Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightened_Milkman Vegetation that grows in Hallows are frequently infused with the ambient mana and become edible tass as a result, that's a fairly natural process already. I'd make it a Life Perfecting spell to make plants growing in a Hallow more likely to suck up the mana than say, the rocks it used to go into.
    Last edited by Mrmdubois; 03-31-2017, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
      Enlightened_Milkman Vegetation that grows in Hallows are frequently infused with the ambient mana and become edible tass as a result, that's a fairly natural process already. I'd make it a Life Perfecting spell to make plants growing in a Hallow more likely to suck up the mana than say, the rocks it used to go into.
      Cool, thanks for the advice. The central mystery for the next chapter of my game is going to be an homage to 'attack of the killer tomatoes' and this was going to be the spell responsible.

Comment

• This is a... Pretty powerful and customisable spell, given its various reach options.
        But I wanted a spell which fused minds together, and this was the best I could come up with bar Archmastery.

Communion (Mind 4)
        Practice: Patterning
        Primary Factor: Duration
        Suggested Rote Skills: Academics, Occult, Persuasion
        Withstand: Resolve
        Verbal communication is such a crude thing, words a poor vehicle for meaning, a direct mind-to-mind link is superior in almost every aspect. That is precisely what this spell achieves, linking the minds of its subjects on an intimate level. Not merely are they capable of reading each other’s thoughts and memories, but instead they experience them as if they were their own. This can allow a rapid communication of nuanced concepts otherwise impossible to express through language. A single discussion held amongst such individuals might not be able to be transcribed in an entire library’s worth of books.
        In addition, this permits each individual insight into each other participant’s memories, feelings, perspectives, as well as their current sensory information. Effectively allowing each participant to exist as a combination of multiple people for the duration of the spell. Due to the potential for disagreement and conflict in perspectives, as well as the potentially addictive rush of such sensations, extended or strenuous usage may inflict conditions upon subjects.
        When this spell ends, each subject is left with mere memories of what he experienced, unless he immediately spends Experiences to have learned a copy of what was shared with him. Some Mages use this spell to quickly and easily teach Rotes to one another.
        +1 Reach: Subjects may share the use of each other’s skills
        +1 Reach: Subjects may share the use of each other’s mental merits
        +1 Reach: Only desired information is shared between subjects, the limits of which may be expressly changed at any time, and may be subconsciously decided upon, rather than explicitly stated.
        +1 Reach: The spell cannot impose negative conditions upon its subjects
        Additional Arcana:
        Prime 1: Subjects may share the use of each other’s Rotes, and may utilise each other’s Mage Sight (but must spend Mana to activate it, if not a Ruling Arcana).
        Prime 3: Subjects may perform cooperative, ritual spellcasting, utilising a combination of the Arcana of the participants, so long as each has each requisite Arcana at at least one dot. E.g. To cast a Prime 4, Matter 3, Mind 5 spell, all participants would need Prime 1, Matter 1, and Mind 1, but the levels of Prime 4, Matter 3, and Mind 5 could be contributed by separate Mages.
        Prime 4: As above, however each participant need not have at least 1 dot in each requisite Arcanum.
        Space 2: Subjects may share use of Sympathetic Links
        Fate 4: Subjects may share use of Destiny
        Time 3: Such is the speed at which communication is achieved that all attempts at social interaction between subjects are performed as instant actions.
        Last edited by HerbertIsBestBert; 04-08-2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Is adding Toxicity to something (for example, making air Toxic) Matter 3 or Matter 4?

Comment

• Originally posted by WHW View Post
            Is adding Toxicity to something (for example, making air Toxic) Matter 3 or Matter 4?
            That's changing the properties of matter, without changing the material into something else, which means Weaving.

Comment

• Originally posted by WHW View Post
              Is adding Toxicity to something (for example, making air Toxic) Matter 3 or Matter 4?
              I'd say Matter 3 to make something toxic in much the same way Life 3 can give someone tentacles. You're not 'changing' the subject you're altering a property of the subject that's under the domain of the arcana.

