Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know if it's too powerful, but I was thinking something like this:

Sphere incarnate(*** or *****)
    You can only purchase this at character creation.

Choose one of your primary spheres. Your understanding of this Sphere is almost at an instinctual level.
    Benefit: whenever you spend a willpower point to gain a dice bonus on a non-magical skill roll, you can also spend 1 mana to increase the willpower bonus by a number equal to your sphere dots as long as this boost can somehow incorporate the chosen sphere.
    Example: Jo has life 2 and the 'life incarnate' merit. fighting for his life, Jo decides to put everything on this last punch. He spends a willpower to increase his next brawl roll. As he punches his opponent he feels his life magic surging forth (spends 1 mana) granting him extra strength. Instead of +3, he gets a total bonus of +5.
    Mary is a space incarnate with space 3. Running in the rooftops while being chased, she finds that she has to jump across a big gap. Fearing for her life, she spends a willpower point to help her with the athletics roll. As she jumps, she envisions the gap becoming smaller, as space tries to minimize the distance. For a willpower and a mana, she gains +6 instead of +3

At 5 dots, this merit represents that you are one with the principles of your sphere, depending on your sphere you gain additional benefits:

Space: you always know your surroundings, like a minimap. This effect has a radius equal to half your dots in space (round up). By spending a mana, multiply this radius by 10 for 1 turn.

Life: you can spend a willpower point as an instant action. For rounds equal to half your life sphere dots (round up), you can spend a mana point to get the willpower bonus (including this merit's boost) on one physical, non magical, skill roll per round.

Mind:by spending the willpower point as an instant action, you can increase the duration of this merit to half mind dots scenes, at the cost of 1 mana per scene. This boost can only be applied into non magical, mental, skill rolls.

Prime: increase your dice pool to counterspell by half your prime dots

Time: increase your initiative by half your time dots

Matter:increase your non magical damage vs inanimate objects by half your matter dots

Fate: you can reroll a single die in a non magical roll. You can do so half your fate dots times per chapter

Spirit: this merit can be applied to ALL mundane skill rolls in umbra or while in twillight state. Spirits recognise you as an entity with half your spirit dots as your rank.

Death: when you kill a living being of at least your size, gain a bonus equal to half your death dots on ALL rolls for the next turn.

Forces: ???

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post

Thanks - sorry if I was a bit snippy, it's just a bit of a sore spot for me.
      I understand. Hmm. Actually, you mind if I make my own version of the Merit instead? Personally, I can see the Mage Sight and Mage Armor being provided by two separate Merits.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Shroudb There aren't any spheres.

Comment

Seeing as I like the concept of Arcana-Strewn Nature but feel the inclusion of two Attainments is too much, here's an alternative take on it.

Illumination (••)
          Prerequisites: Proximi
          Effect: In addition to their Blessings, certain Proximi can peer into and gain insights from those threads of the Tapestry that they are resonant towards. By spending a point of Mana and Willpower each, they can use Active Mage Sight flavored according to a specific Blessing Arcanum. This Merit can be purchased up to three times, each keyed to a Blessing Arcanum. If a character possesses more than one version, he may spend additional Mana to invoke them during the scene.

Drawback: Illuminated Proximi suffer a more pronounced version of the drawback to using Active Mage Sight. They take a -4 modifier to all rolls unrelated to using or perceiving magic.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

I understand. Hmm. Actually, you mind if I make my own version of the Merit instead? Personally, I can see the Mage Sight and Mage Armor being provided by two separate Merits.
            Sure, go right ahead!

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
              Shroudb There aren't any spheres.
              Meh, sphere, arcana, potato potato

Comment

Here's something for those who favor the traditional method of crafting Perfected metals.

Seeker of Perfection (• to •••••)
                Prerequisites: Awakened, Resolve or Composure 3
                Effect: The Mage has worked with Perfected metals by traditional means long enough that he can transmute them from their base substance with more efficiency. Each dot purchased in this Merit halves the minimum 'resting' period, rounded down, between every ten passes.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Vent0. Added to a couple of your latest Merits here.

Paradox Eater (•••)
                  Prerequisites: Sleeper or Fitful Slumber
                  Effect: Some Sleepers and Sleepwalkers draw out the Abyss in a manner that allows them to draw strength from it. While the former achieves this through the shard of the Lie within their souls, the latter attain this power from the same exposure to magic that shocks them out of the Curse. Whenever a Paradox manifests in their presence, they may spend Willpower to roll a dice pool equal to their Integrity. Each success scored allows them to 'devour' one Reach and heal a point of lethal damage.

Drawback: Taking Abyssal energy unto oneself can leave deep stains upon the soul. Each use of this Merit is treated as a Breaking Point. Furthermore, whenever a Mage must roll for Paradox in the character's presence, he adds an additional die to the Paradox pool.

