X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ophidimancer
    started a topic Creative Thaumaturgy: Fallen World Edition

Creative Thaumaturgy: Fallen World Edition

With the advent of Awakening's Second Edition. I want to once again create a new thread in which to create, discuss, and critique new spells. Let this be that thread. I think the previous incarnations of this thread were pretty useful, and I hope it will be so again.

The purpose of this thread is to serve as a repository for your ideas for new spells using the Creative Thaumaturgy system in Mage the Awakening 2nd Edition, as well as a place to workshop ideas that you don't quite know how to represent mechanically. Together we can harness the gestalt of our collective minds to hammer out issues of balance, theme, and overall coolness. Post here is you want to share your cool ideas or to get, and give, critiques. I will do my best to organize and use this first post to collate our finished products, so that other fourmites and new players can reference your ideas in their own games.

Please be civil.

Let's make some magic, folks!
    Last edited by Ophidimancer; 05-04-2016, 04:11 PM.

• Cauthon
    replied
    Originally posted by TempleBuilder View Post
    Hmm, yeah the Practice is really hard. I’d actually say Fraying, if the component parts are kept the exactly the same as the ones used to make it. For alloys and dissolved solids, it should be fine, but I’d say if a chemical reaction took place, then you would need a reach to separate into back into components. Or maybe not, it just feels easier to draw the salt out of sea water than the wood out of a hammer, you know?
    I'd almost say use Forces for the chemical reactions, although that's one of those bits where Matter and Forces blur for me.

I'd actually find the sea water and the hammer to be about even. The hammer is composed of fairly distinct parts, with the head being a fairly durable material and the haft being a resilent but yeilding material. Sea water, in contrast, is water-impregnated-with-salt, which requires more visualization of how that's possible. Just my perception of the problem tho, as conceptually "sea is salty water" IS simpler than "Tool is composed of these materials in this configuration".

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post

Its definitely an Unraveling, since its breaking down the phenomena into its constituent parts.
    It sort of is, but it's primarily shifting things from one state to another. Unraveling or Fraying seems to be the consensus (of two) so far, so it's definately a destructive practice by that metric...

The Life and Death Reaches should work similarly, but resisted by Stamina for the living.

The first problem is that a human body will have, on average, to quote FMA:

Water: 35 liters, Carbon: 20 kg, Ammonia: 4 liters, Lime:1.5 kg, Phosphrus: 800 g, salt: 250g, saltpeter:100g, Sulfer: 80g, Fluorine: 7.5 g, iron: 5.6 g, Silicon: 3g, and 15 other elements in small quantities.

Which means that you might need to cast it multiple times to break it down to the granularity you are aiming for.
    True, but I also intended it to be a symbolic transformation. You could, for example, disentagle bones or blood from flesh and organs. The Milk-and-sugar-from-coffee was meant to be an example of that, although it also serves as a nice "piss off parables, I'm a Mage!".

On one hand, it means an imbued item with this spell will act like the recycler grenade from Prey, allowing for a useful tool to improvise materials on the field and a quick way to unblock passages.
    I hadn't thought of making a grenade out of it, that's neat. Also a cool disintigration-ray Wand.

However, it can also be used to do horrific things, such as instantly dessicating a person by removing the water from the victim's body.
    To saaaaaand.
    Last edited by Cauthon; 11-06-2022, 09:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    Originally posted by Cauthon View Post
    I'm iffy about the Practice, and on how the Life/Death Reach works. Any suggestions?

Reduced to Atoms (Matter ●●●●)
    Practice: Patterning (Should it be Unraveling?)
    Primary Factor: Potency
    Suggested Rote Skills: Science, Academics, Brawl

Why destroy when you can recycle? This spell is a favorite for those resource-conscious Mages who lack long-term attachments to their tools. It also has uses in drawing out impurities in base materials used for crafting, making it a common tool for craftsmen.

The target of this spell is transformed into [Potency] categories of it’s constituent makeup - a stainless steel knife can be transformed into a lump of chromium and a lump of iron, for example, or wine be filtered into water, ethanol, glycerol and polysaccharides. Milk and sugar can be unstirred from coffee. By default, this spell does not cause matter to change states, and as such it is prudent to prepare separate containers for liquid separation. Solids are transformed into rough spheres of the designated materials, while gasses simply disperse unless otherwise contained.

If used on an animated entity such as a Golem, the spell provokes a Clash of Wills with the entity's creator.

+1 Reach: Rendered matter can be shifted one step along the solid-liquid-gas gradient. This change is enforced for the Duration of the spell, after which point normal physics reassert themselves. For two Reach, they can shift two steps.

+1 Reach: Solids can be transformed into simple shapes - cubes, spheres, icosahedrons, and the like. This is often referred to as “dicing” the original object.

