Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle [2E]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle [2E]

I've been working on this ever since Dave started previewing 2E, and it's still a work in progress.

Design Goals

The goal of this setting hack is to adapt the Wizarding Britain setting from J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter novels to use the spellcasting system and metaphysics of Mage: the Awakening. In doing so, I have changed the Wizarding World in a few ways.

First, for the purposes of this adaptation, Hogwarts and London’s Ministry of Magic exists mostly as depicted in the novels, but the world outside of Britain exists mainly as described in the Mage: the Awakening 2E core book and 1E supplements. For instance, Hogwarts graduates who visit New England will find the setting depicted in Boston Unveiled rather than the Magical Congress of the United States as depicted in the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them film(s). The reason for this is that I want students who graduate from Hogwarts (and perhaps defeat Voldemort) to have a much wider world to enter into. Rather than a Nameless Order of Liches (Death Eaters) being the world’s most deadly and dangerous wizards of all time, players will also have to contend with Scelesti, Reapers, Mad Ones, and Seers of the Throne in addition to pursuing new and wondrous Mysteries.

The second change is that, while Lord Voldemort is assumed to have existed during his first rise to power, I do not assume the existence of Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, or Ron Weasley. This is so that player characters can either assume their roles directly, or play as another set of students caught up in pivotal events.

The third change is that I’ve moved classes, teachers, and subjects around in order to accommodate the differences between the magic used in the Harry Potter novels and the magic in Mage: the Awakening 2E. When possible, I defer the Mage interpretation of a subject. Thus, wands function as one of many Path Tools rather than the singular focus of magical might, and Ancient Runes function as a written form of High Speech. I have included a glossary converting terms between Mage: the Awakening and the Harry Potter novels.

This is the second edition of the Hogwarts setting adaptation. The MtAw 1E version can be found here. Sources: I rewatched all of the Harry Potter films, read all of the novels, and I’ve browsed Pottermore for images and additional writing. I’ve used systems and setting material from Mage: the Awakening 2E, Chronicles of Darkness core book, Demon: the Descent, and World of Darkness: Chicago.

The full document can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hJ...Njqp_bjALMI_Vw Please let me know what you think!

Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
    Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

I've wanted to do something silly like this for a long time now. I like how much thought you put into this, making dementors unclean ones was a really good idea! I still find it weird the Free Council matches up with any of the houses though because its way too recent. I'd suggest making Hufflepuff Silver Ladder because the SL is a meritocracy and Hufflepuff believes in hard work. The Guardians would make a better Slytherin because at best the Slytherins are cautious and wary of the muggle society and Slytherin's behavior makes them good antagonists in Harry Potter, but in the context of Mage the Slytherins begin to make PERFECT sense because they'd be paranoid if muggle-born practitioners couldn't still have a lingering sympathy to the Abyss that could undo the school over centuries. Who better to be concerned of that then the Guardians?

I'd also suggest doing a bit more on how and why other supernatural splats would even bother putting up with the British consilium. in HP it sort of makes sense, but unless the vampires and warwoofs are as presented in HP as in here, then the new Mage 2E makes it much more likely that Elders and powerful warwoofs would not cow to the Consilium. Just my thoughts.

If the hogwarts classes aren't geared around arcana, I'm guessing that the practices are what the actual focus of the school is, as well as some philosophical application behind adapting the rotes (as in the usage of their appropriate skill accompaniments) and thus still get the classes we might be familiar with? Sort of like saying "this is the practice--this is how it utilizes the arcanum. what we're here to learn, though, is what to apply it for--which is divination" or the like?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
      I've wanted to do something silly like this for a long time now. I like how much thought you put into this, making dementors unclean ones was a really good idea! I still find it weird the Free Council matches up with any of the houses though because its way too recent. I'd suggest making Hufflepuff Silver Ladder because the SL is a meritocracy and Hufflepuff believes in hard work. The Guardians would make a better Slytherin because at best the Slytherins are cautious and wary of the muggle society and Slytherin's behavior makes them good antagonists in Harry Potter, but in the context of Mage the Slytherins begin to make PERFECT sense because they'd be paranoid if muggle-born practitioners couldn't still have a lingering sympathy to the Abyss that could undo the school over centuries. Who better to be concerned of that then the Guardians?

I'd also suggest doing a bit more on how and why other supernatural splats would even bother putting up with the British consilium. in HP it sort of makes sense, but unless the vampires and warwoofs are as presented in HP as in here, then the new Mage 2E makes it much more likely that Elders and powerful warwoofs would not cow to the Consilium. Just my thoughts.

