Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A ghost of a mage is already a mage ghost of the kind you describe. One that has access to Rotes as Numina but not the actual Arcana (unless they get a hold of a mage's soul, in which case they regain access to their Arcana).

There's also the voluntary lich type of mage ghosts which is more of a mage who becomes a ghost without losing anything in the process rather than a ghost who echoes the original mage.

Source for this is comments from Dave that I can't really dig up while on phone.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Interesting, if you could find this comment it would be great. Because as my understanding, it would be possible for a mage to leave behind a mundane ghost with no powers.

"Teamwork makes the dream work!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Taldorblackfire View Post
        Interesting, if you could find this comment it would be great. Because as my understanding, it would be possible for a mage to leave behind a mundane ghost with no powers.
        Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
        Two different sorts of ghost mages - ghosts who happen to be created from mages, who have inluences / Numina based on their former Praxes, and proper ghost-liches, where a mage has magically bound their Awakened soul and mind to stay bound to their ghost so they keep their self-awareness and all their powers. But almost always go completely insane with Wisdom loss, to the point that they're sometimes considered a rare type of Mad One.

But as Death 5 now allows you to create the ghost of someone even if they're still alive, expect weirdness.
        Can't find the mention that the first type of ghost mage can regain their Arcana by getting a soul in them. Luckily most ghost mages of that type can't steal them directly and just having Praxes (not Rotes as I first said) and Manifestations might not be enough to "convince" a mage to "procure" a soul for the ghost. If they'd even figure out that's a possibility and are willing to carry it out.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Thanks for that Tessie. So given all this new information, would you think it is feasible to use a Soulstone to create a ghost mage in the spell description?

Comment

• You might just be able to do it with Create Ghost, no extra requirements other than perhaps conjunctional Prime (or, if we take a page from Imperial Mysteries, conjunctional Arcana equal to the Arcana known by the mage or the mage's Path Arcana). Spells usually don't have requirements (other than Mana costs in certain cases like Create Truth) unless the requirements are on the subject. With Making you create the subject from nothing so no requirements should be necessary.
            The Mana cost should be based on Rank instead of Essence pool, imo. Something like 5 times Rank dots (so either 5 or 10). None of the Mana converted into Essence.

Comment

• Interesting tidbit here: As of Tome of Mysteries it's possible to summon the ghost of a mage using its soulstone, even if said mage never left a ghost or it had been destroyed. 1e of course, but still an interesting connection.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Very interesting, thanks Flinty. So I wonder if you could fuse the soulstone with the ghost to grant some benefit?

Comment

• I dont have the 2e book yet, and Im playing at a 1e table currently. That said, I'd like to try to design my spells based as closely to the 2e model as I can. Ive read every page of this thread to try to get a feel for it. Anyway, I was hoping I could drop some ideas and see what people think up. If these are in the 2e book already, Ill have a read when I get it. These are all death arcanum.

Decay Spell - A death counterspell. In short, it causes the target spell to reach finality before it resolves to its purpose.

Fated Demise - A death mage once had a fundamental disagreement about the nature of fate with a colleague. "Any magic that affects luck or fate makes the whole concept rather arbitrary," he said. He created this spell as an attempt to mimic true fate as he saw it. It works by fraying the connection between the target mages soul and his spell. Without this connection, the spell loses direction, and any targets it previously had are scratched out of its pattern. Yet, the spell must still resolve. Anything that -could- be a target is now fair game as the spell fires off wildly. ST assigns all possible targets a number and rolls a die. The winner(or loser) is the new target.

Revealing the Mortal Coil - Spell that brings its victim intimately close to deaths cold hands. Victim brushes so closely with death that he feels it calling to him as if he were already at its door. For turns equal to potency, victim takes negative modifiers to all rolls as if having a full health track.

+1 Reach
                  If victim's health track is actually full at the end of this spell (where he had at least 3 open health boxes before before), he suffers a mental tilt, as his mind begins to fray from his brush with death. (Not great with wording here. Basically the target cant tell if he was actually near death or not and it twists his perception of reality.)

Waning Faculties - This is the scalpel to the crude cudgel type death spells that slough bone and sinew wholesale from the body. A practiced mage can decay very specific parts of anatomy at the smallest levels. Want to give a rival alzheimers? Wear away the myelin sheath. Cripple someone? Target the spinal cord. Rote roles use science or medicine.

Distilling the Underworld
                  The necromancer who has attained this level of understanding recognizes the presence of mana everywhere within the purview of death, and may cleave it to himself at will.
                  When casted on a target that generates or uses some aspect of deathly fuel as energy, the mage leeches it away at a rate equal to potency for the duration. Ghostly Essence,vitae, and bound plasm leeched this way restores mana to the mage at a rate of 1 mana per 2 units of deathly fuel. This can be used to draw mana from the plasm stored in cenotes or other locales where death keeps a heavy hand, as well as from the underworld itself.

Eschew the Ether:
                  The mage wielding this spell harnesses the aspect of death that pertains to the bond between the targets soul and magic itself, and withers it. The cold chill of this absence settles over the target, as they feel their souls connection to the supernal waning. No longer able to hold onto their fuel, mana leaks from the mage uncontrollably.
                  Target is forced to reflexively spend mana each turn equal to spell potency. This mana cannot be used for spell casting, as it is escaping a body that can no longer contain it. If potency exceeds target's gnosis, they must spend mana up to their gnosis each turn until the potency is met.

-I saw the above spell previously in this thread. I believe it was prime 3. This is an effort to do it with death arcanum.-

Exorcising the Shade - The mage that uses this spell snuffs out the pesky hurdle of emotion within his target. For the duration of this spell the target cannot be manipulated emotionally, either mundanely or supernaturally, and all roll attempts on the part of another to detect lies or motives from him fail.

Comment

• Also, I saw a while back that someone wanted to use shadows to teleport. Could you not improvise a spell that not only makes you shadow, but extends your shadow self to the size of all connected shadows? I.E. I become shadow and melt into the shadows of the morgue. I wither away the light in the room until it is pitch black. The shadow of x room is size 15, and I, as being shadow am also size 15. I can step out of any part of myself at will and return to size 5.

Comment

• Rates in Distilling the Underworld are poorly worded. Each dot of potency draws 2 units of deathly fuel from a source, then draws mana from said fuel at a rate of 1 mana per 2 units.

Comment

• Originally posted by RatchetEffect View Post
                        Also, I saw a while back that someone wanted to use shadows to teleport. Could you not improvise a spell that not only makes you shadow, but extends your shadow self to the size of all connected shadows? I.E. I become shadow and melt into the shadows of the morgue. I wither away the light in the room until it is pitch black. The shadow of x room is size 15, and I, as being shadow am also size 15. I can step out of any part of myself at will and return to size 5.
                        Yeah, that’s Death 4.

Comment

Working...
                        X