Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creative Thaumaturgy: Fallen World Edition

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Would a spell that changes a Boon into a Hex (or vice versa) be Weaving or Patterning, do you think?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
      Would a spell that changes a Boon into a Hex (or vice versa) be Weaving or Patterning, do you think?
      Patterning I'd say after a look at Sever Oaths.

      Comment


      • Two new spells for review: one developed by the Ministry of Panopticon for watching, and another for using Time as an illusion.

        Surveillance Station is a souped-up version of Scrying that allows the mage to watch a number of locations simultaneously. It's sort of a combination between the Scrying, Co-Locaiton, and Ioslation spells from the Space Arcanum.

        Surveillance Station (Space •••)
        • Practice: Weaving
        • Primary Factor: Duration
        • Suggested Rote Skills: Computers, Occult, Subterfuge
        The mage weaves disparate locations together so that they may watch over all of them simultaneously. The mage can link together one location per Potency of the spell, and any locations outside of sensory range require the use of a sympathetic Yantra. The resulting scrying window allows the mage to perceive with perfect clarity what is happening at every location simultaneously, although an action may only affect a single place at once. For example, the mage cannot use one action to remotely cast a spell at targets in multiple locations through the window. Additionally, as long as they observe the scrying window, the mage is immediately aware of any person in the surveilled locations starting to act against that location's intended purpose. For example, the mage will immediately become aware of someone attempting to rob a bank as soon as they start their heist (although not before).

        Add Mind ••: The mage becomes aware of the intentions of people in the observed areas, if those intentions are not in line with the location's intended purpose. The mage becomes aware of the intentions a number of turns equal to Potency before the action would be committed, if possible. Quick, impulsive decisions may leave less time for the mage to react.

        +1 Reach: The mage instills a strong sense of "being watched" at the observed locations. People in the affected locations must spend a point of Willpower to obviously act against the intended purpose of the location. For example, the bank robber would have to spend Willpower to overcome his nervousness to start the heist.

        + 1 Reach: The mage is alerted if anything out of the ordinary happens at one of the locations under surveillance, even if they are not observing the scrying window. This does not tell the mage what happened, just that something did happen. By adding Fate • when casting the spell, the mage also learns the exact nature of the event.

        -----------------------------------

        The next one is Veil Finality, a Time Veiling spell that allows the mage to create an illusion from the subject's own past. Think Temporal Summoning, but without actually changing the subject.


        Veil Finality (Time ••)
        • Practice: Veiling
        • Primary Factor: Duration
        • Withstand: Temporal Sympathy
        • Suggested Rote Skills: Politics, Stealth, Subterfuge
        The mage creates an illusion of the self that draws from the self's own past. The subject appears to be in the state they were at the specified point in time. The subject's physical appearance and surface mental state appear to be as they were at the given point in time, although actual Attributes and Skills are not masked. This spell cannot hide supernatural attributes, such as the state of the subject's soul or any ongoing magical effects. It also cannot hide transformations like a mage's Awakening or a vampire's Embrace. By default, the spell can only access the subject's Unchanged history, but by adding Temporal Sympathy, the spell can reach into any point in the subject's past. Attempts to supernaturally pierce the illusion trigger a Clash of Wills.

        Add Life ••: The subject's Physical Attributes and Skills are also hidden, appearing to be what they were at the given point in time.

        Add Mind ••: The subject's Mental and Social Attributes and Skills are also hidden, appearing to be what they were at the given point in time.

        +1 Reach: The spell hides supernatural attributes, such as the state of the subject's soul or ongoing spells.

        +1 Reach: The spell also hides drastic supernatural transformations, such as mage's Awakening or a vampire's Embrace.
        Last edited by projectmoon; 08-28-2017, 05:14 AM.

