Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would anyone restore their Willpower with magic responsibly when they could instead do something incredibly unwise?
    ----------------------------
    The Snake Within (Mind •••)
    Practice: Perfecting
    Primary Factor: Potency
    Suggested Rote Skills: Politics, Empathy, Streetwise

The next time during this spell's duration that its subject would recover Willpower from indulging their Vice, they recover a number of points equal to the spell's Potency, instead of the usual one. If this value exceeds their Resolve, they will develop a Condition related to the rush of the experience, such as Addicted, Guilty, or Obsession.

+1 Reach and 1 mana: The subject may recover Willpower from their Vice under the auspices of this spell even if they have already indulged their Vice in that scene.

I attack people with giant insects both on and off the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flinty View Post

It's better, but not allways feasable. I allowed such spells at mastery where you can literally just create the energies exnihilo. That said I tend to downscale the powerscale of mage games (ascension or awakening) a bit to suit my personal tastes. Many people feel different and that's fine, just my personal way of doing things. That said you're wrong. There is a life spell that does the same, yes, but this is also a reach option for the Mind 3 spell "Clear Thoughts".
      Ow, yea. It is. But I don't see a difference between healing body and healing mind. Hmm. I could even see a Mind spell that heals body. Something like a reach option to cut in half the time in which bashing damage heals.

Originally posted by WHW View Post
      Honestly, I would make Power of Mind Duration Primary spell with effect of making your Willpower gaining 9 again, and reach options allowing making it 8 again, boosting the Willpower effect to +5.
      Maybe even reach with 1 Mana, gain ability to bestow Rote quality upon one Willpowered roll in exchange for ending the spell prematurely.
      I think that those would be two spells. First would be Generic Dice Trick (Mind 2) - 9 again with 8 again as reach for a number of rolls equal to potency and Generic Rote Quality (Mind 3) - 1 mana of basic cost for rote quality for a number of rolls equal to potency. Both could benefit from reach boosting willpower to +5 I think.
      Last edited by Moinen; 03-21-2017, 06:21 PM.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

• Originally posted by Five Eyes View Post
        Why would anyone restore their Willpower with magic responsibly when they could instead do something incredibly unwise?
        ----------------------------
        The Snake Within (Mind •••)
        Suggested Rote Skills: Politics, Empathy, Streetwise

The next time during this spell's duration that its subject would recover Willpower from indulging their Vice, they recover a number of points equal to the spell's Potency, instead of the usual one. If this value exceeds their Resolve, they will develop a Condition related to the rush of the experience, such as Addicted, Guilty, or Obsession.

+1 Reach and 1 mana: The subject may recover Willpower from their Vice under the auspices of this spell even if they have already indulged their Vice in that scene.

Very nice. Mana cost might be not necessary like in Devouring the Slain. And I would add reach to prevent the condition. And then the next one to get a positive one in the process. Because why not.

Comment

• Those reach options would be
          1.) Responsible
          2.) Wise
          And that's the sort of Guardians thinking I will not tolerate under my roof.

(But really, I would not do that because why should a spell include Reach options that make it less exciting? Additional Reach options that rob a spell of its texture may be desirable to characters but they're meh for table play, where we want more Reaching to be risky and irresponsible and we want the use of magic to involve the occasional unintended consequence.)

I attack people with giant insects both on and off the court.

Comment

• I totally understand you and I like your spell. But Reach effect are made to bypass initial limitations of the spell. Characters are mages who like their spell safe and have means to do it. Besides it's 3 Reaches without spell factors. Either have it as a Rote or cast it with risk of paradox. The more Reach effects to tease the player the better IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
              I don't understand what you're looking for. Could you elaborate?
              Could you use a spell to recover willpower as 'easily' as you can recover health after a fight. There's no reason in particular why I need such a spell I was just planning out eventualities before my PC's try something.

Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

• Any spell can potentially recover willpower if you score Exceptional Success on it. Mind 3 has a spell that allows you to restore Willpower as a reach option; cast it multiple times, and you are good to go.

Mages generally are less limited by their ability to recover WP, and more by their ability to have only as many of them on them at once. They can easily recover when they have a minute or two of calm, but when they need Willpower, they can burn through their whole tank in round or two [no, seriously].

Comment

• Originally posted by Enlightened_Milkman View Post
                  Could you use a spell to recover willpower as 'easily' as you can recover health after a fight. There's no reason in particular why I need such a spell I was just planning out eventualities before my PC's try something.

