Clear All

• Some mean Fate Spells:

Erase Name (Fate 4)
    Practice:
    Unraveling
    Primary Factor: Potency
    Withstand: Composure
    Suggested Rote Skills: Academics, Politics, Streetwise

This spell disconnects a target from one of his identities. When cast, the mage chooses one name the target is known by: This can be his sympathetic name, a nickname, an online handle, special title, or the like. For the spell's duration, no one can make the connection between the target and that name. Reduce a social merit connected to the name (such as Fame, Status, or Alternate Identity) by the spell's Potency. For as long as the identity is suppressed, the name cannot be used as a Sympathetic Yantra to cast spells on the subject. If the subject's sympathetic name is erased, the Withstand rating of spells cast on him does not increase from not knowing it. This spell can erase Shadow Names and the Shadow Name merit, but requires a point of mana to do so.

+1 Reach: The mage can split the spell's Potency among multiple social merits.
    +1 Reach: The subject also gains the Anonymity merit at a dot rating equal to the spell's Potency.

Downfall (Fate 5)
    Practice:
    Making
    Primary Factor: Duration
    Suggested Rote Skills: Crafts, Larceny, Persuasion

A Witch who wants you dead can do so much more than just blast you to smithereens. She can set up the entire world against you if she so chooses, and if you've crossed her bad enough. When the mage casts this spell, she chooses something the target will lose permanently, and by what means that will happen (uranium, wasps, true love's kiss, etc). For the spell's duration, everything possible will converge to make the loss come about; rolls to help bring the target's downfall add the spell's Potency to the dice pool, while rolls to hinder the downfall are penalized by the same amount.

With this spell, a mage can kill a target, inflict a Persistent Condition or Tilt, or permanently remove access to a given merit (PCs targeted by this spell are still subject to the Sanctity of Merits, but cannot reallocate Experiences until the spell's duration expires). The means the mage chooses when casting the spell will play a pivotal role in the downfall: The target kisses the woman of his dreams, but it turns out he has a lethal allergy to a rare ingredient in her lipstick, or a calamitous misadventure involving a misplaced wasp nest leads to his impeachment from office.

+1 Reach: If the spell is meant to kill the target, the means of his death is treated as a Bane.
    +1 Reach, +1 Mana: Successful rolls to bring about the downfall are automatically exceptional successes; failed rolls to prevent the downfall are automatically dramatic failures.
    Last edited by espritdecalmar; 02-03-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
      Erase Name (Fate 4)
      Practice:
      Unraveling
      Primary Factor: Potency
      Suggested Rote Skills: Academics, Politics, Streetwise

This spell disconnects a target from one of his identities. When cast, the mage chooses one name the target is known by: This can be his sympathetic name, a nickname, an online handle, special title, or the like. For the spell's duration, no one can make the connection between the target and that name. Reduce a social merit connected to the name (such as Fame, Status, or Alternate Identity) by the spell's Potency. For as long as the identity is suppressed, the name cannot be used as a Sympathetic Yantra to cast spells on the subject. If the subject's sympathetic name is erased, the Withstand rating of spells cast on him does not increase from not knowing it. This spell can erase Shadow Names and the Shadow Name merit, but requires a point of mana to do so.

+1 Reach: The mage can split the spell's Potency among multiple social merits.
      +1 Reach: The subject also gains the Anonymity merit at a dot rating equal to the spell's Potency.
      I think I’d actually have that as a Space spell since you’re effectively eroding Sympathetic connections.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

I think I’d actually have that as a Space spell since you’re effectively eroding Sympathetic connections.
        I went back and forth on that. There's some interesting (or odd) overlap between Space and Fate when it comes to sympathy. I was thinking of this spell as an extension of Fate's connection to the Name part of the soul. What I might do is reword it so that the subject can't make or be held to promises with that identity, to make it more distinct from Space's purviews.