Herald (•••)
                  Prerequisites: Sleepwalker
                  Effect: Certain Sleepwalkers can not only bear a Mage's spells, but maintain them through force of will should they be conferred into their hands. An Awakened character may spend a Willpower point to anchor a spell into a willing Sleepwalker's soul. The Sleepwalker can maintain a number of active spells equal to the higher of Resolve or Composure. Any spell in excess of this limit is treated as if it were relinquished with a Willpower point.
                  For Paradox Eater (and its kin), what about the ability to acquire and act as a "carrier" for Paradox Conditions? Sleepers can't really be affected by most of them, but maybe they automatically pass them off to Mages they near/touch/witness-the-spell-casting-of?

Hmm. The point of Herald was to give a Sleepwalker more control over the spells they hold. But I just reread the section and Mages don't actually have much more control over spells already cast. So not much usefulness. Maybe allow said Sleepwalkers to be Imbued, as per Imbue item, granting them a few spells they can "cast" by releasing them?

Hmm. What about a Sleepwalker Merit that let's them borrow a Mage's Occultation via the magic/Spell they are Holding? One the one hand, this renders them harder to detect, ideally even by the Mage's enemies. On the other, it drives them away from everyone else (who start to forget them). I could see it especially common among pawns/cultists of the Mad.
                  Last edited by Vent0; 08-15-2016, 04:37 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                    For Paradox Eater (and its kin), what about the ability to acquire and act as a "carrier" for Paradox Conditions? Sleepers can't really be affected by most of them, but maybe they automatically pass them off to Mages they near/touch/witness-the-spell-casting-of?
                    That's an interesting idea. Not sure if it skirts too close to that one Sleepwalker Merit that deals in Paradox.

Hmm. The point of Herald was to give a Sleepwalker more control over the spells they hold. But I just reread the section and Mages don't actually have much more control over spells already cast. So not much usefulness. Maybe allow said Sleepwalkers to be Imbued, as per Imbue item, granting them a few spells they can "cast" by releasing them?
                    Do try writing this down please x3

Hmm. What about a Sleepwalker Merit that let's them borrow a Mage's Occultation via the magic/Spell they are Holding? One the one hand, this renders them harder to detect, ideally even by the Mage's enemies. On the other, it drives them away from everyone else (who start to forget them). I could see it especially common among pawns/cultists of the Mad.
                    Hmm. This could work. Try elaborating on it some more with a writeup if possible.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

• Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                      That's an interesting idea. Not sure if it skirts too close to that one Sleepwalker Merit that deals in Paradox.
                      Which one is that?

Do try writing this down please x3
                      Herald (•+, Special)
                      Effect: The character can now act as if they were an object for the purposes of Imbued Item. Spells (and Mana) can be placed in their care so that they can then later active them. Treat this as Imbued Item (regarding dot totals and their effects), except it is the character holding the magic, not an item in their possession, and they may spend Willpower in place of Mana to activate the spell.
                      Note: Each spell held takes up one instance of Spell Control that the Sleepwalker can hold. The Banner Carrier merit is recommended for the capacity of holding more than a few spells. Alternatively, the Mage who cast the Imbued spell can Release it, with all the consequences that implies.
                      [Comments: Turning people into Imbued Items since 2016. Though while writing, it occurs to me you might be able to accomplish similar results with Imbued tattoos and get some sweet tattoo magic in there.]

Hmm. This could work. Try elaborating on it some more with a writeup if possible.
                      Second-hand Secrecy (•)
                      Effect: You can borrow some of the obscuring nature of Supernal Magic and your patron Mage's Occultation. When holding a Spell for a Mage, you can also take advantage of their level of Occultation (as per the Merit) as if you possessed it.
                      Drawback: This effect also extends to Sleepers as if the character were one of the Mad. They quickly become forgotten by the normal world at large, and this separation can drive many Sleepwalkers insane or into unhealthy dependency with Awakened masters.
                      [Comment: Yes, your Sleepwalker Banner Carriers are safer from detection, but they also are cut off from their peers and family. This also makes Mad One cults a shadowy nightmare that fade from awareness and are difficult to track just as much as their leader.]
                      Last edited by Vent0; 12-07-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                        Which one is that?
                        I can't recall atm. But I know it allowed a Sleepwalker to willingly suffer a Paradox Condition from a Mage to humble them.

Herald (•+, Special)
                        Effect: The character can now act as if they were an object for the purposes of Imbued Item. Spells (and Mana) can be placed in their care so that they can then later active them. Treat this as Imbued Item (regarding dot totals and their effects), except it is the character holding the magic, not an item in their possession, and they may spend Willpower in place of Mana to activate the spell.
                        Note: Each spell held takes up one instance of Spell Control that the Sleepwalker can hold. The Banner Carrier merit is recommended for the capacity of holding more than a few spells.
                        [Comments: Turning people into Imbued Items since 2016. Though while writing, it occurs to me you might be able to accomplish similar results with Imbued tattoos and get some sweat tattoo magic in there.]
                        This looks much better. I'll take a look at a similar Merit done by PenDragon and make a comparison between the two before I give more constructive critique.

