No announcement yet.

Homebrew Mage Merits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As suggested, I checked out Deionscribe's merits for Runes. Hmmm. Glyph Lore is interesting, but I'm not sure if it's balanced. A potential +3 [ending up with +5 yantra] for one merit dot sounds really strong. On the other hand, Runes are very niche and getting them to work reliably is a massive Batman like gambit. Got any practical experience with the merit?

Comment

• Question for Ravaging Magic: should it be considered a Yantra? I feel that making it a Yantra but allowing it to be used Reflexively in conjuction with another Yantra would give it an interesting niche [get to your power limit faster] instead of pushing the power limit by basically making it a yantra that doesn't use up Yantra slots. Hmm. This would also make it less cheesy for situations where that Bashing damage is irrelevant because it can be walked out...
      Maybe I should make the bashing option respect Yantra limits but be super fast, and add Lethal Resitant option that can bypass one Yantra limit? Resitant Lethal Damage isn't something you can spam.
      Last edited by WHW; 03-11-2017, 04:00 AM.

Comment

• Original
        Hammer (• to •••••)
        Prerequisites: Resolve 3, Gnosis 3
        Effect:You prefer releasing Paradox instead of containing. And you are good at it. Substract dots in this merit from Paradox penalty to spells dice pool if released.
        Drawback: ???

I feel like this could be a whole style.

Edit:
        Four Rules (• to •••••, Style)
        Effect:You prefer releasing Paradox instead of containing. And you are good at it.

Anchor (•) - Substract dots in this merit from Paradox penalty to spells dice pool if released.
        Anchor
        v2 (•) - Halve Paradox penalty to spells dice pool if released. Round down.

xxxxxx (••) -

xxxxxx (•••) -

Hammer (••••) - After ST rolled for Paradox you can spend Mana to cancel his successes with one-to-one ratio. You have do it in one turn and you are still limited by Gnosis and dots in this merit.
        Last edited by Moinen; 03-16-2017, 07:00 AM.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

• Originally posted by Moinen View Post
          Hammer (• to •••••)
          Effect:You prefer releasing Paradox instead of containing. And you are good at it. Substract dots in this merit from Paradox penalty to spells dice pool if released.

How about the Drawback is that your released Paradoxes last one step longer on the duration table?
          So an Understanding character's Paradoxes would last for One Story/Month, while a Falling character would release like a Mad One, with durations of One Chronicle/Year.

Comment

Hammer (• to •••••)

If you do a style with it, would you do it as a combat, social, or utility aspect?

Comment

• Originally posted by HerbertIsBestBert View Post

How about the Drawback is that your released Paradoxes last one step longer on the duration table?
              So an Understanding character's Paradoxes would last for One Story/Month, while a Falling character would release like a Mad One, with durations of One Chronicle/Year.
              What about distributing it through your Nimbus and/or Sympathetic Connections?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

What about distributing it through your Nimbus and/or Sympathetic Connections?
                The point of releasing it that it affects your spell and the world, so having it affect your nimbus is counterintuitive.
                And releasing your Paradox through your sympathetic connections? That's even worse than just releasing randomly, you're actively buying a merit which can send Gulmoths off at family members.

Comment

• Originally posted by HerbertIsBestBert View Post

The point of releasing it that it affects your spell and the world, so having it affect your nimbus is counterintuitive.
                  And releasing your Paradox through your sympathetic connections? That's even worse than just releasing randomly, you're actively buying a merit which can send Gulmoths off at family members.
                  But not you.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• I'll get back to Hammer ( I edited the previous post) but in the meanwhile...

Practice Mastery (• to ••••, Style)
                    Prerequisites:Gnosis 3, Access to a Practice
                    Effect: You have devoted yourself to a single Practice. Merit doesn’t work with Rotes since they have no place for your artistry. Praxis are compatible. Can be taken multiple times, each for a different practice.

