No announcement yet.

Homebrew Mage Merits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm. Since Soul Stones can make weak Demesnes which protect from Paradox, would it be feasible for a Merit to allow you to incorporate a Soul Stone into a Supernal Entity (possibly even a familiar) to make it immune/resistant to Dissonance?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Vent0 I dunno but that SOUNDS like a nifty idea.

Comment

Glyph Lore (•)
        Prerequisites:
        Awakened, Skill at Two Dots
        Effect: Those Awakened who demonstrate efficiency in the use of Runes can learn to further imbue power into their meaning. This can consequentially reinforce the spells they support. Choose a Skill when purchasing this Merit. When using Runes as a Yantra in your spell, you gain an additional dice bonus equal to half your dots in that Skill, rounded up, if the spell is resonant with its symbols. This is reflected by a spell's suggested Rote Skills, though the Storyteller may use others when appropriate. If the Runes are being applied to a rote spell, they are considered to have the benefits of a Dedicated Tool.
        At first I thought "wow what a huge yantra bonus, that's crazy powerful". But then I thought about just how damn annoying that Rune drawback is, and I realized that it's probably still totally ok. In fact, this is sorely needed. I don't think runes would even see use without something like this.

Comment

Another idea, which may need more work, or be not feasible upon deeper investigation.

A merit that lets a Sleepwalker assume Spell Control of a spell they are Maintaining. They accept maintenance of the spell, as normal, but they can also be granted the same control over it the casting Mage has while they are maintaining it. Might allow a Sleepwalker to be enhanced with magic a bit more flexibly. I haven't looked into all the ramifications yet, though.

Comment

[Arcana]-Strewn Nature (•• or ••••)
            Prerequisites: Proximi
            Effects: A version of this merit exists for each of the Ten Arcana - however, any given Proximi Family may only learn it for their three Blessing Arcana. The Proximi gains Mage Sight, flavored as appropriate for their lineage - treat them as if they had one dot in the Blessing Arcanum corresponding to this merit when determining what Mage Sight benefits they can access. They cannot, however, use Focused Mage Sight, and must always spend one Mana whenever they wish to incorporate an Arcanum corresponding to this Merit to their Active Mage Sight.
            The rare individuals with four dots of this Merit have access to Mage Armor for the corresponding Blessing Arcanum, calculating the benefits as if they had two dots in the corresponding Arcana.
            Drawback: This isn't healthy for any Proximus who uses it. After any Scene where they use Active Mage Sight or Mage Armor, the Proximus immediately suffers the Severe part of their Curse.
            Special: This merit may be taken up to three times, once for each of the Proximus' Blessing Arcana.

=---=

Because Proximi need moar lurv.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Some more Proximi enhancers that I thought up while waiting for the train:

Dynastic Heir (•••••)
              Prerequisite: Proximus
              Effect: You have a deeper tie to your heritage than most of your peers. You are treated as if you had Gnosis 1 for the purposes of Yantras, Mana capacity, Ritual time, Combined spells, and effects that track Gnosis.
              Note: The Gnosis is not "true" Gnosis, and doesn't confer bonuses to Resistance rolls as normal Supernatural Tolerance would, or any other non-Blessing/Spell Casting derived effects that having Gnosis would grant.

Dynastic Heir, Advanced (•••••)
              Prerequisite: Dynastic Heir 5
              Effect: You are a prodigy among those of your dynastic line. You are now treated as if you had Gnosis 3. Additionally, you can access 20 new dots worth of Blessings (though you must acquire them separately), which can now be up to 4 dots in an Arcana, or combine two spells.
              Drawback: At these heights of power, the Abyss also takes a closer interest. You add an additional Paradox die whenever you roll for Paradox (total 2 dice).
              Note: You only gain access to the new Blessings - you still have to acquire them as merits separately.