Second-hand Secrecy (•)
                        Effect: You can borrow some of the obscuring nature of Supernal Magic and your patron Mage's Occultation. When holding a Spell for a Mage, you can also take advantage of their level of Occultation (as per the Merit) as if you possessed it.
                        Drawback: This effect also extends to Sleepers as if the character were one of the Mad. They quickly become forgotten by the normal world at large, and this separation can drive many Sleepwalkers insane or into unhealthy dependency with Awakened masters.
                        [Comment: Yes, you Sleepwalker Banner Carriers are safer from detection, but they also are cut off from their peers and family. This also makes Mad One cults a shadowy nightmare that fade from awareness and are difficult to track just as much as their leader.]
                        Dang. Now, that is harsh.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                        Age of Azar
                        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

• Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                          I can't recall atm. But I know it allowed a Sleepwalker to willingly suffer a Paradox Condition from a Mage to humble them.
                          Ritual Martyr? That only applies to a Sleepwalker participating in Rituals.

This looks much better. I'll take a look at a similar Merit done by PenDragon and make a comparison between the two before I give more constructive critique.
                          Oh? I'd be interested in the comparison as well.

Dang. Now, that is harsh.
                          Well, you don't have to hold spells or borrow Occultation. Just be aware the extra "cover" comes with costs.

And beware Mad Cults where this is common. They could have a slew of Spell carrying cultists hiding out in a tenement and no one would know. Just make sure they get food and water occasionally.

What about one that lets a Sleepwalker perform an Oblation for Mana? Only at Hallows? Once per day/week?

Comment

• Some more, this time for Mage-Hunters

Spell Thief (Supernatural, • to •••••)
                            Prerequisite: Sleepwalker
                            Effect: You can touch the subject of a spell, spend 1 Willpower point, and make a Clash of Wills roll using Willpower to take control of that spell. If successful, the spell is now treated as if you were the Mage who cast it (Rolling any additional Clash of Wills regarding it using your Willpower). When you steal the spell, you may at that moment alter the target to yourself (you are unable to do so in the future). After that, you may maintain the spell, cancel it, or even Release it. You can only steal control of spells whose highest Arcana is equal to or less than your dots in this merit.
                            Drawback: You can only maintain a number of spells via this method equal to the lower of your Resolve or Composure - additional spells are automatically cancelled unless you choose to Release them. Additionally, you are marked by the Nimbus of each Mage who's spell you’ve stolen.
                            [Comments: Swipe the defensive spells from a Mage? Sure. Take the life extension magics from a Mage for yourself? No problem. "Eat" the hex from a buddy and then cancel it? Go right ahead. You could even assemble a rickety collection of enchantments by Releasing them. Warranty gets void, though.]

Spell Mimic (•••)
                            Prerequisites: Spell Thief •+, Herald •+
                            Effect: You can now copy and retain spells that you’ve usurped. Whenever you take control of a spell with Spell Thief, you can later treat it as if a Mage Imbued it into you as per Herald.
                            Drawback: Whenever you integrate a spell into your Pattern, you are immediately affected by the Immediate Nimbus of the Mage who cast it.
                            [Comments: Don't just swipe existing magics - copy them for later use. Some side effects may occur.]

Spell Catch (••)
                            Prerequisite: Spell Thief •+
                            Effect: You can now engage in a spell Dodge action against aimed spells - whenever you succeed in your Dodge roll against the aimed spell, you may attempt to take control of it as if you used Spell Thief. The following turn, you may “redirect” it at another target, or cancel it.
                            [Comments: When the lightning bolts fly, you can amaze your friends and confound your foes by throwing them back like a hot potato. Just remember you have no such defense against more indirect assaults.]

Oh, I also added an addendum to the Drawback for Herald - you can get around it by having whoever cast the Imbued Spell Release it, with the usual consequences depending on the method (discount Deviants who've had "their" spell's sloppily Released? Sure!).
                            Last edited by Vent0; 08-19-2016, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                              Oh? I'd be interested in the comparison as well.
                              My take was closer to a subsplat than a merit, but is conceptually similar. I buffed the Imbued subject slightly so they can better use the spell's they are given, and made a couple entries for how one might become imbued (Mages aren't the only option). Give it a look: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.e6p06i9c4368

P.S. I quite like the second hand secrecy merit.

Onyx Path Moderator
                              Mod Voice is RED*
                              *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
                              Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

• So, wrestling with an idea for a merit that allows you to use your emotions to fuel your magic. Magic requires Will, but emotions can fuel that at a cost of precision. Something like you can take one or two dice using emotions as a Yantra, but for each die you take the ST gets a free Reach to assign how they want similar to what they get when there's a Paradox. Also these Reach stack with any Paradox Reach if it comes up.

Comment

Working...
                                X