting the same said category.

Otherwise I have to say I like power of mind, but I don't think the strain is appropriate for most actions. It's magic, just like gain ability etc. it makes you better at stuff, no need for this backlash. The strain only seems appropriate in situations where you'd use your mind magic to push your body beyond its limits, such as your example of a mother trying to lift a car. Feels to me like that'd be another spell tbh, but in that situation some minor backlash in the form of bashing or even lethal damage depending on what is being done feels appropriate. That said in that case it should not be circumventable with mind magic. You may push yourself to go beyond your limit physically, but your body can't take it and Mind magic can't help with that.
                        You are right. I got that feeling too but for some reason I shut it down :P I can add something like: If the action is physical in nature you suffer Strain.

As for surge... I've seen quite a few effects like that lately and the response in my mind was pretty much "oh hell no" all the time. As allways a storyteller call, but personally I wouldn't allow a spell like that, same as I wouldn't allow a Prime 3 spell that gives you potency mana. As far as the rules go : printed spells assign one reach specifically to regenerate ONE point of wp (not potency points) and even then it is specifically said it comes from a refreshing feeling like having just rested a day, an experience that probably has deminishing returns, which is why I only allow such an effect to help regain wp once a day.
                        Don't be that guy. It's better to say "Yes, but.." but in this case there is no but. I can totally see a prime 3 spell, and I have one, that gets you a refund of some mana you spend or even someone else spend. I can translate it and post it here, though I must admit that it requiers some doze of setting assumptions.
                        Printed spells regenerate one wp because they are not mind spells. Would you say that life can't heal lethal cause you can only heal them naturally once every 2 days? I don't think so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                          I recall a Crúac ritual in the Circle of the Crone book (VtR) that increases the dice bonus from WP expenditure from 3 to 5 as well as increasing the bonus to resistance attributes from 2 to 3. If I were to rewrite Power of Mind I'd use that as a narrative effect and have Potency determine how many times you can benefit from the spell, similar to how it works for dice tricks and for Fate's Boons.

I feel like this could be a Ruling spell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enlightened_Milkman View Post
                            How would you folks write a spell that replicates the willpower you'd recover after a long period (say 2-3 weeks) of rest?

Well. We just did. Surge and Power of the Will can both do that if cast with enough potency. If you are asking for an all or nothing effect it seems to be a Making spell that just gives you all WP. Patterning might give you 2 WP per potency but its not what youre asking I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moinen View Post

Don't be that guy. It's better to say "Yes, but.." but in this case there is no but. I can totally see a prime 3 spell, and I have one, that gets you a refund of some mana you spend or even someone else spend. I can translate it and post it here, though I must admit that it requiers some doze of setting assumptions.
                              Printed spells regenerate one wp because they are not mind spells. Would you say that life can't heal lethal cause you can only heal them naturally once every 2 days? I don't think so.
                              It's better, but not allways feasable. I allowed such spells at mastery where you can literally just create the energies exnihilo. That said I tend to downscale the powerscale of mage games (ascension or awakening) a bit to suit my personal tastes. Many people feel different and that's fine, just my personal way of doing things. That said you're wrong. There is a life spell that does the same, yes, but this is also a reach option for the Mind 3 spell "Clear Thoughts".

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Honestly, I would make Power of Mind Duration Primary spell with effect of making your Willpower gaining 9 again, and reach options allowing making it 8 again, boosting the Willpower effect to +5.
                                Maybe even reach with 1 Mana, gain ability to bestow Rote quality upon one Willpowered roll in exchange for ending the spell prematurely.

Comment

Working...
                                X