Specialty (•) -- Choose a Specialty in a Practice. When using it you benefit from usual +1 dice.

So Below (••) -- The mage can stabilize a spell by putting a chunk of the Supernal Realms strength. Spend 1 Mana to grant Advanced Potency.

Deeper Studies (•••) -- Deep understanding of a Practice allows him to always be aware of changes he can make in the surrounding world. It allows him to cast a spell reflexively at the cost of 1 Reach. He can’t use Yantras that are not reflexive when doing so.

Mastery (••••) -- Mage achieves full proficiency in spinning his spells. When it encounters the will of others Mage gets +1 to CoW

Last edited by Moinen; 03-16-2017, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Original
                      Hammer (• to •••••)

Edit:
                      Four Rules (• to •••••, Style)
                      Effect:You prefer releasing Paradox instead of containing. And you are good at it.

Anchor (•) - Substract dots in this merit from Paradox penalty to spells dice pool if released.

xxxxxx (••) -

xxxxxx (•••) -

Hammer (••••) - After ST rolled for Paradox you can spend Mana to cancel his successes with one-to-one ratio. You have do it in one turn and you are still limited by Gnosis and dots in this merit.

Instead of making the first dot benefit scale with the Merit, I would make it flat "halve the Paradox penalty". Why? Because it gives you the biggest buff when you would release a gigantic paradox, of course, so if you want to get the most out of your buck...
                      It also doesn't trivialize small Paradoxes.
                      I also really like the idea of making Magical Styles follow a rule like this: "Maximum number of dots you can have in this Style is equal to your Gnosis."
                      Makes it grow with you, and allows some extra balancing possibilities.
                      Last edited by WHW; 03-16-2017, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WHW View Post
                        Instead of making the first dot benefit scale with the Merit, I would make it flat "halve the Paradox penalty". Why? Because it gives you the biggest buff when you would release a gigantic paradox, of course, so if you want to get the most out of your buck...
                        It also doesn't trivialize small Paradoxes.
                        I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I mean it's still a great boost for a one dot(and matches with Paradox theme nicely) but I feel like it's not enough carrot for a stick that the ST has with the Reach modifying.
                        I added your idea to the merit

I also really like the idea of making Magical Styles follow a rule like this: "Maximum number of dots you can have in this Style is equal to your Gnosis."
                        Makes it grow with you, and allows some extra balancing possibilities.
                        I can see why but I prefer 'skill over power' take where you can develop horizontally.

Comment

• In the Night (• to ••, Style)
                          Prerequisites:
                          Status (GotV), Resolve •••, Time (for two dot effect)

Breeze (•) Constant focus allows to react and hide signals your spell give under a different signal. Whenever your character registers a PMS ping it can cast in the very same moment a reflexive spell that won't be registered by PMS. Mana and Reach must be paid normally.

Steady Wind (•
                          ) Extending senses in time allows to cast instant spell instead of a reflexive one. (Requires Time • )

Comment

• I glanced over the google doc, but a quick question -

Any new FC-type merits added in?

Comment

• Legacy Membership (• to ••)
                              Prerequisites: Gnosis •• Character Generation only; character must qualify for the Legacy in question

Your character is an initiated member of a Legacy. For one dot version of this merit, they command knowledge of Legacy's first Attainment; for two dots version, they are capable of using Legacy's second attainment.
                              If a player loses any of their Praxes due to Legacy rules, they may choose to either gain 1 Arcane XP+1 Arcane Beat as normal (with the possibility of spending it at character generation), or decide to keep the Praxis while still gaining 1 Arcane Beat.

Something to give "start at Gnosis 2" it's own niche, and give a easy way to make "already in a Legacy" chargen characters.

Comment

• I do find it interesting that combining the Illumination proximus merit with the Wise Sleepwalker proximus merit allows a proximus to come close to being a mage concerning mysteries. Perhaps acquiring these two merits in addition to 5 arcane xp is necessary for a proximus to awaken? That'd be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X