[2E] Hack - High Speech Runes for Indefinite spells

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Hack - High Speech Runes for Indefinite spells

As name suggest, after one year from previous posting, I can finally post end version of the my system hack to makes High Speech Runes for making spells Indefinite. End result I aim for is when carving Runes, magic is almost permanent but can be visible to onlooker ( because there are Runes carved ), even if Awakened try to hid them in plain sight, as part of graphics, tattoos or texts.

Mechanically, hack is simple – we change original rules for Runes Yantra:
    Effect: Runic casting adds +2 dice to the mage’s spellcasting pool. If anything damages or disrupts the runes while the spell is active — whitewashing runes painted on a wall, or slicing through a runic tattoo — it ends immediately.

For new version of Runes Yantra:

Effect: Runic casting adds +1 dice to the mage’s spellcasting pool and makes spell cast with it Indefinite. If anything damages or disrupts the runes while the spell is active — whitewashing runes painted on a wall, or slicing through a runic tattoo — it ends after Duration set when casting spell.

Example: Spell to be casted with the tattoo is making character stronger, adding Strength dot. Spell is cast with only 1 turn Duration when Rune tattoo is made. If tattoo is ever broken or cut, spell will linger for only 1 turn of original Duration, and then end, taking extra Strength dot from character with it.

Thoughts? Comments?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

You're basically cheapening the idea that an Indefinite spell requires the expenditure of a WP dot. It's fine, but your players are going to make all their spells Indefinite without hesitation.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe that Rune Yantra let you make spell Indefinite then? It gives you smaller bonus +1 on it's own. But for the cost of Willpower point only, you can make it Indefinite until Runes are working? Willpower dot vs point is still very favorable trade.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

The cost of a point of WP is already able to pin a spell to an indefinite duration, except that it goes haywire after a while. Basically that suggestion doesn't fix anything, because a WP point is a negligible cost that can be recovered without a player doing anything extraordinary like getting some sleep and you're just removing its one drawback. Again, get used to your players just making all their spells Indefinite.

Comment

I'll probably revisit this hack of yours to think up my own version, but I'll probably retain the +2 bonus and simply make a modification to the rules for relinquishing spells while using Runes as a Yantra.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
            You're basically cheapening the idea that an Indefinite spell requires the expenditure of a WP dot. It's fine, but your players are going to make all their spells Indefinite without hesitation.
            Edit: Nevermind, I'm wrong. I thought 2E was getting rid of spending dots of WP?
            Last edited by lnodiv; 05-13-2016, 04:52 AM.

Comment

No, it just makes that one option for handling the maintenance of Indefinite Duration spells. You can either maintain it yourself or pass it off to a Sleepwalker, pay a WP point to relinquish it and risk it going haywire eventually, or spend a WP dot to relinquish it and have it keep working until something comes and ends it somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Except Indefinite spells don't require a Willpower Dot, they require an additional Reach and an additional Mana -- relinquishing spells without having them deteriorate requires a Willpower Dot, and as far as I can tell Wyrd's hack doesn't remove the costs associated with spell relinquishment.

Though, that said, I think another way to do this is to have the Runes Yantra cover the Reach/Mana cost for making a spell Indefinite. Avoids letting players avoid some otherwise rather large dice penalties early on.

Comment

Good point, it just circumvents the Reach cost.

Comment

Working...
                  X