Dynastic Heir, Epic (•••••)
              Prerequisite: Dynastic Heir (Advanced) 5
              Effect: You are a true heir and embodiment of your Supernal Dynasty. You are now treated as if you had Gnosis 5. Additionally, you can access 10 new dots worth of Blessing (though you must acquire them separately), which can now be of up to 5 dots, or combine two spells.
              Drawback: At these heights of power, the Abyss also takes a closer interest. You add another additional Paradox die whenever you roll for Paradox (total 3 dice).

[Comments: The purpose is to push the limits of what Proximi are capable of. In limited cases, one who has invested enough can even kinda-sorta compete with Masters on a limited basis. With this and other Proximi boosting Merits, you might even run a full setting with just Proximi as magical bloodlines or Houses.

The idea behind making it a Basic > Advanced > Epic tier of Merits was to enforce XP costs.]

[Arcana] Prodigy (•• or ••••)
              Prerequisite: Proximus, Blessing in the selected Arcana
              Effect: You have studied the secret underpinnings behind your abilities, and unlocked greater reaches of power. You are treated as if you had a rating in the selected Arcanum of 1 at two dots, and 2 at four dots, for the purposes of Reach and any other calculations when using your Blessings.
              Special: This merit may be taken up to three times, once for each of the Proximus' Blessing Arcana.

[Arcana] Prodigy, Advanced (•• or ••••)
              Prerequisite: [Arcana] Prodigy 4
              Effect: You have studied the secret underpinnings behind your abilities, and unlocked greater reaches of power. You are treated as if you had a rating in the selected Arcanum of 3 at two dots, and 4 at four dots, for the purposes of Reach and any other calculations when using your Blessings.
              Special: This merit may be taken up to three times, once for each of the Proximus' Blessing Arcana that you have [Arcana] Prodigy 4 in.

[Arcana] Prodigy, Epic (••)
              Prerequisite: [Arcana] Prodigy (Advanced) 4
              Effect: You have studied the secret underpinnings behind your abilities, and unlocked greater reaches of power. You are treated as if you had a rating in the selected Arcanum of 5, for the purposes of Reach and any other calculations when using your Blessings.
              Special: This merit may be taken up to three times, once for each of the Proximus' Blessing Arcana that you have [Arcana] Prodigy (Advanced) 4 in.

[Comments: This gives Proximi a little more flexibility Reach-wise with their Blessings. Again, tiered to reflect XP costs that don't map 1-5. Unless people are fine with 10 dot Merits.

If you want these virtual Arcana ratings to upgrade [Arcana]-Strewn Nature ••••'s Mage Armor effect, I won't stop you.]

So, with these and [Arcana]-Strewn Nature, a Proximus could have up to 50 dots worth of spells (5 4-dot, 2 5-dot), count as Gnosis 5 for Yantra use, Mana, Ritual Time, etc., have limited Mage Sight and Mage Armor, and some free Reach. They'd still be subject to their Curse, and would still use Willpower for their casting dice pool. "Maxing out" would cost 50+(4*3)+15+(10*3)=107 XP. And they still wouldn't be equal to a Gnosis 5 Mage. Still, definitely worth playing, and no one to dismiss.
              Last edited by Vent0; 08-12-2016, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Some Sleeper and Sleepwalker intended Merits I had notes for. They aren't complete, mind you.

Paradox Eater •••
                Prerequisite: Sleeper or Fitful Slumber
                Effect: [Gain health and Willpower from Paradoxes, kinda like Abyssals] [May actual reduce the effects of Paradox or even "eat" Abyssals]
                Drawback: [Mages just dislike you]
                [Comments: Sleepers are supposed to possess a "shard of the Abyss", so why not "use" that to absorb more?]

Abyssal Symbiosis •?
                Prerequisite: Liar
                Effect: [Some Abyssal thing likes tormenting you, but you get protection from Supernal magic. Mostly because the Abyssal Paradoxes the heck out of any magic targeting you.]
                Drawback: [Kiss anything close to decent Integrity goodby]
                Note: You can retain this merit even if you later lose the Liar merit.
                [Comments: One the one hand, and minor Gulmoth is trolling you. On the other, at least mages have a harder time messing with you. That's close to compensation, right?]