Add Death or Life ●●●●: This spell can be used on corpses and living beings, respectively. If used on the living, it is Withstood by Stamina, and does [Potency] points of damage, in addition to drawing out the desired materials. Treat an animated corpse -such as those produced by Quicken Corpse or possessed by an ephemeral entity- as a Golem for the purposes of Clash of Wills.
    Its definitely an Unraveling, since its breaking down the phenomena into its constituent parts. The Life and Death Reaches should work similarly, but resisted by Stamina for the living.

The first problem is that a human body will have, on average, to quote FMA:

Water: 35 liters, Carbon: 20 kg, Ammonia: 4 liters, Lime:1.5 kg, Phosphrus: 800 g, salt: 250g, saltpeter:100g, Sulfer: 80g, Fluorine: 7.5 g, iron: 5.6 g, Silicon: 3g, and 15 other elements in small quantities..

Which means that you might need to cast it multiple times to break it down to the granularity you are aiming for. On one hand, it means an imbued item with this spell will act like the recycler grenade from Prey, allowing for a useful tool to improvise materials on the field and a quick way to unblock passages.

However, it can also be used to do horrific things, such as instantly dessicating a person by removing the water from the victim's body.

Leave a comment:

• TempleBuilder
    replied
    Hmm, yeah the Practice is really hard. I’d actually say Fraying, if the component parts are kept the exactly the same as the ones used to make it. For alloys and dissolved solids, it should be fine, but I’d say if a chemical reaction took place, then you would need a reach to separate into back into components. Or maybe not, it just feels easier to draw the salt out of sea water than the wood out of a hammer, you know?

Leave a comment:

• Cauthon
    replied
    I'm iffy about the Practice, and on how the Life/Death Reach works. Any suggestions?

Reduced to Atoms (Matter ●●●●)
    Practice: Unraveling
    Suggested Rote Skills: Science, Academics, Brawl

Why destroy when you can recycle? This spell is a favorite for those resource-conscious Mages who lack long-term attachments to their tools. It also has uses in drawing out impurities in base materials used for crafting, making it a common tool for craftsmen.

The target of this spell is transformed into [Potency] categories of it’s constituent makeup - a stainless steel knife can be transformed into a lump of chromium and a lump of iron, for example, or wine be filtered into water, ethanol, glycerol and polysaccharides. Milk and sugar can be unstirred from coffee. By default, this spell does not cause matter to change states, and as such it is prudent to prepare separate containers for liquid separation. Solids are transformed into rough spheres of the designated materials, while gasses simply disperse unless otherwise contained.

If used on an animated entity such as a Golem, the spell provokes a Clash of Wills with the entity's creator.

+1 Reach: Rendered matter can be shifted one step along the solid-liquid-gas gradient. This change is enforced for the Duration of the spell, after which point normal physics reassert themselves. For two Reach, they can shift two steps.

+1 Reach: Solids can be transformed into simple shapes - cubes, spheres, icosahedrons, and the like. This is often referred to as “dicing” the original object.

Add Death or Life ●●●●: This spell can be used on corpses and living beings, respectively. If used on the living, it is Withstood by Stamina, and does [Potency] points of damage, in addition to drawing out the desired materials. Treat an animated corpse -such as those produced by Quicken Corpse or possessed by an ephemeral entity- as a Golem for the purposes of Clash of Wills.
    Last edited by Cauthon; 11-06-2022, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Astral Pathway (Mind •••)
    Practice: Weaving
    Suggested Rote Skills: Academics, Occult, Empathy

The Mage intertwines distant regions of the Astral Realms, allowing him to use symbolic proximity as a substitute for "physical" movement. For each dot of [Potency], the Mage can establish one relatively specific symbol, such as "Cars", "Anger" or "Dogs". if he comes across one of these symbols in the Astral, he can effectively teleport to the immediate vicinity of any of the established symbols as an Instant Action. This only allows the Mage to form pathways between Oneiroi, and there must be a significantly firm, clear or intuitive semiotic connection between the symbols used. The Mage can teleport towards a specific instance of a symbol whose existence he is aware of, but does not inherently know if the symbol still occupies the same coordinates in the Astral, or whether the spell will bring him closer to his goals.

+1 Reach: The symbols can be broader, such as "Vehicles", "Emotions" or "Animals".

+1 Reach: The semiotic connections can be more flexible, abstract or esoteric.

+1 Reach or +2 Reach: The Mage can travel through the Temenos and Anima Mundi, respectively.

