This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Manifest truth, with additional arcanum, namely life
    How do you envision it being used? When i read it, i thought, cool idea... you could use this to change the resonance of an area without moving ley lines (which may have other effects in the long run).
    Also, why persona? i would have thought sacrament.

I think Prime Weaving would be sufficient if you had a sample and were just "infusing it with resonance", but i guess that overlaps with having tass with that resonance and spending mana on the spell...

On the other hand, what do you think of using Transform life with Conjunctional prime, indefinite duration and the +2 reach option to pass it on to the creature's descendants. infuse the resonace into plants and animals, and make life forms that naturally shift the resonance of their surroundings.

Ahh... hubris at its best?

Comment

• Originally posted by MovingMind View Post
      Re: Manifest truth, with additional arcanum, namely life
      How do you envision it being used? When i read it, i thought, cool idea... you could use this to change the resonance of an area without moving ley lines (which may have other effects in the long run).
      Also, why persona? i would have thought sacrament.

I think Prime Weaving would be sufficient if you had a sample and were just "infusing it with resonance", but i guess that overlaps with having tass with that resonance and spending mana on the spell...

On the other hand, what do you think of using Transform life with Conjunctional prime, indefinite duration and the +2 reach option to pass it on to the creature's descendants. infuse the resonace into plants and animals, and make life forms that naturally shift the resonance of their surroundings.

Ahh... hubris at its best?
      Mostly I just saw it as something cool that you can do.

I don't think it would work to shift Resonance in an area, unlike ley lines it's basically been locked into a non-leak lattice. At least that's been my assumption since the remains of the Ascended are Resonance but don't seem to change the Resonance of the area they're in as far as I know and that's what this is based on. Since it works as Resonant for ephemeral entities however, if you stuck a Love resonant crystal into an area filled with Hate Resonance, and a love spirit Fettered to the Love crystal it would certainly be able to start using its Influence to change the local Resonance.

I figured it would be a Persona Yantra because mana from a Hallow that's intersected by a ley line counts as a Persona Yantra and this is kind of the same idea, though you don't get the benefit of having also spent a point of mana. You could double up and also treat it as a Sacrament. I could actually see a +1 Reach Option that lets you get a +2 out of it if you do use it as a Sacrament.

Comment

• EDIT: Never mind.
        Last edited by Gallus; 10-07-2017, 09:24 PM.

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

• The fact that trait increasing spells generally can't be made Lasting. Of course, there's the indefinite option, but with the drawbacks of having an effective cost of 1 XP, and can be dispelled.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
            The fact that trait increasing spells generally can't be made Lasting. Of course, there's the indefinite option, but with the drawbacks of having an effective cost of 1 XP, and can be dispelled.

The question was, "Is there a reason other than game balance?" I realized the answer was, "No, there is no in universe reason."

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

• In that case the answer is probably just yes. It's just that the actual explanation isn't necessarily known to the players. Just because it isn't known to the player doesn't mean there is no explanation. I'm pretty sure all the Orders (Mysterium in particular) has many long, in-depth discussions about Supernal magic that players couldn't hope to emulate because it's an entire field of science based on premises that doesn't exist IRL. This holds true for most settings where magic exists and is studied.
              I would not be surprised if the mage community has written many theses, dissertations and research papers on the subject of the ephemeral nature of the higher Practices.
              Last edited by Tessie; 10-08-2017, 09:12 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

• Just had a thought. This seems like something freaky you could do with Space and Mind combined, maybe? Like, you know how gangs have territory? Or there's "Parts of town" where "Those kind" of people aren't welcome, or nobody goes if they don't want to get mugged, etc, etc. Various forms of social, racial, economic, etc, etc, segregation/categorization of space itself?

Imagine if there was a spell that let you see those boundaries? Like, you could look at a city from a tall building and sort of 'see' the lines that divide one 'type' of Space (as defined by one's connections, and perhaps also the nature of the Minds) from another. It sounds almost too grand, and definitely situational as hell, but it does seem like something that a Mage should be able to do, even if it's difficult?

Basically, it's taking the geographic and connection-based elements of Space in a very, very different way.

Am I insane to think this is possible for a Mage? I know, of course that it'd be very difficult. In order to see a whole city, you'd need an insane Range or whatnot. I'm more talking about theoretically possible.