If the hogwarts classes aren't geared around arcana, I'm guessing that the practices are what the actual focus of the school is, as well as some philosophical application behind adapting the rotes (as in the usage of their appropriate skill accompaniments) and thus still get the classes we might be familiar with? Sort of like saying "this is the practice--this is how it utilizes the arcanum. what we're here to learn, though, is what to apply it for--which is divination" or the like?

I'm glad you liked this! The reason I didn't match up the Guardians is because of the Crimson Veil. I highly doubt they'd be Ok with a child killing someone to join their order - especially since the Aurors already have their reputation as "dark wizard catchers."

I did modify Slytherin to be more like the Silver Ladder because for my own game, I wanted to dilute their tendencies toward evil and move their anti-muggle tendencies to Ravenclaw.

The bit about supernatural splats being subservient to the Consilium is a modified quote from the What-If section of the Chicago WOD book. I agree that I should probably put something in there about how that came to be. I suspect that when the Grindelwald's Ministry of Unity were kicked out of London in the 40s, the Silver Ladder sort of inherited the web of alliances and blackmail and just folded it into the Office for Control of Magical creatures.

Regarding the Arcana, I want to stat out the teaching staff with varying levels of Arcana, but that's a fairly complex task given that for the most part, the teachers' spells in the books don't map neatly to arcana divisions. However, a lot of the classes (ancient runes, arithrmancy, and so on) look like classes on Yantras, while others (charms, vanishment, transfiguration) look more like practices, so I kept that division. I marked some of the classes as "recurring" so that if a student wanted to raise another arcanum, they could retake classes on the practices to learn those arcana.

Comment

A lot of that makes perfect sense, especially the Crimson Veil, I forgot about that. I'm a Silver Ladder fan, but, I'm a fan of greek philosophy so of course I'm biased :P

Hogwarts operating like that in the WoD makes sense. The purpose of the school was to teach students how to use their magic to live in a wizarding world, afterall, not how to pursue obsessions and push the envelope of magical knowledge. They have their adult lives for that.

Comment

Hogwarts operating like that in the WoD makes sense. The purpose of the school was to teach students how to use their magic to live in a wizarding world, afterall, not how to pursue obsessions and push the envelope of magical knowledge. They have their adult lives for that.
          There's also Care of Magical Creatures, which is good for some obsessions. I expect that young wizards satisfy their obsessions (outside of just learning about spells) by making secret excursions to the Forbidden Forest or by breaking into the restricted section of the library, or even by seeking out the ghosts or the House Elves (spirits) hanging out in the kitchen. Even the secret passages of Hogwarts could be the focus of obsessions.

A lot of that makes perfect sense, especially the Crimson Veil, I forgot about that. I'm a Silver Ladder fan, but, I'm a fan of greek philosophy so of course I'm biased :P
          To me, the ideal Slytherin (without all the bigotry) is Professor Slughorn. He takes great pleasure in selecting the best students and using his web of social connections to propel them upward in society. Very Silver Ladder.
          Last edited by Octavo; 05-10-2016, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Indeed, Space magic is most certainly present at Hogwarts.

So, obviously you've put a great deal of time and effort into this. I applaud your work. And I agree with most of what you've done.

However, there is one glaring error, even given the slightly more relaxed chart for arcana mastery in 2e: There's simply no way that Professor Minerva McGonagal is a 10th degree master. Even 10th degree adept is unbelievable. Professor Flitwick being a 10th degree disciple is somewhat less hard to believe, if only because you expect that he hasn't progressed beyond being a disciple in any of the arcana, AND has very little else on his sheet of note (perhaps a high level of intelligence).

Beyond that I'll admit that it's slightly disappointing that there aren't any Mastigos on the staff. On a more positive note, the fact that the classes don't map the same is simply a byproduct of transforming the setting, so I must say that I like what you've done there.

Also, I really like how the houses have options for granting beats for both positive and negative reinforcement of their stereotypes. Concerning that, though, I had a question: is it possible to gain the positive beat without first gaining the negative one? The language you've used seems to indicate that you must first gain the negative impact first on a scene or two and I wasn't sure if that was your intention.

All in all, I really like what you've done. If I were to give one last criticism for now, I'd change the elder wand to give the rote or 8 again quality instead of 9 again. It just seems a little lackluster is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon777 View Post
              Indeed, Space magic is most certainly present at Hogwarts.

So, obviously you've put a great deal of time and effort into this. I applaud your work. And I agree with most of what you've done.

However, there is one glaring error, even given the slightly more relaxed chart for arcana mastery in 2e: There's simply no way that Professor Minerva McGonagal is a 10th degree master. Even 10th degree adept is unbelievable. Professor Flitwick being a 10th degree disciple is somewhat less hard to believe, if only because you expect that he hasn't progressed beyond being a disciple in any of the arcana, AND has very little else on his sheet of note (perhaps a high level of intelligence).