Masked Significance (Prime ••)
    Practice: Veiling
    Primary Factor: Duration
    Suggested Rote Skills: Expression, Subterfuge, Persuasion

The Mage hides the true meaning of the target's actions so that the latter appears to be doing something else. While Duration remains active, each dot of Potency can be used to make a roll of [Attribute + Skill] be interpreted by observers as a different combination of [Attribute + Skill]. This also applies to rolls based on [Attribute + Attribute], such as Strength + Stamina to lift or break objects. There must be a relatively significant proximity between the original meaning of the action and the meaning which the Mage wants others to see. For example: it is possible to make an attempt at seduction (Presence + Persuasion) be seen as a threat of violence (Presence + Intimidation), but the Mage cannot make observers think of it as attempted homicide with a gun (Dexterity + Firearms). Supernatural means of piercing this spell will trigger a Clash Of Wills.

+1 Reach: The Mage can make an action appear to be something wildly different from what it actually is, as long as there is the barest symbolic connection between them.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 11-06-2022, 11:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    Everyman's Luck (Fate •)
    Practice: Compelling
    Withstand: Composure
    Recommended Rote Skills: Occult, Streetwise, Subterfuge

A spell that brings fortune back into the neutral state that permeates everyday life, neither overly good or bad, just average.

The subject's dramatic failures on mundane rolls become normal failures and their exceptional successes transform into regular successes. Théarchs have used it to stop skilled orators from utterly captivating a crowd for the Seer's agenda. Guardians employ it to delay those pursuing dangerous research, preventing them from uncovering the breakthroughs that shortens the process. Arrows have utilized it to weaken enemy combatants, gunslingers becoming unable to shoot while acrobatically maneuvering around the battlefield.

+2 Reach: The spell also affects supernatural powers. This is sometimes employed by Arrows to ensure their enemies can't pierce their defenses with exceptionally well constructed Imagos and Mystagogues have been known to deploy it on rivals to delay summonings.
    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 11-06-2022, 11:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    The Tranquil Vigil (Death •••)
    Practice: Perfecting
    Withstand:Stamina
    Recommended Rote Skills: Empathy, Expression, Medicine

A rote that eases the passing of those on death's door, ending their suffering quicker and peacefully. It can only be used on those who are suffering from aggravated damage, halving the time between bleedout for each level of Potency. The convalescent also gains the Palliated condition, which spares them of any pain or wound penalties, and they start feeling at peace with their approaching death.

There exists a Stygian entity that wanders the Tellurian, called Someone To Watch Over Us. He only appears to those dying alone, offering them a cigarette before lighting his own. He then places his hand atop theirs, or holds their hand or places it on their shoulder, putting them at ease. He doesn't say a word, but stays with them until their time comes, then vanishes. This rote was discovered inscribed on a subject's cigarette and its mudras are the entity's gestures.

While its combat potential has been acknowledged, its very rarely used, as practitioners feel its a disservice to the Truth it represents.

+1 Reach: The time between damage ticks is instead reduced by a quarter per Potency.
    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 10-21-2022, 08:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cauthon
    replied
    Moving this here rather than flood AASQ with my potential pontificating. Does this seem reasonable, as a means to create holographic projections in distant locations and trolling Pentacle-Apostate Seers?

Telepresence (Forces ●●●● + Mind ●●●●)
    Practice: Patterning
    Suggested Rote Skills: Expression, Science, Stealth

Sometimes it's useful to be seen, but imprudent to truly be present. This spell is functionally identical to Psychic Projection, except that the Projection is visible on the material plane via a hologram-avatar. The subject also perceives the world normally, as opposed to the distorted view normally provided by Twilight.

The subject's avatar is visually indistinguishable from the real thing, but cannot physically interact with objects. The appearance is determined at the time of casting and can be anything within the scope of Scale and imagination, but must be canceled and reactivated to be altered. Attempts to touch or directly interact with the avatar will likely result in Dissonance if done in the presence of Sleepers, as will drastically inhuman or implausable avatars.

+2 Reach: by spending a point of Mana during casting, the avatar is infused with a limited framework of telekinetic force. The subject can selectively interact with objects, but only has an effective Strength and Dexterity of 1. This has the side-benefit of reducing the chance of Dissonance, since the avatar can now perform simple niceties like shake hands. The subject can only engage in one interaction at a time, and must be aware of the interaction to exert this telekinetic field. Unexpected object will still pass through them, as will anything moving at combat speeds.