Abyssal Familiar ••• or •••••
                Prerequisite: Abyssal Symbiosis
                Effect: [That thing now seems inclined to do things for you. Of course you are likely to forget all interactions a little later, due to Quiescence.]
                Drawback: [You have an Abyssal being that does you “favors”. That you probably can’t remember. Do the math.]
                [Comments: For those fun stories of I Wished You Were Dead and Stop Helping Me (TVTropes Warning).]

Abyssal Mockery • to •••••
                Prerequisite: Liar
                Effect: [Can replicate one spell that you witnessed (with a max Arcana rating equal the dots or less), as if Paradox took control of it.]
                Drawback: [Automatic Integrity hit while holding the spell, rolling once it is “released”. Spell is Abyssal, which is still dangerous.]
                [Comments: Meant to be your soul being "scarred" by the magic, then the Abyss latter vomiting forth its Paradox'd reflection.]

Abyssal Subversion •••
                Prerequisite: Abyssal Symbiosis
                Effect: [Character can control how Paradox warps spells]
                Drawback: [Still suffers from Dissonance and Quiessence]
                [Comments: Instinctively warp spells for your own protection and benefit.]

Herald •••
                Prerequisite: Sleepwalker
                Effect: [Lets character control spells they are holding]
                [Comments: A little enhancer to Banner Carrier. Now you can invest Sleepwalkers with long lasting spells and let them manage them as they need. Name might need work.]

Spell Thief • to •••••
                Prerequisite: Herald •••
                Effect: [Lets character take spells from Mage’s spell control]. Total spells is equal to merit dots.
                Drawback:
                [Comments: Anndd... now the Sleepwalkers aren't so friendly. This lets them get in and swipe spells from Mages, rudely surprising them.]

Spell Catch •?
                Prerequisite: Spell Thief •
                Effect: [Special Dodge action let’s you “catch” aimed spells to throw back or let fizzle]
                [Comments: Spell Thief used defensively. Play Catch with fireballs.]

Traditional Understanding (••)
                Prerequisite: Sleeper
                Effect: Pick some branch of traditional mysticism or religion (if it is suitable for Techne, it is a good choice). Whenever Supernal magic matches or seems to confirm those beliefs, you can delay the normal Breaking Point for up to a day (and you don't add Paradox dice to the spell). Seeking reaffirmation and support later regarding your experience lets you make the Breaking Point roll then with a bonus (or penalty, dependent upon what kind of support and counseling you receive).
                Drawback: Whenever you suffer a Breaking Point from non-Traditional Supernal magic, you automatically suffer a Condition related to the source (such as Spoked or Incensed), despite Quiessence shrouding the actual events from memory. You just know you don’t like the heretics.
                [Comments: For the Free Council's allies, obviously. As long as they can make it to a support group/confessional that day, they can be around Supernal magic relatively safely. As long as it is compliant with their beliefs. Opposing beliefs are viciously denied.]
                Last edited by Vent0; 08-12-2016, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Abysal Familiar is a whole Story waiting to happen. I love it.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

amechra and Vent0, I haven't been able to make time yet to properly look at your additions to this thread. But based on what I've managed to skim, they look pretty good. I'll get back to them at a later date and further flesh them out if that's alright.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Flared Imago (••)
                      Prerequisites: Potent Nimbus •, Prelacy •• or Shadow Name ••
                      Effects: Whenever your Nimbus flairs due to casting a spell incorporating a patron or personal Yantra, you may reflexively spend an additional point of Mana. If you do so, your Immediate Nimbus becomes visible as if you had deliberately flared it - what's more, the imagery is warped to include a symbolic representation of your spell's Imago. As long as your Imago-Nimbus is flared in this way, spells you cast that incorporate the same patron or persona Yantra use your dots in Potent Nimbus as their base Potency, and you may access Advanced Potency for such spells by spending one Mana instead of using one Reach.
                      Drawbacks: Besides being obvious as fuck, and therefore triggering Dissonance and madness in Sleepers? It puts you out in the open - other Mages add your dots in Potent Nimbus to any roll they make to counterspell your spells while your Imago-Nimbus is flared.

