No announcement yet.

Homebrew Mage Merits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well would reskinning the Favored Form Merit from Werewolf work in Mage?

MtAw Homebrew:
    Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
    New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

• Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
      How well would reskinning the Favored Form Merit from Werewolf work in Mage?
      Since the mage only has one form the benefits would be much more potent than for werewolves who shifts between forms with or without the benefits (and the human form specifically can't gain the benefits), and the drawback wouldn't work at all.
      Last edited by Tessie; 03-30-2018, 12:21 PM.

Writer for Bloodlines: The Ageless on STV
      Some other stuff I've done: Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• How about...

Optimized Form (• to •••••)
        Prerequisites: Life 3 “Many Faces” as a Praxis, Gnosis at Merit rating +1
        Effect: The shapeshifting mage favors one shape among many, and has learned to optimize it. Design and choose a single form the mage can change into via the “Many Faces” spell. With each dot in this Merit, he gains a specific advantage when in that form. Attribute increases from this Merit apply to derived traits.
        •: Choose a Physical Skill. The mage achieves exceptional success at three successes when using that Skill.
        ••: Choose a Physical Attribute. The mage gains an extra dot of that Attribute.
        •••: Choose a Praxis other than "Many Faces" that uses the Life Arcanum. Upon its exceptional success, the mage can choose two benefits instead of one.
        ••••: Choose another Physical Attribute to raise as per the second-dot effect.
        •••••: Choose a relevant Skill. The mage gains the advanced action quality when using that Skill.
        Drawback: Optimizing one form among many comes at the cost of others. When in her natural form, the mage's total Attribute dots are reduced by the half the Merit's rating, rounded up, divided among Attributes. Furthermore, shapeshifting to any form other than the optimized form requires a Reach.
        Note: This Merit can only be chosen for one form that can be assumed by Many Faces, up to minute details. Missing even a single detail means the mage cannot benefit from the Merit.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• Language (The Parametric Language) (•)
          Prerequisites: High Speech
          Effect: The mage knows of the Parametric Language, the secret tongue of the Gate, which His followers claim She used to open and then banish the Abyss. When casting spells targeting Abyssal entities and phenomena, the mage may use the Parametric Language instead of High Speech as mantras and runes for purpose of Yantras. Doing so grants a +3 bonus instead of the usual +2, but adds a +1 to the spell's Paradox dice pool.
          The Parametric Language can be used in conversation, albeit clumsily and slowly. When spoken to Abyssal entities, however, it improves the mage's impression by one step in Social Maneuvering. Often, this is the minimum required to have a meaningful social interaction with an Abyssal entity at all.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• Originally posted by Moinen View Post
            I'll get back to Hammer ( I edited the previous post) but in the meanwhile...

Practice Mastery (• to ••••, Style)
            Prerequisites:Gnosis 3, Access to a Practice
            Effect: You have devoted yourself to a single Practice. Merit doesn’t work with Rotes since they have no place for your artistry. Praxis are compatible. Can be taken multiple times, each for a different practice.

Specialty (•) -- Choose a Specialty in a Practice. When using it you benefit from usual +1 dice.

So Below (••) -- The mage can stabilize a spell by putting a chunk of the Supernal Realms strength. Spend 1 Mana to grant Advanced Potency.

Deeper Studies (•••) -- Deep understanding of a Practice allows him to always be aware of changes he can make in the surrounding world. It allows him to cast a spell reflexively at the cost of 1 Reach. He can’t use Yantras that are not reflexive when doing so.

Mastery (••••) -- Mage achieves full proficiency in spinning his spells. When it encounters the will of others Mage gets +1 to CoW

love it, but isn't the reflexive casting too strong?
            maybe a bonus yantra slot when casting from that Practice, instead?

The Repository

Comment

• I agree that reflexive casting is really strong. If such a thing would be possible to gain through Merits I'd personally limit it to a single Rote or Praxis per Merit.

Specialty: Rather than mixing rules for different traits, why not just grant a +1 bonus to all spells using the Practice? One die equals half a step of a spell factor. I think that's balanced since you can't retake the Merit for the same Practice.

So Below & Mastery: I don't think stacking them would be unbalanced since you can get Advanced Potency regardless, but it's a bit boring having similar benefits like that.

I also have two suggestion your Style. The dot rating is just where I'd put them if I had a 1-5 dot Style. You're of course free to move them around if you use them.

