X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awakening Second Edition FAQ Thread

(Mods, please sticky!)

So, not to detract from the "Ask a Simple Question" threads, but I was fond of the FAQ Bill (the original Mage Developer) kept up for first edition, and I get pounced on with queries everywhere I go on the internet. So, to keep things organised...

Ask Dave!

Some rules:

1) This thread is for posing rules and setting queries for Mage: The Awakening. I will collect them, and put the answers in a Google Doc linked to from the next post.

2) By posting in this thread, you agree to let me quote your question.

3) Please do not supply answers to other posters' questions, even if you think the answer's obvious.

4) Once the FAQ goes up, please check to see if your query has already been answered before. I will organize it by sections corresponding to the chapters of the 2e core, and if we're still going by the time sourcebooks come out, I'll add them too.

5) I reserve the right to stop this at any time, as I'm not paid to do it.

6) If possible, provide page references to support your question.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

This Post Reserved for a link to the FAQ Doc, once Dave has compiled enough content for it.

Comment

So is Mystery Cult Influence just straight-up better than Mystery Cult Initiation? The whole bit about plausible deniability makes it seem like altogether better as a Merit, and I can't help but wonder if that was the intent.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

This is as FAQ as they come: Is Lost's Arcadia the same as the Acanthus Arcadia?

Comment

Well, as first questions go, it's at least an easy one.

Comment

Administrative question:

Should inquiries about "can a mage achieve X effect and how" belong here or in a separate "How Do Yo Do That" thread?

Comment

Keep them here for now. If we get too many of them, maybe its own thread, but weve got support material to come too and I don't want uneccessary sticky threads filling the forum up.

Comment

Reposting from the other thread; is there any way for a mage to permanently change their sex with Life and have it be a Lasting effect, short of being a Legacy Attainment? I imagine many Awakened want to feel like they're in the right bodies without constant fear of it being dispelled.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

What's the most efficient way for a Thyrsus (L2/S2/P2, Familiar w/ Influence: Rain 1) to advance so he can summon rain? (Shadow name is a creature that summons rain).

Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

Comment

How much disruption to a person's life/social connections occurs during Awakening? Does it significantly vary by Path?

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
                    My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
                    Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
                      How much disruption to a person's life/social connections occurs during Awakening? Does it significantly vary by Path?
                      IE is it as dramatic as a First Change or it can leave your social life relatively intact?

Comment

Can Legacy Attainments replicate effects from, or modify/add additional affects to, the "regular" Attainments gained through your Arcanum dots?

More specifically - several 1e Legacies had Attainments that gave permanent Mage Armor effects. Can a legacy gain an attainment with an effect like "your [Arcanum] Mage Armor is now considered to be permanently active"? Is it possible for such an attainment to make Mage Armor effects stack, or would it have to contain language to the effect of "permanently active unless you spend Mana to replace it with a different Arcanum for a scene"?

Comment

Originally posted by Doink View Post
                          Can Legacy Attainments replicate effects from, or modify/add additional affects to, the "regular" Attainments gained through your Arcanum dots?

More specifically - several 1e Legacies had Attainments that gave permanent Mage Armor effects. Can a legacy gain an attainment with an effect like "your [Arcanum] Mage Armor is now considered to be permanently active"? Is it possible for such an attainment to make Mage Armor effects stack, or would it have to contain language to the effect of "permanently active unless you spend Mana to replace it with a different Arcanum for a scene"?
                          I've wondered about that too.

Comment

Does the 9-Again quality of the Precise Force Utility Attainment applies to all rolls, or only Physical rolls? It's not explicated either way.

Does the Mind Shield Attainment work against firearms? It doesn't explicitly says in the text.

Comment

Is it in theme for a creature of Pandemonium to restrain the spaces people can move through (jamming door's lock, collapsing street ends in huge gaps) in addition to adding imaginary spaces to the world (inexistent floors, gaping botomless holes)?

Or more simply is Silent Hill in theme with a Pandemonium Bound?

Comment

Working...
                              X