Comment

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
          Some mean Fate Spells:

Downfall (Fate 5)
          Practice:
          Making
          Primary Factor: Duration
          Suggested Rote Skills: Crafts, Larceny, Persuasion

A Witch who wants you dead can do so much more than just blast you to smithereens. She can set up the entire world against you if she so chooses, and if you've crossed her bad enough. When the mage casts this spell, she chooses something the target will lose permanently, and by what means that will happen (uranium, wasps, true love's kiss, etc). For the spell's duration, everything possible will converge to make the loss come about; rolls to help bring the target's downfall add the spell's Potency to the dice pool, while rolls to hinder the downfall are penalized by the same amount.

With this spell, a mage can kill a target, inflict a Persistent Condition or Tilt, or permanently remove access to a given merit (PCs targeted by this spell are still subject to the Sanctity of Merits, but cannot reallocate Experiences until the spell's duration expires). The means the mage chooses when casting the spell will play a pivotal role in the downfall: The target kisses the woman of his dreams, but it turns out he has a lethal allergy to a rare ingredient in her lipstick, or a calamitous misadventure involving a misplaced wasp nest leads to his impeachment from office.

+1 Reach: If the spell is meant to kill the target, the means of his death is treated as a Bane.
          +1 Reach, +1 Mana: Successful rolls to bring about the downfall are automatically exceptional successes; failed rolls to prevent the downfall are automatically dramatic failures.

This, is why Fate is my favorite Arcanum for offensive magic.

Comment

• One I've been playing around with a while, sort of updated to 2e:

Supernal Block Model (Fate 3, Prime 2)
            Practice: Weaving
            Primary Practice: Duration
            Suggested Rote skills: Science, Philosophy

The caster may select an axis on which his research is to be optimized. There are four choices: Mean, Modeled Deviation, Uncontrolled Deviation, and Sampling Precision. Modeled deviation means that the results will heavily skew towards the actual deviation of the modeled variables. Uncontrolled deviation means that the results will skew to clarify elements that should have gone into the model. (If more of these than potency exist, the results are muddled together.) Mean indicates that the more important variable is the mean of the examined population, so Fate conspires to make that the result. Sampling precision simply removes sampling error that is random and not indicative of the true reaction of the pool.

This doesn't alter the traits of the elements studied and only has effect as long as the duration lasts, so the spell can only help while it is active. If the selection of the pool is made outside the effects, it won't skew the results in the selection, just in the variable factors such as sampling error. The best thing is to cast it and maintain the effect throughout the planning and execution of the study.

+1 Reach (Reqs. Time 3): With Reach, the spell can be made to work with a time effect and grant results along a different axis, as well. Each use of this effect requires an extra reach. If a timeline in which the effect never took place is desired, that requires reach, as well, to tell the effect to stand down. This only makes the spell mutable to temporal shenanigans, but it doesn't actually cause them. That requires a Combined Spell of some sort. Casting without this reach and combining them with the temporal effect can be done, but the results are distinct through the timelines, then, and not coordinated.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

• thenate Why the Prime component? It doesn’t seem to actually do anything st first glance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                thenate Why the Prime component? It doesn’t seem to actually do anything st first glance.
                Fate manipulates probabilities pretty flexibly, so you could argue it could do this without any help, but I figure that isolating the most true result makes it kinda need a little Prime. That's all that is.

Comment

• Originally posted by thenate View Post
                  Fate manipulates probabilities pretty flexibly, so you could argue it could do this without any help, but I figure that isolating the most true result makes it kinda need a little Prime. That's all that is.
                  Yeah, I don’t see that as necessary. Your spell though.

Comment

• what Arcana do you need to, for a joke, literally transmogrify a vampire into a pile of ash without using fire or the sun?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Death+Matter, both at 4, but won't necesarily be lethal and will get back to be a vampire after the duration runs out, wich for a joke I suppose is ideal.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

• Before I first posted, I considered making this work like Ban where you need other Arcana to lock in the spell. I rather like that notion, but it's messy to describe.

Maybe drop Prime as a conjunctional requirement and move it to a Reach prerequisite. Something more like:

Supernal Block Model (Fate 3)

The caster selects a specific study and declares his intention to perform it to the fates. While the spell is active, chance conspires to minimize noise. Fortune favors the efforts.