Second Nature (should have a better name) (•••): Spells cast using the chosen Practice seems to weigh less. If the mage has at least one active spell of the chosen Practice, she may ignore one of them for the purpose of Spell Control.
              Drawback: This only affects one spell, even if the mage holds multiple versions of this Merit for different Practices. It also does not affect spells being cast. If a mage who already holds a number of active spells equal to their Gnosis casts one spell using the chosen Practice, that spell still requires one additional Reach to cast even if it would not count towards spell control.

Practical Insight (•••••): Through intense studies of this Practice the mage can cast spells using deeper levels of understanding than thought possible. When casting non-Rote spells using the chosen Practice, count the mage's Gnosis as two dots higher for purposes of ritual intervals, and increase both the maximum number of Yantras and Paradox dice incurred for each Reach above Arcanum limits by one. If the character is already at Gnosis 9 or 10, simply half the ritual interval to 30 seconds (10 turns).
              Drawback: Once gained this Merit applies to all non-Rote spells cast using this Practice. That means even if the mage doesn't cast spells using the improved ritual intervals or maximum number of Yantras, he is still subject to the additional Paradox die should he exceed his maximum number of safe Reaches.

Some other stuff I've done: Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Spell Integrity (•)
                Effect: When you Relinquish a spell unsafely, you can also infuse it with Mana to fortify it against Paradox. For each point of Mana you spend (up to your per turn limit), the spell will ignore one interval check for Paradox on the spell.
                [Comments: This really just extends the rope you are hanging yourself by with unsafely Relinquishing spells. Still, if you have a surplus of Mana, and need to prepare for a big event, it can mitigate your reckless actions somewhat.]
                Last edited by Vent0; 04-29-2018, 08:08 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                  Spell Integrity (• to •••••)
                  Effect: When you Relinquish a spell unsafely, you can also infuse it with Mana to fortify it against Paradox and Dissonance. For each point of Mana you spend (up to your per turn limit), the spell will ignore one interval check for Paradox or roll to determine the effect of Dissonance on the spell.
                  [Comments: This really just extends the rope you are hanging yourself by with unsafely Relinquishing spells. Still, if you have a surplus of Mana, and need to prepare for a big event, it can mitigate your reckless actions somewhat.]
                  What does the dot rating do? Also, why would it be more possible to defend an unsafely relinquished spell against Dissonance than a safely relinquished or even unrelinquished spell?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post

What does the dot rating do? Also, why would it be more possible to defend an unsafely relinquished spell against Dissonance than a safely relinquished or even unrelinquished spell?
                    I originally intended to have the dot rating have some sort of scaling effect. But I forgot what that was (maybe Mana that could be spent on it?). As for defending against Dissonance, I threw that in there to extend the utility and because Dissonance triggers spell degradation just like normal Unsafe Relinquishment time intervals do. It's more about allowing for unsafe spells to persist a bit longer. I suppose maybe I could extend its Dissonance effects to any spell, it is just a bit better/more useful for Unsafely Relinquished spells?

Comment

• I think you should remove the effect on Dissonance entirely since Dissonance affects all spells equally; not just unsafely relinquished spells. Extending the effect to all spells would instead make the Merit less focused.

Comment

• I've updated one that I really liked from the Mage Chronicler's Guide that I think is in the same mould as other Merits in this thread that give a character increased access to Reach while also emphasizing the benefits of certain kinds of Yantras.

Blessed Sacrament (to •••••) - Note: Based on "Magical Components"
                        Prerequisite: Awakened
                        Effect: A basic fact known to all magical traditions around the world is that sacrifice brings power. For each dot in this Merit, you may use a Sacrament Yantra to activate a non-Spell Factors Reach effect in a spell you are casting. The amount of Reach granted is equal to the value of the Yantra.
                        Drawback: Each use of this Merit counts as a separate Yantra, up to your Gnosis-based limit.
                        Last edited by Arcanist; 04-30-2018, 12:28 PM.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
                          I've updated one that I really liked from the Mage Chronicler's Guide that I think is in the same mould as other Merits in this thread that give a character increased access to Reach while also emphasizing the benefits of certain kinds of Yantras.

