X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deionscribe
    started a topic Homebrew Mage Merits

Homebrew Mage Merits

At long last, the list on the main post has finally gotten big enough to be moved into its own GDocs. Feel free to review them in the following links while adding your own contributions to this thread.

Awakened Merits
    Sleeper Merits
    Sleepwalker Merits
    Proximi Merits
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 08-13-2016, 11:19 AM.

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Affirmation (● To ●●●●●)
    Prerequisite: Dedicated Vow

Your Dedicated Vow requires you to not only maintain a certain mundane type of conduct, but also requires you to proactively affirm it with your spells. For example: a pacifist Mage must use magic to prevent violence, while an honest Mage must use magic to reveal falsehoods. While upholding his Dedicated Vow, he gains a Yantra for the relevant spells equal to [Merit Rating]. He must dedicate one of his Gnosis-slots to benefit from this Yantra, as usual.

However, if he casts a spell that goes against his code or principle of behavior, he not only loses the benefits of the Dedicated Vow, but it also counts as an Act of Hubris, which rolls a basic dice pool of [6 - Merit Rating]. Should this Act Of Hubris result in a Dramatic Failure, the resulting Persistent Hubris Condition does not have to be Resolved by losing another dot of Wisdom. Instead, the Mage can go through extreme complications or hardships to readopt the Dedicated Vow in a more committed manner.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 06-22-2022, 11:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    The following Merit is based on Passionate Sorcery by amechra.

Pathos Imago (• or ••)
    Prerequisites: Mage

You can draw upon emotion-based Conditions to fuel your magic. In other words, you gain a Yantra for spells which symbolically match the emotion. This Yantra gives +1 if the Condition is Persistent, +2 if it is non-Persistent. Furthermore, it increases by another +1 for each of the criteria below.

• The spell will count as an Act of Hubris rolled with at least a -1 penalty after all modifiers are factored.

• The spell automatically suffers a minimum of Paradox dice equal to your basic Over-Reaching (e.g. 1 Paradox die at Gnosis 1, 2 Paradox dice at Gnosis 3, and 3 Paradox dice at Gnosis 5). This cannot go lower through the usual methods of mitigation. This Paradox is not Abyssal in nature, and is closer to the type that affects Unsafely Relinquished spells over time.

• The Condition would be Resolved by the spell if it is non-Persistent, or would give a Beat if it is Persistent.

With the 1 dot version of the Merit, the emotion must be relatively specific. For example: anger towards the Seers Of The Throne, or fear of losing your Sleeper family. With the 2 dots version of the Merit, you can choose an entire category of emotion, such as joy or sorrow in general.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 04-16-2022, 03:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BlueWinds
    replied
    The Thorn's Scratch (•, Supernatural)
    Prerequisites: Fate 1
    Effect: Naomi bears beneath her left eye a scratch - a scar left by a close encounter with the devil himself. She left behind a trace of blood and some of her ability to pass as normal, but, like a good witch, she took more than she gave. The scar can be used as a +2 yantra on any spell that Sleepers might witness. If used in this way, the spell is always obviously unnatural to anyone who succeeds on a roll of Wits + Occult - (Naomi's Manipulation), regardless of how subtle its effects might otherwise be.

Leave a comment:

• thenate
    replied
    It's thread necromancy, but I prefer that to a new thread.

Arcane Mind (3,4, and 5 dot awakened merit)
    Requires: Gnosis 2, Wits 3, Prime 1, Occult 3
    Benefits: When a single item, action, or environmental Yantra has such alignment with the spell being cast that it could be used as a Yantra in multiple ways, the merit represents particular ease incorporating the symbolism. Significant symbolism is a form that, of itself, would provide a +1 or better Yantra bonus.

The 3 dot version means that a Yantra that is being used in a single manner and which has at least 2 other forms of significant symbolism not otherwise incorporated into the casting can improve the Yantra bonus by +1. This can only be used on a single Yantra source at a time. The incorporation provides only an improvement to the primary Yantra incorporated and doesn't apply the benefits from the other forms, nor does it count against the total number of Yantra permitted.

The 4 dot version means that incorporating at least 3 forms of the symbols at can provide a +2 bonus to the bonus of another use of the source. Otherwise, it works as the 3 dot version. This can still only be applied to a single Yantra source at a time.