Beyond that I'll admit that it's slightly disappointing that there aren't any Mastigos on the staff. On a more positive note, the fact that the classes don't map the same is simply a byproduct of transforming the setting, so I must say that I like what you've done there.

Also, I really like how the houses have options for granting beats for both positive and negative reinforcement of their stereotypes. Concerning that, though, I had a question: is it possible to gain the positive beat without first gaining the negative one? The language you've used seems to indicate that you must first gain the negative impact first on a scene or two and I wasn't sure if that was your intention.

All in all, I really like what you've done. If I were to give one last criticism for now, I'd change the elder wand to give the rote or 8 again quality instead of 9 again. It just seems a little lackluster is all.
              Ah ha, you've found my little mistake. I assigned the teachers classes that showcase the practices, but that logic breaks down when you get to McGonagal. I may have to spend some time giving each teacher an Arcanum to Master.

Dolores Umbridge, who I've added to the permanent staff (shudder) is my one Mastigos. I do need to add more.

I'm glad you like the system for beats! I got that idea from the agenda conditions in Demon the Descent. I think I'd allow the positive beat to be gained without the negative one.

Regarding the Elder Wand: I wanted to give it 8-again, but Artifacts have severe restrictions on how much reach is allowed. I'm not quite done designing it since I don't have a great handle on the item merits.

Thanks for the review!

Comment

First off I love your chart with Harry potter terms and mage meanings.

I agree that proxima families are the best fit for showcasing Wizarding blood lines since that is their purpose in mage as well.

For hogswarts itself it could it not also be a 5 stone demenes? The effects of this would be an available +3 Yantra to all arcana and no risk of paradox while within the school. This way lessons on paradox are a safe exploration of prevention and containment while not effecting other classes. Though I do admit there were a few cases of other classes in the series being affected by possible instances of paradox.

Class textbooks could also be grimoire with spells needed for the class. More an explication of how students learn can Rotes during self study. These of course are grimoire that would not cost character XP since it is not a choice. Side note: The first book that students would get, would have the 'scribe grimoire' rote and all textbooks would be expected to be returned at the end of each school year.

I feel that joining an order would be best if held off until graduation but I do admit the lack of rote yantras as well as required XP to know high speech since your game likely would focus on just the schooling would be a bit extreme.

Some imbued items may also be required in classes when a mage lacks the arcana requines for the spell being taught but this is more a maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                  First off I love your chart with Harry potter terms and mage meanings.

I agree that proxima families are the best fit for showcasing Wizarding blood lines since that is their purpose in mage as well.

For hogswarts itself it could it not also be a 5 stone demenes? The effects of this would be an available +3 Yantra to all arcana and no risk of paradox while within the school. This way lessons on paradox are a safe exploration of prevention and containment while not effecting other classes. Though I do admit there were a few cases of other classes in the series being affected by possible instances of paradox.

Class textbooks could also be grimoire with spells needed for the class. More an explication of how students learn can Rotes during self study. These of course are grimoire that would not cost character XP since it is not a choice. Side note: The first book that students would get, would have the 'scribe grimoire' rote and all textbooks would be expected to be returned at the end of each school year.

I feel that joining an order would be best if held off until graduation but I do admit the lack of rote yantras as well as required XP to know high speech since your game likely would focus on just the schooling would be a bit extreme.

Some imbued items may also be required in classes when a mage lacks the arcana requines for the spell being taught but this is more a maybe.
                  I'm glad you liked my chart!

I didn't realize that 5 dot Demesnes could cover a vast estate. Hmm. I also imagine that each classroom has a section enchanted by "Display of Power" so that students can see the imago being formed.

I agree about Grimoires. I'd only have a player pay xp for one if they were planning to keep it after end of term.

Originally, graduation was when students had the option to join the orders, but I wanted year 7 to be a transition point between the Potterverse and the Awakeningverse - especially since the main characters of the books skipped year 7.

Comment

It's perfectly fine if the professors are second or third degree masters. I could even believe that Dumbledore is a fifth degree master given his status as the most powerful wizard in the wizengamot. Beyond that, though, breaks away from the typical Awakening setting.

Comment

What if the players select their order and it is reflected in class choice not house choice?

This I suggest because your house is more of a place where you sleep and make friends than where you learn (academically). Though it would shift the school into a five house organization instead of a four maybe paths could reflect what house a wizard falls into. Squibs / Sleepwalkers would be placed where it is deemed most likely (a guess) and proxima would be placed in their bloodline's house and would be moved if they awoke to another house's path.