        Comment


        • projectmoon You can use just the regular Scrying spell to open multiple windows, it would just require an increase in Scale for Subjects. Also doing it that way or with your spell you'd need to use a number of Sympathetic Yantras equal to the number of subjects being viewed which caps your possible scrutiny windows at six.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
            projectmoon You can use just the regular Scrying spell to open multiple windows, it would just require an increase in Scale for Subjects. Also doing it that way or with your spell you'd need to use a number of Sympathetic Yantras equal to the number of subjects being viewed which caps your possible scrutiny windows at six.
            I thought about this, yes. The main differentiator is that multiple regular scrying windows do not allow you to simultaneously perceive what's happening in each place. You'd need to focus on each one to make sure you don't miss important details. However, I'm not sure that's a compelling mechanical reason to use the spell like that. I could downgrade this spell to ruling. If it's kept at Space 3, maybe it needs something a bit more powerful to make it work the 3 arcanum dots.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by projectmoon View Post
              I thought about this, yes. The main differentiator is that multiple regular scrying windows do not allow you to simultaneously perceive what's happening in each place. You'd need to focus on each one to make sure you don't miss important details. However, I'm not sure that's a compelling mechanical reason to use the spell like that. I could downgrade this spell to ruling. If it's kept at Space 3, maybe it needs something a bit more powerful to make it work the 3 arcanum dots.
              Monitoring multiple windows would be a function best handled by something like One Mind, Two Thoughts.

              Comment


              • Played a bit with Spirit and good old psychic imprints. They fell under the purview of Mind in owod, but due to Essence being literally created and colored by (emotional) actions, it seems to me like spirit can get in on the action for nwod.

                Read Imprint (Spirit •)
                Practice: Knowing
                Primary Factor: Potency
                Suggested Rote Skills: Investigation, Occult, Empathy
                The Shadow is a reflection of the phenomenal world, build from Essence strongly colored in its Resonance by human action and emotion. A savy shaman can use this fact to learn of the origin of strong Resonance, calling upon supernal knowledge to recreate the events leading to the formation of the Resonance in question. Performing this spell on a resonant area, object or person will reveal a number of events that reinforced or created the Resonance equal to the Potency of the spell. As the spell draws upon the warped perspective of the Shadow, this knowledge often needs further interpretation.
                +1 Reach: If the Essence spawned from the source produced a Spirit which since then has become active, the mages becomes aware of this fact.
                +2 Reach: Ithe If a Spirit was spawned the mage may, in place of the normal effect, substitute the effects of the spell "Know Spirit" (withstood by the newly created Spirits rank as normal). Treat the spell as if it was cast on the Spirit at the moment it became active, even if the Spirit has since then changed.


                Last edited by Flinty; 09-07-2017, 04:48 AM.

                Comment


                • I would make that a Time 1 Spirit 1 spell, and I'm not sure the +2 Reach option should be possible since that is essentially allowing you to indirectly cast a spell on a target which is something Mage doesn't really allow.

                  Comment


                  • That +2 Reach option would also bypass the need to cast Know Spirit with temporal sympathy.


                    Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

                    Comment


                    • The spell doesn't mess with time at all, it targets the essence and yields the information of what exactly caused the resonance the essence is carrying. Think of it as the equivalent to the reach on Forensic Gaze, which does something very similar for death.

                      As for the +2 Reach action: This is essentially the same thing, it targets the essence and sees what spirit would have been created by it. It doesn't target the spirit at all, rather deduces details about it from it's birthplace. Though I can see that this one is pushing the envelope a bit.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Flinty View Post
                        The spell doesn't mess with time at all, it targets the essence and yields the information of what exactly caused the resonance the essence is carrying. Think of it as the equivalent to the reach on Forensic Gaze, which does something very similar for death.

                        As for the +2 Reach action: This is essentially the same thing, it targets the essence and sees what spirit would have been created by it. It doesn't target the spirit at all, rather deduces details about it from it's birthplace. Though I can see that this one is pushing the envelope a bit.
                        It kind of overlaps with Time imo, getting flashes from the past that led to the creation of the thing you're casting on in the present. But! You present a really good point with Forensice Gaze, and with that, yeah I'd let this fly as is. Except for that +2 Reach option, I see where you're coming from, but magic doesn't deduce, it informs and has to be used directly on a target to be able to function. If it flies in your games though, more power to you. I'm just saying it wouldn't fly in mine.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X