Homebrew Mage Merits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
    So, I was thinking of something similar to Herald (aka Imbued Person), but for Enhanced Item. Basically, Sleepwalker-with-permanent-spells-applied represented mechanically, and possibly with a little twist/extra. Since this would be intended for a "standalone" Sleepwalker (focus character is the Enhanced Sleepwalker, not the source applying the spells), so of the variations I was thinking of were A) the effect were suppressible but not dispellable or B) Spells cast upon the subject (up to X) just naturally last longer without needing Reach (making it really easy to Enhance them with Indefinite spells) or C) they can modify the spell factors of spell that are "on" them (up to the limits of the Merit dots).

I was thinking more A, since that makes the spell effects more of an inherent part of the character, that merely uses Enhanced Item and Spells as the mechanical scaffolding.

Thoughts?
    B sounds like Hollow Ones, so A with a dash of C sounds nice.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

B sounds like Hollow Ones, so A with a dash of C sounds nice.
      I'm thinking A: For what ever spell(s) they purchase with the Merit, they can perform a kind of "reverse Dissonance" roll - at the end of a Scene, they can roll Integrity to reinforce any Spell Factors that have been degraded (by Dissonance, for example) up to their original settings. I'll probably throw in an additional point that the Duration Factor of the spell cannot be reduced or eliminated, and that ending the spell (such as by a Lasting Dispel Magic or Counterspelling) merely sets all factors to 0.

C, I'll separate out into a different Merit. Maybe related to Spell Thief, or at least complementary to it.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Forgot if I added this before, but here's a mage merit that I've included in my own chronicle:

Potent Mage Sight: The strength of your vision is greater than those of your peers. You just seem to have that edge on them. Where others barely fail, you barely succeed, grasping at the truth of the supernal.
        3 dot merit, add one die to each revelation and scrutiny roll. This does modify how many rolls you can make before risking bleeding your nimbus into the mystery.

I felt that 3 dots was appropriate given that the game is about mysteries. Also, it's just cheap enough to possibly be worth not increasing your gnosis or your arcana, but just expensive enough to justify it being universal.

Comment

• Version 1 - Mirrors Enhanced Item exactly. Plays fast and loose with mechanics.

Enhanced Form (•+, Special)
          Prerequisites: Sleepwalker
          Effect: You have absorbed a spell into your Pattern, and made it part of your being. You are the recipient of a number of permanent spells (similar to Enhanced Item, but with the character as the subject instead of an object). Should Dissonance degrade the Spell Factors of these spells, the character can make their own Dissonance roll (Integrity vs a Withstand of the spell's dot level) at the end of each Scene to instead restore Spell Factors to their original level, even from 0. Dissonance cannot reduce the Duration Factor (and is not counted when determining which Spell Factor to reduce next.

Version 2 - Spells out the exact benefits available. Keeps power restrained by merit dots.

Enhanced Form (• to •••••)
          Effect: You have absorbed a spell into your Pattern, and made it part of your being. You can retain a persistent spell active upon you, with an Arcana rating of no more than the dots in this merit. The spell can only utilize the free Reach available to it as if cast by a Mage with Arcana of this merit's dots (so at 5 dots, a 3 dot spell would have 3 free Reach). Additional Spell Factors' dice penalties can not exceed this merit's dot rating x 2. Should Dissonance degrade the Spell Factors of these spells, the character can make their own Dissonance roll (Integrity vs a Withstand of the spell's dot level) at the end of each Scene to instead restore Spell Factors to their original level, even from 0. Dissonance cannot reduce the Duration Factor (and is not counted when determining which Spell Factor to reduce next.
          Special: A character can have multiple versions of this merit, each representing a different persistent spell.

Enhanced Form, Advanced (• to •••••)
          Prerequisites: Enhanced Form •••••
          Effect: You can add dots in this Merit for calculating the additional Spell Factors for Enhanced Form.

Special Options - Could apply to either version above.
          1 Special: Should the spell be undone (such as a Lasting Dispel Magic), the character can reacquire the same spell at the end of the Chapter via Sanctity of Merits, even if there is not a Mage available to cast it.
          2 Special: Should the spell be undone (such as a Lasting Dispel Magic), the spell is instead treated as if it had all Spell Factors other than Duration reduced to 0.