Comment

• The_Laurent you’re basically talking about Sacred Geometry at Prime 1, reason being that areas are separated like that by the Resonance in them. Like criminals will be more active in areas that have Resonance like Theft, or Violence, reason being that they’re contributing to the Resonance and being influenced by it.

After thinking about it you could also use Correspondence targeting an area to determine the areas strongest Sympathetic connections in rough terms.
                  Last edited by Mrmdubois; 10-12-2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                    The_Laurent you’re basically talking about Sacred Geometry at Prime 1, reason being that areas are separated like that by the Resonance in them. Like criminals will be more active in areas that have Resonance like Theft, or Violence, reason being that they’re contributing to the Resonance and being influenced by it.

After thinking about it you could also use Correspondence targeting an area to determine the areas strongest Sympathetic connections in rough terms.

The latter would certainly work. The former could work for some things, but not others. Think about a bar that caters to a certain type. Someone who's not that type, in various reasons, comes in. He's not welcome. He could feel it in the air, he can sense it even without any magic, often enough.

(Actually, what started all of this was the thinking of a character in a Mage game set in 20s Chicago. She was thinking about how even if you used magic to gain a lot of wealth, there were still some neighborhoods you couldn't move into without having to risk being burned out of your house, or assaulted, or worse. She being black, and Chicago having de-facto, violence enforced segregation at the time, including covenants and redlining and so on. And she thought 'there are lines, even if you can't see them' and that led her to thinking about whether magic could highlight them. The places where one sort of person wasn't welcome, and another was. That sort of thing. So it wouldn't really quite be Resonance, unless there's a "No Blacks Allowed" Resonance.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Laurent View Post
                      The latter would certainly work. The former could work for some things, but not others. Think about a bar that caters to a certain type. Someone who's not that type, in various reasons, comes in. He's not welcome. He could feel it in the air, he can sense it even without any magic, often enough.

(Actually, what started all of this was the thinking of a character in a Mage game set in 20s Chicago. She was thinking about how even if you used magic to gain a lot of wealth, there were still some neighborhoods you couldn't move into without having to risk being burned out of your house, or assaulted, or worse. She being black, and Chicago having de-facto, violence enforced segregation at the time, including covenants and redlining and so on. And she thought 'there are lines, even if you can't see them' and that led her to thinking about whether magic could highlight them. The places where one sort of person wasn't welcome, and another was. That sort of thing. So it wouldn't really quite be Resonance, unless there's a "No Blacks Allowed" Resonance.
                      There could certainly be a Racist, Segregrated, etc Resonance flavors to places if it’s the prevailing Resonance in the area. Knowing the Resonance would tell you how best to blend into the environment though, if you match the Resonance as best as possible (Say showing up in a gentrified white neighborhood in a maid’s uniform) it can be a kind of camouflage.

Comment

• Since Darkness is part of its purview, do people think it would be possible to create a Death spell that allows the caster to see through shadows? The Necromancer conjuring darkness to blind his adversaries with spells like Deepen Shadows is a very cool and evocative image. Him then tripping up over a rock because he just blinded himself as well as the opposition takes away from that slightly.

Comment

• Actually, I wrote up a spell that let you treat darkness like light, with Death 1. It's not really that different from seeing in infrared or ultraviolet. Just takes a different sort of thinking. I came up with it as a spell version for a Legacy dedicated to "becoming a shadow". Since you'll tend to stick to darkness to hide, you'd want to not be hindered by it, I figured.

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

Comment

• Death unveiling should be able to reveal that which is hidden by darkness, functioning mechanically similar to the Forces spell "Nightvision"

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Okay, I don't know if anyone has built this or not, but I had the idea of trying to create a "Doombot" spell. The general gist would be that, at the moment of your death, the spell activates, teleports you back to your Sanctum, and leaves an exact duplicate of you behind to get killed. I'm having difficulties figuring out exactly what the most efficient means of doing this would be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frishman View Post
                                Okay, I don't know if anyone has built this or not, but I had the idea of trying to create a "Doombot" spell. The general gist would be that, at the moment of your death, the spell activates, teleports you back to your Sanctum, and leaves an exact duplicate of you behind to get killed. I'm having difficulties figuring out exactly what the most efficient means of doing this would be.
                                It would be a combination of spells probably set up in a Hung Spell with a Fate contingency.

Comment

Working...
                                X