Sorry for the confusion.
                  If you want a spell that straight up grants Willpower points the way Knit and Mend heals damage:

Originally posted by Moinen View Post
                  Surge (Mind 3)[/SIZE]
                  This spell simulates the effect of long lasting and rejuvenating relax. Restore number of Willpower Points equal to potency. Spell doesn't work if the target is in stressful situation e.g combat, chase.
                  +1 Reach: Can be applied in a stressful situation.
                  +1 Reach: Target is pumped and ready. In the next turn he can benefit from WP expenditure for the action of his choosing without actually spending it.
                  But if you want to use it after a fight you could just as well recast your Praxes until you've filled up due to Exceptional Successes as WHW points out. Then you wouldn't have the Mind 3 requirement.

Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Devouring the Slain also allows you to plunder victims Willpower instead of health.
                    It's really fun when used together with a big fuckoff nuke that leaves targets Stunned, because if you drained their Willpower to 0 [and Storyteller system tends to assume non PCs have a WP or two at max, maybe three if they are important, so nuking their willpower is easier than nuking their whole healthbar], they can't break the Stun with Willpower.

Comment

• Transplant Momentum(Forces •••)

Practice: Weaving
                      Primary Factor: Duration

“When fighting a Disciple of Forces make sure he can’t use it on you.” - someone who got propelled by a train and lived to tell a tale.

With this spell a mage can weave and exchange momentum of two objects. If affecting a moving train and a bench the train will stop in minute and the bench will leap in a geographical direction of where the vehicle was heading, most likely ripping itself from the ground.
                      When exchanging momentum objects slow down or speed up 10 Speed per turn. Their size matters too. Calculate the difference in size: add to Speed of the smaller one with 1 to 10 ratio, and subtract from the Speed of the larger one.

Example:
                      Target Speed After Exchange Size Difference
                      in Size
                      Exchange
                      with Size
                      Motorcycle 40 120 7 +3 150
                      Car 120 40 10 -3 10
                      Firstly exchange unaltered Speed and then translate difference in Size.

+1 Reach:Exchange is now considerably faster. Multiply Speed exchange by potency. At potency 3 it will be 30 Speed per turn.
                      +1 Reach:Mage can now determine new vectors for movement.

It’s a quite complicated spell and I’m not sure if everything is clear or even 'correct' but I've been meaning to write it down for quite a while. I can imagine that Adept version of the spell would have the exchange speed of NOW. It would be fun.

Comment

• Under the Bushel (Mind 2)
                        Practice: Veiling
                        Cost: 1 Mana

This spell hides will of the subject from others making it impossible to be aware of CoW against them. Others also can't spend Willpower on the test. ST makes a hidden roll of Power Stat + Power for an unaware participants.
                        +1 Reach: By blurring the edges of mages will the spell assures victory in uncertain circumstances. In the case of a draw the subject wins or rather the opponent loses by giving up too early.
                        Last edited by Moinen; 03-23-2017, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• I think this would be a prime 2 spell, not mind. The reach option is also not appropriate for a veiling effect.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Flinty View Post
                            I think this would be a prime 2 spell, not mind. The reach option is also not appropriate for a veiling effect.

It can be both, I went with less obvious one. As to the reach option it's just a matter of fluffing it up.
                            +1 Reach: By blurring the edges of mages will the spell assures victory in uncertain circumstances. In the case of a draw the subject wins or rather the opponent loses by giving up too early.

Comment

• Expert System (Mind 3, Forces 2)

Suggested Rote Skills: Computer, Expression

This spell modifies a computing device by adding a program to it that provides the functionality of an expert system for any skill chosen by the caster. For the duration of the spell, if the device's user is able to use the device as a tool when rolling the relevant skill, the device provides a bonus to the roll equal to Potency. The device's user must have at least one dot in the skill to benefit from the expert system. At the end of the spell's duration, the expert system "uninstalls" itself from the device.

+1 Reach: The mage may provide an additional expert system that benefits another skill for each additional reach, subdividing Potency among them.

This spell provides benefits similar to Enhance Skill, but the benefit is not obviously magical in nature. On the downside, you're not going to be able to use it for combat rolls because your smart phone can't talk you through how to throw a punch when you're in the middle of a fight.
                              Last edited by galivet; 03-24-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• galivet I think it should be just Forces 3. Making it be Mind 3 raises the question of why you aren't just using Enhance Skill which won't be obvious either.

Comment

Working...
                                X