Comment

• Would you say Weaving to fuse two distinct minds into a single integrated mind, e.g. for forming a hive mind?

Comment

• Originally posted by galivet View Post
                  Would you say Weaving to fuse two distinct minds into a single integrated mind, e.g. for forming a hive mind?
                  Weaving alters properties, without changing the subject(s) into something new.
                  I think you'd need patterning.

Comment

• I'm trying to come up with some Ruling effects for Prime, specifically its purview over magic. These would be effects that provide a degree of control over a spell without fundamentally altering its abilities.

Could a Ruling Prime spell affect another spell in a similar way to Paradox? Examples:
                    1. Impose a dice penalty equal to Potency to the roll to cast a spell (targeting the spell's Imago I suppose)
                    2. Win a CoW to change the target of a spell -- either a spell that is in the midst of being cast, or a spell that has not yet exhausted its duration (e.g. a relinquished spell)
                    3. Change one spell factor of a spell by one rank per Potency
                    These effects could be useful if the caster has not the arcana needed to Counterspell, or (for 2 and 3) the spell has already been cast, and caster is not able to succeed at Supernal Dispellation.

Comment

• Similar question, but this time Veiling effects for Prime, specifically it's purview over Magic.

How about, "conceal a target from magic", i.e. from being incorporated into a spell Imago. The general effect would be that the subject of the Veiling spell cannot be targeted by another spell unless the caster of the other spell wins a CoW against the caster of the Veiling spell.

EDIT: I think this ought to be kosher; it actually seems a touch less far-reaching than Incognito Presence. Surely a mage cannot target the subject of the Incognito Presence spell without first winning the CoW to notice that subject.
                      Last edited by galivet; 04-15-2017, 12:50 AM.

Comment

• 1) I assume that would be a function of a Shielding spell, might be better handled simply by using Wards and Signs
                        2) I don't see why not.
                        3) You can only change factors by decreasing them, and I assume this would be a spell that counters spells as cast so probably requires a Reach for Reflexive, but otherwise probably yes.

Second post: Sounds like it would definitely work.

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback.

One more question: A Perfecting effect for Prime, "Improved Active Mage Site". Something along the lines of, no Willpower cost for AMS for the duration of the spell, and reduce the mana cost for incorporating Common and Inferior arcana by one per Potency.

Seem okay?

Comment

• Originally posted by galivet View Post
                            Thanks for the feedback.

One more question: A Perfecting effect for Prime, "Improved Active Mage Site". Something along the lines of, no Willpower cost for AMS for the duration of the spell, and reduce the mana cost for incorporating Common and Inferior arcana by one per Potency.

Seem okay?
                            Seems right. But it maybe should cost mana to cast. You can see benefits after few scenes of using AMS.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

• I recently had a sleepless night so I wrote a few spells at around six in the morning. They might not make as much sense as I thought at the moment. In fact, I almost expect them not to:

Channel Vitae (Life •••)
                              Practice: Weaving
                              Primary Factor: Potency
                              Withstand: Composure (or Resistance for Strix)
                              Suggested Rote Skills: Intimidation, Occult, Survival
                              This spell allows the mage to draw Vitae into her Pattern from a collection of Vitae (such as Vitae infused blood or shadow), or from her Pattern to a vampire, Strix, or suitable receptacle. The mage may transfer an amount of Vitae equal to the spell’s Potency. However, she cannot channel more Vitae per turn than her Gnosis-derived Mana per turn rate.
                              Vitae stored within the mage’s Pattern remains even after the Duration expires; however, she can only hold a combined amount of Mana and Vitae equal to her Gnosis-derived maximum Mana.
                              +1 Reach: The mage may ignore her Mana per turn limit, channeling as much Vitae as she desires as an instant action.
                              +1 Reach: The mage may siphon Vitae directly from a vampire or Strix, though they may Withstand the spell with Stamina or Resistance respectively. The Vitae channeled comes in the form it is bound in; blood for vampires and smoke-like shadow matter for Strix, and as such cannot be directly drawn into the mage's Pattern wthout additional Potency or a second application of this spell.
                              +1 Reach: The mage may spend Vitae to heal herself or another living subject of two points of bashing or one point of lethal per Vitae.

