Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwing this in there because it's cool. Obviously credit goes to Tessie.

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
    Separation (Space ••••)
    Practice: Patterning
    Withstand: Stamina or Durability
    Primary Factor: Duration
    Suggest Rote Skills: Intimidation, Larceny, Occult
    When distance is a lie, physical connections no longer necessitates spatial connections. This spell causes one part of the subject per Potency to disconnect. The part is still fully functional and anything that would pass through the severed area, such as air, blood, electricity, et.c, simply continues where it would if the part was still connected to the subject. This allows a severed head to breathe, speak, and even eat (if someone were to feed it). When the spell ends the spatial separation is lost and all severed parts return to the subject.

Comment

• Frequency Shift (Forces 2)

Practice: Ruling
      Suggested Rote Skills: Occult, Science, Subterfuge

By means of this spell, the mage can change the radiation frequency of a given electromagnetic source: shift a fire's light down into the radio spectrum, shift microwaves up into the gamma range, or even turn the IR radiation from her palm into a (weak) night light.

+1 Reach: If applicable, the modulation of a signal can be altered, so an AM signal shifted into FM, or an FM signal shifted into short wave, will remain comprehensible.

Comment

• Originally posted by LadyLens View Post
        Frequency Shift (Forces 2)

Suggested Rote Skills: Occult, Science, Subterfuge

By means of this spell, the mage can change the radiation frequency of a given electromagnetic source: shift a fire's light down into the radio spectrum, shift microwaves up into the gamma range, or even turn the IR radiation from her palm into a (weak) night light.

+1 Reach: If applicable, the modulation of a signal can be altered, so an AM signal shifted into FM, or an FM signal shifted into short wave, will remain comprehensible.
        I'm pretty sure this is Weaving at least, but it has some overlap with Transmission, so I'm not sure.

Comment

• Edit: Double-posted somehow.

Comment

• Ignition (Forces 3)

Primary Factor: Potency
            Suggested Rote Skills: Occult, Science, Survival

The mage causes a combustible object to ignite. Potency 1 is enough for a normally flammable object such as candles, wood or gasoline; a more difficult item such as wet wood, avgas or a tire requires Potency 2. Once begun, the fire burns normally.

Comment

Ignition (Forces 3)

The mage causes a combustible object to ignite. Potency 1 is enough for a normally flammable object such as candles, wood or gasoline; a more difficult item such as wet wood, avgas or a tire requires Potency 2. Once begun, the fire burns normally.
              That's what Create Energy does. The fire doesn't yet exist so there's nothing to apply Ruling/Weaving/Perfecting/Fraying on. (Ruling is a two dot Practice while the spell uses Forces 3, which made it a little confusing.)
              Making is needed to create fire where there is none while Patterning can seemingly do the same thing by transforming a different type of energy into fire.

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• So... lighting a fire is only barely shy of Archmagery? Are you serious? It's actually easier to fly, a blatantly unnatural act, than to start a normal chemical reaction?

Oh, and I meant to type Forces 2.

Comment

So... lighting a fire is only barely shy of Archmagery? Are you serious? It's actually easier to fly, a blatantly unnatural act, than to start a normal chemical reaction?

Oh, and I meant to type Forces 2.
                  Lighting a fire is incredibly easy. Creating a fire is a whole different matter. You can probably use Forces 2 or 3 to increase the existing heat until the object self combusts, thereby lighting it.
                  The Practices has defined effects. That's the price to pay for a consistent magic system.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• So why were you saying that igniting a flammable object takes Forces 5?

Comment

• I think what he meant is that lighting a flamable object fire indirectly (like, say by manipulating heat) is incredibly easy but your spell states "stuff ignites" which actually requires Making practice.

Yes, despite it being a simple magic trick in other games it's incredibly difficult in Mage, same as some other stuff.

Comment

So why were you saying that igniting a flammable object takes Forces 5?
                        I didn't.

I said that "Making is needed to create fire where there is none" which I wrote because your spell seems to create fire spontaneously since you included no explanation for how it does it. In the very same sentence I also offered a lower dot alternative to light a fire without creating it.
                        I get that the magic system can be confusing if you're not used to it, but once you do get a hang of it it's actually a huge advantage to have so clearly defined Practices since that gives you a great guideline for homebrew spells rather than trying to just estimate them.

Comment

• It does seem rather odd, but you have to consider the basis of how magic works in Mage the Awakening. Flying is basically Patterning the forces around the designated area (typically yourself) to allow you to move through the air. You also will notice that you are not very fast while doing this since you are actually not "flying" in a normal sense. However, a Life 4 spell could grant you wings to allow yourself to literally fly.

That being said, lighting an object on fire would be a Patterning Practice (based on 1E Adamantine Arrow Source Book included a spell called 'Firebolt') not near Archmastery, but a significant power for sure. Create Energy allows you to make fire in a space that is completely devoid of oxygen for example, while not extremely useful it is something

One could also argue Create Energy allows you to use Fireball when you are in the state of twilight since technically "Firebolt" may not work there. However, I think that comes down to a ST decision.

"Teamwork makes the dream work!"

Comment

• Ignition (Forces 2)

Thermal energy is abundant and omnipresent in all but the most frigid of environments; by concentrating this ambient energy into a very small volume, the mage causes a combustible object to ignite. Potency 1 is enough for a normally flammable object such as candles, wood or gasoline; a more difficult item such as wet wood, avgas or a tire requires Potency 2. Add one to the required Potency in sub-freezing environments. Once begun, the fire burns normally.

Comment

• You really don’t have to say that fire acts like fire.

Comment

Ignition (Forces 2)

Thermal energy is abundant and omnipresent in all but the most frigid of environments; by concentrating this ambient energy into a very small volume, the mage causes a combustible object to ignite. Potency 1 is enough for a normally flammable object such as candles, wood or gasoline; a more difficult item such as wet wood, avgas or a tire requires Potency 2. Add one to the required Potency in sub-freezing environments. Once begun, the fire burns normally.
                                I know that I'm the one who suggested that it could be done using "Forces 2 or 3" but it might be a little more complicated than that. Since the effect of the spell is about increasing the heat until the object ignites, the spell should primarily be about controlling the heat rather than jumping straight to the ignition. I think it would be a version of the already existing Control Heat spell, but one that works on objects rather than environments. Since there is already a chart about different energy levels used by various Forces spells, I'll reference that. Here's my take on it:

Control Temperature (Forces ••)
                                Suggested Rote Skills: Crafts, Science, Survival
                                The mage may change the internal temperature of an object. For each level of Potency, the mage chooses to decrease or increase the temperature by one level (see the chart under Transform Energy on page 146). If used to raise the temperature enough, the subject may spontaneously ignite.
                                +1 Reach: By focusing the heat to a specific point within the subject, the effective temperature threshold for autoignition is lowered by one level. If the threshold is outside the scope of the chart but still within 400° C, it will ignite if the spell reaches level 5.

Since I've replied to you several times now, I think it might be good to explain this about myself: I know that I can come off as condescending when I try to correct or explain stuff, but that is not my intention. I'm just trying to be educational and helpful, and I hope that's the tone I'm expressing. Also, since I'm not a writer this is just my subjective take on the system so I might actually be off about some of the stuff, even if I think I have a pretty good grasp on it. Regardless, you're always free to redefine the limitations of the system to create your own balance, if you'd prefer that. It's always more important to have fun with the game than following the rules to the letter, as long as all players agree on it.
                                Last edited by Tessie; 06-11-2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X