Blessed Sacrament (to •••••) - Note: Based on "Magical Components"
                          Prerequisite: Awakened
                          Effect: A basic fact known to all magical traditions around the world is that sacrifice brings power. For each dot in this Merit, you may use a Sacrament Yantra to activate a non-Spell Factors Reach effect in a spell you are casting.
                          Drawback: Each use of this Merit counts as a separate Yantra, up to your Gnosis-based limit.
                          I really like this idea, and the drawback definitely balances it out. So, does that mean you need to have two or three dots of this Merit to apply it for Reach Effects that require 2+ Reach? And what if the Sacrament is used to cover one point? The Mage has to use his Reach to fill what's left?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

• Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                            I really like this idea, and the drawback definitely balances it out. So, does that mean you need to have two or three dots of this Merit to apply it for Reach Effects that require 2+ Reach? And what if the Sacrament is used to cover one point? The Mage has to use his Reach to fill what's left?
                            That's an excellent point. I've just modified the post so that the Merit specifies that a given Sacrament Yantra grants as many Reach as its Yantra bonus, namely to a maximum of +3. This may be a little overpowered, but given that +3 Yantras are very rare and require items taken from various Invisible Realms, I think it balances out.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

• So, I was thinking of something similar to Herald (aka Imbued Person), but for Enhanced Item. Basically, Sleepwalker-with-permanent-spells-applied represented mechanically, and possibly with a little twist/extra. Since this would be intended for a "standalone" Sleepwalker (focus character is the Enhanced Sleepwalker, not the source applying the spells), so of the variations I was thinking of were A) the effect were suppressible but not dispellable or B) Spells cast upon the subject (up to X) just naturally last longer without needing Reach (making it really easy to Enhance them with Indefinite spells) or C) they can modify the spell factors of spell that are "on" them (up to the limits of the Merit dots).

I was thinking more A, since that makes the spell effects more of an inherent part of the character, that merely uses Enhanced Item and Spells as the mechanical scaffolding.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw
                                You have to have a Befouled Praxis or rote, but you don't need any training to Befoul a Praxis when you buy it - just to know that it's possible.
                                Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                                I think that's an additional threshold (on top of knowing that it's even possible) that stops both players and characters from dabbling with Antinomian magic. Characters can't really be tempted to it in a weak or pressed moment since it requires an amount of effort to even learn how to do it, and I can see players skipping it because of the XP cost (even if they already plan on becoming Nasnasi since by then they wouldn't need befouled Praxes/Rotes anyway). I know it's just one XP to technically become a Rabashakim, but then you'd only have a single spell you're able to befoul. And I'd imagine you've already learned most spells you'd want to befoul as Praxes and Rotes already unless you're a very fresh mage.

In case anyone else feels the same I can repeat the same suggestion I've already given to my group: Have it be possible for mages to befoul Praxes without having to learn new ones. I do actually like the concept of Antinomian Rotes as separate from regular Rotes since they're specialized Imagos, but Praxes are spells that a mage knows inside and out, and you could make an argument that you wouldn't have to relearn a spell you know by heart in order to befoul it as if it were a spell you were relatively unfamiliar with.
                                So I have two solutions to something I'd like to change (others might not, and that's also okay; this post isn't for you).

1.) The suggestion in my own quote. Just make it possible for anyone who knows that it is possible to befoul any of their own Praxes.

2.) This following Merit:
                                Antinomian Casting (•••)
                                Your character can befoul her own spells instead of relying on Antinomian Rotes created by other Scelesti. She can now choose to befoul any of her Praxes when she cast them. As it is part of the Imago, that decision must be made at the same step as deciding Spell Factors.
                                Drawback: This only applies to spells she's intimately connected to. Creative thaumaturgy and non-Antinomian Rotes are still outside your Reach as only a Rabashakim.

I would use this either in combination with a house rule that disallows learning specifically Antinomian Praxes, or allow any duplicate Praxis (as in, knowing one regular Praxis and its Antinomian counterpart) to be refunded as one Arcane Experience, similar to Legacy Attainments.
                                How this interacts with Joining remains to be seen when the updated rules for Scelesti are published. Hopefully that's on the way with the recently revealed Night Horrors: Nameless and Accursed that's in first drafts right now.

Edit: For a left-handed campaign where all player characters are supposed to become Scelesti, you could discount the Merit with each Antinomian Rote learned. Antinomian Rotes learned after buying the Merit with apply Sanctity of Merits on any non-discounted dots. Same thing with becoming a Nasnas.
                                Last edited by Tessie; 06-19-2018, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X