Vitae Drain (Life ••••)
                              Practice: Unravelling
                              Suggested Rote Skills: Brawl, Intimidation, Persuasion
                              The mage drains the very life energies that sustain a living Pattern. This involves rending that Pattern, causing horribly painful internal wounds and unspecific tissue damage. This is an attack spell, inflicting lethal damage equal to its Potency. In addition the spell generates an amount of Vitae equal to the damage inflicted, drawing it into her Pattern, however, she can only hold a combined amount of Mana and Vitae equal to her Gnosis-derived maximum Mana.
                              +1 Reach: The mage draws Vitae from the target in physical form. The damage inflicted is due to blood loss as the victim hemorrhages Vitae-filled blood that seeps from a wound or orifice of the mage's choice, instead of being drawn into the mage's Pattern. Can only be used on living victims.
                              +1 Reach and add Death ••: The mage draws Vitae from the target in shadow form. The damage inflicted causes internal wounds and unspecified tissue damage as Vitae-filled shadowy smoke flows from a wound or orifice of the mage's choice, instead of being drawn into the mage's Pattern. Can only be used on living victims.
                              +1 Reach: By carefully unravelling the victim's Pattern the mage causes two points of bashing damage per Potency instead of lethal.
                              Add Arcanum ••••; the mage can cast this spell on ephemeral, supernal or unliving beings under the Arcanum's purview. For example Death for ghosts, vampires and Strix, Mind for goetia, Spirit for spirits and werewolves, and Prime for supernal entities.

Vitae Fountain (Life •••••)
                              Practice: Making
                              Suggested Rote Skills: Empathy, Medicine, Occult
                              This spell generates a quantity of Vitae equal to the spell’s Potency within the subject’s Pattern.
                              +1 Reach: This spell generates the Vitae in physical form. Instead of forming inside the subject's Pattern the Vitae forms a pool of thick blood. When the spell’s Duration expires, so does the created Vitae.
                              +1 Reach and add Death ••: This spell generates the Vitae in shadow form. Instead of forming inside the subject's Pattern the Vitae forms a cloud of shadowy smoke. When the spell’s Duration expires, so does the created Vitae.

Edit: I realise that these spells work under the assumption that Vitae falls squarely under Life despite being used by two highly Death related creatures, and that Death is only involved when it's bound in Strix's shadow form. Another interpretation could be that Vitae falls under both Life and Death since it's life that is taken by inflicting damage, and used to fuel undead and shadow creatures.
                              Another less supported assumption that I don't know if I personally agree with is that Vitae doesn't need to be bound in blood or shadow. Thinking about it after some sleep I'd remove the ability to store Vitae in the mage's Pattern. In that case I'd add a spell for creating receptacles for Vitae, something like Theban Sorcery's Vitae Reliquary.
                              Last edited by Tessie; 04-15-2017, 09:38 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• I would leave whether or not these spells can fall under Life to ST discretion; reasonable people can disagree. Vitae's main properties when applied to a mortal are to extend lifespan and grant improved physical abilities and both of those effects fall under the purview of Life. But it also has a Mind-like effect, the Blood Bond.

Vitae Drain seems like a Patterning spell that transforms common life energy into Vitae. I advise you to consider what it would take to transform Blood into a new substance that perfectly emulates the properties of Vitae as defined in the rulebook, build the spell that way for the mechanics purposes, and then the RP flavor is that it yields VItae (walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...).

Same recommendation for Vitae Fountain.

Comment

Working...
                                X