Add Space ●●: The avatar is spawned at a location dictated by whatever Sympathetic Connections are used.
    Last edited by Cauthon; 09-18-2022, 12:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cauthon
    replied
    Originally posted by TempleBuilder View Post
    As a side bonus, what do y'all think of a Time Unveiling to see other's internal Time dilatation ie seeing other people's boredom, enjoyment or focus. I admit it's not my idea, I saw it on a mage the ascension discussion, but I don't think it ever made it's way into this forum, and it's very interesting.
    Huh... I would probably allow it, but it also skirts pretty close to Mind territory without bringing a lot of Time with it. RAW, the purview of Time is "Prophecy, change, postcognition, time travel, time contraction and dilation"; I suppose you could argue for subjective perception of time being an acceptable contraction or dilation, but it feels like it would need a Mind rider, which defeats the point.

Leave a comment:

• TempleBuilder
    replied
    Little Eye (Forces •)
    Practice: Unveiling
    Withstand: N/A
    Suggested Rote Skills: Empathy, Investigation, Survival

This spell is extremely well know for it's ability to restore sight to those Mages without. It's other common usage is as a remote eye, absorbing and transmitting light and sending it back to to a mage. With the advent of video technology, this spell has begun to fade in popularity somewhat, but many still find it useful in other ways. This Spell when cast on a subject allows a mage to see as if they were perfectly sighted, and in the subjects position.

+1 Reach: The spell also transmits audio or tactile information. For an additional reach, it transmits both.

+1 Reach: The spell shares information between subjects, including or excluding subjects at the mage's choosing. The Mage may exclude themselves from receiving information. This choice is at the time of casting of the spell, unless the Mage spends a additional reach to change the information flow at any time

Trying my hand at a new spell, since I've been gone a while and I might be out of practice. It's fairly simple, which is most likely why no one has posted a version of it yet. (I think.)

As a side bonus, what do y'all think of a Time Unveiling to see other's internal Time dilatation ie seeing other people's boredom, enjoyment or focus? I admit it's not my idea, I saw it on a mage the ascension discussion, but I don't think it ever made it's way into this forum, and it's very interesting.
    Last edited by TempleBuilder; 09-15-2022, 06:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

The “Give Me That” spell does something similar at Mind 3 Perfecting, so maybe Fate isn’t really needed? Perhaps we could have a Add Fate •• or ••• option instead, where circumstances arrange themselves so that no third party bumps into the contest.
    I changed the formatting a bit, the idea is that it can be cast using either Arcanum, rather than both. One approach is building on the idea of Give Me That, the other option is to achieve the effect by utilizing Fate's domain of intent to alter it's context (from "the holder can be fought" to "the holder can be fought in close combat").
    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 09-01-2022, 01:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Fencer's Capote (Fate ••• / Mind •••)
    The “Give Me That” spell does something similar at Mind 3 Perfecting, so maybe Fate isn’t really needed? Perhaps we could have a Add Fate •• or ••• option instead, where circumstances arrange themselves so that no third party bumps into the contest.
    Last edited by 21C Hermit; 09-01-2022, 12:23 AM. Reason: Grammar

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    Fencer's Capote (Fate/Mind •••)
    Practice: Perfecting
    Withstand: Composure
    Recommended Rote Skills: Expression, Intimidation, Weaponry

A rote developed by the fencing master Zorro, as part of the Arrow's reaction against the Praetorian, seeking to oppose their cruel tactics by embodying the romantic ideals of a bold warrior.

When cast upon an item, it enchants it to invoke the concept of a powerful taunt, daring challenges to face the user mano a mano. Those that fail to Withstand the effect can only fight the user in close combat, not even considering using ranged options. This manifests in a number of ways, sometimes in recognizing a worthy challenger, other times because something made them reach the last straw on a very bad day or their mission requiring it.

The most popular application is for users to enchant their swords, preferring to embody a daring swashbuckler. Some enchant a toreador's capote, favoring a combat style that incorporates some showmanship. There have been users that learned this rote and turned it on its head, enchanting trench coats and dusters, using the effect alongside magically enhanced speed and ranged weapons to kite opponents around, preferring the image of the guile hero.

+1 Reach: Subjects feel their blood boil, detesting the holder even more, gaining the Bestial condition, lashing out at the them in sheer rage.

+1 Reach: Subjects feel the item's movements taunt them and cannot have peace of mind until they defeat the user. Affected subjects also gain the Fixated condition, which can be resolved by defeating the user.
    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 09-01-2022, 12:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cauthon
    replied
    Shifting Context (Space •• + Mind ••)
    Practice: Ruling
    Withstand: Resolve
    Suggested Rote Skills: Empathy, Socialize, Persuasion

The Mage changes the emotional context of one of the target's Sympathetic Connections, or more if resources are given to Scale. These emotional shifts cannot be something diametrically opposed to the original context, but the Mage could shift deep respect to unconditional love, or abject hatred to driving competitiveness. These changes will potentially affect the subject's First Impressions towards the connection.
    Last edited by Cauthon; 08-27-2022, 10:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X