Further Additions
          For Version 2, I could see one allowing for Combined Arcana.
          I can see a followup merit for either (but mostly 2) that lets one spend an action to adjust the Spell Factors within the current range (move them around, but not increase or decrease the dice penalty).
          Related to the above, I could also see adding additional Reach effects... at the cost of either temporary instability, Paradox Conditions, or automatically Contained Paradox (so, resistant Damage).

So, thoughts, preferences?

Another idea that could use some revision. Maybe obviate some prior merits, so entirely optional.

Supernal Adept (• to •••••)
          Effect: When rolling dice for Supernal magic where Gnosis would be used (such as activating Imbued Items), you can instead use your rating in this Merit.
          [Comments: So, this one is very niche and reliant on the amount of interaction a ST is already allowing Sleepwalkers to have with any rolls that involve Gnosis. Imbued items are one example. Allowing Rote Sorcery is another. If they want, it's possible that it could aid Proximus Blessing usage, even though the normal Gnosis + Arcana pool was replaced with Resolve + Composure.]

Here's another tentative idea.

See the Threads (••, Supernatural)
          Prerequisites: Empathy 1
          Effect: Your character can see the threads of connection that bind people and objects together. They can make a Wits + Empathy - Sympathetic Range Withstand to identify the connection something has to something else. They may not know why this cup is important to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (or even who that is), but they can tell it has a strong bond with someone (and even identify that person, should they meet).
          Drawback: You can't not see the threads everywhere. You know when two people are faking affection for each other, and figuring out just why that knife is important can get you killed. Additionally, whenever you identify a Sympathetic Connection and have current Willpower less that its Connection Withstand, the party at the other end gets some inkling that you know of their Connection to what you glimpsed.

Unravelling Touch (•••••, Supernatural)
          Prerequisites: Occult 1
          Effect: Something about you unravels the Imago of spells you come across. You obviously aren't a Sleeper, and you don't suffer Quiescence, but magic you come into contact with is undone all the same. Upon touching an active spell effect (or being the subject of one), Reflexively roll a Clash of Wills against it with Resolve + Composure. Upon success, the spell ends or is prevented from affecting you. If the spell's highest Arcana exceeds your Occult Skill, you lose one point of Willpower upon making the roll. You can only unravel one spell effect each turn, but will continue to do so until you either are no longer in contact with a spell, or you run out of Willpower and the spell's rating exceeds your Occult.
          Drawback: This is an automatic reaction - you don't have a choice or not, even if the spell is beneficial or wanted. Mages also tend to view you as a hazard or tool, complicating your life in other ways.

Resonating Presence (••, Supernatural)
          Prerequisite: Presence 3
          Effect: You have a powerful presence - so much so that you warp nearby Leylines, Loci, and Hallows to match it. This merit is tied to a single Resonance type. Any Leyline, Locus, or Hallow within Presence * 10 yards has their Resonance overwritten with yours. This persists for as long as you remain in the area, reverting immediately once you leave.
          Drawback: You stick out to occult senses like a signal flare on a dark night. Spirits and other entities disposed toward your Resonance will flock to you. Beings opposed to it will try to drive you off or kill you. Your life will the center of a battle you may not even be able to perceive.

Fundamental Flux (••••, Supernatural)
          Prerequisite: Stamina 2
          Effect: You have the ability to manipulate the resilience of whatever you touch. Under stress (such as combat, or intense interactions) you can increase or decrease the Durability of whatever material you are in contact with. When you are inhaling, anything touching you has its Durability increased by your Stamina. When you are exhaling, whatever you touch has its Durability reduced by your Stamina.
          Drawback: Since the effect is keyed to stress and your breathing, managing it effectively can be tricky. All it takes is a bad exhalation at the wrong time when excited to cause your bike to collapse under the slightest jolt, or, in rare cases, your clothes to shred in a strong wind. Mediation can help regulate the stress that causes it to happen, but once you lose your cool, only situational awareness and timing will help you.