While the spell remains active the following benefits apply as lasting effects to a given stage, but only if performed while active:
                        Selection of candidates tends towards a proper distribution of the sample. Treatments tend to be properly applied. The responses to the treatments tend towards typical for that sample. Together, this means that the research goes more smoothly than normal and are very close to the best possible results for the study performed. (logical errors and faulty assumptions are, unfortunately, intrinsic to the study defined and not subject to the benefits of this spell.)

+2 Reach: The spell reveals the primary source of uncontrolled deviation as a series of portents. These are often subtly encoded into the response statistics. One per Potency is revealed.

+1 Reach (Reqs. Prime 4 or All applicable Arcana at 1): The spell can be used to peer deeper into the nature of the topic at hand to reveal the results of the study on the population as well as the selected sample. The results remain limited by any flaws in the statistical model design, but no longer by the pool of test subjects and materials. The study still has the normal, optimized effects.

+1 Reach (Reqs. Time 3): With Reach, the spell can be made mutable to Time effects involving the specific investigation. Each use of this effect requires an extra reach, a bit like a charge. A spell might allow temporarily altering the past can be used to apply a different model to the study, using up one of the "charges" and revealing the altered results immediately. Casting this effect with this Reach option also permits use of future examinations such as Prophecy to use a charge and get significant feedback before the study is even run.

It occurs to me that the description could be thoroughly redone and this could be approached as a Mystery, unlocking the use of Mage Sight and Knowing effects on arbitrary scientific study. That would be extremely fitting for the Free Council, but be more like an attainment than a spell. If you do that the spell would functionally reduce to a simple good luck spell applied to a specific study. Hmm.

Comment

• Originally posted by thenate View Post
                          Before I first posted, I considered making this work like Ban where you need other Arcana to lock in the spell. I rather like that notion, but it's messy to describe.

Maybe drop Prime as a conjunctional requirement and move it to a Reach prerequisite. Something more like:
                          Supernal Block Model (Fate 3)

The caster selects a specific study and declares his intention to perform it to the fates. While the spell is active, chance conspires to minimize noise. Fortune favors the efforts.

While the spell remains active the following benefits apply as lasting effects to a given stage, but only if performed while active:
                          Selection of candidates tends towards a proper distribution of the sample. Treatments tend to be properly applied. The responses to the treatments tend towards typical for that sample. Together, this means that the research goes more smoothly than normal and are very close to the best possible results for the study performed. (logical errors and faulty assumptions are, unfortunately, intrinsic to the study defined and not subject to the benefits of this spell.)

+2 Reach: The spell reveals the primary source of uncontrolled deviation as a series of portents. These are often subtly encoded into the response statistics. One per Potency is revealed.

+1 Reach (Reqs. Prime 4 or All applicable Arcana at 1): The spell can be used to peer deeper into the nature of the topic at hand to reveal the results of the study on the population as well as the selected sample. The results remain limited by any flaws in the statistical model design, but no longer by the pool of test subjects and materials. The study still has the normal, optimized effects.

+1 Reach (Reqs. Time 3): With Reach, the spell can be made mutable to Time effects involving the specific investigation. Each use of this effect requires an extra reach, a bit like a charge. A spell might allow temporarily altering the past can be used to apply a different model to the study, using up one of the "charges" and revealing the altered results immediately. Casting this effect with this Reach option also permits use of future examinations such as Prophecy to use a charge and get significant feedback before the study is even run.

It occurs to me that the description could be thoroughly redone and this could be approached as a Mystery, unlocking the use of Mage Sight and Knowing effects on arbitrary scientific study. That would be extremely fitting for the Free Council, but be more like an attainment than a spell. If you do that the spell would functionally reduce to a simple good luck spell applied to a specific study. Hmm.
                          It's your call, it just feels a little bit redundant to have a specific spell just for research in this way when the Fate Arcanum is already filled with spells that boost ALL mundane actions that you can use, such as Quantum Flux or Exceptional Luck. It's like having a Rote to specifically boost one single aspect of a skill when you could just buy a Rote that can boost all skills for any use.

​But also, some constructive criticism:
                          ​There are usually 3 suggested Rote Skills for every spell and Philosophy isn't a skill. I would suggest you use Academics, Investigation, Science as Rote Skills for this spell. Possibly Computer if you want a slightly less obvious but still relevant (I Think) skill for it.

Comment

Working...
                          X