Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[2E] Option – Athenea requisitions for all Pentacle ( + Favour Condition )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Option – Athenea requisitions for all Pentacle ( + Favour Condition )

Note: It’s not hack per se, as it describes setting as it works in Mysterium book, updated to 2E.

In Pentacle society, Atheneum is open to any Pentacle mage in region. Or at least it’s ideal. All the knowledge under Curator’s care is under his judgment to spread. However, most let use it’s sources to brethren in others Orders on some common guidelines – here they are presented.

As in 2E all Orders can share they secrets with their members, Mysterium seems unneeded with their idea of sharing lore with others Orders. Nothing could be more wrong. All other Diamond Orders need strict hierarchy to access their source. And truth is that other Orders do not have as much knowledge as Mysterium in their Athenea – so often other Orders members still comes to Athenea for lore only Mystagogues can ensure. Still, Mysterium use this for improving their social standing in Consilia or Pentacle society at large, supporting local Ruling Councils as they unify local community of Awakened.

System: Mysterium let you procure their lore and Rotes based on mechanics of Consilium/Order Status Merit ( MtAw 2E, p. 100). For characters in good standing for Atheneum, assume that Curator let them access those perks at one level lower of their Consilium Status and at their Order Status two level lower. Curator can share more lore freely if he deem character suitable, up to characters Order or Consilium Status, whichever is higher. Those higher access request are then treated as Favours of character ( or cabal ) for the Atheneum. Character ( or whole cabal ) takes then Favour Condition.

Favour (Persistant)
    The character has taken Favour in Awakened society, promising to pay with service, help or Mana to the target of Condition. He can agree this on particular character or organisation of mages, like Consilium or Order.

Resolution: Request for target of Condition is fulfilled. Or there is payment in Mana for it.

Beat: Gain a Beat whenever the character confronted with target of Favour and needs to have Social roll against him before resolving Condition. For this gaining Beat, representatives of Organisation are treated as target of Favour when operating in their legal scope – so Atheneum is represented by Curator and other Mysterium members working for Atheneum.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

I'm running a 2E game right now where i'm using New York. With the need to try to get the entrenched Seers out of Manhattan, the Mysterium opened up a secret Athenea, and expanded it to include room for all 4 diamond orders, and the libertines to share knowledge. It has an entrance in all 5 boroughs that are able to be moved around. It was inspired by a combination of Hogwarts, and Breakbills. Although each order still hordes there rotes, etc, and doesn't share easily...they do share some. Each order has a wing in the facility.

I call it "The Belgrave Institute".

It's existence allows for collaboration with the Pentacle that isn't easily challenged by the Iron Pyramid. Each segment of it I've been carefully figuring how the existing magic can control/create aspects of it without fudging any rules. Also as they expand it I roll to see if paradox is generated, and come up with ways the Abyss can twist a section of it, and how the awakened deal with it. It's a rewarding and dangerous resource all at the same time.

I like your Option. I don't think i'll go with it for requisitions, but you can get 1 dot in status in any of the other orders regardless of which one you belong to. This allows for people outside the orders to get things like Techne, and Adamant Hand. I really like the Favour condition. That's awesome.

Comment

Glad you like it!

Originally posted by Bael the Cruel View Post
      I'm running a 2E game right now where i'm using New York. With the need to try to get the entrenched Seers out of Manhattan, the Mysterium opened up a secret Athenea, and expanded it to include room for all 4 diamond orders, and the libertines to share knowledge. It has an entrance in all 5 boroughs that are able to be moved around. It was inspired by a combination of Hogwarts, and Breakbills. Although each order still hordes there rotes, etc, and doesn't share easily...they do share some. Each order has a wing in the facility.

I call it "The Belgrave Institute".

It's existence allows for collaboration with the Pentacle that isn't easily challenged by the Iron Pyramid. Each segment of it I've been carefully figuring how the existing magic can control/create aspects of it without fudging any rules. Also as they expand it I roll to see if paradox is generated, and come up with ways the Abyss can twist a section of it, and how the awakened deal with it. It's a rewarding and dangerous resource all at the same time.
      Don't get me wrong but... You run it wrong ( or rather, contrary to Mysterium book ). Mysterium's stick is that they want others to use their lore and their Rotes - to make other mages depended on that.

As any Rote can be used by any mage ( yeah, I also find out this few weeks ago! ), Mysterium with it's Scriptorium is Awakened equivalent of bank - having highly usable knowledge for ANY Awakened that can use it. This place Mysterium at high political ground - they can get Favours, they can even ask to return new Artifacts or Rotes from uncovered Temples of Time Before from mages outside of their Order.

You do not need 5 chambers in Atheneum for Orders lore - it's all can be in one common Scriptorium and Censorium of Atheneum! If this did not have so much power in Mysterium hands, I would bet that Censoriums, in reality, would be run by Guardians of the Veil that come and go in to Atheneum and are in very good terms with Curator.

I don't think i'll go with it for requisitions, but you can get 1 dot in status in any of the other orders regardless of which one you belong to. This allows for people outside the orders to get things like Techne, and Adamant Hand.
      Getting other Orders Merits is questionable - but there is topic about it already. I think that now Mysterium nicely fit larger Pentacle culture where they get you knowledge your normal Order don't have or can't get you yet.

Need those rare "vulgar" spells to defend Mysteries as Guardian and your Epopt will not teach you? Just go to nearest Atheneum and get heart of local Curator.