Idea for a temporal one - Whenever the character undergoes a Breaking Point, they go backwards and/or forwards in time. They still had the Breaking Point (including from Dissonance?) but might be able to act before the triggering event occurs. Since it keys of Breaking Points, exploiting the mechanic is.. problematic. Or just traumatic.
          Last edited by Vent0; 08-10-2018, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• No commentary on the above?

What about a temporal one that has the Sleepwalker seeing a few seconds ahead (basically, a permanent Present as Past)?

Here's a minor one for accomplished Artificers:

Rote Activation (•••)
            Prerequisites: Imbue Item Attainment, any Rote
            Effect: When Imbuing a Rote spell into an item, you can encode the Rote's Skill Yantra into the trigger, allowing other users to add their own ranks in that skill to their activation rolls for the Imbued Item.

Comment

• Here is an experimental concept:

Usurp Control (••, Attainment)
              Prerequisites: Prime 2, Counterspell
              Effect: When you succeed in a Counterspell, you can spend an additional point of Mana to take control of the spell instead of cancelling it. You can determine post-casting decisions, such as specific targets for the spell (but not Spell Factors or Reach options), and you count the spell against your own Spell Control.
              Note: The spell's Range is still determined from its original source, which may affect targeting options for spells that were intended to be thrown.

AssumING DIRECT CONTROL
              Assume Control (••••, Attainment)
              Prerequisites: Prime 4, Usurp Control, Dispel Magic or Supernal Dispellation
              Effect: When you suppress an active spell in a Lasting manner (via Dispel Magic and similar effects), you can spend an additional point of Mana to engage in a Clash of Wills for control of the spell instead of cancelling it. Upon success, the spell is counted against your Spell Control, and you can make the same decisions regarding the spell (reducing Spell Factors, cancelling it, Relinquishing it, etc.) as if you had cast it. If the your Clash roll fails, the spell is still cancelled.

So, the Merit sub-type above is for covering alternative Arcana Attainments, without necessarily replacing the existing ones. If adapting the existing Attainments using this method, each new rating in a Arcanum would grant a free Attainment Merit rated at the same level. As for these specific ones, it is a method for swapping spells, "refreshing" Relinquished spells (by Counterspelling them, then re-Relinquishing them), and "spell reflection".
              Last edited by Vent0; 08-10-2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Here is an experimental concept:

AssumING DIRECT CONTROL
                Assume Control (••••, Attainment)
                Prerequisites: Prime 4, Counterspell
                Effect: When you succeed in a Counterspell, you can spend an additional point of Mana to take control of the spell instead of cancelling it. The spell is counted against your Spell Control, and you can make the same decisions regarding the spell (reducing Spell Factors, cancelling it, Relinquishing it, etc.) as if you had cast it. If you succeed in Counterspelling as it is cast, you can choose new targets and make other similar choices for the spell as long as the Reach and Spell Factors remain unchanged.
                [Comments: So, the Merit sub-type above is for covering alternative Arcana Attainments, without necessarily replacing the existing ones. If adapting the existing Attainments using this method, each new rating in a Arcanum would grant a free Attainment Merit rated at the same level. As for this specific one, it is a method for swapping spells, "refreshing" Relinquished spells (by Counterspelling them, then re-Relinquishing them), and "spell reflection".]
                Wait, could relinquished spells be Counterspelled at all? I thought it had to be done while the spell is being cast? Or is this Attainment specifically designed to cover that?

Anyways, damn I was going to do something similar for Attainments of the Timori and any other Banisher Legacies. * takes notes

Comment

Wait, could relinquished spells be Counterspelled at all? I thought it had to be done while the spell is being cast? Or is this Attainment specifically designed to cover that?

Anyways, damn I was going to do something similar for Attainments of the Timori and any other Banisher Legacies. * takes notes
                  Counterspell is generally a "remove magic with a Clash if Wills" effect. Using it to "block" a spell actually requires the Mage to have Active Mage Sight up - otherwise they can't.

Relinquished spells are still spells, just ones which aren't actively monitored or sustained. They can be CoW'd/Counterspelled normally.

At least, that's how I've been reading it.
                  Last edited by Vent0; 08-10-2018, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Counterspell is generally a "remove magic with a Clash if Wills" effect. Using it to "block" a spell actually requires the Mage to have Active Mage Sight up - otherwise they can't.

