This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LadyLens View Post
    Just off the top of my head, assuming clear summer weather and a piece of untreated dry pine, just over a month. Assume a gain of approximately 1 degree Celsius per hour and an initial temperature of 20, that means 407 degrees. With about twelve hours a day of useful sunlight, that comes to 407 hours, call it 408 to keep the arithmetic simple. 408/12=34 days. You're better off using Forces 1 to make a burning glass equivalent.
    1 degree per hour seems way too low. I'd guess it takes more like a few minutes. Let's say a burning glass focuses sunlight x100, and sets fire to something in 10 seconds. With our hypothetical spell to make no heat dissipate from the surface (or percolate too far down into the body of the object), that means that with x1 focus, you'd need 1000 seconds.

So yeah, burning glass is totally the way to go (10 seconds, rather than 1000) if you've got sunlight. I'd say that's Forces 2 rather than 1 though, since it sounds exactly like Control Light.

Comment

• That's a distinct oddity in the Forces spells. Forces 1 can influence electricity, fire and heat, transduce radio energy to sound, but can't do a thing with light if you go by the Control Light write-up.

Comment

• Forces 1 can nudge a preferred, but possible outcome of things light can already do. Some of the things that Control Light can do probably fit comfortably under the Compelling Practice (For instance, prismatic diffraction, or simulating a heat mirage), though dimming, brightening or changing its direction is under the 2 dot Practices.

Comment

• Slow Fall (Forces ••)
          Practice: Shielding
          Primary Factor: Potency
          Suggested Rote Skills: Athletics, Occult, Survival

While under the influence of the this spell, the subject falls less quickly than normal. Reduce the effective distance fallen by (3*Potency). Any fall not onto a damaging surface, such as sharp rocks or a spike fence, does bashing damage.

Comment

• I like it. Dividing the effective distance per Potency would be more elegant, imo.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• You could also go the route of Alchemist's Touch, Potency converts Lethal damage to Bashing and for +2 Reach you could simply say no damage is taken at all regardless of the drop.

Comment

• With this description I think the Shielding practice is the wrong one. To actually directly slow the fall would be a fraying practice, though ruling could essentially achieve the same effect by optimising wind pressure and friction. A shielding spell would simply protect the beneficient from the negative effects of the impact.

Systems wise I'd let a shielding spell negate one point of damage per potency and reduce all lethal damage from the fall to bashing damage as a reach effect. Dividing the fall distance by potency would be the mechanics I'd use for a fraying spell (and actually that spell does allready exist, it's just another use of Velocity Control).

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Slow Fall (Forces ••)
                  Practice: Ruling

While under the influence of the this spell, the subject falls less quickly than normal. Divide the effective distance fallen by the spell's Potency for purpose of determining damage. Any fall not onto a damaging surface, such as sharp rocks or a spiked fence, does bashing damage.

Comment

Any fall not onto a damaging surface, such as sharp rocks or a spiked fence, does bashing damage.
                    This part would imo work better as a reach effect.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Slow Fall (Forces ••)

While under the influence of the this spell, the subject falls less quickly than normal. Divide the effective distance fallen by the spell's Potency for purpose of determining damage. Any fall not onto a damaging surface, such as sharp rocks or a spiked fence, does bashing damage.
                      I would probably replace Occult with Science but otherwise it looks good.

Comment

• As far as Shielding and Forces go, what about a Faraday Cage? A spell to keep electromagnetic signals out (or in)?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                          As far as Shielding and Forces go, what about a Faraday Cage? A spell to keep electromagnetic signals out (or in)?
                          Perfectly valid, I would say. Forces 2.

Comment

• Slightly edited:

Slow Fall (Forces ••)
                            Suggested Rote Skills: Athletics, Science, Survival

While under the influence of the this spell, the subject falls less quickly than normal. Divide the effective distance fallen by the spell's Potency+1 for purpose of determining damage.

+1 Reach: Any fall not onto a damaging surface, such as sharp rocks or a spiked fence, does bashing damage.

I realized that as written, the spell was useless at Potency 1.

Comment

• Umbrella (Matter ••)
                              Practice:
                              Ruling
                              Primary Factor: Duration
                              Suggested Rote Skills: Academics, Occult, Survival

While under the influence of this spell, a liquid chosen at the time of casting is repelled from the subject. This reduces penalties or damage caused by that liquid by Potency. This does not allow the subject to walk on liquids, because the liquid is forced away froth person, but does allow for such things as walking across a lake's bottom, or the channel of a lava flow (though the radiant heat would still be a problem). If used against water, it works as a truly superb umbrella at even Potency 1.

+1 Reach: The caster can permit specific instances of the chosen liquid to pass, as with a magician repelling water who wants to take a drink or a shower.
                              +1 Reach: The caster can walk on the chosen liquid (Dex+Athletics rolls might be required)
                              Last edited by LadyLens; 07-31-2018, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• I would change the wording to a liquid being repelled from the subject of the spell, not the caster, even if usually those are the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X