The 5 dot version allows multiple Yantras to be affected at a given time and otherwise works as the previous.

Leave a comment:

• Eleizel
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Shadow Name costs less and is just as potent.
    Nothing more to say XD

Leave a comment:

• Mrmdubois
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

I saw, but i still think that +3 bonuses are too powerful even for 4 dot merits, just personally. Even if it is limited in scope somewhat.
    Shadow Name costs less and is just as potent.

Leave a comment:

• Eleizel
    replied

I saw, but i still think that +3 bonuses are too powerful even for 4 dot merits, just personally. Even if it is limited in scope somewhat.
    It just depends on the power level you want in your game. For me it has been working fine, while on combat, the player almost always just add one yantra anyways, and while ritually casting, one more dice has never be too unbalanced, so if for you works better to limit the merit to +2, then just go for it!

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Originally posted by Eleizel View Post
    I have modified how the merit gives its bonus but it should work as this: +1 with the 2 merit version, +2 with the 3 merit version, and +3 with the 4 one
    Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 11-30-2018, 01:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eleizel
    replied
    Perhaps just +2 for the 4 dot version?
    I have modified how the merit gives its bonus but it should work as this: +1 with the 2 merit version, +2 with the 3 merit version, and +3 with the 4 one

Leave a comment:

• Eleizel
    replied
    Thanks for the reply! Actually, yes, it would give +1 with the 2 merit version, +2 with the 3 merit version, and +3 with the 4 one. As a yantra I think it should work like the shadow name works, as a persona yantra resonating with the focus and the studies you haver undergone for the chosen purview.

Leave a comment:

• Mrmdubois
    replied
    Originally posted by Eleizel View Post
    I came up with this Merit a while ago, but it might be of use for somebody!
    Magical Focus(•• to ••••)

Prerequisites Awakened, Arcanum at 3 or more. Effect: Once a Mage has studied an Arcanum deep enough to understand its basics principles, he can begin to specialize in a given field within the Arcanum. When you buy this merit, you must choose one purview within the Arcanum chosen. A few examples are: Death (shadows), Fate (boons), Matter (solids) and so on. When casting spells within the chosen purview, the casting roll gains a +1 to +3 bonus dice and counts as a Yantra. Also, once per game session, and before rolling the spellcasting roll, you can choose to have an exceptional success on 3 successes. You can purchase this merit only once for a given Arcanum, but you can purchase it for a number of different Arcana equal to your Gnosis.
    Neat idea. I’d clarify that the bonus is 1 per dot purchased after the initial 2 for purchase that grants +1. I’d also specify what kind of Yantra the bonus is, or require that the player determine what kind of Yantra it will be. Like perhaps the one with Matter (Solids) decides that it will be an Environment Yantra tied to workshops and places where machinery are used/made.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Perhaps just +2 for the 4 dot version?

Leave a comment:

• Eleizel
    replied
    I came up with this Merit a while ago, but it might be of use for somebody!
    Magical Focus(•• to ••••)

Prerequisites Awakened, Arcanum at 3 or more. Effect: Once a Mage has studied an Arcanum deep enough to understand its basics principles, he can begin to specialize in a given field within the Arcanum. When you buy this merit, you must choose one purview within the Arcanum chosen. A few examples are: Death (shadows), Fate (boons), Matter (solids) and so on. When casting spells within the chosen purview, the mage can use this merit as persona Yantra with a bonus equal to the points in this merit minus 1. Also, once per game session, and before rolling the spellcasting roll, you can choose to have an exceptional success on 3 successes. You can purchase this merit only once for a given Arcanum, but you can purchase it for a number of different Arcana equal to your Gnosis.
    Last edited by Eleizel; 11-30-2018, 07:04 AM. Reason: Fixes the type of yantra and clarified how it works

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    I had this idea some time ago, but then completely forgot to post it:

Fortune Fracking (•••)
    Prerequisite: Fate •••

All mages possess the ability to scour their physical forms for Mana, but some learn ways of converting more esoteric aspects of their Pattern into mystical power. With this Merit, a mage can voluntarily accept a Hex with a Potency up to their dots in Fate; in return, the mage gains a number of points of Mana equal to the Hex's Potency. The Storyteller designs the Hex, and, like resistant damage, it cannot be mitigated or dispelled by supernatural means. Use of this Merit counts toward the number of times per day a mage may scour their own Pattern.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X