Relinquished spells are still spells, just ones which aren't actively monitored or sustained. They can be CoW'd/Counterspelled normally.

At least, that's how I've been reading it.
                    I thought AMS was needed to perceive the spell’s Imago as it was being formed, after which you’d need Dispel Magic or Supernal Dispellation to suppress/remove spells.

But even so, an Attainment that bypasses such restrictions sound plausible.

Comment

• 21C Hermit is right. Counterspell requires AMS to perceive the Imago so that you can disrupt the Imago before the spell comes into existence. It does nothing to spells that have already been cast.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                        21C Hermit is right. Counterspell requires AMS to perceive the Imago so that you can disrupt the Imago before the spell comes into existence. It does nothing to spells that have already been cast.
                        Ah. I was reading the last line as a "to use this Attainment to counter a spell before it is cast" not "to use this Attainment at all". I'll modify the above merit.

I broke the two effects into separate Merits/Attainments, with the "take control of pre-existing spell" one dependent upon the previous one, and tied into Dispel Magic and similar effects (but only if Lasting - any lesser duration runs the risk of you just deciding to Cancel it before your control expires, which removes much of the incentive for the Lasting Reach option).
                        Last edited by Vent0; 08-10-2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

So, you were right - Counterspell itself is only as the spell is being cast. I broke up the functionality into two Merit/Attainments, edited above.

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                          It also occurred to me that Counterspelling takes an Instant Action. There may be some room for something that make it (Usurp Control optional) Reflexive, so long as you are in contact with the target or source - a kind of "spell-drinking-grip". Another option is for a "curse" like effect that sticks to a target and rewrites all their spells' Target to "the caster".

Comment

• Flesh of Shadows (••••, Supernatural)
                            Prerequisites: Stamina 2+, Resolve 2+
                            Effect: Something in your very substance calls to the darkness, yearning to join it. Unless bathed in bright light (such as outdoors during daylight, or in full illumination indoors), you can merge with the shadows for Stamina + Resolve in Turns by spending a point of Willpower. While a shadow, you are two-dimensional, have no mass or substance, and can move through cracks and crevices, but you are still affected by gravity and cannot interact with physical objects.
                            Drawback: Inside complete darkness, your body becomes shadows without your choice. Sleeping with the light on may become an obsession to avoid the disquieting feeling of being bodiless for long periods of time.

Reaper's Touch (•••, Supernatural)
                            Prerequisites: Resolve 3+
                            Effect: Your touch steals vitality from the vulnerable, leeching them to feed you... whether you want to or not. Whenever you touch someone with Lethal or Aggravated damage, you take the difference of your Resolve minus theirs in Willpower points for each turn of contact, gaining those points (though excess Willpower is lost). If they no longer have Willpower, then they take it in Lethal damage, and their wounds worsen. After inflicting Lethal damage, some telltale traces often appears on you, such as a substance like blood seeping from your hands or eyes (which is actually Tass).
                            Drawback: You can't turn it off. You probably won't be able to pursue medicine or comfort anyone injured again, knowing what you do to people. That is, unless you become addicted to your own life-draining and seek out people to victimize.

Comment

• Supernal Focus (•••••, Supernatural)
                              Prerequisites: Gnosis 6+, Occult 3
                              Effect: The character has a highly defined sense of the connection to the Supernal World as it flows through the Fallen. This insight increases the maximum Yantra bonus from +5 to a bonus equal to the character's Gnosis rating.
                              Drawback: The worst penalty possible due to various conflicting effects also becomes equal to Gnosis rating.
                              Last edited by thenate; 09-12-2018, 12:09 PM.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

• The Soul in Motion (•••, Supernatural)
                                Prerequisites: Dexterity 3, Wits 3, Space 3
                                Effect: Most beings are, on some level, static - stable enough that with the proper Imago, one can target them regardless of physical motion. The Mage breaks that rule. Her essence is motion. Her nature is flux. Any Sensory Range spell that would affect her rolls to hit as though it were Aimed (but with a +5 bonus) as the Imago slips off of her.
                                Drawback: She cannot choose to lower this effect, and she cannot choose not to apply her Defense when targeted by spells (though if she's unconscious or otherwise immobile, she may not be able to do so).

Comment

Working...
                                X