I really like the Favour condition. That's awesome.
      Thinking about adding small penalty for Condition holder against influences of Favour target. What do you think about it?
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-10-2016, 05:18 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Isn't that Favour condition already covered by the Leveraged condition? Or is there some crucial difference I'm missing?

Comment

Leveraged sounds as very confrontational - "Your character has been blackmailed, tricked, convinced, or otherwise leveraged into doing what another character wishes."

Also, it is more "use and resolve it" - there is no Beat award for sustaining this Condition.

In Mage ( at least in Sanctum & Sigil ) Favours hang on you and make you anchored to people or organizations you are "owning" - and they make pressure on you with that. Laverged sounds more like "do this and burn bridges" than making long relations between participants.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Leveraged is vastly different. Favour is tit for tat. You got something out of it, and now you need to repay that with about equal reciprocation. Leveraged, you didn't necessarily get anything form that. It wasn't a deal. You've been compromised, and are in a bad spot. Who ever holds leverage over you isn't necessarily going to go bragging about it..but if they did it could be to destroy you. Favour is far more sociall

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
              Glad you like it!

Don't get me wrong but... You run it wrong ( or rather, contrary to Mysterium book ). Mysterium's stick is that they want others to use their lore and their Rotes - to make other mages depended on that.

As any Rote can be used by any mage ( yeah, I also find out this few weeks ago! ), Mysterium with it's Scriptorium is Awakened equivalent of bank - having highly usable knowledge for ANY Awakened that can use it. This place Mysterium at high political ground - they can get Favours, they can even ask to return new Artifacts or Rotes from uncovered Temples of Time Before from mages outside of their Order.

You do not need 5 chambers in Atheneum for Orders lore - it's all can be in one common Scriptorium and Censorium of Atheneum! If this did not have so much power in Mysterium hands, I would bet that Censoriums, in reality, would be run by Guardians of the Veil that come and go in to Atheneum and are in very good terms with Curator.

Getting other Orders Merits is questionable - but there is topic about it already. I think that now Mysterium nicely fit larger Pentacle culture where they get you knowledge your normal Order don't have or can't get you yet.

Need those rare "vulgar" spells to defend Mysteries as Guardian and your Epopt will not teach you? Just go to nearest Atheneum and get heart of local Curator.
              That actually sounds awesome. I can see the Free Council chaffing a bit at this. They wouldn't be able to compete with this (which just makes it even more delicious), but they'll have an operation for getting magic items. They have a power smith in my game, and I think i'll kick that up a notch and have a cabal or two that specialize in procuring or modifying goods.

Thinking about adding small penalty for Condition holder against influences of Favour target. What do you think about it?
              I would negate 10-again on social rolls involving the target unless you show credible proof you are willing to payback the favour. I wouldn't get too harsh with it. Anyone wiling to do you a favour to begin with wants you to succeed, so they can get a return on their investment.

Comment

Speaking of the Free Council, isn't free access the whole point of Lorehouses as opposed to Aethenea?

Comment

It might be nonstandard for the setting, but 1)Guidelines, more than actual Rules, and 2) Seer Takeovers and a protracted cross-borough war make for non-standard situations. Seems like a great setup to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Juhn View Post
                    Speaking of the Free Council, isn't free access the whole point of Lorehouses as opposed to Aethenea?
                    That and that they make you pay hard cash or Mana for those. Also, Libertines believe in selling goods. Mysterium Atheneum is run by Curator on Favours system - if Curator don't like you, he will just lock a things for you. Free Council can sell you stuff even when would don't like you. But everyone are in pockets of Mysterium, as rest of Diamond prefers their millenia old allay than buch of ex-Nameless hippies running their 'video store' ( i.e. Lorehouse ).

But, in reality, both Atheneum and Lorehouses are open to all Pentacle mages. In Atheneum you pay in Favors ( or that Curator likes you ) and in Lorehouse you always pay in cash or Tass. Mysterium makes 'political statement' with their services, Free Council just want to make some money.
                    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-30-2016, 03:35 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Lorehouses can charge things other than cash and Tass.

Comment

.... Favour is tit for tat. You got something out of it, and now you need to repay that with about equal reciprocation...
                        In Mage. I think favors are more than tit for tat. Unless they are informal vague empty promises...

I mean, isn't that covered by Lex Magica? I suppose there might be supernatural influences that apply to the one that promises or demands a "Favor" (favor invoked by Lex Magica) as opoosed to simple favor ("tit for tat" situations, without invoking the Lex)

Example1: "I promise you, man. If you just borrow me your artifact just this once, I'll allow you to access my mentor's demesne for a whole weekend"
                        Example2: "By invoking the Iron Law of the current Pentalce Counsil, I ask for your permition to use your artifact until the sunset. In exchange I pledge my mentor's Soul Stone under your possession for two planetary rotations"
                        Last edited by Shadowjim12; 10-02-2016, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Favor system DO NOT state what you will get to do in return. It's very much Godfather's 'some day, maybe this day never comes, you will do something for me...' - biggest problem for Favor taking is untill oficially you are asked to repay, you are on your debter hook with 'maybe today he will want something from me'...

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Uh, well that's not correct, favor trading can definitely set up expectations of what favors will be traded up front instead of just ominously hanging over you.

Comment

But then you will not need Favor Condition. If it's more 'you will help me with this Mystery and I will give you access on my Library thing', there is no real Favor hanging on characters - because Favor is instantly 'cashed in'.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                              X