However, this solution though it could fit a school that blends the lore of harry potter and mage I feel that an infusion of a fifth house could be too much of a change. A rough fix to this could be one house holding two paths but I feel that is sloppy.

Comment

Good to see this updated to 2E. Is it a coincidence it happened so soon after my necroing your 1e post?

I still would like to know how you'd port folks like Tonks and other metamorphmagi into this setting.

Comment

Okay, draft of my "Settings Accurate" version of Hogwarts - at end it will be sidebar in Ocatavo document, cause almost all is the same - beside history. I even use this as background formation for my own London Mage game.

Hogwarts as Diamond Academia

In the world of Mage: The Awakening there are, from time to time, build Academia - Mysterium's Atheneum keeps to teach young mages and prepare those few that Awaken when they are mere children for the life of wizards in the Fallen Reality. One of most famous and oldest in the world is Britain's Hogwarts, ancient fortress, created in X century by four ambitious mages of then Diamond alliance. They conjured with their magic a castle near Supernal Verge found in Scotland's deep forest and created portals from around whole kingdom, to lecture children sorcerers and prepare them to their life. They started Four Great Houses, each for their own Order, to teach yonunglings their philosophy in years of study. And it works the same as it today, as in X century - even if two Order become one only two centuries later and in over 100 years ago new Free Council sweeped through magical word community. Even then, Hogwarts stand as monument of power still in Diamond and is preparing a new generations of magicians.

Great Houses and Order relations:
                          • Gryffindor - Adamantine Arrow
                          • Hufflepuff - Mysterium ( previous Pancryptiates )
                          • Ravenclaw - Mysterium ( previous Keepers of the Word )
                          • Slytherin - Silver Ladder
                          Traditionally, Guardians of Veil can test any graduate they seem deem worthy and let the join elite Aurors faction.
                          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-11-2016, 03:34 AM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
                          My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                            What if the players select their order and it is reflected in class choice not house choice?

This I suggest because your house is more of a place where you sleep and make friends than where you learn (academically). Though it would shift the school into a five house organization instead of a four maybe paths could reflect what house a wizard falls into. Squibs / Sleepwalkers would be placed where it is deemed most likely (a guess) and proxima would be placed in their bloodline's house and would be moved if they awoke to another house's path.

However, this solution though it could fit a school that blends the lore of harry potter and mage I feel that an infusion of a fifth house could be too much of a change. A rough fix to this could be one house holding two paths but I feel that is sloppy.
                            Alternatively, it might be neat to have a rival school organize its students by paths. If a little more crossover isn't too much of a stretch, I'd say that's how Brakebills (from the Magicians) groups its students.
                            http://www.brakebillsu.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                              Okay, draft of my "Settings Accurate" version of Hogwarts - at end it will be sidebar in Ocatavo document, cause almost all is the same - beside history. I even use this as background formation for my own London Mage game.

Hogwarts as Diamond Academia

In the world of Mage: The Awakening there are, from time to time, build Academia - Mysterium's Atheneum keeps to teach young mages and prepear those few that Awaken when they are mere children for the life of wizards in the Fallen Reality. One of most famous and oldest in the world is Britain's Hogwart, ancient fortress, created in X century by four ambitious mages of then Diamond alliance.They conjured with their magic a castle near Supernal Verge found in deep forest and created portals from around whole kingdom, to lecture children sorcerers and preaper them to their life. They started Four Great Houses, each for their own Order, to teach yonunglings their philosophy in years of study. And it works the same as it today, as in X century - even if two Order become one only two centuries later and in over 100 years ago new Free Council sweeped throught magical word community. Even then, Hogwarts stand as show of power still in Diamond and is preparing a generations of magicians.

Great Houses and Order relations:
                              • Gryffindor - Adamantine Arrow
                              • Hufflepuff - Mysterium ( previous Pancryptia )
                              • Ravenclaw - Mysterium ( previous Keepers of the Word )
                              • Slytherin - Silver Ladder
                              Ah ha, split the two Mysterium orders into their Pre-Corpus Author orders. Nice.

Originally posted by AlgaeNymph View Post
                              Good to see this updated to 2E. Is it a coincidence it happened so soon after my necroing your 1e post?

I still would like to know how you'd port folks like Tonks and other metamorphmagi into this setting.
                              Maybe not too much of a coincidence.
                              If Proximi retained any powers on awakening, I'd use them for Tonks. Maybe metamorphmagi could be a merit representing a unique trait that allows one access to Mutable Mask both prior to and after awakening. Basically, design it using the Attainment guidelines and then sell it as a 3 dot merit or so.
                              Last edited by Octavo; 05-11-2016, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X