The Other Five Paths (2e)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dataweaver
    started a topic The Other Five Paths (2e)

The Other Five Paths (2e)

This topic is the Second Edition counterpart to my original The Other Five Paths topic. For the overview, I'm using the Pathfinding blog entry as my template.

TO DO LIST
    Now that Signs of Sorcery is out (early release at this time), I can look at what else needs to be done with the Paths.

First, each Path needs a “Vision of Truth” entry describing the Supernal World of that Path: how the Ruling Arcana are viewed, and how the other Arcana for into its worldview. This needs to be followed by one Environmental Tilt for each Ruling Arcanum for use with the Aedes systems.

After that, I need to devise a series of Boons for each Path's Supernal Entities, one per Arcanum. See Signs of Sorcery pp.39–43 for examples.

Next, there are charts for Classical Tools and Ars Novum Tools for each Path (pp.47–48); those will need counterpart tables for these Paths.

I've already started work on how Perfected Materials should apply to the various new Paths. But that needs to be completed. This should be done in conjunction with the Path Tools, since one of the entries there is materials.

I think that's it. Am I missing anything?

The Paths

As with the regular Paths, each of these new Paths is defined by a central dichotomy.

Aretos: Theory and Practice
    Axios: Risk and Reward
    Kleos: Memory and Myth
    Mæstros: Authority and Duty
    Sophros: Growth and Decay

The Watchtowers

Aretos: the Watchtower of the Amalgam Mallet in the Realm of Utopia
    Axios: the Watchtower of the Jeweled Scale in the Realm of the Seven Seas
    Kleos: the Watchtower of the Tin Flute in the Realm of the Akasha
    Mæstros: the Watchtower of Brass and Flame in the Realm of the Elemental Nation
    Sophros: the Watchtower of the Wooden Chalice in the Realm of Elysium

Aedes
    Aretos: Functions and Forms
    Axios: Terra Incognitae and Ways
    Kleos: Rhythms and Rhymes
    Mæstros:
    Sophros: Harvest Glades and Fertile Fields

Path Stereotypes

Aretos: Artisans and Craftsmen
    Axios: Traders and Advocates
    Kleos: Sages and Bards
    Mæstros: Sorcerers and Evokers
    Sophros: Druids and Mediums

Paths As Game Mechanics
    Path  Ruling Arcana  Inferior Arcanum 
    Aretos  Matter and Prime  Fate 
    Axios  Space and Fate  Life 
    Kleos  Time and Mind  Space 
    Mæstros  Forces and Spirit  Prime 
    Sophros  Life and Death  Time 
    To an Aretos on the Path of Excellence, the world is full of potential; when he looks at a slab of marble, he sees the sculpture that he can bring out of it. They summon Archetypes.

To an Axios on the Path of Merit, the world is full of Opportunities and Connections. They summon ___.

To a Kleos on the Path of Enlightenment, the record of the world is an open book, and she can read the stories that surround her. They summon Eidolons.

To a Mæstros on the Path of Mastery, the forces in the world are alive with purpose. They summon the Djinn.

To a Sophros on the Path of Balance, the cycle of the Seasons is everywhere, as everything is either developing or fading in turn. They summon Serpents.

How To Use These Paths
    Here are four alternate settings to illustrate how these Paths might be used.

Another World
    In this version of the Chronicles of Darkness, there are only five Paths; but instead of witches, wizards, alchemists, theurges, and shamans, you have artisans, traders, sages, sorcerers, and druids.

The Ten Watchtowers
    In this setting, all ten Paths coexist, and have always coexisted. There is talk about “the Paths of the Soul” (Acanthus, Mastigos, Moros, Obrimos, Thyrsus) that supposedly favor the Subtle Arcana, and “the Paths of the World” (Aretos, Axios, Kleos, Mæstros, Sophros) that supposedly favor the Gross Arcana; but, like the distinction between Subtle and Gross, it's largely a theoretical distinction. Nonetheless, associations are drawn:

Paths of the Soul
    Acanthus: the Name
    Mastigos: the Spirit
    Moros: the Shadow
    Obrimos: the Essence
    Thyrsus: the Heart

Paths of the World
    Aretos: Quintessence
    Axios: Water
    Kleos: Air
    Mæstros: Fire
    Sophros: Earth

In this setting, the new Paths of the World get the common Elemental Mastery Legacies, and the original Paths of the Soul get a new set of Legacies based on the five parts of the soul.

