• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress Code (Matter 4, Spirit 1)

Practice: Patterning
    Primary Factor: Duration
    Suggested Rote Skills: Crafts, Survival, Socialize

This spell gauges the dominant spirit of the subject's current location and/or social context and modifies the subject's garb to be appropriate for that setting -- even if the mage (or subject) doesn't have a clue what the appropriate garb would be. Add Potency to the mage's social rolls while in the setting. For determining First Impression as part of a social maneuver, consider the subject to have met the criteria for a Good impression.

A mountain hermit could walk into da club and immediately adopt fashionable club attire, even if she has no idea what that looks like.
    Last edited by galivet; 03-24-2017, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
      galivet I think it should be just Forces 3. Making it be Mind 3 raises the question of why you aren't just using Enhance Skill which won't be obvious either.

Imagine that you want to grant a Sleeper ally a skill bonus. If the Sleeper is just suddenly somehow an expert in how to repair an engine or something... that's hard to explain as non-magical.

Alternatively, imagine that a mage needs to repair an engine while in the company of Sleeper allies who know damn well that the mage doesn't know anything about auto repair. But she does happen to have this very useful app on her phone...

Comment

• Also the computing device could be a web server in proximity to the mage, in which case the subject can access the expert system so long as she has internet access and a browser. Maybe you can't cast Enhance Skill on an ally on the other side of the world due to difficulties with sympathetic magic. In that case this comes in pretty handy. The web server could also be accessed by multiple people at once, multiplying its usefulness.

Comment

• Still probably shouldn't require Mind.

Comment

• Interesting. That's not intuitive for me. For me, saying you can use Forces to create a computer program to grant skill bonuses without incorporating Mind is like saying you can use Matter to create a "lucky coin" or something that grants Boons without incorporating Fate. It really seems like you need the conjunction to bring in the benefit that's under the other Arcana's purview.

Is there already a thread on this somewhere I can read to understand? If not maybe I'll start one so we don't continue this here.

Comment

• Forces can create or rewrite programs, if all the program is doing is providing an equipment bonus to the roll because it can talk you through the steps...Mind shouldn't be necessary. It's not actually affecting your Mind, it's just a really good tutor.

Comment

• You already can modify items using Matter to provide dice tricks and equipment bonuses, so it's kinda on the point.

Comment

• I'd put it at Forces 3 instead of 2 though since you're Perfecting the program's function.

Comment

Still probably shouldn't require Mind.
                    Where does the Forces arcanum get the informations about Politics in this case?

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

• Originally posted by Moinen View Post
                      Where does the Forces arcanum get the informations about Politics in this case?
                      The internet.

Comment

The internet.

Great. Generating an expert program is impossible without a highly advanced (as in 'intelligent') sorting algorithm and then actually sorting it. If it is true you could also make this spell:

Jesus Christ... It's Jason Bourne! (Forces 3)
                        Practice: Weaving
                        Primary Factor: Duration

By connecting to the digital media around him the mage is able to track target by analyzing his social media accounts, network activities, facial recognitions, gsm, gps and satellite feedback scans.

+2 Reach: Something, something, leave no trace of database access.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

• I think the Expert Program would be best used on specific programs and the spell boosts its usefulness, so if you had programs that have access to that info you could do that. Heck you could do that anyway because with Forces 2 you have admin access to everything on the web anyway.

Comment

• Unless you can define every aspect of the tutor/research program you're creating? You're going to need to add Mind 5 to make it an A.I.
                            Otherwise you're essentially just using Magic to code, which while efficient, doesn't let you do anything you couldn't already do.
                            I don't think.

Comment

• Originally posted by HerbertIsBestBert View Post
                              Unless you can define every aspect of the tutor/research program you're creating? You're going to need to add Mind 5 to make it an A.I.
                              Otherwise you're essentially just using Magic to code, which while efficient, doesn't let you do anything you couldn't already do.
                              I don't think.
                              AI is getting pretty advanced but it's also clear they're not thinking entities in their own right yet. Still, a data analysis engine that's been Supernally boosted ought to be able to do some pretty crazy things imo. An enhanced equipment bonus doesn't really seem that far fetched.

Comment

• Hi wise ones.
                                I was wondering about how to manage a Veiling Life spell to render a living veign "hidden" or undetectable, like Hidden Hoard (Matter oo). But I have some questions on this regard:
                                Would only affect a naked person?, if the person has clothes, would the spell fail?, what happens if the subject grabs an object or moves?

I would rule the spell provides full ocultation for a naked subject. If the subject wear clothes or grabs an item, the spell will begin to fade and the onlookers will detect the subject's presence, but they won't be able to tell who is. Mostly like a ghost presence. If the spell subject drops the item or undresses, he will become undetectable again.

I will be happy to read how you would manage this spell.

Comment

Working...
                                X