Harsh Insight (• - •••••)
                      Prerequisites: A dot in that particular Arcana
                      Effects: You have a peculiarly strong view of one of your Ruling Arcana, manifesting itself with violence upon your perspectives. You are always considered to be under the effects of active Mage sight incorporating that Arcana - this does not allow you to use focused Mage Sight and does not carry the normal penalty unless you actually enter active Mage Sight. In addition, you may spend one Mana when casting a Knowing or Unveiling spell to use your dots in Harsh Insight in place of that spell's base Potency.
                      Drawbacks: This sort of insight into the Arcana brings with it troubling dreams and a separation from the Fallen World - you may treat dots in Harsh Insight as dots in Seer of the Throne Status for the purposes of taking the Prelacy merit. You also suffer a penalty to all Social rolls equal to half your dots in Harsh Insight, rounded up - subtract your dots in the Prelacy merit from your dots in this merit when determining this penalty.

Scoured Heart (••)
                      Prerequisites: Space ••
                      Effects: Whenever you scour your pattern, you may choose to instead burn out a non-Connected sympathetic link that is close enough to you to be subject to your Long-Term Nimbus. If you do so, you only receive Mana equal to the link's Connection-based Withstand rating, but you don't lose dots of Physical Attributes or suffer any levels of Resistant Lethal damage. The subject of the sympathetic link is, however, marked with your Signature Nimbus, blooming as invisible stigmata.
                      Drawbacks: That Mana has to come from somewhere - at the very least, it devours the "closeness" between you and another person, place, or thing. Scouring a sympathetic link this way permanently reduces its rating by one step, with all the ensuing distance that suggests. This is an Act of Hubris against Enlightened Wisdom, regardless of the link's rating - scouring Strong links is also an Act of Hubris against Understanding Wisdom as well.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

Comment

Vent0. Added to a couple of your latest Merits here.

Paradox Eater (•••)
                        Prerequisites: Sleeper or Fitful Slumber
                        Effect: Some Sleepers and Sleepwalkers draw out the Abyss in a manner that allows them to draw strength from it. While the former achieves this through the shard of the Lie within their souls, the latter attain this power from the same exposure to magic that shocks them out of the Curse. Whenever a Paradox manifests in their presence, they may spend Willpower to roll a dice pool equal to their Integrity. Each success scored allows them to 'devour' one Reach and heal a point of lethal damage.

Drawback: Taking Abyssal energy unto oneself can leave deep stains upon the soul. Each use of this Merit is treated as a Breaking Point. Furthermore, whenever a Mage must roll for Paradox in the character's presence, he adds an additional die to the Paradox pool.

Herald (•••)
                        Prerequisites: Sleepwalker
                        Effect: Certain Sleepwalkers can not only bear a Mage's spells, but maintain them through force of will should they be conferred into their hands. An Awakened character may spend a Willpower point to anchor a spell into a willing Sleepwalker's soul. The Sleepwalker can maintain a number of active spells equal to the higher of Resolve or Composure. Any spell in excess of this limit is treated as if it were relinquished with a Willpower point.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                        Age of Azar
                        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

amechra

I am liking the possibilities that can come up through Flared Imago and/or Harsh Insight. Though could you explain to me a bit more how the latter works? I'm not that familiar enough with (Active) Mage Sight to fully appreciate its benefits and drawbacks.

As for Scoured Heart, I can definitely see this being reskinned as a Lesser Space Attainment.
                          Last edited by Deionscribe; 08-14-2016, 09:59 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                            amechra

Renamed your [Arcana]-Strewn Nature Merit to Illumination.
                            Please do not rename my stuff - it is not yours.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
                              Please do not rename my stuff - it is not yours.
                              Ah. Righty. Will change it back.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                              Age of Azar
                              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Ah. Righty. Will change it back.
                                Thanks - sorry if I was a bit snippy, it's just a bit of a sore spot for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X