The World Has Changed
    In 2009, some sort of cosmic event occurred, and new mages started Awakening in large numbers to a sixth Watchtower, the Watchtower of Brass and Flame. But that was just the beginning: over the next two years, four more Watchtowers “came online”, one after the other. It has now been nine years since the first of the New Watchtowers erupted, and seven years since the last one did, and their appearances are as much a mystery now as they were then. No one speaks of “Paths of the Soul” or “Paths of the World”; rather, they're simply “the Old Paths” and “the New Paths”.

Science and Magic
    This setting combines these Paths with Gifted Science from Mage Chronicler's Guide. That is, the Aretos, Axios, Kleos, Mæstros, and Sophros aren't Mages who Awakened to Watchtowers; they're Gifted Scientists who have Actualized different Utopias:

• the Aretos are the Path of Engineering, builders of the Singularity
    • the Axios are the Path of Utility, advocates of the Market
    • the Kleos are the Path of Society, founders of the Republic
    • the Mæstros are the Path of Physics, seekers of Type V Civilization
    • the Sophros are the Path of Biology, tenders of the Garden

Thanks to Dave Brookshaw and Malcolm Sheppard for devising these Technocratic Utopias while writing the Mage Translation Guide; it's unfortunate you had to cut them for space.

Thanks also to malonkey1 for the sigils.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 02-15-2020, 08:01 PM.

• Phoenix853457
    replied
    Aretos Need more work.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Phoenix853457 Please do not encourage people to pirate RPG products.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Sorry; I've meant to get back to this sooner. Unfortunately, RL™ has gotten extremely messy for me (to the point that I'm days away from landing in a homeless shelter). I simply haven't had the time for this. That said, I'm open to suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix853457
    replied
    The Paths roles in the Orders?

Leave a comment:

• Hardwire99
    replied
    The Pentacle and the Seers would be neutral at first then they would start having their own problems as new factions start showing up.

Leave a comment:

• TrueMrMultiverse
    replied
    That would be super interesting! Would the Pentacle and Seers be fairly neutral in this struggle or would the New Watchtower Mages make their own factions I wonder?

Leave a comment:

• Hardwire99
    replied
    Actually both, I was thinking along the line of the traditional watchtower had less and less awakened and those that were already wakened start loosing power their magic is harder to cast as the new towers start gaining awakened growing in strength. Then possible a war between the old and the new that would decide the dominant magic.

It would start with a feeling that he mages of the old paths would get that something is wrong. The mages of the New paths would stat showing up, they would have a cloud of mystery about them but the Mage society as a whole would overlook it as just strange blips until the watchtowers themselves started opposing each other. By this time the Old path have been weakens, the New paths strengthened the struggle would begin. Will it spill into the sleeping world?

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Intriguing! What would it look like for a Watchtower to be slowly destroyed? Would it simply be that Awakenings related to it become gradually less common until they stop entirely? Or would the mages who Awakened to those Watchtowers start to slowly lose their effectiveness until they eventually become Sleepwalkers, as their tie to their Supernal realm slowly frays and eventually breaks?

No, there is not yet anything more on these Paths than what's in this thread. I really do need to buckle down and finish waiting them up; but lately, I haven't had any free time. If you come up with something, feel free to share it; if I like it, I'll incorporate it into the write ups.

Leave a comment:

• Hardwire99
    replied
    Dataweaver Hello, I was wondering if I could get an updated write-up of these 5 new paths, if you have it. I am interested in seeing how they turned out. I am also looking at starting a new Mage game where these 5 paths start appearing due to a Magical Apocalypse (of a sort) The new Watchtowers have appeared and are slowly destroying the old Watchtowers.

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Hmm… I definitely like the ability of an Egregore to serve as a stand-in for a whole group of people: negotiate with Uncle Sam instead of the millions of United States citizens, or Santa Claus instead of the multitude of children who believe in him. I'm not sure that this would be unique to the Traders, though: I could see the Sages and the Sorcerers dealing with Egregores, too, with the Sages dealing with Zeitgeist. And Archetypes, the Supernal Entities of the Artisans, are also sometimes described as a kind of Egregore.

Wouldn't that be easy to confuse with the Order merit of the Mysterium ? How about Kia, its an equivalent that aludes to taming chaos via Fate. It could be the equivalent of using Trades to set order to the inherent "logistical mess and unaccounted resources" of the Tapestry.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Hmm… I definitely like the ability of an Egregore to serve as a stand-in for a whole group of people: negotiate with Uncle Sam instead of the millions of United States citizens, or Santa Claus instead of the multitude of children who believe in him. I'm not sure that this would be unique to the Traders, though: I could see the Sages and the Sorcerers dealing with Egregores, too, with the Sages dealing with Zeitgeist. And Archetypes, the Supernal Entities of the Artisans, are also sometimes described as a kind of Egregore.

Leave a comment:

• Yama951
    replied
    Here's an idea for the special beings the Traders would call upon.

Egregores, a sort of collective tulpa or emergent psychic entity from the interactions of individuals or a sort of mindset or line of reasoning that a collective follows. There's a number of different definitions implied when people were talking about them online.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
    Let the buyer beware isn't fitting at all, and while that might not be the *only* definition of Trickster it's the one that will first come to people's minds. Good Traders don't stick to the letter of the deal and screw you in the small print. They make a deal that you're happy with so that when they come back next time you'll be happy to trade with them again. Every MBA knows that brand image a key to success in the marketplace, and a brand that says "read the small print, twice, with a lawyer" is not a good brand.
    True. But it's also true that a group can end up with a bad reputation because of one bad actor. I'll grant that the “let the buyer beware” Tricksters give a bad name to the rest of them; and when I write them up, I'll emphasize that point. They do exist, and they are what most people think of first; but they're not representative of the average Trickster.

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
    Also I don't think the idea of an adjective works either. The canon ones: Faeries, Demons, Angels, Shades, Beasts, Djinn. They're all nouns. It would be weird to have a Path who's Supernal Entities are a grab-bag of different canon realms.
    Not a grab-bag, no. They're unified by a common trait that they share. In that regard, they're not really any different from the way demons were presented in the Tome of the Watchtowers:
    Pandemonium is often equated with the Jungian idea of the “Shadow” of the “collective unconscious” — that which is rejected, and hence identified with (but not necessarily identical to) rejects from the other Paths, i.e., fallen angels, Unseelie Fae, rabid beasts, evil dead, etc.
    As well: in Signs of Sorcery, angels, demons, fae, beasts, and shades aren't defined in terms of “how are they angelic, demonic, fae-like, bestial, or shady?" They're defined in terms of how they represent the principles of the Obrimos, Mastigos, Acanthus, Thyrsus, and Moros. That is, there's very little in there about what they look like and a lot about how they do things. Conceptually, that's more “adjective” than “noun”.

That said, I'm not using adjectives, for the most part. Archetypes, Tricksters, and Vocalists are nouns; and Chthonics could easily be turned into Chthonians (but that's a separate debate).

And finally, part of the difficulty comes from the fact that the Seven Seas draws on “Arabian Nights” sources which puts it in contention with the Mæstros, who have dibs on that source. Given that common source, the notion that Tricksters might take the form of genies despite the overlap with the Djinn isn't terribly surprising.

And finally, the notion of the common thread of Bargainers between demons, faeries, and genies was in the back of my head when I first conceived the Axios. I've always seen that Path as a conceptual extension of Changeling's Pledges, Demon's Pacts, and Exalted's Eclipse Caste anima banner.

Leave a comment:

• The Kings Raven
    replied
    Let the buyer beware isn't fitting at all, and while that might not be the *only* definition of Trickster it's the one that will first come to people's minds. Good Traders don't stick to the letter of the deal and screw you in the small print. They make a deal that you're happy with so that when they come back next time you'll be happy to trade with them again. Every MBA knows that brand image a key to success in the marketplace, and a brand that says "read the small print, twice, with a lawyer" is not a good brand.

Also I don't think the idea of an adjective works either. The canon ones: Faeries, Demons, Angels, Shades, Beasts, Djinn. They're all nouns. It would be weird to have a Path who's Supernal Entities are a grab-bag of different cannon realms.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X